My Little Reviews & Feedback 507 members · 868 stories
Comments ( 4 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 4
Firefoxino
Group Contributor
TDanganronpa: In Harmony's Wake
Trapped on a cruise ship with fifteen others, all with lost memories, Sunset Shimmer struggles to survive a killing game orchestrated by a mysterious being only known as Monoponi. Post Season Nine FIM. Now complete!
Dewdrops on the Grass · 488k words  ·  167  15 · 6.3k views

Danganronpa is a series of visual novels where the main action is followed through a killing game. The host of such a game is Monokuma but we are not here to talk about that. 

In this story we follow Sunset Shimmer and another plethora of characters all stuck on an expensive cruise ship. They wake up not remembering how they got there and meet with each other, still not remembering anything about one another. 

This then leads to the presentation of Monoponi the mastermind of this killing game, Monoponi will explain them the rules and what they should do to actually leave the ship. 

I won’t spoil anything, because you need to read it for yourself but it is a very intriguing story.

So what’s in store for you dear reader? It is an investigative tale with a side of horror and some psychological games. All of this blends in nicely to give you an entertaining show, just what Monoponi wanted to look at you.

The mysteries are intriguing, they have to be otherwise well, you get executed. The descriptions are very detailed and contain a lot of actual niches that if found and taken note of will be an invaluable key to solve any oncoming mystery, especially the biggest one, Monoponi’s identity.

The dialogues are, while written with thought behind it, a bit cliche. We will have romance and a very early murder which ticks me off a bit. I mean with the first murder done all hell will break loose, when they might have been too scared to actually act now the ball has started rolling. 

There is some minor characterization that I find a bit weird, like how love stories started popping out of nowhere at any given time. And yes, I know that in cases where someone's life is in danger love blossoms a lot faster but still. Use your head dears. In any case it is a concept that will come around to bite everyone in the butt.

The fic gives you the reader the possibility to find out who is the culprit at any given trial and doesn’t hide clues around, this means that for you investigative bunch there is a ton of fun to have in this regard.

And of course for all of you who are bloodthirsty monsters we have the executions, which may vary from tame to pretty gruesome, that is going to tickle all of your blood sensors. Unfortunately no red crimson blood, here it is pink, a shame in my opinion but whatever floats the author boat.

There are some negatives, as I said the dialogues are a bit bare, they could use some spruce up. The characters are also a bit too emotional, flipping from happy to sad, from sad to angry nonchalantly. And overreacting a bit much, not to say that they shouldn’t react just that they do have to tone it down sometimes. 

This all leads to a final question, is it worth spending my time reading almost 500k words? THe answer is yes, the story spins a tale that is very well designed and is going to take you for a ride once you are into it. So in my humble opinion it is indeed a worthy investment of your time. Go check it out and give the author some love.

Now for the scores:

SCORES!

Core Idea: 7/10 while intriguing as a concept it is a re used one from the original series so that's a bit of a bummer.

Pacing: 8/10 While it is at times a bit rushed I see that it was so to jump to the very juicy very interesting parts of the stories and the author had to brush away the inopportune side characters.

Grammar: 10/10 No errors were found by me and the description of what is important is spot on.

Final score: 8.3/10 A very good work one that you should feel proud of.

For the Author, you’ve got talent, nourish it and it will grow exponentially.

ps. I totally thought it was big red, you really fooled me out there good work.

Azure Drache
Group Admin

A great review of a long story again! :yay:

Thank you very kindly for taking the time to review my work, especially considering its length. In particular I appreciate your insight regarding the dialogue. You're not wrong; I definitely played up the emotions from time to time a little too much. Guess that could be the author herself leaking through a bit, haha. (I'm a very emotional person.)

I also appreciate what you mean about the pacing. I agree the early parts aren't paced as well as the rest of it. I was indeed quite eager to dispense with the pleasantries and pretense that nothing would happen in favor of the actual point to the story. Looking back I do wish I had taken more time.

I think I do regret making the blood pink too. I did that because I was, well, squeamish at first. So I told myself I was duplicating the feel of Danganronpa. I got past that as you could tell by some of the executions, but by that point it was a bit too late.

On the whole: I agree with the score you've given me and I'm certainly doing my best to learn and nurture my writing. Thank you again for the review. :twilightsmile:

Firefoxino
Group Contributor

Glad to see you appreaciated it keep up the good work :D

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 4