• Published 23rd Apr 2013
  • 1,786 Views, 130 Comments

Ace of Hearts - blowngasket



A continuation of the story Jokers Wild. We follow the antics of the master of disguise as he takes a break from city life in the small town of Ponyville. (humanized ponies warning)

  • ...
8
 130
 1,786

Intermission

Chapter 16: Intermission (The Demon Incident)

Three Years Ago...

"Lieutenant Shining Armor, Celestia has asked for your presences in the observatory." The room was simple, nothing to fancy, a standard soldiers room. Shining Armor liked to keep it simple, simply because he didn't want to be seen differently in the eyes of his troops. He wasn't going to live the high life because he was a higher rank than them. No, he was still one of them, if the only difference being that his word is what decided their fate. He took that role seriously.

The soldier stared waiting for the young lieutenant's response, not wanting to take his leave until he knew for certain that his job was finished. "Thank you, you may take your leave." Shining nodded in understanding, giving the messenger the answer he needed. He saluted Shining and made his way out of the room. Looking out his window, it looked like the sun was just setting, forming a feeling of unease in the pit of his stomach. If he was being called at this hour, than it was most likely not good news. To be on the safe side, he took the time to fully gear up, putting on his polished armor, and setting his sword and scabbard in its proper place alongside his belt. Double checking to make sure he was completely prepared, he exited his quarters and made the trek towards the meeting spot.

The walk itself wasn't taxing. Other on guard soldiers saluting him as he walked on past, some wanting to ask him a question or two, nothing out of the ordinary. The more difficult part was going up the stairs. It wasn't that it was hard more than the armor did weigh him down some, causing him to be slightly out of breath by the time he made it to the top. He was slightly surprised to hear a fair amount of commotion coming from behind the observatory doors. Nothing that seemed threatening, just abnormal. Shining Armor opened the door slowly, just to be on the safe side. What he seen was something he didn't expect. The normally normal observatory now looked like a make shift command center. There were several people walking about, one of which caught Shining Armor's eye the most. An older looking man, late 50's, and someone whom Shining has respected for some time.

General Bandolier, who was retiring at the end of week, was casually sipping something from a flask as he seemed to chat with Celestia. He wore the same kind of armor that Shining had, with a few more additions to show heightened rank within the service. He had short grey hair and a noticeable stubble with a color to match. His eye's though concealing great wisdom, had not yet lost the spark of wit and cunning that had risen him to greatness in the first place. He had worked his way up with hard work, while still holding a sense of compassion for all of his troops, and is the reason that Shining Armor himself tries to hold himself in the same standards amongst his group as well. Both he and Celestia had finally taken notice of Shining standing in the doorway, smiling at him and waving him towards them.

"Shining Armor, thank you for coming on such short notice." Celestia said politely.

"Of course, Princess." Shining turned towards General Bandolier, giving him a solid salute. "General!" Bandolier laughed lightly, looking towards Shining with a sense of merriment.

"At ease, lieutenant. Soon it will be just plain Bando anyhow." He said.

"I mean no disrespect, but I don't think I could address you as such." Shining responded, more relaxed than before, though still standing tall as he faced his superior.

"Well it is always a pleasure to see such a polite youth. Your sister is learning under the Princess here, correct?" Bandolier asked. Celestia took the reins of the conversation as she looked over at Bandolier for getting sidetracked. "Never mind that, save the story for a rainy day. We called you here because I am retiring as you know.

"Yes. You're a great man, and will be missed." Shining said, getting a chuckle from the general.

"I really do appreciate it." Bandolier said, blushing slightly in embarrassment. "Anyways, the main reason you have been invited here is because both me and Celestia see your potential, and would like to offer you a position of great importance." Shining stood there, awestruck. He never sees himself as anything more than ordinary, so to be receiving praise by such a great man stole every possible word Shining could say. "It will be difficult, and you will be put into dangerous situations." This snapped Shining out of his daze, curious at the dangerous aspect.

"There hasn't been any real conflicts for hundreds of years, though. Forgive me, but I don't understand." Shining said, gazing with curiosity.

"Exactly. What if I were to tell you that me, alongside a group of elites, are the reason for this?" Bandolier said, a glint of deviousness in his eyes. Shining Armor wasn't sure how to respond to this question. He remained silent, though ever attentive. Bandolier took this as his answer. "We are called T.E.S.T., Tactical Equestrian Specialist Team. We as a whole prevent the threats before they are known, in order to preserve the foundation of peace. Usually it includes small organizations, or very large single threats, such as renegade dragons, giant animated hillsides, and so on." Bandolier laughed lightly as he recalled some of his more positive memories.

