• Published 14th Apr 2013
  • 376 Views, 5 Comments

A suspicious sidekick - ResearcherBrony



A short fic for all the Owlowiscious fans.

  • ...
 5
 376

Feathery thief

-Chapter 2-

It had been a few days now since Owlowiscious had flown out of the library in a state of panic and Twilight was seriously starting to become concerned for the owl's safety. She tried aimlessly piecing together what could have cause this strange behaviour. Her first assumption was that it was her own fault for saying something that may have offended or even hurt her assistants feelings. The second assumpsion, which was the one she was trying to deny, was the impending fact that it may have been Owlowiscious who ripped apart her notes.

"But why would he go and do something like that?" She though to herself as she made her way to Sugarcube Corner, when suddently, her trail of thought was cut short when she bumped into Cheerilee.

"Oh, I'm sorry," Twilight said apologeticly, realising her mistake.

"He he, It's alright." Cheerilee said with her usual happy and optimistic voice."Are feeling alright? You seemed a bit spaced out by the looks of things."

"Well, I haven't been able to get much sleep. Owlowiscious has been missing for a few days and realy worried about him. You wouldn't have happened to see him by any chance would you?"

"As a matter a fact, I saw him perched on one of the fence posts surrounding the playground at reces-" But before before she could show the mare where she specifical saw Owlowiscious, Twilight was already galloping at full speed towards the schoolhouse.

Twilight arrived at schoolhouse shortly after, searching rapidly around the playground trying to find any trace of Owlowiscious' previous presence with no luck at all. If the owl was really here before, he was now long gone. Twilight heard the sound of hooves behind her as she turned around to see Cheerilee galloping towards her.

"Were...haaa...you able to...hooo...find him...haaa?" Cheerilee panted as she tried to catch her breath.

"No, he doesn't seem to be here- ,hey. Why did you gallop here anyway?"

"I was trying to tell you...haaa...that he also came into the classroom...hooo...after class while I was correcting some tests. After I finished that, I was feeling tired and decided to go home, but then I noticed that Owlowiscious did want to move from his spot, so I decided to open one of the windows wide enough for him to leave on his own time."

"Uh oh..." Twilight said as she made her way to the schoolhouse. As she arrived in the class room, she let out a slight gasp and then said flatly to Cheerilee who was troting behind her,"Ya, just what I assumed"

"What is it- hey! Where did all the pencils go?"

"Well, I probably should have to told you this first off. I woke up one morning to discover that my notes that I had pieced toghether had their bindings removed," Twilight informed Cheerilee, as she tried to keep her explanation as brief as possible, "so after Owlowiscious came in through the top floor window and sat down with me and Spike, I noticed a little piece of something caught in one of his talons. After he realised that I had noticed it, he flew right back out the window."

"So you think that it may have been him who stole your bindings, and my pencils?"

"I pretty sure. I never really wanted to consider that it was him doing it, but I guess now this gives a little more proof."

"Well, I've been a teacher for a long time now and I don't think I've ever taught my class anything about owls steal from others. Did you maybe consider that it just might be a phase in his life?"

"Ya. Spike already suggested that. I mean, I've read a lot of books about owls, but I've never heard of this specific behavior. I should probably go see Fluttershy, she knows alot about animals, maybe she can tell me why Owlowiscious is acting the way he is." Twilight looked back to Cheerilee who seem to keep the same shocked expression from when she walked into the class room to the time Twilight had finished her sentence. "Anyway, thank you for trying to help me find him." She said before exiting the room.

"You're quite welcome Twilight. Oh, and one more thing."

"Yes?" Twilight asked.

"If you do happen to find him, do you think you can get him to give my pencils back. It's not like they grow on tre- you know what, forget that last part." Cheerilee said jokefully with a giggle, trying to improve Twilights mood as much as she could.

Twilight gave a small giggle and was out the door.

~~~

Twilight's visit to the schoolhouse gave her a little hope, but these hopes could still not replace the owl that she'd come to know and love.

"First my bindings, now Cheerilee's pencils, what's next?"

"Aaaah! Unhand it you brute!" A fair but angered voice called out from Carousel Boutique. Twilight rushed to the decorated building as fast as she could. As she arrived the first thing she noticed was the mess that occupied the usualy clean space, but when she looked across the room, she saw a white coated mare using her magic to regain possesion of a lovely piece of fabric from none other then Owlowiscious himself.

"Owlowiscious, what are doing!?"Twilight said franticaly." Why are you stealing from everypony? If I did something to make you do this I'm sorry!" Twilight said as she started to use her magic to aid Rarity in reobtaining the now mildly ripped piece of fabric. As the two mares dragged Owlowiscious in with certain ease, the owl began to flap his wings furiously, and just as the Rarity was about to regain her now ripped fabric, the flying thief did something that Twilight would have never anticipated. He released one claw off the fabric, drew his claw back, and swipped both mares. The sudden strike made Twlight andRarity fall backwards in fear as they losed hold of one of Rarity's prized fabrics, and Owlowiscious flew out the front door into the late afternoon.

"Good heavens! What was that all about? Twilight, would you care to explain why he wa-, Twilight, are you alright dear?"

Twilight was sitting down, her left hoof covering her cheek that had a bit of blood on it, which had been hit by Owlowiscious moments earlier. Rarity moved closer to Twilight, thinking of words that could maybe reassure her when suddently, a tear fell from her bang covered face.

"Twilight! Are you hurt? Here, let me get a bandage for your cut." Rarity said with more concern in her voice.

"Rarity...I'm fine..."

"But darling. Your hurt. Please I insi-"

"Rarity please. I think... I think I need to be alone right now..."

"If its about the ribbon, I can replace it."

"It's not that... I just... just want to be left alone." Twilight said in a whisper as she headed out the door into the now rainy outside.

~~~

Spike was reorganizing some of the books in the library when he heard the door open.

"Hey Twi, welcome back! Theres some leftover celery soup if you're hun-, Twilight... you ok?"

The purple unicorn was soaked from head to toe. Water seemed to drip endlessly from her mane and her face, but part of the water was not rainwater... it was tears...

Author's Note:

Hope you're enjoying the story so far! I've been kind of busy with school, but I'm trying to get the chapters out A.S.A.P.