Fallout Equestria 5,373 members · 2,617 stories
Comments ( 33 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 33
Walabio #1 · April 11th · · 3 ·

So far, I like it, but I have not finished it yet.

As for potential references, a sign for "Philly" is misspelled "Filly". I would not expect too many references to Fo:E because companies fear being sued —— ¡but have no qualms about suing! —— so now try to avoid referencing FanWorks. I expect the references to be few, vague, and ambiguous.

Wait, are you serious?!?

I did not had yet chance to check it out
It came out at 3AM of my time

But I paid Amazon for Hazbin Hotel, so it is just matter of getting some time
Probably tomorrow evening or weekend

I streamed the first episode for my friends and I (who are hardcore fans of the series) and I was very impressed. There were a few things that could’ve been better but overall it was way better than I expected.

Screw #5 · April 11th · · 1 ·

I haven't really seen it yet, but from what you've describe about that reference, I wouldn't say it is conclusive.

After all, 200 years is a lengthy time to forget some stuff if people around this time stuck to more on the survival than preservation.

Unless they have something a bit more tangible or went into more detail, I wouldn't be so quick to say that they did reference Fo:E.

It is possibly a misspelling by the inhabitants. Like "Bone-apple-tea" (check out that subbredit, bone apple tea, of real people spelling out phonetically correct-ish words in the silliest of ways).

> "Wait, ⸘are you serious‽"

Indeed, Amazon made a Fallout-Series. Because of the grind of life, I myself did not learn about it until earlier this month. When I learned about it, I figured that it was an April's-Fool Joke. ¡Daily grind of the RatRace!

There are going to be no references to it what so ever and what you described here is well beyond stretching, it's like saying Rick ridding a horse in the first walking dead episode is a reference to Fallout Equestria.

Fallout has always been filled with mispelled words twisted from prewar words.

City of Tucson is called Two Sun's, Novac is No Vacancy.

It's normal for prewar ideas and words to get twisted in Fallout as thats part of the weirdness of the universe and survival aspect of the games.

Also fits Fallout. Tucson Arizona was called Two Suns in the Fallout Universe.

Not quite:

Bethesda does not want to get sued, but it wants to reward fans liking the game so much that they make FanMedia. We all remember in Fallout 4 when a character said something like , via hard work, in a few years , we could have rainbows and ponies., so paraphrase. That gives the lawyers plausible deniability.

Lucy McLean, the Heroine of this story, talks like a less manic, Pinkamena Diane Pie (even though she is less manic, she is Pollyannaish), speaking in much the same way. Speaking about "Philly", which is established with an original sign ("Philly" means "Love" in greek), not only has a misspelled hand-drawn sign spelled "Filly", but all of the subtitles in English and Catalan use "Filly". The subtitles have gone through many writers and editors.. The error could not have propagated so far without a little help without help.

Phoenix_Dragon
Group Contributor

I dunno. Fallout 4 had a whole set of very direct MLP references. There was also a bit that seems likely to have been a stealth Fallout: Equestria reference; it could be a particularly impressive coincidence, but between the combination of lines and the earlier MLP references, it seems more likely to be a reference than not.

This? Eh. It could be a reference to Fallout: Equestria or (more likely) MLP in general, but it's much harder to gauge the intent here. If it's a reference to either of those, it's stealth enough that I wouldn't be comfortable saying it's a reference. Just that it could be. Personally, having not watched the show yet, I'm doubtful, though I'm interested to see if that changes with more context.

Given that the subtitles had to go through multiple edits, its seems a deliberate reference, but that and the speech-patterns of Lucy McLean seem to be it. ¡Lawyers!

The Miniseries is good, but to explain why it is good, I have to spoil it. I shall use SpoilerText. If you not seen, it go watch it without looking at the SpoilerText. It is worth your time to watch. If you read past this point, that is on you, because you decided to read the Spoiler text:

This is why it is good:

As for the miniseries, it is good. It covers the extremely well known arc we all love of a Vault/Stable-dwelling human/pony with now experience in the outside world having to learn how to survive. As is usual, although some players totally manage to not discover this Lucy learns, that like a mushroom, she is kept underground in the dark, and fed la caca de los toros.:

Lucy realizes that her ancestors were not excellent people chosen on merit, but rich people who could have used their wealth, which the mostly got through accidents of birth (great great great great great great great grandfather might have worked very hard as a slaver for earning the family-wealth, but the ancestors who entered the Vault just inherited the wealth) and could have used the wealth for making the world better, but chose not to do so.

