The Writers' Group 9,319 members · 56,742 stories
Comments ( 5 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 5

Really sorry to spam the forums like this, but how do I go about moving from thought to speech?

ThatWeatherstormChap
Group Contributor

Gotta think it before you speak it, am I right?
Unless you're me, in which case you don't think about anything before saying it.

"Just because I have tentacles, doesn't mean I'm gonna rape you." Though, they don't exclude rape, either. "Wanna feel them?"

You might have kept this in that previous thread of yours, but what's done is done.

Transitioning between thoughts and speech (and vice-versa) is pretty simple. Generally, if the same character is doing the speaking, you can continue their thoughts in the same line, as though they were part of the dialogue. For example:

“But are any of them going to want to talk to us?” Fluttershy asked. Please tell me they aren’t. It’ll be so much easier.

You just need to give your reader the proper "stage directions" as to the characters' actions. Once you settle into a good rhythm, they'll latch on pretty quick.

Distrance
Group Contributor

Well, you process ideas in your head and preform a complex algorithm to decide the trajectory and intended stipulation to be met in order to effectively convey your idea from a conceptual enigma buried in your psyche into something tangible in the form of sound waves that penetrate your intended subject's eardrums. It is through this process that your subject then provides their own sound waves in reply to said idea. This is called human interaction. Please refer to, "Humanity: The Butt of the Cosmos" for further instruction on human behavior and process.

Oh, you mean in a story.

Usually you can convey thoughts with Italics, as well as actually telling the reader their in thought. Pretty much what 3988645 said.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 5