"...Forgive me, but this is quite a lot to take in." Shining Armor said, trying to speak. He had never once heard of this group, not even as a rumor. "How long have you all been around?" Celestia smiled, looking towards Shining.

"Someone I care deeply for, over a thousand years ago, founded the organization as a means to control some of the more powerful beings out there." Celestia spoke casually, though thinking back on the past gave her a sad look in her eyes.

"So...I guess it all comes down to one question...why me?" Shining asked, his demeanor becoming serious.

"Even though you are young, you possess the same kind of spark inside, and I can tell." Bandolier spoke, holding his head high as he talked to Shining Armor. "You're strong under pressure, and have a willingness to protect that goes above and beyond most high ranking officers. To not say it should be you would be a waste of your talents, but in the end, this is your choice. If you say no, it will be no trouble to wipe your mind of these events, and you will live forever blissful of this group. Most likely, you will advance through the ranks, and for the most part, lead a boring life, though it will be safe. Joining us will put you into dangerous situations more than most people ever even think they will see. There will be no glory, no honor, just a secret duty to protect all of Equestria from those that wish to send our country into upheaval. The choice is yours. You may take some time to ..."

"I'll do it!" Shining said quickly, interrupting the general before he had a chance to finish.

"Shining Armor, are you sure you would not like a chance to think about it?" Celestia asked, concerned about the rashness of his decision.

"I appreciate the offer, but it is not necessary. If there is something I can do to keep my friends and family safe, I will do it!" Shining Armor said, saluting both the princess and the general.

Bandolier grinned, saluting Shining Armor back in response. "I am glad to see that I was correct in choosing you. Lieutenant Shining Armor, from this day forward, you are now a member of the Tactical Equestrian Specialist Team. You will continue your daily duties as told, but when called by the title of King, you are to report for your mission, dropping all other tasks." Shining Armor nodded, standing at attention and smiling. Waking up today, he would have never known that a huge honor would be given to him. He was beaming on the inside, but continued to stand stoically to the general. "Now...time to meet the others who are responsible for you, as you are responsible for them." An elite team, created in secret. Shining couldn't help but be thrilled and excited.

---------- ---------- ----------

"General, I don't mean to sound skeptical, but why are we going to a bar?" Shining asked, looking nervous and slightly perplexed.

"Well, to be honest, getting all of you together is a choir." The general said, sighing. "The only way I have been able to do it today was by offering to pay the bar tab." This did not bode well for Shining Armor. He was sure that they would be the epitome of bravery and self-sacrifice, but now he wasn't even sure if they were soldiers. He continued onwards, deciding to take this all at once like bad medicine. The general opened the door for Shining, letting him go in first. He looked around, trying to find anyone who resembled soldiers. He couldn't find anyone that fit the bill, just a few bar goers and a rowdy table of men, one of whom he actually recognized as the court jester. Not really caring about the social life of the staff, Shining waited for Bandolier to lead him to whoever he was meeting. Sure enough, the general did just that. Shining watched him, his face's expression of horror growing, as he got closer and closer to the group of rowdy drunks.

"Damnit Blackjack! For the last time, I am finished with you! I refuse to lose all of my money!" A younger looking man at the table shouted. He sat back in his chair, tilting his fedora over his face, refusing to look at the other man, an older man with dark black hair shooting out in several directions. The man, known as Blackjack, simply shrugged, and put the deck of cards he was holding down. He wore a black leather jacket, covering a dark blue shirt, and a pair of jeans that had several stains and tears on them. As the general approached he grinned, looking at him.

"What about you, Bando? Care to play a round?" Blackjack said, grinning slightly. Bando chuckled, shaking his head.

"Thank you for the offer, but I have learned my lesson years ago." Bandolier said, laughing merrily. "Blackjack, Catacomb..." he looked at the one wearing the hat."...Perry..." He looked over to the masked man as he sat there sipping a drink through a bendy straw. "I have a special guest I would like you to meet."

"No way, Gramps! You really are into dudes?" Catacomb said with a bit too much excitement in his voice. "Shove it, Jackie, your twenty bits is mine!"

"You really are an idiot, aren't you?" Blackjack said, chuckling. "That man isn't his date, he is our new leader...and apparently he also has the hots for Celestia's niece." Shining Armor froze, his face turning several shades of red.

"Wha....What are you talking about! Don't start rumors like that!" Shining Armor said, yelling at Blackjack.

