Coalition for More Horse-Like Ponies 83 members · 25 stories
Comments ( 8 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 8

Okay, I've seen people do several things to remind the reader that these are not horse-shaped humans, but truly different creatures.

However, I've yet to see sight brought into it. Smell, yes, from DGD's stuff, but I'd like to see a bit of discussion on how well ponies can see.

Now, human vision is different, of course from horse vision. Horses are a bit short-sighted by ours standards (they do not have 20/20 vision) and their visible spectrum is more limited than ours. We talk of infrared, Twilight would talk of infragreen.

Pretty minor stuff, but this would be useful for when someone has a pony reflect on how different her new alien friend is- i.e that he can see things she cannot.

MLP ponies have huge eyes. Of course the spectrum they can see might be different, but what if this actually gave them much greater vision?

Who knows, but sounds like it'll be huge victims for an eye poke, or anything heading to their face for that matter.

The story Oh, to be old again had a interesting take on the eyes actually.

Eye plates. Admit it, it would answer just how they fit a brain into those skulls.

The HIE main character spent almost a page freaking out once he finally noticed because the concept weirded him out so much.

D G D Davidson
Group Admin

Eek, I must have my notifications screwed up, because I missed this thread. Some group leader, eh?

Canon gives us some difficulties with this because it's clear the ponies can see color pretty well. Their vision seems to be more-or-less human-like.

They also appear to have binocular vision, though I think an author is free to choose whether he wants to take the ponies' cartoony appearance literally, or imagine them as shaped more like real horses. I usually go for a sort of middle-of-the-road approach. Admittedly, I've more-or-less assumed they can see the same color spectrum we can, simply because that appears to be indicated in canon by the ponies' references to color. I have, however, hinted that human vision is clearer and that the ponies rely more heavily on their ears and noses.

I agree on this one. They certainly seem to have better color vision than IRL horses; their eye position suggests that they probably have a broader field of binocular vision than a real horse, but of course much less peripheral vision.

Depending on how an author wants to portray their eye size, I'd say it's plausible that their eyes aren't very efficient, given their huge pupils. It would be entirely believable that they have terrible night vision.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 8