• Published 21st Apr 2013
  • 7,282 Views, 118 Comments

Twilight Sparkle Waits For A Train - GeodesicDragon



Princess Twilight Sparkle is expecting her friends to arrive in Canterlot. But when the train doesn't arrive on time, she starts to fear the worst.

  • ...
41
 118
 7,282

Breakdown

CHAPTER THREE

Breakdown

The train carriage was filled with the sounds of excited chatter from the various passengers. Some were excited about seeing family, others were excited about seeing a new city for the first time, and others were simply waiting for the chance to get off the train so that they could finally stretch their limbs.

In one carriage sat the five bearers of the Elements of Harmony, talking amongst themselves about their plans for the day.

"So the plan is this," Rainbow Dash said. "Arrive in Canterlot, meet up with Twilight, take a walk around the city, maybe do some shopping, and then go back to the castle so we can relax." She looked at the others expectantly. "Sound good?"

"Sounds good ta me, Rainbow," Applejack replied.

"Oh yes," Rarity said. "The idea of shopping in Canterlot is simply divine. I hope to find some wonderful new hats and formal attire, or maybe some exotic new fabric that I can use in my designs."

"Relaxing sounds nice," Fluttershy added. "Especially since today sounds like it's going to be so busy. It's always nice to relax."

"Heck yeah!" Rainbow Dash cheered. "I love relaxing."

Applejack snorted and laughed. "Relaxin' is all ya ever seem ta do, Rainbow," she said jovially. "In fact, I reckon that eighty percent of yer day is spent takin' naps on clouds."

Rainbow Dash narrowed her eyes for a moment before making a sound of dismissal. "Actually, it's more like ninety," she said. "Busting clouds is harder than it looks, plus I've got my training..."

Applejack scoffed. "Try buckin' hunners of apple trees in a day," she said. "Then ya will really appreciate yer little naps."

The two mares glared at each other for a moment before Rainbow Dash lost her composure and fell over laughing, followed shortly by Applejack. Rarity watched the two with a raised eyebrow.

"If you are quite finished, then we need to make sure that we are presentable," she said. "It simply will not do to walk around Canterlot looking like a bunch of scruffs." Applejack tutted while Rainbow Dash simply groaned loudly ā€” sounds Rarity ignored as she opened a bag, levitating out a selection of beautification items. "If anypony needs me, then I will be in the restroom. I suggest you all take my advice and freshen up."

As Rarity trotted towards the restroom the train began shaking violently from side to side, the five mares soon finding themselves sliding around the floor of the carriage.

"What the heck is goin' on now?" Applejack snapped. "Did the driver suddenly decide he wanted ta be a stunt pony?"

A series of bangs silenced any answer that would have followed as the train slowly ground to a halt. Looking out the window, the group saw smoke and steam billowing into the atmosphere. A crackling noise heralded the speaker above their heads bursting into life, the gravelly voice of the conductor filtering through.

"Your attention, please," he said. "The train has developed a serious mechanical fault and has been forced to make an emergency stop. All passengers are advised to evacuate the train immediately through the nearest exit and assemble at the side of the tracks. We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause."

The train filled with the voices of concerned passengers as they followed the advice they were given, and soon a small crowd had gathered in a small field near the tracks ā€” the midday sun beating down on them relentlessly. The only available shade was from a small tree, under which sat a few elderly ponies.

Rarity let out a whimper as she stepped into the mud-filled field, looking wistfully back at the train. Applejack and Rainbow Dash both stifled laughter as they watched the fashionista, who proceeded to glare at them angrily.

"This simply will not do!" she whined. "By the time a replacement train arrives, or they fix this one, I will be a sweaty mess! That may be all right for you two, but it is not all right for me!"

Fluttershy came up to Rarity's side and patted her on the back gently before hugging her.

"It's okay, Rarity," she said. "They'll fix it in no time at all, and then we can get to Canterlot to see Twilight. Then, maybe, you and I can go to the spa there... if that's all right with you."

"Thank you, darling," Rarity let out a small sigh. "That would be very nice indeed. I guess that could help me get over the horror of being stuck in the mud for a few hours."

Rainbow Dash coughed nervously and rubbed the back of her head sheepishly. Rarity glanced at her and raised an eyebrow. "Actually," she said. "The Cloudsdale Weather Centre has ordered a period of heavy rain for this area, to help the local farmer."

She pointed a hoof at the sky, where several pegasi were moving clouds of various shapes and sizes into position. Rarity's eyes widened and her jaw dropped. "When is it due to start?" she asked, "Please tell me it's scheduled for tomorrow!"

"It's..." Dash mumbled. "It's actually due to start nā€”"

Her sentence was cut off as the heavens opened and doused the area, as well as the ponies occupying it, in a deluge of water. Rarity stood silent for a moment before choking out a small sob.

"Better get comfortable, girls." Rainbow Dash sighed. "Because we're in for one heck of a wait."

***

"There you go, Spike," Twilight said smugly. "How about that for an explanation? It's logical, and not as bad as the train being robbed. But either way, I still hope that neither are true."

"It's possible," Spike replied. "But there would have been an announcement if that was the case. And since there hasn't been one... well, you can see where I'm going with this."

"All right then, smart-flank," Twilight snapped. "How about this?"