• Published 7th Feb 2012
  • 1,350 Views, 43 Comments

New Town, New Friends and Butterflies - Shysoldier94



Scion and his family move to Ponyville and he soon becomes aware of a certain pink-haired pegasus.

  • ...
5
 43
 1,350

When You Wake Up

Fluttershy couldn’t believe what she was seeing. It has been more than 8 days since she saw Scion’s eyes open. She was speechless and couldn’t move. Scion began blinking and slowly looked around the room until his eyes were fixed on Fluttershy’s. For a few seconds none of them blinked nor moved. Scion broke the silence, “I know that beautiful face…”

Fluttershy couldn’t help but smile as tears became visible.

“Fluttershy it’s time to go. We need to…” Twilight paused as she turned the corner into the room and looked at Scion. She quickly turned around and yelled down the hall, “Dr. Wingsley!”

A few seconds later he trotted into the room. “What? What is it?” He asked.

Twilight pointed at Scion. “Look he’s awake!”

Dr. Wingsley turned and looked at Scion and to his surprise, was awake. He walked up to his side. “Scion,” he began, “can you hear me? Do you know where you are?”

He continued to look around the room before slowly closing his eyes. A small snore came from his snout a few seconds later.

Dr. Wingsley let out a small chuckle and turned to face the two mares behind him. “Well I have good news, and even better news. Which would you like to hear first?”

“Uh the good news?” Twilight said.

“The good news is Scion doesn’t have to be transported to Canterlot tonight. The even better news is he’s out of his comatose state. And right now, he’s just sleeping. You could probably tell from his snoring.” Dr. Wingsley replied.

This news made Fluttershy exhale with relief and giggle at Scion’s snoring. Well now I know he snores. She thought.

Twilight wrapped a hoof around her friends’ shoulder. “I told you he was gonna make it.” She whispered.

Fluttershy smiled and wiped her eyes.

“Miss Fluttershy,” Dr Wingsley began, “If I may say, you have been in this room and haven’t left since he was admitted here. You look exhausted and barely have had any sleep. Maybe you should get some rest. You look like you can barely stand. I can assure you now that he’s going to be just fine.” He then gave her a reassuring smile.

Fluttershy walked up to the doctor and wrapped her hooves around him. “Thank you.” She whispered. “Thank you for bringing Scion back.”

He smiled and nodded. “I did what I was trained to do.” Then he leaned in closer and whispered, “Between you and me, I think this young stallion really cares for you. When I came in here a few days ago while you were out, I heard him say your name 3 times and I thought I saw him smile too.”

Fluttershy beamed, although she felt as if she was going to fall over from the lack of sleep.

“Come on Fluttershy,” Twilight said, “You need some rest. Like the doctor said, he’ll be just fine.”

She agreed as she let out a long yawn. The two exited the front entrance and headed to Twilight’s home. Once there, Spike ran to them. “Is Scion okay? Please tell me he won’t have to be moved to Canterlot.” He asked in a desperate manner.

“He’s going to be fine Spike.” Twilight replied. “He woke up today from his coma and the doctor said he should be awake up and around in no time.” Although the doctor didn’t say that last part, Twilight thought the poor baby dragon needed some good news. He too looked as if he hasn’t slept well.

He smiled and walked toward the nearest window and looked at the sky. “Thank Celestia he’s okay.” He whispered.

“Up this way Fluttershy,” Twilight began, “I’ll lead you to the guest room.” She turned around and saw her friend struggling to make the first few steps. She turned around and took Fluttershy’s leg and wrapped it around her shoulder.

Once inside the guest room, Twilight helped Fluttershy get into the bed. “Now you get some rest. Scion will be happy to see you when he wakes up again.”

She turned around and before she left, she heard Fluttershy speak, “Um Twilight?”

“Yes?” Twilight replied but noticed her friend was sound asleep. She let out a soft giggle as she walked out and closed the door.

She walked down the steps and went to look for Spike. She spotted him in the center room lying on the couch looking at the ceiling. “Hey Spike?” She said softly.

“What is it Twilight?” He asked

“I know you’re probably exhausted too but do you think you can check up on Fluttershy every once in a while?”

“Yeah of course. Why where you going?” He replied.

“I’m just gonna go tell the others the big news.” She answered.