She learns that VaulTech did not simply foresee a coming nuclear war and plan to save humanity, but deliberately made things worse. VaulTech had ambitions of taking over the world by nuking the world and taking over a few hundred years in the future when the world is habitable again (the same executives starting the nuclear war can take over by cryonically suspending themselves. They deal with the problem of pockets of civilization recovering in less radiation pockets of the Earth before the Earth generally recovered by continual genocide (about 20 years before the story, the Enclave, the active component of VaulTech while the Executives slumber in CryoSleep) nuked the New CaliforniaRepublic).

Lucy looses her innocence, when the raiders breech her Vault, again when she goes to the surface, again when she learns that her ancestors were rich rather than being chosen by merit to survive, and again when she learns the truth about VaulTech, the war, and the continuing genocides. It is very sad.

That is why it is good.

Yes, it is good.

Phoenix_Dragon
Group Contributor

Given that the subtitles had to go through multiple edits, its seems a deliberate reference

I'm not saying the spelling is in error. It's clearly intentional. I'm saying that we don't know if that intention was to be a reference to MLP or not, because there are plenty of other possible explanations for why they'd name it that.

Like I said, I'd have to actually see it to see if there is anything else leaning towards it being a reference, but everything I've heard so far is pretty flimsy.

The following is from the fallout wiki:

• The "Fallout First Look" article by Vanity Fair, in which the existence of this location was first revealed, misnamed the location as "Philly."
  • An activation event for the series held in Austin, Texas, in March 2024 transformed a hotel parking lot into a recreation of Filly. This was also the first time the name of the location had been officially corrected to Filly.[3]
  • According to Jonathan Nolan, viewers' introduction to Filly is intended to generate similar feelings to players' first introduction to Megaton in Fallout 3, juxtaposing the "pre-" and "post-apocalyptic" worlds.[2]
  • The name Filly may be in reference to the fact that it is built inside of a landfill.

Philly is the incorrect spelling here it seems, the real debate I believe is whether Filly is a landfill reference, a subtle nod to FoE, or both.

Like I wrote, the references are pretty thin ——¡lawyers! —— but a better reason to watch it is because it is pretty good:

It catches the spirit of the games, with EasterEggs for fans —— although Bethesda needs to keep plausible deniability when references FanWorks, ¡it can blatantly reference itself until the 2-headed cows come home! As a miniseries for fans, on scale of 0-to-5, I give it 4 stars. I imagine that someone never played Fallout would give it 3 stars (it looses a star because of the learning curve, but the learning curve is gentle) and might want to rewatch it after understand what VaulTech, the SteelRangers, enclave et cetera and rescore it as 4 stars after the 2nd watch.

If you Have AmazonPrime, I recommend watching it.

It nullifies everything the original games built (Such as the NCR being a nation of a million or more citizens by around 2280, encompassing the entire state of California and beyond), and preemptively nixes the events of New Vegas...

... in favor of having the Brotherhood of Steel show up to circle jerk in their power armor and malformed zeppelin. I'm sure they'd have brought Liberty Prime and a gaggle of gibbering Super Mutants wearing human skulls if they had the runtime to spare.

I never expected a tv show, but I would not have wished for this hollow, disrespectful façade.

I believe the explanation was that shady sands got nuked, by someone…house? Lanius? Which in turn caused the NCR to fracture, causing the less powerful version seen in the show. I have my problems with this, but at the same FNV did not have a canon end, meaning this is somewhat plausible.

Doesn't matter how they explain it. It remains a gross and unforgivable insult to the franchise's roots.

I quite enjoyed it.

