• Published 10th Apr 2013
  • 1,869 Views, 174 Comments

Libera Mé - EZTP



Set just after the events of season 3, Twilight Sparkle and her friends must rise to a challenging beast the likes of which will test her not only as an alicorn, but as the Princess of Friendship.

  • ...
4
 174
 1,869

04 Libera Me

04

Fluttershy darted to the centre of the cell, an abrupt realisation stopping her mere hooves away from the monster. It was startled, trying to see out the door as the wooden frame slammed behind her.

“Fluttershy...”

“Please...” she whispered though a dry mouth not knowing how to begin. Only the situation presently behind forced her to edge on, “The queen, monsters, darklings, help us please!”

The confusion apparent on its face. “Please. Monsters are attacking! We cannot beat them back. You are immune to magic, you can help us.” She turned around as Princess Luna laughed to the sound of crashing. “A lot has happened but now we are all in danger!” she cried, “Help my friends please!” She knew it would laugh at her, mock her and hurt her again, only forcing to question why this was even considered. If her friends were not the ones who were half baked. While the tears welled up she forced to look at it pleadingly, imagining them pinned down and helpless against the golems.

“Fluttershy...” it sighed, “It makes no difference who imprisons me, my situation does not change.”

Fluttershy thought hard and hesitated to give the creature what it wanted, she had no authority or ability to grant it. She understood she would have to let the creature out, but had hoped it would surrender afterwards and quietly return to the cell redeemed in their eyes. The dreams os a filly. She took a deep breath, swallowing her resentment at the monsters grin, “Alright.”

“Excuse me?”

“You will be free to leave if you help us.”

The sounds of combat had ceased behind the door and a loud thud emanated from it. The princess and her guards did not sound, and the hollow eyes staring through the top of the door at her did nothing to ease the fear, they were trying to break in.

“You must be more specific.”

“Save my friends and you can go wherever you want!” she yelled with anger at this feigned ignorance. A louder thud sounded and the door splintered. The creature raised its head and looked at her. She felt no chills now, it no longer frightened her. There were worse things to fear now, things right behind.

“I take it you lack the ability to loosen my shackles?” She stared blankly for a moment realising she did not have the keys or magic to free it. “Get behind me and stand at a distance.”

“You will help?”

“Behind me now!” it growled. Ducking under the arm to hide between the towers of the brace she galloped behind nervously. The splinter had turned into a gaping crack that the Darklings were furiously tearing through to get in. The doors thickness was buying them time, not much but hopefully enough. She somehow felt no safer than before, they’re so strong, what if it cannot win? They will get me... no Fluttershy, it will win, it will.

The writhing in front of her brought focus to the brace that twisted against the force. “Libera me” The monster slowly brought its left hind leg forward, the cracking of its joint and grunts showing off the strain from its detention. It flattened and rounded the right claw, leaning to the left to put tension on the chains that suspended it. The metal on its side pushed into the body. Taking two deep breaths the arm tightened and she could see the links at full extension. On the third inhale the claw shuddered as it slowly tugged with greater force, those brackets on its side groaning complacently.

Fluttershy had a quick realisation; if the creature was resistant to magic and the Princess had used magic to build the brace...she watched in alarm as a sickening pop resounded from the claw and the beast groaned in agony dragging it through the iron shackle, exposing the underlying bruised and worn wrist. The claw hung limp and she could hear it shouting through pursed lips, holding back that pain through its gritted teeth while breathing hard and shallow. Bringing the other hind leg forward and managing to stumble to a stand, the full height was now in perspective. She felt helpless at this display and cursed herself for forgetting to grab the keys from Princess Lunas guards. Turning to the other chain it twisted the shining white bonds around the shoulder, again placing tension on it, this time with full weight. As it twisted the body the brace around it clattered to the floor, it had compressed its torso.

The darklings were now almost through the door, the hole not yet large enough for one. With another growl the chains rang out to sing in protest as it forced them away with the weight. They held strong, but the wall itself gave in with a sudden jerk and the brackets secured to it fell free to the stone the floor in a dull thud, kicking up dirt and grime.

