• Published 13th Apr 2013
  • 1,095 Views, 22 Comments

The Butterfly and The Beast - Lobisomen616



A story of Queen Chrysalis and her journey of atonement with a creature strange even by Equestrian standards.

  • ...
2
 22
 1,095

Chapter Four - The Man Who Would Be Jack

Completely out of nowhere, Discord began to laugh like he had just heard the funniest joke he had heard in years.
"Well that was definitely interesting! The truth of the matter is I wasn't trying to kill you but from the look of things I couldn't, even if I wanted to! And I'm Discord: The Lord of Chaos for crying out loud! I have to thank you for showing me something so entertaining, Celestia. And as for you, my unusual friend, I'm glad to have met you. You've truly given me quite a bit of amusement today."
"Aside from the pain of having a sword plunged into my chest, I think I could say the same to you."
"I would apologize for that but then I'd have to start apologizing to everyone. Appearances and all. You understand right?"
"Of course. When Celestia spoke of you the image of a heartless tormentor popped into my mind but know that I've actually gotten a chance to know you a bit I can already tell quite a bit about you."
"Really? Like what?"
"Well for one thing it's obvious that you aren't really evil. You may not care what happens to others, I mean you did just run a sword through my chest just to see what would happen, but you mean them no real harm. The reality of the matter is that your just trying to have fun and stave off your own boredom."
Discord burst out laughing again. I guess I hit the nail on head.
"I've been around for centuries and you're the first one to ever suggest that, and you just met me! Keep your eye on this one Celestia; you might learn something!"
"No kidding. That reminds me; What should we call you?"

"Excuse me, sir?"
"Hmm?"
A young pegasus girl had walked up to me and I was so wrapped up in my little trip down memory lane I hadn't noticed her until just now.
"I'm sorry to bother you sir, but your name wouldn't happen to be 'Jack-of-All-Trades' would it?"
"It is, actually. Why do you ask? Do you need something?"
"I have a letter for you Mr. Jack. Straight from Celestia herself."
"Celestia? It's been ages since I've heard from her. Thank you very much for bringing this to me."
"No problem Mr. Jack, I'm just doing my job. Have a pleasant day now."
"Same to you, my dear."
And with that the little messenger girl took off with a bag still full of letters. Such a sweet girl. I should have asked her for her name. Her eyes did seem rather unusual though, so I guess I won't have too much trouble narrowing down who she is. Now what is this letter all about, I wonder?

"Dearest Jack,
I apologize for not writing you in so long as I've been busy recently and haven't had much time to do so. The former leader of the changelings, Queen Chrysalis, has given herself up in for the oppurtunity to open negotiations. I don't wish to bore you with the details but know that we have already reached an agreement. The terms of this agreement promise that in exchange for the protection and well-being of her people she will submit to whatever punishment I deem neccesary. The punishment I have chosen is to send her into exile until such time as I believe she has atoned for her crimes as well as to determine whether or not she can be trusted. So I have chosen to have her spend her exile with you because you are the only person who I could trust to keep an eye on her as well as the only person who would judge her fairly. I apologize for the inconvenience, especially after being out of contact for so long, but I feel this course of action is for the best. Please come to see us at the castle as soon as you are able.

Sincerely,

Celestia

P.S. Luna and Cadence say hi."

Still can't get a thing done without me, eh Tia? Well, I guess I should quit talking to myself and go and see her like she as-
Wait a second...
She sent a messenger this far out just to tell me that she wanted me to babysit someone for a while? That's not like her at all. She wouldn't bother me with something like this if she thought it was a trivial matter, but if it was that important she would have come and seen me herself instead of sending a messenger. Even if she was busy she could simply teleport here and tell me what she wanted and be back at the castle in a few minutes. What could be so important that she couldn't afford to be away from the castle for only a few minutes?
This could be very interesting.

Author's Note:

Last chapter was a bit long so this chapter being a bit on the shorter side should balance it out. Also I apologize for the format.