- Marshmallows and Cotton CandyA collection of fluffy tales around Graves and the best sisters in Ponyville. We start with Sweetie Belle doing business. Serious business.12,088 words ·1,478 views ·261 likes ·9 dislikes
- Marshals: The Next GenerationFour of Equestria's finest military cadets seek entry into the elite branch of the marshal. However, in order to qualify, they have to pass the test of none other than Gunmetal Graves himself.12,310 words ·2,202 views ·275 likes ·10 dislikes
- Winter Wonders, Winter WorriesWinter's a wonderful time full of fun and festive frolicking. Just be sure not to catch the sniffles. 2,901 words ·1,870 views ·240 likes ·12 dislikes
- Delivery Directive: Do NOT Be LateMarshal Graves has simple orders: take the package and deliver it on time. Of course, simple orders never mean a simple time.6,754 words ·1,840 views ·211 likes ·6 dislikes
- Be a ManWith his crush on Rarity going the way of the dodo, Spike begins to wonder just what it means to be a man.5,322 words ·2,564 views ·305 likes ·17 dislikes
- Casino Battle RoyaleIn which a night of glitz and glamour becomes a bit more interesting for a couple of Equestria's finest.4,436 words ·2,506 views ·290 likes ·7 dislikes
- Nightmare Night 2: Halloweening HarderNightmare Night is back once more, which means a night chock full of hilarity, hi-jinks, and near apocalyptic obliteration. Need I say more?3,202 words ·2,660 views ·332 likes ·13 dislikes
- Dating is HardA short story in the Journey of Graves. Join our favorite grey eyed soldier as he navigates the new and treacherous minefield known as dating.6,744 words ·2,283 views ·350 likes ·13 dislikes
- There's a Reason They Call it a CrushSpike is definitely looking forward to the Ponyville girls coming home. Only... what's he to do when the object of his deepest affections turns out to be taken?9,720 words ·3,367 views ·395 likes ·20 dislikes
- Terror is the Bestest PonyIn which the League of Legend's Shadow of War is summoned not to Runeterra's Fields of Justice, but to little old Ponyville. Shenanigans ensue.4,329 words ·3,882 views ·421 likes ·7 dislikes
1,526 members follow GentlemanJ
- Fusion Blaster
- An hero
- Shadow Walker
- jon geir
- Professor Litmus
- grey conscience
- Flutter(noun/adjective here)
- D Styles
- Comedic Arts
Art, Audio, and Au Revoirs · 1:58pm
Ladies and Gentlemen,
If there was ever a scene I wanted to see from The Journey of Graves, it would be the the Gala evening where Graves and Rarity, after so many twisted turns and tangles, finally share their first kiss. Thanks to The Reanimator, the world can see why.
I love this scene. Absolutely, positively adore it, and this masterpiece captures the moment more brilliantly than I could ever have imagined. I mean, the two look exactly like they should. Graves, with his broad shoulders and impeccable posture, looks every inch the military man, a fact only accented by the minimalist designs of his very stylish coat. Rarity, on the other hand, is absolutely gorgeous. Her hair is silky and shimmery and styled to perfection, her gown gives the flowing impression of fluid grace, and she's got curves that could fell an ox at ten paces. There's a reason everyone thinks Rarity's beautiful and the artist here shows us exactly why.
However, those are just the individual components. When you put them together as the artist did, it gets even better because then, we get to see all the minute dynamics that make them such a wonderful couple. Graves is completely confused and with arms held to the sides, it looks almost as if his defenses have been breached in a frontal assault. In a way, that's exactly what happened as Rarity sashays in, gently pushes his arms aside through the guise of dance, and steals her very first kiss. Graves may have no idea what's going on, but from the young lady's expression and floating heel, you can bet that she knows and is enjoying every precious moment.
I could keep going on about the two of them, but let's also take a moment to appreciate the setting. The lighting and shadows of this scene are absolutely spectacular and almost serve as subtle spotlights to accent the impact of the scene Not only that, but the rough, stony architecture gives the exact kind of impression the tower should have. It has the lonely, austere feel that would certainly have attracted a younger Graves seeking peace and quiet, but it also has the elegant qualities of a castle that remind you you're still in the magnificent capital of Equestria on the most fabulous night of the year. It's true to the characters while being aesthetically lovely as well.
Finally, we look to the outside. The best kisses send of fireworks, literally. With a few choice blooms of color, we get just enough accent for the moment without detracting any attention from the young lovers in center. But for me, it wasn't the lights themselves I loved, but what sat behind. In the distances, we see dark clouds and somber skies in a dreary, starless sky. Artistically, it's brilliant because it doesn't distract but still provides character with the bold brushstrokes and flawless color scheme. Thematically though, it's even more brilliant because it also serves as a subtle reminder of what's looming on the horizon.
In a mere matter of hours, Graves will be fighting for his life and Rarity will be praying for the fate of her newly found love. However, in this moment, in this precise instant, it doesn't matter because what we have here is pure, simple perfection. To the Reanimator: thank you. You've taken a cornerstone of The Journey and brought it to full, glorious life.
In another round of delicious news, Intrapulation's Youtube reading of The Journey of Graves continues! Currently working on When the Man Comes Around, you can listen to Chapter 2 here as he works to bring the characters to life in a whole new way. Seriously, check it out. The guy's a hoot and his Apple Bloom list is just plain adorable.
Also, I'm told that the recruiting process has been successful and that he will soon have a lovely female voice actress aiding in his works. You can hear a sample of her skills here and let me tell you, if she's even half as good as she is here, I'll be seven shades of happy to hear her in The Journey.
The Au Revoir
Finally, we come to the sad point of this little message.
In order to get my current project finished up, there will be no new posts for the next few months. I know, stuff has been pretty slow recently and vague allusions to "something big" aren't any more helpful than a politician's campaign promises. I really am sorry for the delay, but I just can't start posting until I've got everything nailed in place and can actually make the stories something worth reading. Rest assured that I'm working as fast as I can and that nothing short of two deaths will keep me from finishing. Obviously, it'd be two because if I happen to die once, I'll just pull a Graves to come back and finish anyway, 'cause that's how I roll. Woop!.
When I do get back to posting, I'll try to make announcements a week or so in advance so nobody misses out when the new posts arrive. Thank you so much for for your patience, and I'm hoping that before the summer ends, I'll be able to see you all back here as The Journey continues.
With all the best regards,
The Journey of Graves: Season 1
- When the Man Comes Around As Ponyville prepares for arriving royal marshals, a new traveler quietly slips into town. 22,162 words · 16,647 views · 1,028 likes · 30 dislikes
- So... What Happens Next? Ordered to stay in Ponyville, Graves finds that his new life will take some getting used to. 6,605 words · 7,425 views · 777 likes · 14 dislikes
- Trouble Meets Disaster Marshal Graves gets settled in, but is called away on duty. Oddly enough, Sweetie Belle tags along. 13,514 words · 6,950 views · 740 likes · 15 dislikes
- Two Kinds of Complications Rarity wants a date. Sweetie Belle wants a brother. Lucky Graves just wants a day without headaches. 14,433 words · 6,900 views · 728 likes · 19 dislikes
- Untangling the Knot 21,591 words · 6,383 views · 710 likes · 17 dislikes