Based on the age of Max from the show, being between 18-26, it's safe to say that Shady Sands was blown up somewhere 2280 and 2286 since Max was about 4-10 during the actual event. Furthermore the blackboard states that Shady Sands was falling which does line up with lore from New Vegas. Ask any of the in game soldier, specifically around the outposts and the farm outside of New Vegas, and they'll tell you about the lack of food the NCR was producing leading to starvation probably due to the region's known water shortages (It is Cali after all). Even a scientists of the NCR's own Office of Science and Industry points out that the NCR will face famine if something doesn't change. The greed of the Brahmin baron likely means that this won't change.

The blackboard timeline also points to the mushroom cloud instead of dating the attack (see image below):

What actually helps the lore is that in 2277, the 1st Battle of Hoover Dam occurs and the Divide explodes. This cuts off major supplies to the East forcing traders and supplies runs to take the I-15 in order to go around the Divide & Big MT. Logistically, this is a nightmare. Also whose to say that the NCR is even the cannon ending of New Vegas? The whole point of New Vegas was that these societies in the Post-Post-Post Apoc were doom to fail because they were simply coping the past thinking that it would just magically change the outcome. Just like America before, the NCR fell into greed and corruption due to business.

Also the show straight up points out that Lucy's dad blow up Shady Sands and that Lucy had lived there for a while. The NCR is probably alive in the Vegas even with the West destroyed. (Just think about the history of the Roman Empire if you need an example) No lore is broken. Tim Cain even agrees with that. Also the NCR only had ~700,000 citizens, at least that's the only straightly given number. Any else is pure head-cannon.

Also it's cool that it points out how Mr. House knew exactly when the bombs would drop. Since he was at the meeting for it in the show. It's not far-fetched that he was told when Vault-Tech would start the end of the world. He just calculated the expected time a nuclear response on his location would occur after Vault Tech launched the first nuke. Sadly, he still guessed wrong. And before someone says "But he's smart". Look at his specials. Mr. House has 5 int & 10 luck. he's just lucky with average int.

Also why wouldn't the Brotherhood return West? Most of the Western Brotherhood left after the Enclave Base was destroyed in Fo:2. They also had good relations with the NCR too. They only clashed with the NCR after the NCR started growing more powerful which directly conflicted with the mission of reclaiming old world tech. (The reason they went East along with meeting up with other chapters of military survivors of the End of the World) The NCR and Brotherhood argument led to war which was probably relied to the "Eastern" Brotherhood. The brotherhood just won the war in the west at the end since the NCR was crippled due to external powers. We'll have to see if the same is for the New Vegas region.

My biggest issue is the representation of the Brotherhood. For one, the order is all wrong. But if I recall, they're an offshoot of the East Coast. In Fallout 4, Knights got to wear Power Armor. But that is beside the point; the BOS here has ZERO discipline. They have zero control over their aspirants! I mean, for god sake, aspirants beat the shit out of each other, and there are zero consequences. There's no regimental order, no assigned units; they might as well be high-tech raiders! The Brotherhood is a strict militaristic order. They have honest-to-good military training; they are taught an actual education. But for some reason, Maximus didn't know what the fuck sex was? Come on, man, that's Marvel's level of crap writing.

Also, don't get me started on the Power Armor. First of all, why the hell does it have Ironman wrist rockets? Second, Cowboy Ghoul knew the weakness, no problem, the problem is that it SHOULD have been the obvious Visor! He already had armor-pierce rounds that Visor wasn't going to hold against a caliber that big. We also know he's a fucking amazing shot, so why in god's name did he not shoot them on their goddamn visors? Instead, they came up with a stupid "oh shit welding job just below the chest plate." Like, come on, man, that just sounds stupid. The wrist rockets thing really was extra stupid, because they could have seriously just had JETPACKS. But I digress; overall, I like the show, but I really don't like how they butchered the BOS.

It is fair to assume that, but in my opinion it makes sense from a long term perspective. The Brotherhood of Steel is indeed very disciplined for what it is, but considering this is the Eastern Chapter of the BoS who are open to accepting people from the Wasteland, you can expect a drop in quality to become more apparent--- especially as the older, more experienced and conservative minds start to decline due to a number of reasons. It really was a case of the Brotherhood lowering its standards to build itself up, and they are paying the cost for it.