It was free now and she was terrified knowing that. Now lone she stood in a closed room behind a monster with the only exit blocked by Darkling golems. With a glimpse to her it cradled the limp claw, another sickening pop as it was returned to its original shape. It forced back a yelp, she could see faint tufts of mist already swirling off the head and back from the heat. It approached the door, the minions had almost succeeded, briefly caught trying to force their bulk through the gap. Seizing the chance it quickly charged towards them as the first broke free. The chains dragged the bracket behind, there was only a numb bewilderment to the outcome. She hoped it could hurt them, and that thought sickened her.

The beasts collided, the darkling swept its arm to the monster but it moved with alarming speed. Coming in under the arm close meeting it with a powerful uppercut to the stomach, the sound of splintering glass echoing around the cell. It seemed as if they froze, it paused but didn’t move the clenched claw from the Darklings gut.

Fluttershy saw its legs were not touching the ground, the blow left it winded and limp, suspended on the creatures unshackled arm, such strength made her shiver. It was a great deal smaller now compared to the golem yet somehow it was no less fearsome. The monster moved closer and roared as it pivoted the minion over the shoulder to smash it to pieces on the ground behind. The shock of the impact could be felt, the sharp vibration making its way through her as her eyes shut to the raining fragments.

The other minion was in now and without hesitation leapt upon it. It was met in kind with a shot to the centre of its chest, staggering it backwards to look down in confusion at the circular crack it now adorned. The golem shut its eyes as though trying to concentrate.

The monster did not move and watched the Darkling find its momentum again. She felt ill watching as it threw a fist straight and true to have it brushed to the side. The monsters leg passed behind it and a quick push toppled it to its back. The golem tried to force itself up and shake off what seemed to be dizziness. The monster stood back again and waited for it to stand. She knew now what it was doing, playing with it as though enjoying this cruelty. It was as sadistic as she had feared. The golem failed to rise and the monster slowly kneeled on the chest and craned its head closer.

“No?” The insincere consideration bitterly seeping out.

“Like glass...” with a roar it brought another blow on the same spot, shattering the body and leaving only large chunks behind. As it stood tall once more something rose from the pieces of dark crystal, black smoke that flowed across the floor.

Fluttershy stood in awe of what she had seen. These minions were invincible, Twilights magic merely reflected off them, yet they shattered under this creatures strength. It now stood before the door to the cell, effortlessly passing through the barriers and into the darkness. She was frozen listening for some indication of what it was doing.

A clang and rustling of chains followed. She wanted to remain in the cell where it was safe, here in the shadows. She could only imagine what was happening up there, out there. As her thoughts came on her friends she found the energy to push one of the numb forelegs forward. Her stomach tightened as the creatures claw gripped the gaping split and pulled the monster back into the cell, no longer bound by the shackle. It was visibly tired after the ordeal and as it approached her legs stepped back, pressing her against the cold wall. It steps were dull and heavy resounding to a steady beat. It came close and she shut her eyes with a tiny squeak, shaking now with thoughts of what a mistake this was to let it loose. She heard the creature stop next to her with another dull thud and felt the warmth from its body and breath.

“Why did it have to be you... Miss Fluttershy. I give you my word to fight to the best of my ability against this enemy. While I cannot promise victory, I will not falter until I draw my last breath.”

The words brought some comfort to her, at least it felt sincere.

“Okay,” she exhaled with relief. Fluttershy found her lungs and breathed deeply trying to calm herself, still keeping her head turned and eyes shut.

“In return I am free?”

“Okay.”

Her shallow breath prevented the screaming when one of the claws rested on her shoulder. She pressed harder against the wall feeling the strain on her hooves.

“I will not harm you. I know not where I am, you must guide me.” Fluttershy tried to calm herself but the fright was dominant. As the pointed digits gently squeezed she looked to the monster slowly. There was no grin, only a furrowed brow over sad sunken eyes. At that point she could not find a reason to be afraid anymore, only a drive to get to the upper level where they were needed. Feeling her legs again she galloped to the door, the claw lifting off.