"That wasn't very nice." Bandolier said, staring at Blackjack. Shining Armor nodded in agreement. "You shouldn't do that unless it's for a mission. Probing people’s minds is still illegal." Shining's mouth dropped in astonishment. He couldn't believe that his deepest secrets were so easily spied on, and even more so that the general seemed to care very little on it.

"I know, right?" The one named Catacomb said, agreeing with Bandolier. "Seriously, the inner mind as a sacred thing."

"Unless you want to find out a women's personal preferences...then it's fine." Perry said, chiming into the conversation.

"Exactly. Now you're learning!" Catacomb said, laughing lightly. Both Blackjack and Perry smacked their foreheads with a table, groaning.

"You men are lively tonight." Bandolier said, chuckling. "Shining, take a seat and relax." He pulled out a chair, gesturing Shining Armor to take a seat. Shining took the hint and sat down, looking over at the other men.

"So..." Shining started to speak nervously, looking over the group. "What do you all do for a living?" He asked, trying to initiate small talk. Perry, being the more sociable, spoke up first.

"Well, you most likely know about me. I work in the throne room as a jester, entertaining diplomats and nobles of the like...wait...your name is Shining...as in Shining Armor?" Shining nodded nervously, not really sure yet if he wanted to answer that. "Nice to finally meet you, Shining Armor. Your sister has told me much about you!"

"Wait...how do you know my sister?" Shining Armor said, a hint of anger in his voice.

"Well, she is the personal student of Celestia, and I work with Celestia...a tad bit hard to not know her. She has really gotten good with magic. I am....particularly familiar with her lightning spell..." Perry sighed, cringing slightly as he spoke.

"Well you're the dumb ass who likes to piss her off." Blackjack said casually as he looked around uninterested in the conversation."

"Well...I guess that is a relief." Shining Armor sighed, more relaxed now. He looked over to Blackjack. "And what about you, Blackjack was it?"

"Gambler..." he said not even bothering to look at Shining.

"Well then..."

"Oh don't mind Jackie here." Catacomb said as he grinned. "He is a real downer when it comes to dealing with people. I guess having the secrets of the mind put on display would do that to ya."

"I see...what about you?" Shining said, looking over Catacomb.

"Hmm...Con artist, former gang member, thief, badass, and master love maker!" Catacomb said proudly. Shining just stared, looking between him and the general.

"I guess some explanations are needed." Bandolier said, chuckling nervously.

"Yes they are..." Shining looked a bit angry, staring back at the group.

"The particulars of the group are not limited to castle personal, but those with the right skill sets for the task. In this case, we have taken three of the most dangerous criminals and put their talents to...better use. “Bandolier spoke quietly, not wanting prying ears to pick up on the more illegal bits. Shining wasn't sure what to say. All this time he was an honorable soldier working hard to impress, and these men just have to be deviants to get to where he is right now. He stopped to think for a second and looked over at Perry, who went back to sipping what looked like apple juice through a straw.

"Umm...what about you? How does a jester get involved into this?" Shining asked, curious.

Perry looked up, the straw still sticking out of his mask. "I kill people." he said casually, and then went back to sipping. Shining just stared, that being the last answer he would have expected. This went on for several minutes before Catacomb started to laugh.

"Hey, Psycho, I think ya broke him." Catacomb said jokingly, nudging Perry with his elbow. Bandolier laughed along with Catacomb, causing all of this to be taken into a new light for Shining Armor. Everything he thought he knew at this point was wrong, about the general, the task force, and equestrian politics in general.

"Don't worry, newbie." Blackjack said, looking over. "It gets easier to deal with in time."

"T...thanks...this is just..."

"A lot to take in?" Bandolier interrupted Shining, patting him on the back. "I figured as much, not many are cut out to work with these kind of people."

"I resent that!" Catacomb said, jumping out of his chair. "No one is cut out to work with me!" he chuckled and started to laugh at his own act of stupidity.

"Will you sit down, idiot?" Perry said casually, not bothering to look up. Catacomb sighed and sat back down, sulking. Perry's gaze shifted towards Shining. "You seem like a respectable person. Cause me no trouble and this will work out well." Shining smiled and nodded, but he easily picked up from the tone of his voice that this was a threat, saying don't get in my way.

Shining looked over and evaluated everyone to the best of his abilities, using his understanding of people in general to go about it. Catacomb was an idiot, Blackjack a rebel, and Perry straight out scared the hell out of him. This was going to be harder than he thought. His thoughts were quickly interrupted when above each of them, a scroll suddenly popped into existence. Shining looked at the scroll in front of him, curious. Everyone else quickly opened theirs, and started to get up, leaving money on the table. Shining Armor decided to check his. He opened it and started to read.

