The Pleasant Commentator and Review Group! 1,288 members · 149 stories
Comments ( 6 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 6

Okay, okay, fine. Everyone else is doing reviews and getting the group active again, so in the true spirit of getting on the bandwagon, I might as well jump in and crank out a review or two while I have some time to do so.

(no image provided, so here’s some random Discord to spruce things up)

The atom we’re splitting today is one that is ridiculously convenient for me, considering that I read it of my own accord a few months ago and didn’t even realize that it was in the folder. So for that, I’m gonna pat myself on the back while apologizing to Viking for not writing this sooner.

Anyhoo, on with it.

First Impressions

The first thing I’ll say is that Discord Day Care isn’t flashy on the outside. Cover art is a huge deal when attracting readers, and the lack of an enticing image on the tin likely contributed to the low amount of attention that the story received on release.

However, the description makes up for some of that ground.

Months now. That's how long I've been serving penance. Cleaning hallways, doing chores, running errands. All for my actions in siding with Tirek.

But I've been good. I've been on my best behavior. I've said my apologies. And now, I'm almost free.

Just one, last, little job left.

It’s a vague but enticing little blurb, for my purposes. I went in expecting Discord to get mobbed by foals at some sort of daycare center and have a real 80’s sitcom-style change of heart, going from a maniacal wielder of unfathomable power to a sweater-wearing dad just because some kids made him feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

(I spent half an hour making that shit meme, you are required to laugh)

I will accept nothing less.

Review

0/10, wasn’t a cheesy 80’s sitcom in text format, complete with pauses left for the laugh track. On to the next review!

Okay, now that I’ve made you roll your eyes at least once, let's get started. Spoilers from here onward!

Discord Day Care is good. Really good. We start out with Discord serving a sentence of servitude to the Royal Sisters, performing various services and menial tasks as penance for his little coup d'etat with Tirek. And then for his final task, Luna decides to give Discord a strange task, one that would seem reckless and downright insane to any outside observer. She wants him to go volunteer at an orphanage.

Reactions to this range from distrust to repeated loss of consciousness.

The story took a route that I didn’t expect, showing Discord struggle against his nature and what society expects of him, finding little support despite his honest efforts to change who he is. Prim Rose, the mare in charge of the orphanage who has a condition that causes her to faint all the time, resents the fact that Discord has been sent to assist her, and quite openly. The other ponies on staff are more or less on the same page, wanting nothing more than for Discord to go away and never return. But royal decree is royal decree, and so they circumvent the requirement that Discord be there for three days and make him go scrape paint in a vacant wing of the building, out of sight, out of mind.

Right out of the gate, this story showcases the mind-bending fun that Discord is capable of. The narrative voice of the introductory paragraphs feels like it was written by Lemony Snicket, the tone of which carries over to Discord’s attitude throughout the piece; calculating yet spontaneous, misleading yet sincere. I loved how the narrative so seamlessly captured Discord’s worldview, making each of the endless stream of strange, whimsical occurrences that surround him feel normal, like it was just part of life. Of course, the other characters don’t share that worldview, and it’s a pleasure to watch them react to it in much the same way as we have seen on-screen in FiM itself.

As a longtime fan of Viking ZX’s work, this story is yet another example of his mastery over characterization. Every single pony in the story feels real, like there’s so much more to them that could be discovered if there was more to the fic. Particularly though, I want to focus my attention on Princess Luna’s presentation. Discord Day Care takes place in the same universe as The Dusk Guard Saga, the two current books of which we have already reviewed (both earned Masterpiece!). Her characterization here is pulled directly from the Saga, adding in her hobby of painting and the matured, more detailed personality here that directly builds off her in-show character. She’s wise and collected, knows exactly what she’s doing, but at the same time has an endearing touch of humanity (equinity? I don’t know, fight me). If I take this much further, I’m going to go into deep spoiler territory and probably start talking out of my ass, best to just let you give the story a shot to see what I mean :raritywink:

Not only that, but the plot was surprisingly poignant, showcasing the struggle to mend reputation. First impressions are hard to remedy when they’re bad, and it’s even harder when you’re an immortal demigod of chaos who wields a power seen by most as a mistake. Discord has committed himself to change, to using his power for good things and becoming a member of society, but convincing everyone that he’s sincerely changed? That’s a struggle that even a demigod won’t fix easily. It brings to mind the people we might know in our lives. The old bully from high school, the ex that you had a bad breakup with. Maybe they’ve realized their mistakes and bettered themselves, but would you be willing to see them another way? Would you give them another chance?

Overall, I loved this story from cover to cover. With the mark of a seasoned author with a lot of stories to tell, Viking ZX has delivered another high-quality bundle of horsewords that you should absolutely check out.

Must Read

And now that I’ve fulfilled my quota, I can safely disappear for a few more months before Muggonny guilts me into writing another one of these.

What’s that? I’m required to stay here and work forever? Oh well, it was worth a shot. See you all next time!

Zodiacspear
Group Contributor

There’s no rest for the [insert term here]

Muggonny
Group Admin

Upvoted for the Bojack reference.

Viking is a damned fine author. I'll have to check this one out.

Thanks for the review! I'm glad you enjoyed it so much! :twilightblush:

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 6