The Writers' Group 9,298 members · 56,449 stories
Comments ( 18 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 18

Derpy, that adorable pegasus we all love so much because she is the cutest, muffiniest thing there is and we just want to hugz her so much, is also not quite the brightest bulb. Her ditzy nature is a part of why we adore her. But... what if her nature changed?
It's a classic concept in many cartoons. A character with a simple or clumsy personality somehow instantaneously becoming a being of incredible intellect, most often demonstrated through more articulate speaking and understanding of complex concepts.
I'm writing a story involving this hilarious scenario but I've discovered a problem: clumsy or ditzy?
Controversy involving the peoples' pony is still fairly recent. I remember it clearly to this day. But I find myself unsure. Is Derpy clumsy or just dimwitted? There is in fact a difference and while these traits are similar, I find myself asking if it's appropriate or not for Derpy to be portrayed as a simpleton turned savant. Of the ponies, I can find no other character that can fill the role to what I feel is a classic concept.

Should we compare her to a character like Ed from Ed, Edd and Eddy or perhaps Patrick Star from Spongebob Squarepants? Both simple, lovable characters and they have played similar roles to the one I've described above. But is Derpy ready for this role? Is it even the right role for her at all? Should I try another pony? Should I write another story about Princess Luna trying to order a pizza or something and getting trolled by her sister? Should my story reveal exactly how she got her cutie mark and what it means? Or is the world not yet ready for Muffins for Algernon?

Or is the world not yet ready for Muffins for Algernon?

my sides

Honestly, I'd wait until she has more character development. You can use the comics as basis for her personality (she's confirmed to be a mail pony in them(!!!)), but if you want to play it safe, wait until you see how she interacts and then reverse that to make her the smart character.

If anything, I'd say that Derpy is clumsy, but lighthearted and upbeat. Her attitude combined with her general clumsiness leads others to think she's just a loveable idiot, but that's because very few have talked to her beyond yelling at her for her mistakes.

...Then again, this is a talking, flying horse we're talking about, so go with what's most comfortable for you!

Also, if I'm not mistaken, the "Derpy suddenly becomes Rain Man minus the SNL spoof" angle has been covered by a story or two already. Not sure, I'll have to do some digging.

YOU MEAN HOW CELESTIA IS REALLY LIKE- :D

DIS GUY? Lol jkjk. :derpytongue2:

912750 They have similar jawlines, though I don't know if Celestia can pull off the "anime lock of hair" thing.

Plus she doesn't even wear glasses. :eeyup:

912723 I actually admire the style she has in the Doctor whooves & Assistant comics because in those comics she isn't unintellegent... she's just a little clumsy from time to time, she's incredibly loyal to... whatever number that doctor is... and she is quite capable of carrying on a fine conversation if anypony would just speak to her for speaking's sake.

> Should I write another story about Princess Luna trying to order a pizza or something and getting trolled by her sister?

Please tell me that's a real thing. I would rub that story all over my frontal lobes.

Derpy is just clumsy. :derpyderp1:

Something I'm working on in my spare time. I was going to post a thread asking about some basic gaming terminology considering as how I'm now considered a casual gamer being as that I just play PS3, 360 and etc, etc without online capabilities. I know Luna's often portrayed as a gaming pony princess, an idea that's bucking awesome and I wanted to write a story about her in an extremely nerdy perspective, trying to accomplish the simple task of ordering food delivered only to have complications ensue because she's a princess, related to Celestia, tried to keep Equestria in a state of eternal night and is possibly da cutest, most wuvable widdle pony pwincess evwah.
I mean, look at her. The mare is millitant, that's clear. You know she plays CoD, Halo, TF2, Counterstrike and pugs with ponies to pwn noob flank whenever, wherever. Also, I want to have her get into a guild rivalry with a pony Will Wheaton. I'm thinking other members of her clan should be Derpy, Twist, Soarin, maybe Trixie, Lightning Dust, or one of my OCs like David Hasselhoof. Well, if he doesn't fit in with the gaming story he'll definitely fit in with the Ghostbusters crossover. I have high hopes for Ghostbuckers.

I think she probably has ADD (not ADHD), with the attendant distractibility and impulsiveness, and a healthy case of bad luck.

A lot of her clumsiness seems to stem from inattention, as when she kept jumping on the cloud, or bumped into that support beam thingy.

She can apparently be quite graceful when she's focused (witness the little flourish she made when she landed next to Dash).

912723 Derpy is smart, she is unable to show it to other pones unless its through means that have become part of her lifestyle. Giving somepony a muffin to show love, so she dosent remember her wicked mother.

Honestly, I think Derpy is just what the author wants her to be. As far as I've seen, Derpy's character has been mostly developed by the fanbase, so I suppose others are still free to interpret as they wish. People even write of their own interpretations of the mane six, even though their characters have been clearly illustrated by the show.
Every fic with Derpy that I've read has portrayed her as clumsy, but still as intelligent and apt as everyone else, but that's what the author chose her to be.
So it's up to you. If she's clumsy, then she's just clumsy. If she really is a ditz... well then, we still love Derpy :derpytongue2: :twilightsheepish:

912869 Her mom originally was going to name her Downsie McSyndrome, but the courts wouldn't allow it.

I think it'd be fun to read a fanfic where Derpy becomes superintelligent. That might not have to do with anything but I just wanted to bring that up

I think you should go for it. There are so many variations on her throughout the fandom that I don't think you can be seriously accused of blaspheming against the 'One True Derp'.

In just my own stuff, for example, my main AU story depicts her as 'Derpy Hooves', who is of below-average intelligence, but sweet and good at performing her duties once she has learned them, as well as exceptionally talented at reading wind currents.

In another, non-related story I'm working on in the background, she's 'Ditzy Doo', the hard-working and loving single mom who is of at least average intelligence, but is a little clumsy because of her eye condition.

Both are equally valid as far as I'm concerned, as your depiction would be, I'm sure. Some people might not appreciate it, but you can't please everybody.

912869 her mother only loved her father but she lost her when derpy was born like wicked step mother type of way she was given a doll by her dad and grandmother, named peaches(i think). Her mother took her into the Everfree forest and left her there with bubbles. She was stepped on by an ursa major and got derp syndrome. Her dad found her taught her how to be a male pony met a stallion had dinky and the the colt left her. adopts sparkler and meets the doctor. Her fathers still alive as the U jelly pony her grandmother passed of old age and the doctor and derpy have pip. she works another job as a mover and is an unofficial guardian of Cantorlot. This is fanfic material, use it wisely, if thats alright with you.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 18