Come to the Observatory ASAP. Grade S emergency.

White Queen

Shining wasn't even a day into it and there was already something disastrous occurring. He had to quickly get up and follow as well. As he left, he noticed that everyone was already gone. "Wow...so fast..." Shining decided to try a teleport spell, though he was never very good at them, if only to not be shown up on his first day.

"Ever flowing, moments and spaces collide, becoming one and another simultaneously. Vanishing, guided by the turn of the clock and the force of the land." Shining recited the incantation calmly, focusing on where he needed to be. He also focused a few centimeters upwards, as Twilight suggested when she mastered the spell. With a loud pop, he had vanished. Watching the fabric of space and time bend together to connect locations easily made any novice teleporter nauseous, so it was no surprise that he entered the observatory and started to vomit all over the floor. Celestia and Blackjack, who were already there, watched with worry, though the worry between the two was for completely different reasons.

"Shining Armor, are you ok?" Celestia asked, worried. He took a few breaths and nodded.

"Yes...just...not used to it, that's all. I am getting better at least." Shining said happily.

"I do hope you're not going to be like this all the time." Blackjack said, showing no concern for the lieutenant. Shining took a few more deep breaths before standing up straight.

"I will be fine." Shining said calmly, looking at Celestia and Blackjack. Celestia smiled and nodded and watched the balcony, waiting. Sure enough, Perry, Catacomb, and Bandolier jumped into the window, all of them but Perry breathing heavily.

"I guess that makes fifty two ties to this date." Perry said, casually looking at Catacomb.

"You cheated, as always. You know I could beat you in a race any day!" Catacomb said proudly.

"Children that is enough." Celestia said sternly. Shining was a bit surprised, having never heard her talk like that before in his life. "We have a serious problem." She pulled down a map of Equestria. She pointed to a not so sunny looking spot near the southern borders of the land. "As you know, we have a special prison made to hold in the darker creatures that wish to cause us harm. Cerberus, a special guard dog that I have trained myself was in charge of watching the gates, keeping people out and its residence inside. An enchantment that I had placed on Cerberus activated, signaling that he has gone unconscious. A scout tells me that he was able to wake him, but not before confirming a resident has escaped, and unfortunately, this particular individual is someone who can't be handled by normal means." Celestia finished her explanation, and looked over towards the group as they listened intently. "Perry will track the target with Catacomb being his backup. Bandolier and Blackjack will provide rear support. Shining..." He slightly jumped as his name was being called. "...as I recall, you have an affinity with barrier magic. Your job will be to protect any possible civilians if in a crowded area, and your team if you are not." Shining nodded.

"Celestia..." Bandolier spoke, looking over at her. "If I may ask, what escaped?"

Celestia sighed and look at him, a look of fear in her eye. "He goes by the name of Abbadon, a great demon of destructive tendencies that my parents were barely able to seal away. Unfortunately, the seal must have finally given and he managed to escape. He may have taken a human form so be wary. He has mastery in destructive fire magic and will not hesitate to take lives. Finally, he does not even think. He is a creature, in the end, that knows of only taking out all in his path. Is there any questions?"

"Hence why the masked maniac here is doing the tracking." Catacomb said, looking over at Perry.

"Correct. Perry will no doubt be able to find him using his...unique talents." Celestia paused slightly, trying to ignore the odd chuckle from Perry himself. "Permission for extreme methods is granted for emergency use only. Time is of the essence, so I will ask you all to leave immediately. We have transport arranged at the front gate. Good luck, and please be safe everyone." With that Celestia walked out, leaving the team where they were. Bandolier walked up to Shining Armor and frowned slightly.

"I apologize for this. Had I suspected that we would be facing such a danger today, I would have waited until another to include you." Bandolier frowned slightly, but was taken aback when he noticed Shining Armor smiling. "Is everything alright?" he asked, intrigued by his reaction.

"You're asking me if everything is alright...knowing we are facing something of monstrous proportions." This statement only helped to further the confusion for Bandolier. "Of course I am. I joined the guard to make a difference, and until now, I was lucky to face a fly. Now I actually get to use my talents which until now I almost believed would go to waste. General Bandolier, let's get going. No sense being late my first day on the job." Shining smiled, and made a run towards the balcony of the observatory and jumped straight off. Bandolier couldn't help but grin at the response.

