FIMFiction UserScripts 383 members · 0 stories
Comments ( 21 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 21
yrfoxtaur
Group Contributor

This style pins the comment form to the bottom of the window, and autohides the emoticon panel and text entry box until you mouse over it (or tap it, if on mobile). It also disables the site's autoscroll feature (usually activated by clicking the 'reply to' button on a comment)

You can choose to not have autohiding if you like, and you can enable a "Compact Form" mode, which removes some of the extra space from the form

Available here here (updated)

2420154 This one seems right up my style as somebody who replies to almost all comments. :rainbowlaugh:

Selbi
Group Admin

I love this script for two reasons. One, obviously, because of its functionality. But even more so because I can finally understand how to pin stuff in web browser! So double thanks! :pinkiehappy:

yrfoxtaur
Group Contributor

I hope you like it!

I should note that on landscape mobile browsers, it is sorta hard to use. in portrait mode it's pretty OK, though.

2420217 Rarely use mobile. I prefer to stick to desktop browser unless I'm just not at home. But I'll test it out soonish.

Not only does this look pretty damn cool (and seems to be functioning pretty well in this, my first test), it finally got me to install Stylish.

Cast-Iron Caryatid
Group Contributor

I always meant to get around to moving the comment box to above the replies for stories since I use latest-first, but this is better. I edited my local copy to be completely transparent until mouseover and also limited the width a bit. I have a 2560x1440 screen, so full-width is kind of... not great for me :derpytongue2: I'm also not fond of the zero margin textarea on the compact version, but it's an option, so I suppose I can't complain.

yrfoxtaur
Group Contributor

2421240 yeah... the zero margin is a goof. I'll be fixing it later, I expect.

2420986 Awesome! I'm glad you're liking it so far

Had a really good test of it just now -- I was quoting multiple passages of a story, and it went much more smoothly than it ever did in the past. I ran into a problem with the Preview Comment function, though.

I had used it before, and noticed the Preview stayed in the comment window after the post had been entered, but that's more or less how things worked before, and I can work with that. For this lengthy comment, though, the preview filled the whole screen, and I no longer had the Add Comment button (or anything else) available to me.

I had to use my browser's back button to escape, and fortunately all of the text I had entered was still there when I hit the forward button. (Anyway, here's the story if you want to see how long a comment I'm talking about.)

yrfoxtaur
Group Contributor

oh.
hum. I can make the preview scroll when it exceeds a certain size, but I am not sure how to make it collapsible. of course, I'm not on my desktop at the moment. I'll see what I can do.

Anything you can do to help would be greatly appreciated.

yrfoxtaur
Group Contributor

Success!

Previews are now usable. They are collapsed by default. When you click the Preview button, a bar appears below the button, which will read:

"Hover/Tap to View"

First you read it, then you do it.

Very cool! If you've got the link updated, I'll pull the old and install the new.

yrfoxtaur
Group Contributor

It's good to go!
I just double checked on Firefox and Chrome. It works on both perfectly, though oddly the text in the bar is darker on Firefox. (oh, I see. Firefox renders images darker for some reason)

I suppose it is still possible to write a comment long enough to break things, but it should be harder to do. On desktop browsers, taking the mouse out of the window collapses everything.

I'm going to try to put the preview above the button bar next. that should be the be-all end-all to this issue

This should do nicely! Thank you!

With the new update, the comment form no longer collapses when you move the mouse out of the active area and is now permanently open. (I posted a comment on the thread to report broken scripts, but I figured I’d let you know directly.)

yrfoxtaur
Group Contributor

Hey, thanks! I didn't know about that thread.

I'll see what I can see as soon as I get home tonight.
(ETA: the class attribute of the textarea’s container has probably changed)

yrfoxtaur
Group Contributor

So I think I know what needs changing, but haven't been able to get on my desktop, and to top it off, can't seem to log in to my userstyles.org account. Hardly surprising, since I haven't used it since december 2013 (!)
Still, I should have something for you within a day or two.

yrfoxtaur
Group Contributor

Fixed! Well, partially. Form now collapses, but the preview doesn’t stay with it. also the settings are not brought along. Had to upload on a new account, as I still can’t get into my old one. Will be working on the second bug

current version is here: https://userstyles.org/styles/143627/fimfiction-net-pin-comment-form-to-window-bugfix

Oh, okay, I see what you mean about the preview, but thank you for updating it! It’s really nice to have it pinned to the bottom, and I really appreciate that you took the time to fix it. :twilightsmile:

yrfoxtaur
Group Contributor

Bringing this one back from the grave. what portions of it that are still relevant seem to work AOK.

I've rehosted the style on greasyfork, as userstyles.org is getting really annoying to use. If you don't have a userscript extension, click the second install button
Also, I can have all my things in one place now.

If you're still using Stylish, I recommend you switch to Stylus, which is based on the same code, but works better, and doesn't track you. the backup and restore functions of both work on the other's backups.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 21