“This way.” She wanted to save her friends now, she could save them. An icy touch to her flank made her gasp as the creatures claw rested there. Those pointed digits flat against her.

“My eyes are not meant for darkness, lead the way.”

Fluttershy saw the dark in front of them, there were no torches to illuminate the path up the stairs like there were in the chamber, she could see without difficulty, but it was apparently blind.

“How did you find the key then?”

“I watch and learn.”

She trotted forward and it followed her closely never removing the claw. It was very uncomfortable but it had to be done apparently. The monster could fight, it could help. She was surprised by the warmth as the other claw was placed on her side, it was hot, most likely the one first set free. She shuddered thinking about that pop again. They went to the fallen guards, still breathing to her relief. The keys to the shackles had been taken and the open shackles lay on top of them. “Thank you sirs.” She Pulled them over to rest on their sides and loosened the armour, a recovery position to help them hold on. There was always time to help those who needed it. She paused overlooking the damage, her only thought was that this was Princess Lunas greatest guard and they were broken so easily by those monsters. Now though, she had a monster of her own.

She noticed the claw was gone and turned to see the creature had copied her with Princess luna, feeling around clumsily. Its claw was on the side of her neck, two digits extended. Fluttershy wanted to scream thinking the worst but stifled it when she saw the claw stroke the mane to ease the waking princess, who was strangely smiling upon seeing the looming beast. It clambered to its feet ignoring her and replaced its claw on the flank. Although she was concerned about Luna, seeing her point to the stairs commandingly meant she was alright.

A warmth rushed over her as she gained momentum, cantering to and upwards, the creature following closely. They made their way up the spiral slowly with the it occasionally tripping on a step. The breathing was becoming erratic and she could hear the steps clumsily follow each other. she forced herself to ask, “Are you alright?”

“So many stairs,” it gasped. She could not help but smile a little as she thought about Rarity and how they were now going to help. It was a feeling of hope.

At the top, the creature passed through the wall unencumbered by the magic to a scene of her friends facing the Darklings. Twilight was nowhere in sight, Rainbow Dash had joined the ranks of the guard, Applejack and Pinkie were amidst the chaos surrounded by fallen soldiers and were trying to force a golem to let go of Rarity, a tight grip around her throat as it flailed her around trying to get the other two.

Fluttershy jumped as the creature thundered to the golem, Applejack and Pinkie seeing her wave her forelegs frantically stepped to the side. Its eyes were fixed on the brute they were attempting to face, not them.The golem tried to swing to meet the creature but its speed was too great, swaying under and wrapping its arm around the one holding Rarity, pulling it down to give her something beneath her hooves and regain her breath. Fluttershy winced as she heard a cracking sound, and the arm of the golem was cleanly broken free from the body, the fist being pulled apart by the creature to a gasping Rarity. The golem seemed winded, dazed by the action.

Fluttershy galloped to her friend for aid and saw the golem had regained its senses. The creature spun round and deflected its blow. Grabbing the arm and twisting it to break off effortlessly as though it was brittle. It held the golem by the shoulder and used its other arms elbow to send several savage shots to the head, each one cracking and splintering the structure until it finally broke, the body collapsing to the ground spilling more black mist. The nearby Darklings took notice of their fallen comrade and advanced on the creature, the majority remained focused with the group of soldiers still trying to break through to the princess.

Applejack watched in amazement as the creature danced around the golems, spinning them off their feet, pivoting them over its body to shatter to pieces wherever they landed. The five remaining fell disturbingly quickly. She had to look away when the monster picked the final one up in a smooth sweep to be suspended with its claw wrapped only half way around the Darklings neck. Cracking sounds resounded and when she looked back the headless body lay under it.

She saw the monster look away from the fight to the now open front door. It led into the courtyard, city, then to Equestria. Its gaze was fixed on the gap and she had a horrible feeling it was about to run, leaving them to the golems and their king and queen. A pony guard cried out in a sharp yelp as he was thrown to the wall on the far side. The creature turned its head and slowly marched to the fight, she did not know whether to feel relieved or frightened.

