The Pleasant Commentator and Review Group! 1,289 members · 149 stories
Comments ( 2 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 2
Cromegas_Flare
Group Admin

~~+~~

It took me five weeks after reading this story to sit down and write this review... To me that is unacceptable because that time will influence on how a review could turn out. I usually like writing these within a couple days of completion. Failing to do this usually puts me in a forgetful position, having the end result a hollow and pointless review.

This time however this is not the case, though I did re-read the story in case I did miss some things in my notes. So let me start of with a small summery of what I got from the story.

The story, filled with three chapters that complete the total span of 6,415 words, starts of with the main protagonist Paul Matthews discussing some life problems with his psychiatrist. The problems fall in a all to familiar depressive state that many people suffer from. However this does not fall into the typical depression type story. I was pleasantly surprised when the issue wasn't that Paul was trying to fix his boring and dull routine, but more so that he was used to it. That he felt no need to change something that really didn't need to be changed... at least from his perspective.

Then his doctor gives him a challenge.

"I have something I’d like you to try, though: pick three things from this pile of yours—three things you might normally lay back and accept—and conquer them before our session on Thursday. Will you do this?”

Of course, I have had a doctor ask me to do something similar to this before... and it's not easy. True, it's a simple request, a simple goal even, but easy? Never.

It was at that moment where I started to see some emotional connection to this story, and as I read on, I was not disappointed to when I had reached the ending.

This story may be a HiE story, but it has a good build that keeps to what a HiE story should be. In that sense, I feel a letter could be written at the end detailing the importance of being friends with yourself...

Aside from my thoughts being deep there, I find it difficult for me to properly spell out exactly what this story is and how I view it. I have never read a story much like this one and beyond the minor flaws of some rushed parts and weak characterization, this story does not focus or need those basic story factors. Those parts are not needed to be expounded on because they would then distract from the simple and beautiful message this story brings.

So, to anyone going in to read this story- keep in mind that it is short. However it's message is deep, and because of its simplicity, the message is strong. That is what I truly love about this story, and its a style I noticed that Burraku_Pansa has a knack for. Writing a beautiful peace of work, and it is amazingly simple, allowing any type of person to get something out of.

So if you enjoy a good story with a deep purpose, A Brush with Beauty is a work of art not only worth considering but should be on your list anyway. So if you are that type of reader, you need to pick up this story now and read it.

I dub this story.

Must Read

Thank you, Cromegas. This is right up there with the most glowing reviews of my work I've ever read.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 2