The Pleasant Commentator and Review Group! 1,289 members · 149 stories
Comments ( 19 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 19
Tidal
Group Admin

I simply have no idea what to say. I have a review for you guys... I'm still at somewhat of a loss of words.

Hello everypony. This is Tidal. Today I had to hold back my tears in public. Here is why.

Review by: Tidal

From the beginning, it could only end one way. Nopony lives forever. All good things must come to an end, no matter how much we must wish that this not be true. Death is inevitable. Twilight Sparkle is dying. She has lived a long, full life, having outlived all of her friends, but it is now coming to an end. She knows that there is no escape, after meeting a young filly at Canterlot Castle during a visit with her mentor. The end is nigh, but she will not face it alone.

Before I start. Let me just say I have strong opinions about this story, due to that fact I will try and make my review as unbiased as possible but towards the end I will have a "My Opinion Section" to let out my ideas. Lets get started with this amazing fic.
(There will be spoilers. Be warned!)

FEELS METER

This isn't something I need to calculate or need to think about or even consider. 10 out of 10. I cried tears of sadness. Then I cried tears of joy, then afterward I sat there and just... sat there. I felt like the show itself just ended. I had no idea what to do next.

EXECUTION/PRESENTATION

Point of View

It's hard to get 3rd person wrong. This story is told in third person mostly from the perspective of a dying Twilight Sparkle. She is the 'Last One Standing' and we follow through her memories, ultimately leading up to her death. We know the thoughts of Twi, and Tia which was a perfect blend of feels, and just story telling in general.

Style

We see Twilight Sparkle and Princess Celestia in this story, along with a little filly named Ruby. Then we see the mane 6, and we even get a glimpse of the new element bearers that are to replace them. The story was an 8,000 word one shot that took time describing what needed to be described, while only referencing other things. It worked perfectly. The environments were easy to picture... the writer also makes Twilight so... normal. She is afraid. To her it's not fair, and as the story goes on and the writer slowly has Twilight realize the truth, you can't help but be proud of her! :twilightsmile:

Flow

The story flows well for the most part. Starting off with old and decrepit Twilight thinking back to the day when Celestia introduced her to a young filly named Ruby Jiselle. From here we quickly but descriptively go through her life again. Slowly witnessing the deaths of the ponies we all love... a rather heartbreaking little journey. As the story continues towards the end you know what's coming... you don't want to finish... but you simply have to. Very easy to read and follow.

MOOD

Intended Mood

The writer seemed to want to convey a lot of sadness in this story. But at the end, happiness. Happiness and realization that death is "not so bad"

Received Mood

What did I feel? I cried. Plain and Simple. At the first death my eyes were watery. The death was not graphic, it was not epic, it was not anything too powerful. It was perfect in my eyes. Rarity was the first to go. Her last words?

“Do as you like with me, but please, let me be fabulous.”

To me? That was perfect. Rarity wasn't overly emotional, she wasn't all "WORST POSSIBLE THING" she simply wanted to go out, and be... well fabulous.
At the beginning of this story I wanted Celestia to save Twilight, to give her immortality, to fix her and give her coat color again. At the end? I said goodbye to Twilight, and was happy that her torment was over.

GRAMMAR

This was the one thing I noticed needed slight work. Honestly the only issues I found was maybe slight repetition of points, (Like how in the description death is mentioned like 4 different ways) and the few moments where a word would be slightly misspelled or the writer would put "He" instead of "She"
My rating for this story has been decided, but the grammar will get a B+ I would have a proof reader scan your story real quick and then this story will be golden for grammar. (Hell, I'll proofread when I have the chance if you'd like)

TIPS AND HIGH-HOOF

Tips

As I stated before, have a proofreader just take a double check over it, find the couple of errors and correct them.
One other thing I think could've been slightly explained more was Twilight and Celestia's connection. Why did Celestia give her away? Only to be reunited with her again. The way it was written though was good, just a tad more explaining wouldn't have hurt.

High-Hoof

I could sit here forever and just talk about what I loved in this story. But the one thing I'll touch on was the beauty of it. Twilight in the beginning is afraid of death. She doesn't wanna leave, she feels like there was so much more in her life she could've done but wasn't able to. But in her final moments she meets with Celestia and sees all of Celestia's life in fast forward. All the pain Celestia has gone through, all the ponies she's loved and lost. Even giving the Grand Galloping Gala some history (A cool little thing.) At the end when Tia shows Twilight what it's like being immortal, and after sharing her biggest secret with Twi... Twilight can hear her friends singing to her... calling her home. At that point Twilight was ready, and after giving her last friendship report to Celestia... she says goodbye. DAMN IT. That was so freaking great. Well freaking done.