After all, being unwilling to let outsiders into their ranks was what got the Lost Hills Chapter of the Brotherhood along the West Coast beaten and battered within an inch of their life during their fight with the NCR from the 2250s to the 2260s.

Phoenix_Dragon
Group Contributor

I dunno, I thought the portrayal of the BoS was fine, especially since they've changed so much throughout the games. Since Fallout 2, the Brotherhood has mostly been on the decline and fragmenting. Their expedition to the east went rogue and refused their superior's orders (and then itself fragmented further). The Mojave chapter was a shadow of its former self, badly battered by the NCR and hiding just to survive. The east-coast BoS in Fallout 4 was probably the strongest they were since Fallout 2, and they only got there through a charismatic authoritarian leader that took the Brotherhood on an aggressive version of their old mission (and even then, apparently several members left over the direction he was going).

It looks like the east-coast BoS has reestablished contact with the west-coast BoS, given that the Prydwen was there. Who knows what kind of chaos has kicked up in the 9 years since Fallout 4 and 15 years since New Vegas? We know the Brotherhood's operations change dramatically depending on who's in charge, because we've seen that in pretty much every game they've appeared in. The show looks like they (or at least the local group) have a leader who is embracing the "biggest dick in the Wasteland" energy of the Brotherhood in order to take power himself, and is kinda deviating from their original mission (a persistent problem for the Brotherhood). And it looks like he's opened up the ranks in order to get more manpower, reducing standards, while promoting people who support his goals rather than what's good for the original goals of the Brotherhood, and for loyalty over talent. It's all... way too familiar, to be honest.

Doomande
Group Admin

Only three negatives about the show:

The Gulper does not look like anything else mutated in the wasteland, it looks too... well clinical and clean.

The fuck are in those vials! I need to know! So much new ghoul lore, and they explain nothing!

And it is not the real voice of Codsworth! Stephen Russell should have gotten a cameo instead of someone else making a damn good impression in the show.

Phoenix_Dragon
Group Contributor

The fuck are in those vials! I need to know! So much new ghoul lore, and they explain nothing!

That got me curious, too! So many possibilities. I mean, we know the most important part, that it's something to keep a ghoul sane and non-feral, but I'm wondering if there's more to it. Were those guys making it from the ghouls they kept captive? What happens when he runs out of the current supply? I'm curious if we'll see more about them in the next season.

On the other hand... I kinda like how the show doesn't feel the need to explain everything like so many shows and movies do. It's generally content to treat the audience as smart enough to understand things without having them all spoon-fed to them, and it's rather refreshing. It doesn't really even explain the whole concept of feral vs non-feral ghouls, and trusts that the audience can understand it from what is shown. It's like the show runners know how to have restraint, which was pretty much the exact opposite of what I worried the show would be when I first heard about it.

...But I do still want to know more about those vials. :rainbowlaugh:

Isn’t it possible they are just vials of rad-away? Iirc ghouls still need to be at least a little cautious of radiation.

Phoenix_Dragon
Group Contributor

It's possible. But we do also see regular RadAway in the familiar IV bags, and I think Coop showed no interest in those. There was one sitting on the table in the drug-dealers' supermarket, and I'm pretty sure he just ignored it. But at the same time, it also looked like that might have been what was hooked up to the IV at his "grave," so who knows?

Personally, I'm leaning toward it being either some kind of painkiller (which possibly helps ghouls stay clear-headed and remember who they are) or some sort of regenerative medicine that staves off the deterioration of the brain. But at this point, it could be just about anything.

7959168 7959844 7959717

Cooper Howard and his his friend Roger believe that it is a drug keeping them from going feral, but that might not be true:

The medicine might truly slow or even stop the progression to ferality or it could be a a trick:

Some Enterprising person could have told ghouls that an inert substance (a placebo) and sells this snakeoil to the ghouls or the substance to be addictive, thus giving the ghouls an extra incentive to keep using the cham:

> "I feel very bad. I do not like it. I must be going feral. The chem will make me feel great."