The remnants of the Wonderbolts had charged in and were trying to break through the golems to the princess’ chamber. Spitfire had organised the guards into a line trying to push them back, their spears broke on the gem skin yet they did not falter using the wall of their shields to gain whatever ground they could as they were impacted by the heavy fists. They were struggling to save their princess, their captain Shining armour now encased in black crystal, unable to continue the fight.

Cradling Rarity Fluttershy probed for breaks or collapses but only seemed to cause more pain. That, to her, was a good thing, no permanent damage. Her attentions turned to the whereabouts of the creature and she saw it staring at the destroyed entrance to the castle. It was almost certain to her it would abandon them now. Before she could speak it walked up past her and tapped the head, the digits running through her mane. Closing her eyes she saw it crush the neck of that golem again, to her relief the claw swept through. It raised its arms and stretched out rolling its shoulders and neck creating a symphony of cracks. She could still feel the lines where the digits touched her scalp.

“Thank you Miss Fluttershy.” The creature spoke with sincerity and slowly marched on the turned backs of the pony force. Spitfire turned to see this strange monster approach and felt terror as its pace quickened, eyes focused directly on her, gritting its teeth. Spitfire did not know what this bizarre thing was, but she knew it was not friendly. It broke into a charge and headed directly for the ponies.

“Second company about face!” She ordered and the line split into two rows now facing either side, the golems and the monster. She felt doubt rising at their chances but pushed them back down taking command of her soldiers. “Let nothing through!” She ordered. The monster was now at great speed, each step quaking the ground, it charged forward and the ponies stood ready for the impact. Spitfire braced herself ready to take it down. “BRACE!” she yelled. The monsters arms moved before it parting the shields blocking. Passing through the soldiers holding them and heading to spitfire. She dashed forward but it spun around and past her heading to the backs of the ponies facing the golems. Spitfire sharply turned to follow it but halted when she saw the creature run through the guards and send a crushing overhead blow to the top of a Golem, instantly pinning it to the ground. A quick second swing saw the golem behind it stagger back as the creature stood high, stepping down on the fallen one to crush the head under the wight. She never felt so relieved to be wrong. The soldiers around her shared the confusion blankly staring at what was now happening.

The creature fought wildly throwing the golems into one another. It ripped around them sending quick punches to the midsections and heads. It backed up against one tripping it over and crushing the hard as it forced it faster to the floor. The golems scattered and regrouped around the creature forming a semicircle. The ground was littered with their shards, their once invincible skin breaking like glass under the monster.

To its back the line had reformed and the ponies stood, shields raised. Spitfire was ready to charge but the monster did not wait. It threw itself at the Darklings shattering their defence. They fell back and it sent another crippling blow to the chest of a fallen one, again shattering it. The golems were striking the Monster but their blows seemed to have little effect. Spitfire could see from the strain though it was feeling it every time. She wanted to order her troops in but was forced to reconsider seeing the monster fight. It felt as though she would only be In the way. A golem connected with the creatures face but it did not falter, it pushed on and threw the would be assailant, catapulting it into the door behind to shatter.

They watched on as it seemingly swayed though each strike to reverse them on the thrower. The creature was fast but far from agile or prepared to face these odds. Spitfire knew a trained soldier when she saw one, this monster was not a soldier. The weariness of its captivity showing as it was repeatedly struck amidst the ripostes. Every time it was hit the only visible effect was that of causing greater anger and rage. Spitfire could not help be grateful but she was prepared for this monster to turn to them.

“All units face line.” Her legion did so tightening the wall again to prepare. She did not know what to do at this point. Each attack ended in failure, they could not scrape the golems yet here this thing could break them apart. It was the first time in her career she was truly lost on the net step. Watching her formation there was only one thing she could do.

“Alright, ready! Brace, Let nothing through THIS TIME! Keep them close to our friend. He’ll show you how its done! Pay attention!”

