• Published 19th Apr 2013
  • 2,638 Views, 18 Comments

The Omniship Omnibus - Baby Seal Burritos



They couldn't choose one and leave the others behind, so they formed the most powerful of bonds in Equestria.

  • ...
2
 18
 2,638

Their Happiest Day (So Far)

Everypony else objected to having it in Ponyville. Wasn’t Canterlot a much better place for the Elements of Harmony, saviors of Equestria, led by the protégé of the Princess herself to be wed? It could have been a spectacle with feasts and toasts and festivals, and the noble and elite upper class could lavish compliments on the blushing brides to be.

It was almost insulting how quickly the entire group declined.

But Celestia took all the complaints in stride, smiling—or rather beaming—and tut tutting at the little ponies before her. “Who can tell brides what to do on the happiest day of their lives? Surely you wouldn’t take that from them, would you?”

And then they were silenced. For the time being. They only grumbled amongst themselves now and then, but still they sent presents and their best regards to the small town in the countryside.

As for the Elements themselves, they were resplendent. Each one carried themselves with as much a spring in their step as Pinkie did normally, and Pinkie carried herself with an even bigger spring and a wiggle of her hips. Even Applejack and Rainbow Dash were too happy to find it in themselves to complain about the endless dress fittings at Rarity’s where she would purposefully pull the measuring tape a little too tight or kiss them in a slightly compromising area while pinning a pattern together.

Twilight grinned from ear to ear as she worked side by side with Rarity and Pinkie Pie setting up the decorations in the city hall. She kept them on task, for the most part, exempting for the time or two that Pinkie decided they really needed a break, and she was really too much for Twilight to refuse.

Pinkie also worked with Applejack in the kitchen; Applejack had insisted on catering the whole affair themselves, Pinkie Pie was all too happy to oblige, and the others couldn’t find it in themselves to argue. Rarity stage whispered to Twilight that Applejack was feeling the onset of jitters and just needed something to do with her hooves to settle her down. A well tossed apple or two chased them out the door, giggling.

Rainbow Dash was often being chased out of many of the set up activities, and she moped about it for an entire day before Twilight explained that she would be in charge of making sure the weather was wonderful for their big day. When this didn’t soothe her, Fluttershy suggested Rainbow Dash consider trying a Sonic Rainboom with a partner, and then Rainbow Dash was perfectly happy the rest of the week.

Twilight wrote the invitations with Spike. He was often on the verge of tears whenever he looked at Twilight, and she felt a twinge of sympathy as she remembered how hard it had been when Shining Armor had been married. She made sure to give him lots of affection to make up for lost time, and maybe even time she wouldn’t be around as much. Twilight had been worried about how marrying Rarity would affect him, but he seemed very much happy for them all and insisted that he had realized how shallow his boyhood crush had been. Twilight gave him a nuzzle every time she remembered, and he seemed all too happy to accept them.

Invitations went out to all corners of Equestria as each girl invited her family and their closest friends. Well, except Applejack who deigned not to invite the whole clan but just a few of the closest cousins and uncles and aunts who she was fond of. The Apple Family opened their barn doors for the reception; however, and was not stingy in the least when it came to providing the food and drink.

The day of, ponies streamed in from Canterlot and Las Pegasus and Appleloosa, all wearing fine dresses and suits and ties, dressed up to the nines and some already tearing up into their hoofkerchiefs. They filed in and sat in cramped quarters, none begrudging their neighbors the space in which to sit. The hall filled with pleasant chatter and happy tears as friends and family talked about how excited they were for them and how much they had meant to them all.

Spike clambered up onto the risers, tapping a claw against a microphone, and clearing his throat. All the babbling ceased, and all eyes drifted towards the still small dragon in his tuxedo and top hot. Not a pony failed to notice the redness of his eyes or the hoofkerchief he blotted against his face, but not a soul held it against him.

He spoke and his voice hitched a little, “Welcome everypony. I’d like to extend a formal thank you for attending this most wonderful celebration of love and community. I don’t have a lot to say, but I just wanted to mention that each of these beautiful ponies means the world to me, and I am so happy to be here today and see them get the happiness they deserve.”

He returned the mic to its stand, and scampered back over to stand in his place of honor as the Best Dragon.

Princess Celestia smiled brilliantly and trotted forward to grab the microphone for herself. “Thank you Spike. And now we’re ready to begin.”

The rest of the service was a blur of color and sound and bliss, as the Elements of Harmony trotted up the aisle in pairs, each in a magnificent gown, and stood together at the altar. They all missed their cue to speak as each of them smiled at each other and nuzzled one another and Pinkie Pie whispered things into Rainbow Dash’s ear that made her grin wickedly at Twilight. Applejack had tried to pay attention and to remain a stoic example, but even she cracked a grin when Fluttershy hid behind her wing as if that would stop the giggles from coming.

Rainbow Dash was the first to cry when Fluttershy gave her speech. Pinkie Pie crumbled when Twilight spoke about what each of them meant to each other. And Applejack, well she didn’t last long after Pinkie buried her face in the earth pony’s shoulder.

Finally their vows were exchanged, and they each kissed each other in a mass of confusion and passion that both amused and slightly embarrassed their audience. And then they all ran to Sweet Apple Acres to party harder than any pony could remember partying before.

But when the six of them piled into the chariot that would whisk them away to their honeymoon, Spike offered them a small wrapped present tied up with twine.

“I don’t know when you’ll be coming back to Ponyville,” he began, trying his hardest not to cry again, “but that’s for you. To help remember I guess.”

Each pony gave him a kiss on the cheek and promised to keep in touch, and as they flew away they gathered around Twilight who unwrapped the gift with frustrating patience.

It was a scrapbook. Put together solely by Spike, and detailing their journey as both friends and lovers. And at the end was a message, blotted with now dry tears:

To my beloved sisters, until I see you again.

Author's Note:

Written in thirty minutes for Thirty Minute Ponies for Prompt 94 ("Twilight Sparkle’s last day in Ponyville was the happiest day of her life.").