---------- ---------- ----------

The carriage strolled through the darkness of the green countryside, everyone remaining silent throughout most of the ride in order to get mentally prepared. An S class assignment was nothing to joke about, so even the goofy Catacomb took this seriously, especially since the task at hand given to all of them.

"Everyone understand the task at hand?" Bandolier asked, looking around at the men inside. Their silent stares gave him all the answers they needed. "Shining, how are you holding up?" he asked, looking over at Shining.

"Yes...it is hard to explain, but this feels...right." Shining Armor said, looking at him with a certain spark in his eyes. Bandolier grinned, and could feel Shining's determination.

"We are close..." Perry said, breaking his silence. Bandolier quickly ordered the driver to stop, causing the cart to quickly halt its movement. "Cata, let's go..." Perry said, his voice shaky and slightly off pitch. Catacomb took out a pair of simple looking rune guns, each designed with only one chamber.

"You're not going to wig out on me, are ya?" Catacomb asked, slightly nervous.

"Can't say, really. I have never felt so eager...how often do you get to dance with a devil?" Perry responded, chuckling sinisterly.

"Whatever. You snap, though, and I am putting you down." Catacomb said, grinning now. Both let out a quick laugh before leaving the carriage. Bandolier pulled out a box from under his seat, and opened it, pulling out a large crossbow, with an odd attachment where the bolts were supposed to go. Shining stared at the weapon intently, having never seen anything like it before.

"Blackjack, prepare the mental link. Shining, you're going to feel something quite unpleasant, so bear with it, alright?" Bandolier said as he headed out the door. Shining Armor was about to question it, but was rendered silent by a flood of sensations hitting him all at once. He could feel the grass, even though he was still in the cart. He felt like he was seeing the quickly passing countryside, while still staring at the static wall of the cart, and Bandolier's casual walking on the outside of the ride. He had tried his best to resist vomiting, and after a minute, finally found himself adjusted to all the bizarre feeling.

"Wh...What just happened?" Shining asked Blackjack, who proceeded to stand up and walk out, following Bandolier.

"I have set up a mental link between all of us." Shining heard Blackjack speaking as if he was in his head. "Hurry up, or you're going to be left behind." Shining quickly got out, making sure his sword was properly attacked to his belt. He then proceeded into the night, following behind the now sprinting Bandolier and Blackjack.

"How are ya fairing rookie?" Shining could hear Catacomb now, even though he was farther away.

"Umm testing, one two... Shining said, wondering how the mental link itself actually worked, and if he just had to think of what he wanted to say. He could swear he heard Catacomb laughing in his mind.

"Yup, about right. Perry seems like he is getting close, as he has pretty much stopped thinking in general." Could they change it to focus their thoughts into more than one person, could everyone hear everyone's thoughts at this point? So many questions about this strange ability and Shining couldn't even begin to think where to start.

"Don't think, just feel." This message was from General Bandolier, even though he was several seconds ahead of him, it was still as if he was talking right into his ear.

"Easier said than done." Shining responded mentally. Still, he figured it was worth trying, so he put in the effort to shut his mind down. It was for a brief second, but everything he was seeing and feeling had finally become clear, though his excitement of doing it caused his clear mind to waiver yet again.

"Don't worry, rookie, you will get it." Bandolier said, feeling his effort.

"Thank you. I have a question, though. What is wrong with Perry? When I focus on talking to all of you, it is easy, but with him, it is like hitting a brick wall." Shining asked as they continued their speedy trek through the fields. Shining noticed from Catacomb's perspective dark clouds rising into the sky.

"We got to hurry, but to answer your question, Perry does that to protect us." The voice was from Blackjack this time, and he felt nervous when he said this, as Shining couldn't help to shiver in a twinge of fear himself. Shining tried to focus his sense of sight on Perry, but it was still like he was preventing him from even coming close. He switched back to Catacomb, betting a glimpse of the situation itself. What he saw he couldn't even comprehend, despite all of the other happenings going on this night.

The land was being scorched as man seemingly oblivious to the fiery trail behind him walked slowly. He had on a dark robe, concealing most of his body and crimson red hair that almost flickered like a wildfire. Finally, his gaze, almost seemed nonexistent. He was looking, just not functioning on the inside. Truly the most dangerous kind of opponent, as he really did seem to only operate on the baser instinct to destroy. As Catacomb and Perry got closer, Catacomb could see Perry dash straight for the man without a second thought. Even scarier, was that through Catacomb's sense of hearing, Shining could have sworn that Perry was giggling madly.

