The Pleasant Commentator and Review Group! 1,289 members · 149 stories
Comments ( 11 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 11
Muggonny
Group Admin

Equestria, a land full of magic and friendship, living in harmony with both nature and each other.

You know, besides those couple times there was conflict and they were attacked by monsters and villains and their entire country was saved by a group of teenagers.

But otherwise things were going pretty good.

However, Celestia really did grow tired of dealing with these pesky villains, and decided it's time to change something. She sent out invitations to all past villains, evildoers, part-time entertainers and other creatures who probably shouldn't even be invited at all.

So, what could possibly go wrong when Celestria tries to get everyone to just hug it all out.

Well...a lot.

Characters: Celestia; Luna; Discord; Other; Chrysalis; Starlight Glimmer; Ember (waifu <3); Cadence

Genre(s): Comedy; Random

REVIEW

Now just to clarify, I actually read this fic a year back before I disappeared off the face of the earth for a couple of months, so by the time I decided to pick back up on this review, I also decided to give the fic another read. Last I remember of reading this fic, I was very bemused throughout. So upon the second reading I knew what I was getting myself into, but I found myself somewhat entertained by the absurdity. But that’s it. Really the most I can say about this fic in general.

What I really want to say about this fic, is the simple fact that I can’t say much because it’s made blatantly clear that the author didn’t take this story seriously. That’s fine. I can understand the writer’s need to write something because they think it’s fun, and I can more than support the author for putting in the effort to do so. But when the whole point of a story is to not take it seriously because the author didn’t, it’s kind of obvious whenever some lazy writing slips in. And the author knows abouts this (I specifically remember one scene where the author breaks the fourth wall and confronts the fact that the story is awful).

So the fact that the author knows the story is awful but wouldn’t put forth any effort to make it better means it can’t really be subject to criticism because I wouldn’t know what to help out with here. I’m sure if anybody else in this group picked this story up they would say something like, “Fix this,” or “Fix that,” but being the kind of critic I am, I really have no business nitpicking at this. That’s just not how I do things. I want to pick up a fic I can break down and find the source of the problem with, but the source of the problem here is that the story doesn’t care. So ultimately, there was no reason for the author to add it into the group in the first place.

Time to be honest: I love crackfics. Yes, I know they’re not the most raveling genre of fanfiction. But when you take a closer look at the plethora of fanfiction written, you began to see that most people are trying to be really serious about their work, and that gets in the way of their writing sometimes because it means they actually care what other people think of their work, so it’s nice to have people who want to even out the playing field by simply writing for the sake of writing. I myself am guilty of wanting to impress people with my work, but as a writer who’s been in this game for four years, I’ve learned to only somewhat stop caring what others think. So I’ll give the author props for doing what others, including myself, cannot.

Although looking at this fic from a critical perspective, I can’t say that this is something that I will want to read any time soon or any time ever. Most of the humor felt really forced, the author for sure needs to work on that, but as for the rest of the story, it’s only mildly amusing. I give this fic a recommendation if you’re ever in one of those fuck-it-I’m-gonna-read-something moods, but I don’t recommend reading it if you’re just looking for something new to pick up on.

All-in-all, I admire the author’s confidence, but there’s not much I can do here.

RATING

RATING

5/10

How I feel about it

If I can bring myself to write another one of these, I hope to switch up formats. Just need to learn the BB code system a bit.

I really don't like these horizontal rule designs.

6527875 I should do one of these things sometime.

Muggonny
Group Admin

They're honestly easy to write, you just have to be willing to give up a bit of free time, no matter how small.

Muggonny
Group Admin

This one was written under an hour, mostly because I wanted to get something out, but everything I said above is literally everything I wanted to say.

*snatches that Celestia image and slinks off to hide somewhere* :trixieshiftright:
You saw nothing...

Okay, on a serious note now; it's good to see this group squirm a little. I'm no good at reviews... I get too distracted too quickly and am prone to procrastinating... But this is a good, solid review. :twilightsmile:

*wishes he wasn't a natural-born procrastinator*:twilightblush:

- Quillian B. Inkheart

Muggonny
Group Admin

Thanks! I'm glad to bring some activity to this group in some way.

It's a good group; it helps bring attention to those stories that deserve it. I've been hoping someone would review my story for ages now. :rainbowlaugh: But, if comments and likes/dislikes are anything to go by, my story isn't bad. I know I wrote something to be proud of.

It's disappointing to see someone write a story without keeping the writing neat. Whether it's for fun or fame, cohesion is the building block of any story. Without it, your writing is sloppy, and no writing should be sloppy.

Yay, a review! And a good one, too.

Comment posted by Cromegas_Flare deleted Aug 2nd, 2018
Cromegas_Flare
Group Admin

A story written to be bad. Huh... Not bad... but bad because bad, to bad it was bad.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 11