Rating: ~~*MASTERPIECE*~~
The amount of beauty in this story is just too much. I'm not giving this rating only based on my opinion of the writing, but the fact that the whole message behind this story is one that people in our day and age can relate to. (besides the seeing the memories on an immortal)
I recommend this to everyone! Whether or not you like feels, or like sad stories. Whether or not you like when the ponies die or not. It's just an amazing story, with a wonderful ending.

My Opinions

Ok now I get to go crazy. I loved this story so much. I cannot believe this was the writer's first fic! FIRST FIC?! I can't wait to read this person's last fic! So emotional and so beautiful. Each pony died in a way that was unique to them. Each pony left behind a legacy. When Pinkie Pie was knocking at death's door what did she do? She put a party hat on the Grim Reaper's head and said "I'll see you guys later!" Just awesome. When It's my time? I'm gonna throw a "Life Completed" party too. I can't give too much away but wow, The tears were rolling down my face. Why did I cry? Think about it, all around you your best friends are slowly dying, and as they die you watch their replacements just step in. Then your alone and you meet YOUR replacement. At first your upset but when you think back... and look at the entire past life of an immortal being you are ready. Ready to go and see your family once again. Most powerful line to me?

"I can hear them calling me. Can you hear them too?”
“Yes, dear. I can always hear them.” A comforting lie to ease the passing.

Boom.

Kalash93 good sir (or ma'am) Get a proofreader to double check your story, maybe add a thing or two in there, and then submit this to the Royal Guard. I honestly think this story has a chance. If it doesn't make it in, it still will be one of my favorite sad stories I've ever read. Thank you. (If you'd like my help... PM me, I will assist in anyway I can)

This was another review from Tidal. I gotta say... I hope when it's my turn to leave this earth... I can hear my friends and family singing to me. I won't fear death, I will instead be happy I lived, and hope my descendants can spread the love and friendship that I love to spread now.

These 6 are the ones who started it all.
I'm proud to have been there at the end.

Never Stop Smiling

Well done review, good sir.:ajsmug:

Tidal
Group Admin

2830176 Thank you my friend :twilightsmile:

I'm still misty-eyed... Lol

THIS FUCKIN' STORY!

I seriously considered talking to a therapist about the incomprehensible loneliness that I felt when I finished reading this so many months ago. I didn't come out of my dorm room for days. Fuck Physics; I'm not going to be remembered when I die because I've never had friends like Twilight has!:raritycry:

But ultimately, this is why I write. This story introduced me to Kalsh93, and it made me think that maybe I could be a part of this world too. This community has helped me change as a person, and I have this fic to thank for it.

I just wish I wasn't so acutely aware of how sad I really am...:ajsleepy:

Tidal
Group Admin

2830247 Oh god... That made it even worse!!! :pinkiesad2:

Tidal
Group Admin

2830292 that's why this fandom is so amazing. The love and friendship that is all over in the fandom is amazing. I've met some excellent people here and I'm glad I did. You have friends all over.. We are here!

MDNGHTRDHTLN
Group Admin

I can be such a heartless bastard sometimes, can't I?

Cromegas_Flare
Group Admin

Yes.... Yas you can.....:pinkiesad2:

Well, I WAS planning on having a good day. Now I think I'll just curl up and cry.

See you all when I stop feeling like a quivering ball of sadness.

If you all need to cheer up now, might I suggest reading a comedy?

Tidal
Group Admin

2831936 I was moping around work today... I'm like... Still sad. Lol
2832288 I would... But I love sad stories too much... And I gotta write mine too!

Rinnaul
Group Admin

This is why I don't review Sad fics. I kept giggling at that.

Just... that voice.

Tidal
Group Admin

2832715 That slideshow was super sad... Lol killed me

It was a good story, but am I the only one that didn't cry?

It's probably because I'm a heartless bastard.

I actually have a theory that: The more cold hearted you are, the better you are at writing sad stories. Or something. I dunno.:applejackunsure:

That was something alright. I usually don't read sad stories because of things like these.

Feels man.

Tidal
Group Admin

2839239 I'm light hearted... Not like overly emotional or anything... I don't cry randomly just some movies or books that are sad make me all teary eyed lol

Cromegas_Flare
Group Admin

I don't cry:ajsmug: My eyes just sweat:pinkiecrazy:

It's too bad because the author of the story hates me.:applejackunsure:

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 19