"Yup, we lost him. Should I just stay back and provide cover fire?" Catacomb messaged the rest of the group.

"Yes, for now. Hold Abbadon at bay until we get here, and please don't destroy too much land." Bandoliers orders were followed by the sight of a huge crater forming where Perry met the wicked looking man.

General, can we be sure it is really Abbadon?" Shining asked, concerned there was a possibility it might have been a random coincidence.

"Trust me, in time you will learn to go with it. I am still getting over the fact that Catacomb is a changeling." Bandolier laughed in his head, though Shining was more than surprised.

WHAT?! Shining couldn't believe what he was hearing. "Aren't changelings a threat to Equestria?!"

"Will you focus on the battle? Save the small talk for later." Blackjack scoffed at the two men, deciding to run ahead to get a better view of the battle. Bandolier and Shining also sped up their efforts, not wanting to be left behind.

Finally able to witness the carnage with his own eyes, Shining stood there in fear and awe at the battle taking place. The field was littered with fire, craters, busted trees and dark purple energy. Catacomb was firing shells from his guns, trying to strike Abbadon with large icicles that seemed to form as he fired. Rune guns were still a new technology, so seeing one in use was a first for him. Perry on the other hand. Was fighting within the field, attacking in a way that combined the grace of and acrobat with the motions of an over shook plate of gelatin. When he said dance, it almost looks like he meant it. Watching the icicles continue to fire, it looked almost like Catacomb was missing on purpose, but the moment they touched the field, it seemed they made a beeline down towards Abbadon. All of these actions, however, seemed to be useless. Abbadon jumped and dodged all the attacks, looking like he wasn't even trying.

"General, what should we do?" Shining asked mentally. His question was answered with action though. Bandolier took out his crossbow and a large handful of bolts, and dropped the bolts into the odd setup on top of the bow. Taking aim high, he pulled the trigger. Unexpectedly, the bow seemed to fire the bolts in succession. They flew right towards Abbadon and Perry, causing both to jump out of the way as the bolts almost hit both of them.

"We fight!" Bandolier finally responded, grinning a bit madly himself. He took another handful of bolts and loaded them into the crossbow, firing another volley. Shining nodded, and began to charge down, pulling his sword.

"Shield!" Shining armor shouted, focusing on Perry. A simple but sturdy looking knight’s shield made of light formed above Perry as the rain of arrows made their way towards him and Abbadon. Shining, now understanding the dark purple field around Perry, had to use extra effort to hold it in place. It was a field designed to increase the effect that gravity had on all mass inside, most likely what caused the land to crater. "He is fighting in there?!" Shining shouted as he ran towards Catacomb.

"Yup!" Catacomb responded as he loaded a new shell into the gun. "These things are so damn slow. I can't wait to get one of the quicker models." Shining stopped next to Catacomb and watched the volley finally strike. He mentally pushed himself to withstand the force of heightened gravity arrows striking his barrier. Perry stood there calmly, chanting as Abbadon had to jump back again from the fight to avoid them.

The large field disappeared, causing the pressure of holding the shield to release. Catacomb fired two more icicles at Abbadon, causing him to dodge one, and hold his hand out, flames engulfing the other, turning it into steam before it even had a chance to reach him. Hidden within the veil of steam, it was unsure what that attack did to onlookers. Abbadon, however, used the steam cover for a surprise attack, charging Perry quickly. Shining was about to use a barrier, but a mental command from Bandolier told him to halt, and so he watched as Abbadon quickly approached, his fist igniting in a destructive fireball. In the moment where impacted was about to occur, he suddenly stopped, dropping to the ground violently, twitching in agony. Perry himself was laughing loudly, seemingly putting more pressure as the crater that formed around Abbadon deepened. The cried that thing made were otherworldly, almost like the hissing of fire as it was being extinguished. Though it looked defeated, Perry continued to add pressure to it, causing more screams to be released. Shining watched in terror as the simple masked man had turned into the lunatic he heard the others joke about.

"PERRY!" Shining yelled out, not wanting to keep watching such a brutal display. Shining's yelling had seemed to snap Perry out of whatever trance he was in, letting up from the spell and looking down into the hole. Staring for a few seconds, it looked as if it was over. Bandolier's eyes widened, as he quickly reloaded and fired, aiming right at Perry. Instinctively, he jumped out of the way, narrowly avoiding a massive eruption of flames from within the area. Shining gasped, as the flames retracted back, forming a large body of flames. They slowly changed their look, forming what looked like dark red skin, covered in blisters. The arms formed into massive claws, each nail tip a burning flame of its own. The legs did the same, forming large claw like feet that looked capable of crushing anything underneath them. A tail formed as well, long and thick like a dragons tail, a spike on the end made it look like just another tool for killing at this monstrosity’s disposal. The flames around its head finally took shape, a blistered skull with horns, teeth replaced with fangs and eye sockets replaced with blazing spheres of hellfire, it's gaze burning as deeply as its body. Shining had never seen anything like this, terror overwhelming him at the towering monstrosity. It stood at a good two stories, with a reach that would outduel any spear. He couldn't think or move, and couldn't contemplate why the others were able to remain stoic in front of the new Abbadon.