“Oh yeah you can go do that. Just don’t be gone long because I don’t know how much longer I can stay awake.” He finished with a yawn.

“Don’t worry Spike; I’ll be as quick as I can.” She said as she left trotted out the front door.

As she made her way down the road, she thought of whom to go to first. Hmm, well Pinkie Pie is closest and… She stopped and shook her head. No I’ll tell her last. She’ll go crazy over the excitement. She shuddered and began walking again. She looked up in the sky and saw a lone cloud with a figure on top. That’s gotta be Rainbow. She thought.

“Rainbow Dash!” she called up. Sure enough Rainbow poked her head through the cloud.

“Oh hey Twilight, what’s up?” She asked.

“Come down here and I’ll tell you.”

Rainbow bounced off the cloud and flapped her wings a few times coming to a light landing in front of Twilight. “Alright, I’m here. Now what’s it you gotta tell me?”

“Well there’s good news and even better news. Which would you like to hear first?” Twilight asked, trying to imitate Dr. Wingsley.

“The good news.” Rainbow replied with a ‘duh’ expression.

Twilight giggled. “The good news is Scion doesn’t have to be transported to Canterlot.”

Rainbow Dash smiled. “Yes! That means he’s made some improvements. What’s the better news?”

“The better news is he woke up from his coma.” Twilight could barely hold her excitement.

“No way! This is so awesome!” She shrieked and made a back flip. “How’s Fluttershy doing?”

“She’s at my place in the guest room asleep. Poor girl hasn’t had much sleep since she heard he was in the hospital.”

“I bet.” She replied.

“I went off to go tell everypony the good news but I’m afraid it’ll take too long. Do you think you could tell Applejack since you could get there much quicker than I.” Twilight asked.

“I’m on it.” Rainbow said as she saluted and flew off to Sweet Apple Acres.

Twilight turned and continued on to Rarity’s. Once there she rang the doorbell.

A few seconds later, she answered. “Twilight how are you? Come in.”

“No time Rarity. I just came to tell you that Scion is out of his coma and is asleep.” She replied.

Rarity beamed. “Really?! Oh this is marvelous! Fluttershy will be so happy.”

“She already knows. She’s at my place in the guest room sleeping.” Twilight said

“I haven’t seen her leave that room much. Ever since he was admitted there, she almost never left his side unless one of us made her eat something.” Rarity added.

“I know. Oh, do you think you can check up on her? Spike’s doing so but I don’t think he’ll be awake much longer.” Twilight asked.

“Oh of course dear.” Rarity replied.

“Thank you. I gotta go let Pinkie know. I’ll meet you back at the library.” Twilight added.

Rarity nodded and walked out the door with Twilight. She made her way towards Twilight’s home as Twilight went to Sugarcube Corner. When she got there, Mr. and Mrs. Cake greeted her.

“Is Pinkie Pie here?” Twilight asked.

“Yes of course. I’ll go get her.” Mr. Cake replied.

A few seconds later, Pinkie appeared as she slowly made her way down the steps. When she was fully visible, Twilight saw her mane and tail was flat.

“What’s wrong Pinkie?”Twilight asked.

“She hasn’t spoken a word since Scion’s accident.” Mr. Cake explained. “The Twins tried to cheer her up by pouring a bag of flour over them but that didn’t work. We all tried but nothing’s worked. She’s always been very sensitive about ponies and their health. ”

Twilight smiled. “Well I’ve got some news that’ll cheer her up in an instant.”

Pinkie slowly looked up.

“Pinkie, Scion doesn’t have to be transported to Canterlot. He woke up from his coma.” Twilight said.

Pinkie made a small smile.

“And he’s just asleep and the doctor said he’d be just fine.” She added.

“That’s wonderful news!” Mrs. Cake exclaimed.

Twilight became worried as her friend didn’t bounce around with joy from the news like she expected her to do. “Aren’t you happy Pinkie?”

“I am.” She replied in a soft voice. “I just want to see for myself.”

Twilight understood. “Well you can stay at my place until Fluttershy wakes up. We’re planning on going to visit him as soon as she does.”

Pinkie smiled. “Okay.” She stood up and walked with Twilight to her house. It took longer than usual since Pinkie wasn’t in the mood but just by few minutes.

