Equestrian Automobile Association 116 members · 102 stories
Comments ( 4 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 4

Autos in video games: any kind of auto, ones you love, ones you hate, ones you’re mixed towards, ones you hear good or bad things about but haven’t been able to drive just yet, and anywhere in between! My list:

Love - Infiniti G35 w/Grip Blueprint; Need for Speed: ProStreet
Even though this game is one of the black sheep of the series, it’s still a fun game nonetheless. And a Grip-blueprinted G35?

Improve the power, handling and aerodynamics, and it becomes a beast! Race Day mode has a pre-tuned one for Grip events, and it’s a serious force to be reckoned with; plus, from my experience with owning one, fitting Stage 2 engine and turbo upgrades will result in a cool sound when downshifting under heavy braking.

Love - Assassin Muscle, Tuned Coupe, and Assassin Sports; Burnout 3: Takedown
I love this game for how easy it is to score Takedowns behind the wheel of the right car (though I don’t hate the additional effort and strategy required in Revenge); those three cars are both well up to the job, and have the acceleration and sharp, grippy, controllable handling that gives an edge in every event outside of Road Rage.

Love - Buick GNX and Ford SVT Focus; Midnight Club: Los Angeles
The GNX being a fast car in this game is no surprise, but a North American Ford Focus from 2004? A bit less expected, but this is Midnight Club; you can modify a VW Golf to reach 200 mph in the third game.

And in MC:LA, when you upgrade either a GNX or Focus with all Level 1 parts, holy hell. Handling’s on the slippery side, but that hatchback can hit 180 mph with help from good ol’ nitrous oxide, and the Buick isn’t too far behind.

Love - McLaren 570S; CSR Racing 2
Had to include this; it’s a terrific mobile-platform drag racing game, and that’s a terrific car. It can be purchased with the game’s regular currency, and if you get ahold of Stage 6 upgrades and plenty of Fusion Parts, properly tune the result for the half-mile, and of course properly time your launch and shifts, the 570S will shut down every Tier 5 Crew Battle opponent like they’re just going for a weekend cruise.

Quarter-miles will be closer, but almost certainly not enough to make you sweat.

Not driven - Super Prototype; Burnout 3: Takedown
I’ve learned first-hand that even B3’s Super Series that are easy to control still have a somewhat steep learning curve compared to the ones just before; I’ve also read that, rather than a Face-Off, the Super Prototype is unlocked by winning a gold medal in every non-Crash event in World Tour, then being in the top spot in the otherwise-locked Gold Medal GP.

Hard, yes, and I’ve still got work to do to get there, but I hear very good things about the reward: great handling, can stay at top speed without boost, and is one of the best cars in the game for taking down the opposition.

Undecided - Ford Mustang GT; Need for Speed: Most Wanted (2005)
I think this car has some pretty cool body kits available, and I’ve read that it will hold its own in Career for a good amount of time, but I have yet to unlock any performance upgrades for it other than Level 1 N2O. I still plan to enjoy a heavily-upgraded one in arcade mode.

Mixed feelings - Motorcycles; Midnight Club 3 and Los Angeles
I’m actually fairly good on bikes in MX vs ATV Unleashed, but in my favorite Midnight Club games? ... Not so much.

In MC3, I’m better on choppers because they’re less likely to wipe out in a crash, and with sport bikes I find I do best on simple courses with wide roads, but on neither kind am I nearly as confident as when I’m piloting something with four wheels.

MC:LA’s slipperier physics sure don’t help, and neither does the game only having sport bikes, but luckily missions that can only be done with a motorcycle don’t come up until late in the game. For now I’m sticking to just test driving them, but it’s still a heck of a lot easier than it would be racing one of the things in real life.

Dislike - Ford Mustang GT; Need for Speed Carbon
It will hold its own well in Most Wanted, but in Carbon, the much lower performance upgrade level cap on Tier 1 and 2 cars heavily nerfs the ‘Stang to the point that it’s one of the game’s slowest Tier 2 Muscle cars.

I get that there are inevitably going to be cars that are bottom performers in each Tier, but the Mustang is the first Tier 2 car you unlock through Career if you choose the Muscle class, and until you can access events in other districts and unlock a good number of upgrades for Tier 2 cars, it’s way outgunned by the Tier 1 Muscle cars fully upgraded.

On a positive note, if you choose the Muscle class, beating the first boss that challenges you will unlock the fastest Tier 2 Muscle car.

Dislike - Saleen S7; Midnight Club: Los Angeles
It’s been years since I drove an exotic in MC3, and I had a hard time keeping them under control despite the game’s relatively grippy handling physics.

But the fastest car in MC:LA? Hoh boy.

I semi-recently completed a Delivery mission with one despite skipping to the next car whenever it came up before, but I’m still definitely not jumping at the idea of racing one against other vehicles; against the clock without damaging it too much is already hard enough for me.

What about The Crew?

Forgot about that one.

Abarth 500 essesse and Audi R8 5.2 quattro in Forza Motorsport 3 are two cars I have a lot of fun driving; same goes for the Nissan GT-R Black Edition in 6.

I actually have never played any of The Crews.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 4