Anon-A-Miss 1,329 members · 1,274 stories
Comments ( 33 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 33
draph91
Group Admin

*Before anyone asks what this has to do with Anon-a-Miss, AaM is short for Anon-a-Miss

The CMC are expelled from Canterlot High, not that I have a problem with that

here's a list (I will update this)
Why? A tale of Anon-a-miss (I believe this is the first story which has this, due to how long the story is, the chapter can be found here)

Confession

Shadow of the Sun

Anon-a-Miss: A Wrinkle in Time and it's rewrite

Solar Eclipse

When Anon-a-miss Struck

Anon a MYSTERY (but this was later overturned after it transpired their new lives were even worse)

Anon-A-Miss: Friendship is Home (though only Applebloom and Sweetie Belle are expelled, not too sure about Scootaloo)

Fire & Rain: Applejack & The Queen of Knives (Scootaloo was mentioned to have been expelled, not too sure about Sweetie Belle and Applebloom)

Blamed

Sparkle and Flame (the most recent one, subject to change)

Anon A Miss: The Son Of Wolverine

please mention if I'm missing any and add a link

draph91
Group Admin

The latest chapter of Blamed included one, that's why I made this

6965866 Yeah, I just read that one, and all I can say is that the punishment more than fit the crime.

draph91
Group Admin

which one?, Blamed?

and in Solar Eclipse, Luna did have a good reason (Celestia was relieved of her position as such Luna became the new Principal)

from here

Despite her demeanor earlier, she was genuinely worried about those girls' safety. Since their identity as Anon-A-Miss had been revealed, and that they were essentially the catalyst behind the attack on the school, the families of many students were out for blood. They were no longer safe here.

Depending on how the story goes if there is a lot of violence and vandalism going on then the punishment is more believable.
If the only things that happens is mean words then I expect some form of detention

Comment posted by draph91 deleted Aug 22nd, 2019
draph91
Group Admin

I think that's letting them off easily in my opinion

6965910 Yep.
Should have added the story name in that post.
Silly me.

Good point.

In all those cases, I'd say it was the right choice (though I'm still not entirely sure what Ponyjoel meant by 'pushing the students into psychological manipulation'.

draph91
Group Admin

I have updated the list

draph91
Group Admin

I've moved it to the first post as well

Currently eeading the first one. It is really good!

Yeah, depending on how much worse the author makes it, some of these punishments (literally wanting to kill children) is... overkill :applejackunsure:
If it's based more on the actual comic, then detention and basic punishments by the families seems a lot more reasonable, and that's what the comic does. It's got its issues but honestly I thought the ending was good, especially for how few pages they would have had to wrap it up. Having a strong ending theme of forgiveness and moving on is a lot more powerful and in line with Sunset's character.

I appreciate you.

For what it's worth, expulsion may seem severe. But at the same time, it is also for their own safety as well.

If the students got violent, the more "severe" punishment would to actually be for them to stay. The CMC would have to actually deal with all the fallout when everything is actually known.

If they are expelled, yeah, it gets put on their record and will follow them wherever they go, but at the same time it gives them a fresh(ish) start. They won't have to deal with the potential retaliation from other CHS students, thus they could be expelled for their own protections. Don't know how many actually follow through with that explanation however...

But I do think there is one or two floating around with that as a reasoning for expulsion.

I take great relief in the fact that my version didn't have any expulsions, and that I could justify it.

My version did have them give a list of everyone who submitted to Anon-A-Miss to Principal Celestia, so that probably helped.

You made my day so thank you
(and would you lookee there, another reminder to work on my chapter :twilightsheepish:)

draph91
Group Admin

Like Solar Eclipse, Why? A Tale of Anon-a-Miss is another one that has a good reason.....

Swallowing hard, Sweetie Belle said, "Do we really have to be expelled for what we did? I mean, can't we just be suspended for say three or four days?"

"I'll call her, Celestia. As for your question, Sweetie Belle, no, you cannot be suspended for three or four days," Luna began sternly. "What you three did with that website caused nothing short of pain and heartache, not just for the entire student body but for your sisters, as well. Besides that, once you do come forward with what you three have done, you'll become a target for any students that want to seek revenge."

"My sister is right, Sweetie Belle. Please, all of you, listen to me closely." Celestia got up from behind her desk and walked over to Sweetie Belle, staring coldly into the young girl's eyes. "Canterlot High School has more than one thousand students. You cannot expect all of your teachers or your sisters to protect you three all the time while the three of you are here. We simply do not have the faculty for it, not to mention any hostility you meet off school grounds.

If they had stayed, there would be blood.

Update on Anon-a-Mystery; the CMC were expelled, but this was later overturned after it transpired their new lives were even worse.

draph91
Group Admin

I am aware of that, I have read the story and I added that to the list

This is just a random thing that this getting bumped back to the top made me think about. This whole thread is spoilers, but just in case:

Major spoilers for Confession. (Not just the ending but the middle too.) It's in the plain text, so stop reading now if you don't want to see.