Rainbow, Rarity and Pinkie had regained their senses and blankly gaped at the creatures display of force.

“Where’s Twilight?” Fluttershy asked them panicked as she tended to Applejack. Pinkies concentration broke.

“She went in after Celestia and the queen,” pointing to the sealed doors. It became then apparent why the soldiers were trying to gain access. Twilight was alone with them, she needed help.

The creature picked up the final golem by the throat and roared with anger as it crushed the head with its claw. It turned and saw Fluttershy staring at the doors. Without waiting it ran forward to dig its claws in to pull at the structure, the door did not move.

“It’s sealed by magic. We can’t break it.” Spitfire called to the creature. It did not respond and kept pulling with all its might. There was an immense groaning sound and the door budged slightly. Spitfire smiled in satisfaction. “Don’t stand there growing old, help!” The soldiers ran forward grabbing every protruding decoration and bolt in the frame and pulled furiously to loosen it, the doors opened slowly and the creature reached in the gap parting them to create a wider space.

Twilight stood in front of Celestia. Casting a powerful shield protecting her. Lights and spells danced around the room and King Sombre laughed in satisfaction watching her struggle agains his Queen.

“Her power will be mine!” Chrysalis was firing a blast of energy at Twilight but she could not break the shield.

“Allow me my love,” King Sombre joined her and the shield began to crack.

“No...” Twilight said feebly, her strength was fading fast, she had fought hard to hold the tide for Fluttershy and hoped her friend got to the monster safely, or got away from it safely.

The doors creaked open to reveal a sliver of light shining into the darkened room. King Sombre stopped his assault and looked to the source of the noise. He could see them opening and the gap growing wider. He cast a spell to reseal it but his magic had no effect on them, falling short of the towering entrance. Confused by this he tried again to the same result, he could not understand. The doors tore open revealing an unfamiliar being parting them, from the silhouette it looked like a minotaur but he could not make out what it was. It charged forward and he sent a blast to encase it in his crystal. A sharp painful shock connected to his head and he staggered back but was drawn forward, pulled by his horn. An overwhelming exhaustion hit him and he struggled to remain standing. Motions were blurred but he felt a claw pin his head down, and writhed in agony as his horn was broken of, splintering to hang limply before his eyes.

This being was unaffected wrapping its claws around his throat, lifting him from the ground to send its fist careening into his face, its claw refusing to allow him to fall loose. Amidst his restricted breaths he fired a spell of ice trying to freeze it but the splintered mess protested as the fist came crashing into his face again. He could see his queen also firing a brilliant green light at the creature now, it hit but had no effect. The king was feeling weaker, scarce able to kick out, scream. He could not fight and despised his weakness for the first time. His regret was of all the creatures in Equestria, he had been defeated by this thing. It threw him to the ground, he waited for it to release but the claw tightened, the other gaining full momentum as he felt the impact crack his crystal body, he could not even flee as a spirit, trapped in the casing he wore. As he tired to speak the voice failed him, unable to lift his own head he stared into his Queens eyes as she faded with the world to black.

Twilight fell on her tutor in relief as the creature stormed in grabbing the king by the throat sending a flurry of blows to his head. She could see fury in its eyes, it was not stopping. It kept hitting the king. Twilight wanted to shout out but she could not call. left drained by the fight, only able to lay there watching in horror. It threw King Sombra to the ground, Chrysalis was trying to free him blasting the creature with all her power. It would not work. The creature raised its arm high and this time held it up a moment longer.

“NO!” Queen Chrysalis cried as the creature sent its fist into the ground, shattering the body. There was no smoke rising from the chunks, it lay motionless. Twilight was afraid, she was helpless to stop it as the creature grinned and rose to face the queen. There was something about that smile that sent painful shivers in her body, it looked hungry. Staring at the unconscious princess under her. She placed her hooves on the shoulder and shook gently unable to make anything but a faint moan. More than anytime she needed her to wake up now. No movements and a burnt out horn on top of her fatigue brought her to rest with her Celestia.