I capitalized Enterprising because, in the episode 01:21 "Symbiosis" of the TelevisionShow "Star Trek: The Next Generation", an whole civilization enslaved another civilization with "medicine" which is only a "narcotic".

The chems mighty really work. I offer the above as only an hypothesis. The point is, as Lucy McLean finds out the hard way, is not necessarily as it seems.

> "The Gulper does not look like anything else mutated in the wasteland, it looks too. …. well clinical and clean."

See in 01:06 "The Trap" that the gulpers are an escaped or released fusion of mutated organism (probably a mutated toad) and human test-subject. This explains why gulpers have human hands and feet and a mouth full of human fingers. We see a holovideo of a woman birthing the 1st gulpers —— ¡the horrid monsters eat their mother!

After the sapient experiments escaped on vault 004, they found many pregnant women gestation hybrids between humans and mutant monsters. They could not help them at the time; so now, froze them.

This is another example of the evil of Vault-Tec.

Doomande
Group Admin

We see rad-away in the Super Duper Mart which the ghoul ignores and leaves behind, instead going on a bender of drugs, alcohol and a fuckton of those vials.

Its just if you look at the rest of the things that have been scientificly blended together and modified (most likely with FEV since that is the Fo version of super CRISPR and is what are used in all other fallout modifications) are never that "neat" looking... Beside deathclaws that is, but then again, they were made by the combined science of USA, not by few people cooped up in a Vault.

The showrunners say that New Vegas is canon, but do not want to spoil next season. Applying Occam's Razor, the blackboard was supposed to have 2 dates:

• The 200th Anniversary of the Great War, in 2277.
  • The destruction of Shady Sands.

In a ProductionError, the 2 merged into 1. I hypothesise that the destruction of Shady Sands, which greatly weaken the NCR, probably took place in 2282.

This is only mine hypothesis and I am probably totally wrong.

Oh, it was great. I LOVE how they had a major faction NUKED OFF SCREEN by some nothing character who was never important to literally anything ever. I feel so rewarded for getting invested in New Vegas’s story. Really feel like the player’s choices regarding the NCR, the legion, and their conflict over Hoover Dam mattered a lot now. It was DEFINITELY worth trivializing the entire conflict of New Vegas’s story just to reset the world back to a state of anarchy because the writers wanted a wasteland romp with wacky mad max shenanigans.

While we’re at it, I love how they retconned some magic drug into existence that all ghouls need to take constantly to keep from going feral. I definitely do NOT think that’s totally fucking stupid. I also love how they gave all the ghouls instant regeneration powers like they’re fucking Wolverine.

I also love how the Brotherhood of Steel apparently just gives power armor to any bonehead who will go off mission because they’re bored and want to shoot something. I also thought it was really clever how he immediately goes down like a total bitch when he’s attacked by a yao guai that, judging by a scene two minutes later where the armor is shown kicking holes in brick walls and chucking boulders a mile out, should’ve gotten knocked the fuck out by a single punch. It also makes perfect sense how Maximus effortlessly takes the very same Yao guai with a single shot from his handgun two seconds later because the writers wanted to contrive a scenario where he can steal the power armor. If they’d made Titus kind of a no nonsense hardass who’s only tough because he’s trying to harden Maximus to the wasteland, and had Maximus spend some time learning from him before Titus dies in battle and Maximus has to make the tough decision to carry on the mission on his own putting what he’s learned into practice, that would’ve been too cliché. I’m glad they made Titus a dumb asshole who says and does basically everything he can to ensure he gets left for dead when he’s critically injured. It’s so much better how they made Maximus an irredeemable piece of shit who immediately flies into a violent rage, trying to kill Thaddeus after he doesn’t instantly get on board when Maximus fails to explain what happened to Titus.

I also love how Lucy has to plead and convince Maximus to make an obviously morally correct decision, and then treats him like he’s such a great guy when he reluctantly doesn’t doom hundreds of people to a slow death.

REMEMBER GUYS, THE SHOW DID NOT RETCON ANYTHING! THIS IS ALL TOTALLY IN LINE WITH CANON! IT HAS ALWAYS BEEN THIS WAY! ALL HAIL TODD HOWARD, THE CREATOR OF FALLOUT!

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 33