About Dark Body, Light Soul · 4:50pm
Hello, readers of the story. I'm the author, here with a few quick answers to questions you didn't ask! (or you asked in the comments and I didn't quite answer them there) Anyway, I've noticed some people kinda giving me the 'raised eyebrow WTF' look when reading some of the chapters. And, looking back through some of the chapters...it may be a proper reaction.
Especially Chapter 21. Yeesh, was that terrible in hindsight...
So here's a bit of trivia regarding the story and what I learned while writing it. You can read this for fun (warning: minor SPOILERS abound) or just wait for the next few chapters. But here we go!
1. The prologue was loosely based on a real-life happening. And, believe it or not, it's what started this story up. Yes, I did attempt an Ocarina of Time 3-heart run, and yes, I did fail in defeating the Fire Temple Boss. (I actually don't know if it failed then or at the Forest Temple Stalfos fight, but that's neither here nor there) No, there wasn't food with a senior citizen afterwards.
2. There are points where you, the readers, made a few off-hand comments about "is this referencing that?" While most of the answers are yes, there are a few where I was actually lying. Example: "The difficult we do immediately. The impossible takes us a while." I had no idea it was in Fallout 3. It's nice that I can reference a video game without even intending to!
3. Regarding the King of Necro City, I initially didn't plan on giving him a last name, simply being King Griffon. Realize, of course, I did NOT intend to make him a pretender to our beloved Griffin (copyright Blackwing), either now or when I first created him. While I intended to make him a mad (crazy, not angry) king intent on destroying the upper world, it didn't seem to fit with the style I actually wanted. So I toned him down to a well-intentioned king who was tired of his kingdom being one city big and paranoid of the bone men. Hence, why he didn't listen to Daniel when he warned him of the Reverent Dawn. (speaking of which, the Reverent Dawn was a group originally made by Forevermore, so unless HE based them on a video game group, they're not referencing anything)
4. I seem to love writing myself into corners. So much so, in fact, that it took another author to help me write out of it. However, in this respect, I must choose my guest authors wisely, as some are not as helpful as others. Example: I left two authors to help with a chapter as I went to get lunch one day. One had his idea written (in his style, I will credit him when the chapter is posted), while the other...well, let's just say he turned a comical adventure into an unabashed clop fic that would, in his words, "help you get the feature box for sure!" ...ladies and gentlemen, I'm not sure about you, but when it involves Daring Do (who is with Echo, copyright Rust) and Rainbow Dash (who is with Aoi Myoujin, copyright Io Kusanagi) with a skeleton, you can bet that it will be scorned to the depths of hell. (So if you see that clop fic, because I'm sure he will post it, I do NOT endorse it) And, fun fact, while DBLS didn't make feature box when it was first posted, it DOES hit the box almost every time it updates.
5. While the tag isn't there because it doesn't play a big of a part as comedy and adventure, there's gonna be a romantic scene or two. Daniel WILL be getting a girlfriend. However, there are only two ships that I currently have in mind: Melody (if chosen, a way to make her body match her age WILL be found, as dating a girl who looks like a 10-year-old is creepy) and Marcy (may not fly, no pun intended, since there are others who have a gryphon girlfriend *coughblackwingcough*). If you think Dan shouldn't have a girlfriend, or should but don't like these pairings, please speak up. Your opinions ARE taken into consideration. (Except if your opinion is 'stop writing, you suck,' which in that case, your opinion will be taken out back and shot)
6. Because the story is considered canon (part of the huge freaking collaboration project), I have to reveal somewhere along the line just where the events of this story occur on the timeline. I know I said '4 months after the Grand Galloping Gala' in one of my comments, but I MAY change it to an earlier time. (apologies if I do change it)
7. It may come as a surprise to you guys, but chapters are actually already on standby. They've been written, Glassed (my prereader, an awesome Dane) has read them and given them the green light, and I've put them here and edited it to look pretty. So why aren't they published? Because I've been wanting to time a new chapter with some cover art I've commissioned for. That's right, the current picture (taken from an unknown source, truthfully) is going to be replaced by art from the same person who drew the cover for 7-4's chessfic, "A Broken Peace." Sadly, it's taking more time than I thought, so I've been keeping chapters on standby for a while. You can forgive me...right? Please?
8. (God, this list is long!) When everything is finally shown, you'll note that Dan has 7 (!) allies. In order of appearance, they are Melody, Jack (name subject to change mid-story because of SO MANY JACKS!!!), Wisp, Drac, Morva, Marcy, and Shiira. Now, while each serves a purpose, Drac's is to be Mission Control. (read; he won't be on the front lines with us unless it's absolutely necessary) By the time the group leaves the marsh, one more will ally themselves with the group. And no, you haven't seen them before.
9. (Stay frosty, it's this and one more) You've probably noticed, but my thoughts on Chapter 21 after all is said and done is...less than approving. In all honesty, if I could simply say "It didn't happen," I would. So, I offer this: if anyone wishes to rewrite/make a whole different fight scene between Dan and Shanoa, go ahead and do so. If I like it, I will replace the current Chapter 21 with yours, and give you full credit + shower you with praises. (I'd include money, but I need a loan to qualify for 'broke,' so...)
10. (Last one, finally!) I mentioned an idea of mine called "Gaiden Chapters" in one of my chapters. What they are is exactly what it says: they're chapters that give a bit more information/back story, but aren't required to enjoy the main story. (though reading the main story can save you a LOT of confusion) In addition, Gaiden Chapters will have their own...story...thingy...so they don't disrupt the flow of the main story. However, I've been more focused on writing the main story than I have been writing the Gaiden Chapters. Again, this is where you guys come in! If the author's notes (or, in one case, the middle of the chapter) says that a Gaiden Chapter can be made, be creative and write it! Like point 9, if I like it, it will be posted, you will be given full credit and you shall be showered with praises. (do a good enough job and I'll watch you)
11. (Oh, God, I lied!!!) I realize that I cannot please everyone with the choices I make or the scenes I write. However, I aim to write this story the way I like and please those who read it. I must be doing it right, since as of this blog post, it's hit 200+ favorites and currently has about a 152-8 like-to-dislike rating. And if I do accidentally take the story south (as in, it gets worse), I can only hope that you guys can place me back on the right path and off the one that will only end in tears.
If there are any questions I didn't answer here or in the comments of the main DBLS, you can ask them here! Otherwise, thank you for reading this GIANT wall of text (I think it's bigger than some of my chapters, actually!) and, in the words of Jake, I hope you are having a fantastic day.