Chrysalis was stunned, she stared at the remains and back at this monster. Unconsciously she stepped back as its grin widened and eyes settled on her. Those eyes darted all around her body to take in every detail. Words failed as it charged her, she tried to fly but was too slow. It grabbed her front leg and she spun around, thrown into the far wall.

She hurled a large piece of rubble with her magic at the creature, the force of the impact was apparent and sent it back. When the dust parted the creature remained standing, one arm grabbing the other and twisting it back into place with a pop and crack extending both at the ready. It was still smiling.

“Minions!” She called out summoning all the golems to her. She could not understand how but there were fewer now and she knew that this monster, the one the alicorn spoke of, was to blame. They charged in to protect their queen. The battle was horrific as the monster met them, head butting the nearest in the stomach then throwing it over its body to impact on the ground as dust. The others tried to pile on it but the beasts speed ensured their failure, turning over one after the next, grappling and crushing them. Queen Chrysalis sent a mighty shockwave at it, tearing through her own minions. There was a dark cloud and only the creature remained standing over the pieces.

A golden glint drew her eye to the entrance, there was still a dozen legion soldiers marching in. The unpleasant reality sunk in with the immediate regret of not going after that pink maned pegasus herself. With bitter resentment she flew up quickly and darted out the door crack with the intact flyers giving chase with Spitfire and Rainbow Dash. The unicorns and Earth ponies remained to face the room. They halted their advance to the princesses as the monster turned to them.

It rushed to Princess Twilight and Princess Celestia, placing its claws around their necks feeling for something. It was breathing heavily, exhausted and dripping with sweat. Twilight lay still, the battle left her severely drained. She felt proud of herself for standing against both her foes. She saw the monsters face more closely now and it was adorned with a gash running across its right side. Her fears now shifted from the queen to it and she tried to kick out and scream as the warm claw caressed her throat.

“Back away slowly monster.” She turned her head with great effort to see a group of ponies rushing in the room. Shining Armour had regained his strength and stood in the front with his legion, the black crystal casing had crumbled around those trapped and all able soldiers were poised behind him. The monster hung its head and sighed heavily, her skin crawling as the heat swept over. It slowly rose, pushing off its knee for support. It took a step forward to stand over Twilight and Celestia. Twilight could not shake the feeling things were about to get a lot worse.

Fluttershy galloped in the room in time to the scene of dust. The creature was now faced by the pony guards and stood over the unconscious Celestia and Twilight. To her horror it was laden with wounds inflicted from the fight, the knuckles dripped with what she feared was its own blood, deformed and broken from the solid crystal of the Darklings. The garments were torn and stained, glittering from the gem fragments covering it. The face dripped with sweat, the odd trickle of red running down the features. One eye was shut, it appeared to be badly damaged.

She could not help but drink in the scene, its presence was remarkable. Even this badly hurt it could instil enough doubt to hold back the royal guard. The fight was over, Fluttershy was confused why they were not going to help them. The creature stood over the princesses that lay beneath it in a defensive stance with a bowed head, waiting for something. Seeing the faces of the guards, eyes narrowed and focused with Shining Armour at the front, a terrifying feeling hit her. The creature was using Twilight and Celestia exactly as it did Rainbow.

It was breathing heavily, raising his head it swallowed, fighting the pain it was feeling. Looking around cautiously moving over Celestia. The right leg was shuddering, she could see from the way it placed its weight it was painful to stand on it. The eyes settled on Fluttershy expectantly as the soldiers eased around to form a rough circle, searching for an opening to rescue their princesses. The intensity of its gaze brought back her trembling feeling, a warning clear and simple to those who dared approach, warding off their advance. They were afraid what it would do to their princesses. It placed a claw on Celestias throat, again two digits extended. The same to Twilight who lay over her. Shining Armour made to advance but halted as the creatures claw slid into his sisters mane, picking it up and running the hair through those digits with a cruel smile plastered to its face.

“Coward!” Shining Armour yelled out.