"Shining..." Bandolier mentally spoke, not removing his eyes from the sight of the monster as it was coming to grips with its new form. "...are you going to be able to do your job?"

"I can't stop shaking, I have never felt anything like this...I have never been more terrified in my life..." Shining Armor responded, looking over the battlefield.

"Good. Remember why we are here. Do you want others to experience that fear, or would you rather it end here?"

"I never want anyone in this country to experience this terror..." Shining took deep breaths, putting all of his effort into calming his nerves.

Abbadon, finally fully functional, roared loudly, flames spewing from its mouth and eyes. Everyone stood strong at this point, including Shining, who resolved to push his fear aside for the greater good.

"Are you all ready to give your lives to save the world yet again?" Bandolier asked mentally. Shining was about to answer but was interrupted by everyone else.

"Hell no!" Shining heard everyone say collectively. He paused, somewhat nervous. "We die when we are damn good and ready, until then, we shall continue to live for the fight!" The collective mantra of the group, though odd, was inspiring. Shining armor repeated it when Bandolier asked the question a second time, feeling himself getting fired up from all of the confidence in the group. They had no desire to quit, and they seemed to almost enjoy being at death's door. They were crazy lunatics, and Shining almost felt as if he really did belong.

The moment had come and gone, and both sides of this conflict were ready. Abbadon charged at Perry, who proceeded to cast a spell. Shining watched as Perry's muscles bulged out slightly, finally recognizing the spell as Augment. Shining wasted no time, and began casting a spell of his own.

"Guardians of the land, bind me to thy subjects, and assist me in easing the suffering of the damned." Shining focused on Perry, who was shocked to discover that even under the effects of the spell, the mana backlash effects were not kicking in. "Pain Steal..." Shining Armor said, grunting as he struggled to maintain his stance. He fully understood the effects that Augment had on someone, and though his spell prevented the effects from doing serious damage to Perry, Shining would be under the constant pain and tear that normally Perry would have received. Bandolier was both shocked and surprised by how quickly Shining was willing to do something so devastating to himself, but figured that the sooner the fight ended, the better of they all would be.

Perry grinned. He knew the risks of using that spell, but never had he had the chance to enjoy it instead. Abbadon threw a large punch his way. Even with its size and power, Perry effortlessly kicked the punch away, his other foot digging into the ground from the sheer force of the impact. He continued to strike, running up the arm, his boots almost looking like they were melting away, to strike at the head with a strong punch, before jumping off. Shining could feel the burning in his feet and see the scorched skin on his hand from the attack the Perry was using, but remained strong himself, ignoring all of the different pain so he could continue to be useful and support his allies in the best way possible. Abbadon stumbled backwards, growling in pain. Perry used the subtle distraction to move in close, striking the demon with a hard kick to the chest, knocking it to the ground. Catacomb began running towards the fight at a speed Shining couldn't even visually keep up with. Taking a leap, Catacomb jumped, almost looking like he was hovering over the downed demon, pointing the pistols downwards.

"Terracide!" He pulled both triggers, causing the spell to quickly activate, collecting every lose small stone in the area, and firing them like high powered hammers in rapid succession. Due to the battle raging, his ammo supply seemed endless, the rapid blasts practically holding him in his place above the demon as it was being assaulted. The guns, glowing red from the release of magical energy, began to look as if it was singing Catacomb, but he knew as long as his finger remained on the trigger, the spell would continue. The cloud of dust raged onwards as Perry released his Augment, much to the sore Shining's relief, and began casting a new spell.

"Hold down that which soars. Bind down to the land in which we walk. Give way to all that resides, granting a swift entrance. Hide away the light, and pull darkness in, where angels dare not fly!" He focused, and laughed an evil laugh as he aimed for the space between Catacomb's volley and the demon. "Gravity Crush!" The rock's which shot out at quick speeds to begin with, were now not even visible. The force that Perry must have been applying was astronomical, only further encouraging Catacomb's desire to continue his assault despite the pain. Everyone was in perfect sync, with all of their actions. Possibly the effect of the mental link that Blackjack established. Everyone, terrifying on their own, that unbelievable speed that Catacomb possessed. Blackjack's natural gift with mind magic, and Perry's unearthly bloodlust, all combined made what should have taken a small army to conquer that much more simpler.