~
~ * ~
~ * ⁂ * ~
~ * ~ * ~ * ~

If one goes by Celestia's stated reasons for doing what she did, I think expelling the human five was more justified than expelling Apple Bloom (the only known-to-Celestia member of Anon-a-Miss in Confession.)

First, we'll deal with Sunset's expulsion. She doesn't say her reasoning for it, just that, with Sunset's confession, she really doesn't feel like a choice. She has to, in her mind, expel Sunset. While she doesn't give the reason, when you place the story in context (as in: "way, way, back before The Friendship Games" context) it makes sense.

Sunset confessing to being Anon-a-Miss is basically Sunset confessing to being not-reformed. In addition, she saved the school at the Battle of the Bands, but it that was in her best interest, so it wasn't necessarily a feat of altruism. Turning around and doing to the school pretty much exactly what the Sirens had done, sans magic, and doing it more effectively basically invalidates her Battle of the Bands heroism. What remains isn't complementary.

Sunset's the girl who was a bully for three years and got away with it for those same three years. She never stopped being that person but, because she lost her power, faked a change of heart and redemption. That lasted for a bit, but when three other magical creatures showed up to tear the school apart she kicked them out, which seemed like unabashed good at the time, and stole their idea. Now she is, unabashedly, the school's top asshole, who is tearing everyone around her down (apparently just because she can.)

The biggest part isn't even Anon-a-Miss, it's that the redemption was faked (with a close second being what it says about her as a person.)

Since the redemption was faked, the Fall Formal is back on the table. She's not being kicked out for being Anon-a-Miss, she's being kicked out for three years if bad behavior, mind controlling the students (and ripping apart a section of the school), lying about her change of heart, and completely abusing the fact she was given a second and/or last chance.

So, kicking out Sunset after she confessed made sense.

~

I think that a good case can be made against Apple Bloom given that it was a targeted harassment campaign, and that after she broke Sunset she didn't turn herself in. Her response to seeing Sunset break was sympathy, but all she did was make it look like Sunset had stopped being Anon-a-Miss. Sunset was still taking the fall, Apple Bloom was still getting away with everything.

(She did hope that someday she'd get to tell Sunset she was sorry, but that's pretty much meaningless.)

When she learns that Sunset was expelled, she does come forward, but she should have before that (and didn't even consider it.) I think it's completely understandable not running up to her sister and saying, "No, it was me!" in the café, but she if she didn't have it in her to do that, she absolutely have sent an email saying, "Principal Celestia, I wasn't brave enough to confess in person, but I'm Anon-a-Miss," or, at least, planned on sending such an email. She didn't. The plan was to get away with it indefinitely. Things were still terrible for Sunset post-confession pre-expulsion, that didn't make Apple Bloom confess, or consider confessing, either. Plan "Get away with it" was still in effect.

In some ways, the way she confessed makes not confessing earlier even worse. Celestia doesn't know this of course, but Apple Bloom is taking all the blame when Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo are guilty too. They're as guilty as she is and haven't suffered in the least. For Sunset, an innocent person who she tormented to the point of actually breaking her, she's not willing to take any blame or punishment whatsoever.

So, yeah, I think there's a strong case to be made for expelling Apple Bloom in that story. Celestia, though, doesn't make that case.

She says that she's expelling Apple Bloom because she expelled Sunset and that's it. None of the legitimate reasons for expelling confessed-to-being-Anon-a-Miss Sunset apply to Apple Bloom. Not even a little bit. "I'm going to treat a first time offender the same way I'd treat a serial offender who already got a second chance and has just proven that giving it to them was a mistake," is not a good justification for expelling Apple Bloom.

~

The five, though, are another story. They're just as responsible for Sunset's breakdown as Apple Bloom is. (Blame isn't a zero sum game, it should be noted. Them being responsible too doesn't make Apple Bloom any less responsible.)

Their motive and methods are completely different from those of the CMC, but they bullied Sunset to the point of a complete emotional breakdown and then, when they got her there, blackmailed her into taking the fall for something she didn't do, which ultimately led to her being expelled.

That is a pretty good reason for expelling students. It's not like Apple Bloom who was seeing everything through a screen and removed from what was going on in the real world. They were in the thick of what was happening to Sunset because they were the worst part of what was happening to Sunset. Celestia, in the original ending (Chapter 3), recognizes this and acts appropriately.

Even if Sunset had been guilty and their actions had gotten the guilty party to confess, they still wouldn't be justified. Something that would make an innocent person confess to a crime they didn't commit is something you shouldn't be doing to a guilty person either.

I'm going to head off to Confession and write a comment fic, now. (If I can find the words to get what's in my head onto the figurative page, that is.)

draph91
Group Admin

Added another story

Don't forget Shadows of the Sun

draph91
Group Admin

adding it, also remember to add a link next time

Comment posted by PrinceOfDarkness deleted Oct 26th, 2021
Comment posted by Pete100 deleted May 31st, 2023

I never knew they could expel students.

I agree with you on that one.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 33