• Published 24th Apr 2013
  • 1,078 Views, 17 Comments

Blazing Darkness - shadeofthenight



Digging through the past can bring up long forgotten memories... or worse

  • ...
1
 17
 1,078

The Sun's Final Dusk Pt 1: The Game

Everfree Prison

Celestia breathed hard as her two friends stirred around her in the smoking crater that once was the prison. Celestia had forgotten how deep she had made it, but she stood at least a few miles below the surface. Yet, even though she had destroyed the prison, the power around it was still very strong. It was also growing for some reason, like it was getting closer or... Excellent, Celestia thought, relishing the chance to crush the nightmare population once and for all. She turned towards the sleeping forms of Shining Armor(who had calmed down and slipped unconscious to Celestia's relief) and Cadence. She couldn't risk putting them in danger, so it was time for them to return to the castle. Her horn flared for an instant, then Cadence and Shining Armor vanished. Celestia sighed as she started flying upwards, they would most likely wake up in their room, and at least they would be safe.

Celestia landed on the ground above the crater. noticing the sky growing dark around her and the smell of burning flesh reached her nose. He was coming, coming straight for her. Celestia thought to herself, preparing herself for a fight that would test all of her ability.


Lucid Dream watched Celestia as she conjured her battle armor. He grinned, soon she would call her reinforcements, around thirteen in all. And she was expecting him, excellent. This was a perfect time to test a few new things he had learned. With any luck, he wouldn't have to call the Fiery Void's power at all. Ah hells, why not? It made things so much more fun.


Celestia concentrated again, sending a mental message to 13 of her top unicorn soldiers and telling them to warp into her location. With the added firepower, they should easily take down the nightmare. A few seconds later there were thirteen flashes and thirteen unicorns stood at attention.

"Flashbolts reporting for duty ma'am." Their leader, a tall unicorn mare named Flaremane stepped forward.

Celestia smiled,"Good, here is your assignment. As of yesterday a high security prisoner escaped. our job is to capture or eliminate said prisoner."

The thirteen unicorns nodded, They knew the risks. Flare was about to issue standard recon procedures when the scenery began to shift. They all heard a sinister voice in their heads,

Want to play a game?

"Lucid Dream!" Celestia snarled. Instantly everyone was on alert, but since the scenery was shifting rapidly around them, if was difficult to make out anything.

I'm surprised you remembered Celly. But we can get back to the tearful reunion if you win the game.

"Show yourself coward!" Flaremane roared looking around.

Lemme think about it, no. Besides, you haven't heard the rules of the game yet. The scenery stopped shifting until they were standing in what looked to be a building, but it was so dark, they had to cast a light spell to illuminate where they were. They were standing in the ruins of a building, and from Celestia's much brighter light, the remains of a city.

"Where aer we?" One of the unicorns asked, shifting nervously and causing dust to stir.

Home. Something that i have not seen in a very long time. Anyway, so the rules of the game: You fourteen must make it to the gate located somewhere in the city that leads out of here. However, if you lose, you won't be going anywhere. And you don't lose until i kill you.

"Kill us? Sure, you aren't strong enough to take us on in a group so you just prefer to take us out one by one. Sniveling coward..." One of the unicorns muttered, then gasped as something buried itself into his neck. He collapsed to the ground, dead from the large bone fragment in his throat.

Tut Tut Tut, and i thought the Sunguards were actually educated now. Not pulled right out of pony school. Anyway, the point is that none of you are leaving unless you make it to the gate, or i kill you all except Celestia. If that happens, I can guarantee that there will be fireworks. Am I right Celly?

Celestia bared her teeth,"Yes, and there might be some when i find you too."

Excellent! Now, i'll give you a five minute head start, after that i will come after you. Any other questions?

Flaremane shouted at the ceiling,"If you can kill us all now, why not do it?" She demanded.

Because i prefer giving other ponies a small chance of hope. That is, until they die horribly. HAHAHAHA! So time starts now and after that, you had best start praying to your goddess. But wait...THAT WON'T HELP EITHER!

Then there was silence, leaving the twelve unicorns and Celestia alone in the dark ruins of the city. Celestia turned to the group,

"We need to get moving...Now." The unicorns nodded, getting into formation around her as they proceeded down the slanted hallway.

"Milady, if i may ask...what is this place?" asked Flaremane.

Celestia sighed, using her sun ray to brighten the path downward,"This is an ancient city, one whose legacy has been long forgotten by normal ponykind. Its inhabitants have long since abandoned it." She replied, stepping on a small sigil and causing it to glow.

"GET BACK!" Flaremane ordered, pushing Celestia and some of the other unicorns out of the way. There was a loud CRASH! and a large boulder fell and smashed to pieces near Flaremane, who staggered backwards, pieces of stone embedded in her forelegs. There came a chuckle and then the voice again,

Oh yea, forgot to mention that the sigil traps have all been reactivated. Honestly, i think i have forgotten what some of them even do... There was a brief pause and a sense of pure hatred oozed from everywhere.

"Whats the matter cur, losing your nerve?" Celestia taunted, hoping to at least gain some information. The voice replied in a different tone, one which betrayed a hate that was several thousand years old,

Changelings.

Author's Note:

I apologize for splitting this up into different parts, once all of them are done i will merge them into one chapter. The Sun's Final Dusk may be a three to four parter but it will end the story. At least this one, I'll be writing a sequel when i'm done with it and writing some more of my other story. Anyway, next part: The Sun's Final Dusk Pt 2: Through the Ruins