Once they arrived, they both walked in and Twilight noticed everypony was there. “Wow you girls get here fast.” Twilight said in surprise. Then she turned and saw Spike laying flat on his stomach. “What happened to him?”

“Well when I walked in, he was lying on his back on the couch facing the ceiling. And when I told him I was relieving him of duty, he flung his arms up and said ‘Sweet Celestia’ and turned and fell straight to the ground and has been sleeping since.” Rarity explained.

Everypony in the room laughed.

Once the laughter died down, Rainbow Dash spoke, “So I guess we’re gonna chill here ‘till Fluttershy wakes up and then we’re gonna go visit Scion?”

They all looked at each other and started nodding their heads.

*******************************

Fluttershy began to wake. She yawned and opened her eyes. Feeling well rested, she got up from the bed and walked to the window and looked out. The clock tower showed 11:27. How long have I been asleep? She thought. Fluttershy turned and walked to the door and opened it. When she made it down the steps, she noticed all her friends were waiting in the living room.

“Hey look at who’s awake.” Applejack said.

“Feeling better?” Rainbow asked.

Fluttershy giggled. “Much better. How long have I been asleep?”

“About fourteen hours.” Twilight replied.

Her eyes grew wide. Wow I never slept that long before in my life! She thought.

To her surprise, Rainbow walked to Fluttershy and whispered in her ear, “Can I talk to you for a second?”

“Uh sure.” She began. “Excuse me everypony.”

She followed Rainbow up the stairs and into the guest room. Fluttershy walked to the middle as Rainbow closed the door.

“So umm what is it you have to talk abou…” Fluttershy was cut off from what she was about to say when Rainbow Dash gave her a warm and meaningful hug.

A minute later, Rainbow let go.

“Um what was that about Rainbow?” Fluttershy asked curiously.

“I just wanted to say… I’m proud of you.” Rainbow replied.

“Proud of me?”

“Yeah. I mean throughout this whole ordeal, you stayed strong. When I told you the news about Scion, I didn’t think you were able to handle it. I never thought you were so strong but you proved me wrong. You are so much more than I ever thought I’d be. If something like this happened to me and my special somepony ended up in the hospital, I think it’s safe to say I would’ve broke down. But you didn’t. You stayed right there at his bedside and didn’t leave. You promised him that you’d never leave him. You have so much dedication and love for that young stallion. I’m very proud of you.” Rainbow said.

Fluttershy didn’t know what to say. She never heard Rainbow talk like this before. “Th-thanks Rainbow Dash. That means a lot.”

They hugged again but this time for much longer.

“Fluttershy?” Rainbow said.

“Yes?”

“I know I haven’t always shown it or said it but, you’ve always been my best friend. Even back in Junior Flight Camp when we first met. You know that right?” She said.

Fluttershy felt a tear fall down her cheek. She couldn’t speak but just nodded her head and held her best friend close.

After a few minutes, they let go and wiped away their tears.

“Come on,” Rainbow began, “Let’s go meet the others downstairs.”

Fluttershy nodded and followed Rainbow down to the living room.

“Is everything alright?” Rarity asked.

“Yeah I just had to talk to her for a few minutes.” Rainbow replied.

“Well shall we head over to th’ hospital now?” Applejack asked.

Fluttershy nodded her head. “Let’s.”

They all headed out of Twilight’s home and walked down the path to the Hospital. Once there, they walked to the front desk. Nurse Redheart smiled and motioned for them that they could. They walked down the hall and turned into Scion’s room. They noticed that his parents and Leo were already there.

The first thing Fluttershy did was walk up to Scion’s side. She nuzzled his cheek softly and noticed he wore a smile. She smiled too.

Everypony in the room let out a soft ‘aww’. She turned around with her face red. Even Dr. Wingsley too was smiling.

“So Doc how long has he been out of his coma?” Rainbow asked. “Or better said, how long has he been sleeping?”

Dr. Wingsley looked at his watch. “I’d say… eh about fifteen and a half hours.”

Rainbow’s eyes grew wide. “Jeez even I don’t sleep that long!” She began to hover above Scion almost touching his muzzle. She put on a playful glare, “How do you sleep that long?”

She jumped back when she heard a muffled response and a white hoof touched her face. “Because I can!”