The attack finally halted, the group letting the dust settle down. The fight, hopefully over, could now only be decided by waiting and hoping. Catacomb quickly discarded the guns, flailing around to try and ease the pain in his hands. Perry took a few steps back, sighing unhappily. It was hard to tell, but it seemed like Perry was almost depressed that it was all over. Blackjack released the mental link, causing everyone's shared senses to finally become private. Bandolier, standing at his position, just nodded in approval at the task.

The dust finally settled, and the sight was not pretty. The demon Abbadon could be seen as no more than a pile of disfigured flesh covered in melted rocks. The body was ripped to shreds from the assault, leaking a greenish brown liquid, possibly what counted as blood, from the hundreds of holes in it. Overall, the body was motionless, besides a subtle glowing red from the dying flame that was its body. The fight was over.

Shining was busy healing Catacomb's burnt hands, though the guns could not be saved. The pure amount of heat partially melted away important runes, causing their effects to null. Blackjack, though seeming doing nothing during the battle, was the most out of breath. Shining never figured what he did was easy, though. Transmitting that much data between people can't be done without severe mental and physical stress. Bandolier looked over the group, especially nodding in approval at the lieutenant's spirit and quick decision making skills. He still had a way's to go, but no doubt that T.E.S.T. was in capable hands.

An explosion occurred from where the demon's body laid, startling everyone as their gaze turned towards the shallow grave. The demon's body disappeared with a flash sending debris flying every which way quickly. A large mass of flaming rock was heading quickly for Blackjack, almost in slow motion for the mind mage. He was too exhausted from the battle to do anything, and just stood there helplessly, his life flashing before his eyes. The globs heat could be felt as it was about to impact. Blackjack closed his eyes, accepting his fate, and simply waited. He waited...and continued to wait, still only feeling the heat from the melted rock. He slowly opened one eye, speechless as he had seen a large wall of light, splattered with melted rock, standing tall and strong in front of him. He looked over towards the other members, whose looks were simply smiles, and a chuckle from Catacomb. Shining's hand glowed the same color as the wall, giving Blackjack his own cocky smile.

"Did I say you could die?" Bandolier grinned himself. The new leader of T.E.S.T. was born.

---------- ---------- ----------

T.E.S.T. File field report summery. Case File #153762

The Demon Abbadon was removed from the world before any serious damage could be caused. Workers are on route to replant the lost trees and restore the land back to its previous beauty.

Member Status Check.

Pierrot

Status: Normal

Displayed usual tendencies during mission. Is capable of continuing work immediately.

Ace

Status: Injured

Self-inflicted harm from overused rune gun will keep Ace off duty for one week. Afterwards, with doctor’s permission he is cleared to return to work.

Jack

Status: Severe Mental Trauma

Desired time off after near death experience. Approved time off will last for up to one year. Destination is the Equestrian Mountain Monastery. Unknown at this time if Jack will return. Queen recommends holding his place until otherwise noted.

King (former)

Status: Retired

Final field mission, subject took no damage, physical or mental. Is currently on route to retirement destination, details of his location are to remain confidential.

King

Status: Injured

Suffering from mana backlash, a side effect of use of a forbidden spell, as well as several burns and exhaustion. Is expected to make a full recovery and will be released in two weeks’ time with doctors’ orders to return to work.

Celestia closed up the scroll and sealed it. She used her scroll sending spell to place it into the archives from her location, before leaning back in her chair. She was glad the mess was finally over, and everything turned out alright, with the exception of poor Blackjack. He never did have it easy, and his experience must have caused some doubts to form. She was happy to have given him the chance to recover, and hoped he would grow from his experience instead of letting it control him. Staring up into the moon, gazing at the image of her sister, she knew the time was almost at hand, and needed to get ready. With most members of T.E.S.T. out of commission, she needed another way of dealing with the return of Nightmare Moon. She figured that Twilight Sparkle was now ready to take her rightful place as an Element Bearer, and had a feeling that all of this was meant to be. The release of Abbadon, though disastrous, may have led to something even greater. Celestia just had to have faith in her student’s ability.

Still, she was troubled. Abbadon was strong, but lacked the intelligence to make an escape on his own.