The Writers' Group 9,298 members · 56,449 stories
Comments ( 35 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 35

So, I was wondering: Is there an official name for the war between Celestia and Nightmare Moon/ Luna? I'm writing a story, and it involves the war and the history behind it, as well as some of what happened during the war. Anyone have any idea?

You could call it the Eclipse War. As it's official name... no I don't know.

Depends on what you're trying to aim for.

Name of past war. Psshht a lot of peeps keep saying it was the Equestrian Civil War, however I disagree.

given that canon doesn't admit there was actually a war, no, there isn't

Fallout

No official or fanon name. How 'bout war of the skies? Or maybe the war of night and dark.

Yeah, I was going to go with something like that, but I started wondering if there was already something officially unofficially decided out there, you know? I didn't want to get a lot of comments telling me I'd gotten the name wrong. :rainbowlaugh:

Its been like that ever since the whole fandom with the 'New Lunar Republic'. The name could be for both the 'new' war and the old. But that's just my interpretation.

It depends on how sympathetic you want to portray Nightmare Moon and how long you think it actually lasted.

Options can include - The Lunar Rebellion, The Sister's War, The Nightmare War, The Long Night, The War of Harmony.

Options without mentioning War, for very short conflicts - The Lunar Crisis, The Great Betrayal, The Last Night.

Options for those sympathetic to NMM - The Solar Usurpation, The Solar Coup, The Fall of the Republic.

I would have called it the Great War of Magicka, but because that name is kinda reserved to an ancient war that came before the Nightmare Moon incident, I would just refer to it as the Night's Insurgence.

Comment posted by _Kenzu_ deleted Apr 12th, 2013

The great eclipse? :derpyderp1:

Comment posted by CharlieOist deleted Apr 12th, 2013

870571 Hell, those are all great. Let me try a go at this.

The Great Night
The Daylight War

so i was reading the powers of harmony and im not sure if its just me but the name the author gave it was amazing if not really simple. he called it the war of the sun and the moon extremely simple but i feel like it fits.

"The Diurnal War"

Diurnal refers to day and night - the diurnal cycle.

I've always referred to it as The Lunar War myself.
I'm actually surprised this isn't the norm. I thought it was.

The Night That Never Ended! Eternal Night! The One Day War! (Or longer based on how long it took Celestia to take action and banish Nightmare Moon) The Fall of The Lunar Princess! The Mare in The Moon Incident!

Since the elements of harmony seem to never been used by Celestia since that day I would call it 'the fall of harmony'

The Equestrian Civil War?

871171 I vote for this!

I think simply "The Eclipse" sounds better. They don't have those anyway in Equestria, and it sounds more ominous.

Luminary
Group Contributor

Mind, the name people call it at the time might be entirely different from what it would be called later.

It's not as if they called World War 1 by that name at the time.

Do your ponies see it as a rebellion? An attempted coup? Or as some kind of war-in-heaven battle between the gods? Chances are what they call it will reflect the way the conflict is seen.

There isn't even always agreement on conflicts after the fact. The United States' Revolutionary War is probably thought of by the British as something like 'That time the colonies got uppity' or something. (Wikipedia seems to think they call it the American War of Independence - a term never seen in the States).

The names I have seen it referred to are
*The Nightmare war
*The Eclipse war
*The Shadow war
*Lunar Rebellion
*Dusk

I always refereed to it as "The Great Nightmare Moon Rebellion"

~Creative I know

Comment posted by CharlieOist deleted Apr 12th, 2013

Well, the assumption seems to be that it's a war at all, even though what we've seen in canon is that it was just a very brief fight. So... "The Attack of Nightmare Moon," I suppose. Eventually appended to "The First Attack of Nightmare Moon" or "The Emergence of Nightmare Moon," to distinguish it from the latter "Return of Nightmare Moon."

Alternatively, "The Night-During-Day" given that it seemed to happen during the daytime and involved the darkening of the world. Or, as others stated, "The Eclipse." All in all it was a very brief, contained event, and likely to be remembered mostly for what most of the populace actually saw, which was nothing except the moon eclipsing the sun.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 35