It slowly pulled its leg forwards over Celestia. Its movements were sluggish and dazed. It seemed the right leg had been scraped, explaining why it could not put full weight on it forcing a limp. The creature stepped forwards slowly to Fluttershy and the guards in front closed their formation ready for what would come. It clenched its claws with a crack and the dripping began once more while its eyes narrowed.

Twilight and Celestia were now free from the monsters shadow. The guards behind rushed in to the fallen princesses, raising their shields over to protect them from the monster. Two tended to Celestia and Twilight, trying to carefully move them away from it. Fluttershy saw it in the eyes, it was not going back to the cell, this creature was going to take its freedom. She was panicking, the soldiers were not prepared to fight it, they had not seen how far it could push itself, no pain nor wound would hold back that much anger. What it had said, ‘until I draw my last breath’.

It was closing in, the pace once more slowly quickening. The guards shifted and tightened their formation. Shining armour readied himself.

“Stop! Please stop! The fighting’s over, please!” she screamed. To her surprise the creature was the one that halted. It blinked rubbing its eye, leaving grime to stain the area. It raised itself and stood at full height, above all the guards, not by much but enough to force Shining Armour to reconsider their charge. The grin was finally gone and its mouth remained flat, the tongue licking some of the red trails clear.

“This lady has given me my freedom for my word to fight to the best of my ability against this enemy.” Fluttershy was surprised, the oath was correct word for word and she understood the severity of its pledge. Shining armour glanced at her and she gave a nervous nod. “I ask you stand aside.” He did not move. “Your loyalty is admir...admira-” it swallowed hard again wincing, “Valiant. You should know this captain, I will not be chained again. Stand aside before my patience fails.”

“After all you have done you will be lucky if we chain you.”

With a deep inhale the creature threw its head back and howled with all its might. Fluttershy could see the shifting of the uneasy soldiers. The noise was loud and booming, it felt as though the agonised wail tore through her repeatedly as it echoed. The creature jerked its figure around stretching each muscle and bone as it righted itself. She felt a shiver as it stepped forward, the leg no longer limping. Each time it struck the ground with its bulk the soldiers seemed to hold their spears and shields a little tighter. Shining Armour stood ready with his legion, proudly unwavering against the beast.

Fluttershy did not know what she could do. It was going to hurt them. She had to stop this monster, anything at this point must happen. As tears fell from the fear she remembered what it said; ‘Why did it have to be you’. She galloped before it to spread her forelegs out wide and high to face down that sadistic grin plastered on is jaw. Trying to ignore the pain she felt in her wings, she closed her eyes not knowing what to expect. Breathing heavily she felt the panic growing with every moment. She winced as the claw rested on her shoulder and the ponies behind stared on dumbstruck.

“It’s alright Miss. Please stand aside.”

“No,” she forced herself to stare at it, “You will hurt them, please stop hurting. Just stop!” As her final word reverberated about the chamber Princess Luna staggered in with Applejack supporting her. She forcefully spoke through constrained breath, “Lower your weapons! We need not stand against this monster today. Save your strength and focus yourselves in aid of the fallen. Your Princess commands it.” The guards hesitantly backed away obeying their orders, Shining armour finding it the most difficult of all.

The monster continued walking once more to the door, letting its claw run along the shoulder of the now relieved pegasus. It was limping again with pain but its face remained fixed and focused. The sweat dripped down, drawing lines in the dust on its features only emphasising its sinister facade. As it came by Luna it nodded in gratitude to her intervention, passing by without quarrel.

Applejack grew nervous as it lumbered by her, the eye looking to the princess as it carried itself out. It passed Rarity, being tended to by Pinkie. As it approached Pinkie was strangely not concerned. Seeing it free Rarity was shocking, and she had an awful thought of what would have happened if it did not intervene. As it lumbered past it slowed to stare at the unicorn laying there.

She did not know why, but Pinkie felt the need to speak to it, “She’s okay...” her words trailing off. It looked away and as it limped through the partition its pace quickened making for the broken doors to the light of the Canterlot dawn.