• Published 18th Apr 2013
  • 2,271 Views, 456 Comments

Ponywatching - ThunderTempest



Stories from TMP prompts

  • ...
4
 456
 2,271

PreviousChapters Next
Legacy Prompt #8: Game Night

Every Friday night, there was a secret gathering of ponies. This group did not broadcast their intent or their activity widely, and membership was strictly invite-only. Where they gathered often varied, though it was usually at one of the member’s homes. Cloaks often covered their bodies, and if anypony took a casual look, they might be mistaken for a small cult. However, as is often the case, the truth is stranger than whatever fiction that anypony could imagine.

“As you travel,” said Doctor Whooves as the ponies sat around a table in one of Rarity’s workrooms, “You come across a group of five Diamond Dogs, digging for gems. A cart full of gems is already loaded up behind them, and they do not have appeared to noticed the group yet.” The other ponies sitting around the table all rustled through the sheafs of parchment laying on the table. Doctor Whooves consulted his own piece of parchment.

“Right, Ditzy,” he said, “you had the highest initiative roll, so you get to act first.”

“Okay,” said Ditzy Doo, “I want to try and steal the cart of gems.”

“Roll for it,” said Doctor Whooves, pushing a small, twenty sided plastic ball towards Ditzy, who picked it up in her teeth and then gently tossed it onto the table. It rolled to a stop just in front of Rarity.

“Twenty,” said Rarity, and Doctor Whooves glanced back down at his sheets for a moment.

“Ditzy steals the entire cart of gems without the Diamond dogs noticing. Rarity, you’re next.”

“Right. I will cast Fireball at the Diamond Dogs,” said Rarity, picking up the twenty-sided die with her magic and rolling it along the table. “Twelve” she said, once the die had come to a stop.

“Okay, so applying the +4 modifier, that comes to a score of 16, so you successfully cast. Roll for damage.” Rarity did so, coming up with a ten, and once all effects and items had been taken into account, Doctor whooves spoke again.

“You damage three of the Dogs, reducing them to half health, but because they are now crying in pain, you have drawn the attention of the entire group, so no unaware bonuses anymore. Bon Bon, you’re up.”

“Right,” said Bon Bon, “I charge the group, drawing my sword in the process.”

“Okay, Drawing a weapon while moving...you have to roll,” said Doctor Whooves, waiting for Bon Bon to roll the die. “Okay, so you successfully draw your sword, the Sword of Eternal Doom, which grants you an extra D6 for every enemy you’re engaging. Bon Bon, how many are...”

Before Whooves could finish his sentence, Bon Bon interrupted. “All of them.”

“Of course,” muttered Whooves, “right, roll six dice for damage.” There was another clatter of dice rolling on the table, and then Whooves did some calculations and spoke. “Bon Bon kills two of the damaged Dogs and gives the rest minor wounds. Cloud Chaser, it’s your turn.”

As Cloudchaser narrated her actions, so continued Game Night at Rarity’s house, as the five ponies went on adventures from the relative safety of Ponyville.

Author's Note:

Written for Legacy prompt #8, over on the TMP group forums.
The Prompt: Ponies playing games

I have never played anything like D&D, so forgive any inaccuracies.

PreviousChapters Next