• Published 7th Apr 2013
  • 1,033 Views, 26 Comments

Dashie's First Day - ForteFermata



Rainbow Dash is finally ready for her first day of Flight School! When she gets there, though, things don't go quite how she expected.

  • ...
1
 26
 1,033

Chapter 5

Rainbow Dash sat in a chair outside the counselors office. She had her forelimbs crossed, and she was staring at the ground. Why did she have to stay there? Fluttershy had made it to the office, so what did they need her for? When she listened, she could hear the muffled voices of Fluttershy and the counselor. What was her name again? Ditzy Doo? Dinky something? Rainbow couldn't remember.

What were they even talking about in there? To Rainbow, there was only one logical choice for what to do with Fluttershy. The filly couldn't fly, so why not send her to an earth pony school? That's what Rainbow Dash would have done, just to be done with it. She wasn't trying to be mean, but it was what she thought.

Rainbow's face softened. Maybe she was being a bit harsh. She thought about how she would feel if she were sent to an earth pony school. She would be grounded, unable to fly, surrounded by ponies who couldn't understand the wonder of flight. Maybe she should apologize...

"Rainbow Dash?" A voice said. Rainbow turned to see the counselors head poking out the door. "Could you come in here for a minute?"

"Oh, um, sure." Rainbow said, hopping down from the chair. As she walked into the office, the first thing she noticed was the basket of muffins on the desk. Really? A basket of muffins? This mare sure was weird.

Rainbow sat down in a chair next to Fluttershy, and the counselor sat behind her desk. "Muffin?" She offered. Rainbow politely declined. "Okay then." She said, taking one for herself. After she took a bite and swallowed, she began. "Rainbow, my name is Derpy Hooves. I met you this morning, but I understand if you don't remember me. The first day of flight school is always exciting, though I feel you've had a bit... Different experience." Derpy smiled, her eyes doing the weird thing Rainbow had noticed earlier in the day.

Rainbow Dash wanted to say something, to ask her what was up with her eyes, but she remember what her dad had said, and decided against it. "You can say that again, Ms. Hooves." Rainbow said instead.

Derpy continued. "You can just call me Derpy." She smiled again. "Now, Fluttershy tells me that you two have talked already, so I don't need to introduce you." At this, Rainbow looked over at the pink maned filly, who's head was down as she twiddled her hooves. Of course she told, Rainbow thought, she probably spilled her heart to anypony who asked. If she could work up the courage to speak. Derpy interrupted her train of thought.

"Fluttershy told me that you think that she isn't the best flyer. Is that right?"

"Yeah. She sucks." Rainbow said, being completely honest.

"Well, I'm sure you weren't the best flyer when you started either." Derpy replied.

"Yeah, but I can fly great now!" Rainbow snapped, taking Derpy's comment as an insult to her pride.

"So you learned quickly, right?" Derpy said, not reacting to Rainbow Dash's outburst.

"Yeah. Flying is easy." Dash said.

"Well, maybe for you, but not for everypony." Derpy said. "For some ponies, flying is rather difficult. Every pony is special, and everypony learns at different rates. You may be a natural flyer, but for Fluttershy, flying is a bit more difficult. She needs some extra help." Derpy smiled again. "And she's asked if you would be willing to help her."

"Me? But, but..." Rainbow stammered. She didn't know what to say. The filly she had yelled at, belittled, and made to cry... Wanted her help? Rainbow couldn't imagine asking for help. Her sense of pride wouldn't allow it. She remembered what her dad said, though, about some ponies being special in different ways, and how she should respect other ponies' specialness. She nodded. "Okay. I'll help her out."

Fluttershy looked at Rainbow Dash, surprised. She hadn't expected the rainbow filly to say yes. She hadn't really wanted Derpy to tell Rainbow about her request, and she was really embarrassed, but... Rainbow had said yes. Maybe they could be friends after all. Fluttershy really wanted to be friends with Rainbow Dash. Almost like... Almost like they were meant to be friends. Suddenly, Fluttershy smiled and threw her arms around Rainbow Dash.

"Yay!" She squeaked, taking Rainbow by surprise.

"Whoa, whoa there." She said, trying to push Fluttershy off of her. "That's enough of that." Derpy laughed, smiling, her eyes derping.

"See Rainbow. She's not that bad." Derpy joked. "Good. Now that that's settled, how about you two run off back to class?" Fluttershy let go of Rainbow, and the two of them left the office, and walked next to each other back to class.

The rest of the day was spent in class. Mr. Gale was teaching about basic aerodynamics and flight techniques, stuff that most of the young fillies and colts already knew. Rainbow Dash sat next to Fluttershy, and made sure that she took good notes. While she wasn't watching over Fluttershy, though, Rainbow wondered why most of the class was quiet and attentive. Normally, they'd be chatting quietly, trying to seem like they were paying attention, but not really. They already knew most of what Mr. Gale was teaching them, so why the intent stares? This left Rainbow Dash puzzled, but only because she didn't know what happened just before she and Fluttershy got back to class.