• Published 7th Apr 2013
  • 1,034 Views, 26 Comments

Dashie's First Day - ForteFermata



Rainbow Dash is finally ready for her first day of Flight School! When she gets there, though, things don't go quite how she expected.

  • ...
1
 26
 1,034

Chapter 3

A few minutes later, Rainbow Dash found herself out on a large runway with the rest of the class. As they walked, she marveled at the setup. The runway stretched out before her, and in the air, there were rings and walls. A floating obstacle course. There were other pegasi flying through it, older students warming back up for another year of flight school after the summer break.

Rainbow was so caught up watching the other ponies, she bumped into the colt in front of her as the class stopped. "Sorry," she said as the clot glared at her. Then they turned their attention to Mr. Gale.

"This is the world famous Cloudsdale Flight School Training Yard. This flight yard, and indeed the school itself, was originally commissioned over 1000 years ago. Who can tell me what the original purpose of this facility was?" He asked, looking over the class.

"You mean it wasn't always a school?" Rainbow Dash said quietly, wondering to herself.

"No, Miss Dash, it was not." Mr. Gale said, startling Rainbow. "And I would appreciate it if you didn't talk unless you know the answer."

"Sorry Mr. Gale." Rainbow said, frowning.

Ignoring her apology, Tempest Gale continued. "When it was first built, this facility was a training ground for Nightmare Moon's air force." This revelation caused a stir in the class, the students making quiet comments to one another.

"After she was defeated," Mr. Gale continued, speaking loudly to regain the class's attention, "Nightmare Moon' air force training base was shut down, and forces of the Solar Empire scoured the base for intel. Few ponies know this, but Nightmare Moon was a brilliant aerial strategist. Many of the manuvers used in the air force today are based on concepts she pioneered. In fact, the Wonderbolts have a flight routine, called Nightmare Flight, that incorporates elements from her revolutionary dog-fighting techniques." Mr. Gale looked over the class, ensuring he had their attention. Once he knew he did, he smiled again. "So, who's ready to show me what they've got?"

Standing off to the side of the runway, the class watched as Mr. Gale set up their first test. Rainbow Dash took this opportunity to try and talk to the yellow filly again.

"Hey there." She said, walking up to the shy little pegasus. "I didn't quite catch your name earlier." Rainbow smiled, trying to put the other filly at ease.

"Oh, um, I'm really sorry about that... I guess I was just really nervous." The filly said, crossing her forelimbs shyly. "My name is, um, Fluttershy." She finally got out. "It's uh, nice to meet you." Fluttershy looked up at Rainbow Dash, resisting the urge to hide behind her mane. It was not an easy urge to resist.

"It's great to meet you too, Fluttershy." Rainbow said, smiling at her ner friend. Rainbow sat down. "So, are you as excited as I am about your first year of flight school?"

"Well, actually, this isn't my first year..." Fluttershy said, sitting down as well. "My first year was last year."

"Last year? Then what are you doing in the beginner class?" Rainbow asked, confused. "Shouldn't you be up there?" She pointed up at the other classes flying above them.

"Well, I would be. But I kind of... Didn't... Pass..." Fluttershy explained, kicking at a piece of cloud in front of her.

"You didn't pass basic flight school?" Rainbow asked, incredulous. "How could you not pass basic flight school? It's so... Basic! It's easy!" Fluttershy cringed, backing away from Rainbow Dash's criticism. The shy yellow filly finally succombed to the urge and hid her face behind her mane, wimpering. Before Rainbow could continue, though, a voice stopped her.

"Alright everypony, line up." Mr. Gale called, returning to the class. As the class obeyed, he paced in front of them, explaining what they were to do. "I have set up five rings, each about thirty feet apart. Each ring is slightly smaller than the one before it. When it is your turn, I want you to fly through each ring in sequence. Keep in mind, this is not a grade. There are no penalties, and no shame if you don't finish. This is simply a benchmark so I can see where everypony's flying abilities are. That being said, I want each of you to focus on precision, not speed. The last ring is only slightly bigger than most of you, so it is going to be a tight fit. Especially for you, Bulk Biceps." He said, indicating the muscular white colt as he finished. "So do your best, and remember. It's not the end of the world if you don't finish. Now, Storm Dancer. You're up!"

As the first pegasus began, Rainbow Dash looked down the line. A couple of spots down from her was Fluttershy. How did she not pass flight school? Everypony passed basic flight school! And of course, Rainbow had to try and make friends with the one pegasus who managed to find a way to fail. 'Well, not anymore,' she thought, turning away from the timid little foal. Her attention returned to the course just as the first student was finishing up.

"Good job Storm." Mr. Gale said. Then he looked down at his class roster. "Next up is... Bulk Biceps."

"Oh boy, this should be good." Rainbow said, smiling as Bulk took his spot at the starting line. She snickered as his wings began beating furiously, prepping for take off.

"On your mark!" Mr. Gale said. Bulk crouched down, his head low.

"Get set!" Bulk's flank rose in the air, ready to kick off with his hind legs.

"GO!" Bulk shot forward, propelled by his legs. Surprisingly, his wings kept him aloft as he passed through the first ring. He kept flying, gaining speed as he approached the second. Rainbow couldn't believe it. Wasn't it physically impossible for wings that small to lift a pony that big? But here he was, his tiny wings buzzing as they pushed him through the third ring. As Bulk Biceps looked ahead, he realized that he was indeed to big to fit through the fifth ring. He passed through the fourth and started to slow down, but then, a look of inspiration crossed his face. He sped forward, zooming towards the final ring. He tensed his muscles, then, as he collided with the edges of the cloud ring, his limbs exploded outward, demolishing the relatively flimsy cloud.

"YEAH!!!" He cried as he burst through the fifth ring like an arrow through a melon. Most of the class was in awe. Nopony expected him to be able to make it past the first ring, let alone completely destroy the last one. Bulk flew back and landed next to Mr. Gale. "Yeah." He said, a bit quieter this time. Mr. Gale was shocked.

"Well then... Well done, Bulk Biceps." He shook his head, coming out of his shock. "Now, after I'm done replacing the last ring, the next flier will be..." He looked down at his clipboard. "Rainbow Dash."

Author's Note:

I was going to have Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy go in this chapter, but I couldn't pass up the opportunity to let Snowflake show his stuff. XD