Chess Players of Fimfiction 38 members · 62 stories
Comments ( 6 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 6
Samey90
Group Admin

I played in a local rapid team event today (four people in each team) we brought two youngsters so they'd gain experience and the result wasn't our priority, but we still took 9th place out of 19 teams.
As for individual results, I played board 2 and took fourth place there - with 7/9 I actually tied for second, point-wise, but the tiebreaker was the team's result. Still, I'm pretty happy with it, given I beat many stronger players (keep in mind my FIDE is a somewhat underrated 1200). Also, one of the youngsters scored a nice 4.5/9 (on a good day he can beat me).
I may post some game recaps later, but I lost only two games, to players rated 1850 and over 1900. On the other hand, in the first round I beat an opponent whose FIDE was in the upper 2000s - I kept an equal position in Rossolimo Sicilian and he blundered a piece in time trouble.
As far as exotic openings go, for the first time I played Orthoschnapp Gambit against French Defense in a rated OTB game. My opponent was unfamiliar with it, and after the 1. e4 e6 2. c4 d5 3. cxd5 exd5 4. Qb3!? dxe4 5. Bc4 immediately blundered with 5. ... Be6? 6. Bxe6 fxe6 7. Qxb7 Nd7 8. Qxe4 Ngf6? 9. Qxe6+ Qe7 10. Qxe7 Bxe7 I had a comfortable position. My opponent eventually sacrificed a knight for two pawns and offered a draw hoping I wouldn't win the endgame with a knight and h-pawn against a bare king. He was wrong.

In another game, I played against a kid who was like, 11, but rated almost 1500. I was on the black side of Accelerated Panov, pressuring the isolated queen's pawn and interestingly, guys rated 2000 blunder pieces with 30 seconds on the clock while the kid held a tricky endgame having about 10 seconds for like, half of the game. Eventually, we reached this position and I used my better time situation to figure out this rook endgame:

Black to move. There's only one move that wins.

Samey90
Group Admin

Round breakdown (due to getting paired as a team and not individually, I ended up playing six games with white pieces, somehow):
1. White pieces, Sicilian Defense, Nyezhmetdinov-Rossolimo attack, opponent's FIDE: upper 2000s. To my surprise, I kept an equal position, pressuring d6 while my opponent tried to break through on the queenside. Eventually, he got in time trouble and with 30 seconds blundered a knight (I still spent about 30 seconds looking for tricks before taking, after which he resigned).

2. White pieces, Scotch Game, unrated opponent. The opponent surprised me with a move straight out of chess underground 3. ... Bd6?. After 4. d5 I had a comfortable position, opened the black's kingside after castling, and won in about 5 minutes with a checkmate along the h-file.

3. Black pieces, Indian Game (apparently it transposed into Chigorin variation of Queen's Pawn Game), unrated opponent. I ended up in a weird position with the opponent playing much better than his age and lack of rating would imply. I ended up down the exchange and with a bad bishop, but then I went with some hare-brained attack, pushing pawns on the kingside and opening the h-file. I saw the move that'd give my opponent a completely winning position, but he didn't, and suddenly I managed to turn the tables and checkmate him. Still, he played really well I congratulated him after this game.

4. White, Scotch Gambit: Advance Variation, opponent's FIDE: around 1850. Long theory, but my position was fine as long as his bishops were closed, but later I found myself on the receiving end of a bishop pair from hell, and lost.

5. White, French Defense: Orthoschnapp Gambit (the one I mentioned before), unrated opponent. He actually offered draw twice, much to the amusement of his teammates (if I had a light-square bishop, I'd totally agree).

6. Black, the game this endgame comes from. Caro-Kann Defense, Accelerated Panov Attack. An IQP middlegame turned into a tricky endgame as I left my opponent with a passed a-pawn, but black has a forced win there.

7. Black, Queen's Pawn Game, transposing into Symmetrical English, Anti-Benoni. Unrated opponent. After 1. d4 Nf6 2. c4 c5, I hoped for 3. d5 b5, but I got 3. Nf3. Still, I got a very nice position, which I then misplayed, having two give up a knight and bishop for a rook. Similarly to game 3, I switched to attack mode and regained two pieces for a rook, though my opponent had a passed pawn. Still, my queen was very active and I could just force a draw, but I decided to play on, got a better position, and just as I won his passed pawn, his flag also fell, giving me another win.

8. White, Sicilian Defense: Nyezhmetdinov-Rossolimo attack, opponent's FIDE: mid-1300s. I won a pawn and gave my opponent doubled c and g pawns, then sort of attacked the isolated a-pawn with the queen, just to transfer my queen to the h-file, get the knight to g5 and go for a checkmating attack.

9. White, Caro-Kann Defense: Fantasy Variation. Opponent's rating: over 1900. A draw would give me a clear second place on my board, so I just kinda traded pieces, only to get into a worse knight endgame and mess it up with two illegal moves, forfeiting the game.

Feels a bit rash, but Rxa7 seems to eliminate any threat of promotion for white. White captures with the rook, of course, but is it good enough to prevent the pawn advance?

Well done defeating those strong opponents, BTW.

First move that comes to mind ise3. White has to play Kc1 to avoid checkmate. I'd probably follow that with d2+, though not sure if this is best

Samey90
Group Admin

Endgame tablebase claims that after Rxa7 Kxg6 it's a draw, though given the time situation, I'd maybe win this.

That's the correct answer and Kc1 is the best move, though it still leads to checkmate while white has no chance to promote any of the pawns (in the actual game my opponent played gxf7 with seconds on the clock, allowing Ra1#).

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 6