• Published 7th Apr 2013
  • 1,033 Views, 26 Comments

Dashie's First Day - ForteFermata



Rainbow Dash is finally ready for her first day of Flight School! When she gets there, though, things don't go quite how she expected.

  • ...
1
 26
 1,033

Chapter 1

"Awww, but Dad!" Rainbow Dash moaned, sitting in front of her father's bathroom counter.

"Dashie, you need to look nice for your first day." Her father said, tugging at the final braid in her mane.

"Daaaaad! You know I don't like all this girly stuff." Rainbow complained, looking at her self in the mirror. Indeed, she did hate having her mane done. She usually just kept it in its natural, wind swept state.

"Calm down, Dashie. If it really bothers you that much, you can just take it out when you get there." Her father replied. "I know that's what you're going to do anyway. But please, just humor me, honey. Okay?" He asked, smiling at her in the mirror.

"Fine..." She said, crossing her forelegs, pouting.

"Atta girl. Now how 'bout you go get your goggles, and I'll get you some breakfast?"

"Okay Daddy!" Rainbow said, jumping up from her spot on the counter, fluttering down to the floor, and dashing to her room. When she got there, she grabbed her flight goggles from her dresser and put them on, her pigtails getting in the way. Her father just had to braid her mane. Didn't it look fine like it usually was? She didn't really care, though. Her dad was right, she was just going to take them out when she got there. She wasn't going to have her first day messed up by some froo-froo hair style. Rainbow Dash was going to make sure her first day was totally awesome. She was going to wow her instructors, blow away her class mates, and totally wipe out any competition. She was Rainbow Dash, after all.

She looked at herself in the mirror. Her goggles on, her wings strong, her eyes full of spunk. Yeah. She was ready. She was more than ready. She turned from the mirror and went downstairs. Her dad was waiting for her.

"Well, if it isn't my little flyer. You're looking like you're more than ready to take on your first day." He said, placing a plate on the table.

"You bet Dad!" Rainbow Dash answered, flying up to her chair. She looked at the plate. "Mmm! Waffles! My favorite!" She said before digging in.

"Of course dear. Only the best for my little filly on her first day." He said, laughing as he walked up behind the rainbow-maned pegasus, and nuzzled her head with his hoof.

"Dad! Stop! You'll mess up my mane!" Rainbow said, pushing his hooves away and covering her head.

"I thought you didn't care about you're mane?" He asked skeptically, smirking.

"I don't!" Rainbow quickly said, trying to recover from her slip up. It was true she normally didn't care what her mane looked like, but for some reason, she kind of liked it braided in pigtails. Not that she'd ever admit it.

"Uh huh. Of course you don't." Her father said sarcastically. He looked up at the clock. "Oh, Dash! We better get going before you're late."

"Okay, one sec, Dad." Rainbow replied. She then scarfed down the rest of her breakfast, wiped her face on her hoof, and joined her dad at the door. "Ready?"

"Yeah. Let's go." Dad replied, opening the door. The two rainbow-maned ponies walked outside, then took to the air. They soared, side by side, through the streets of Cloudsdale, passing other pegasi. Rainbow Dash was giggling. She always enjoyed flying with her father. Pretty soon, she started edging in front of him. When he noticed this, he sped up and edged in front of her. Frowning, she pulled in front of him, cutting him off. He laughed, and dove underneath her, sticking his tongue out at his daughter as he passed. Inevitably, the two ended up racing, spinning and diving around each other, passing and drafting, taking off in bursts of speed.

Rainbow's dad knew he could have easily beaten his daughter in a real race, since his wings were bigger, and stronger, but he held back, enjoying the friendly game. He didn't hold back too much, though. He still gave Rainbow Dash a challenge, and made her work for victory. Eventually, however, Rainbow Dash landed in front of the flight school, then turned to watch her father come down after her.

"I beat you!" The filly said triumphantly.

"Yeah. Looks like you're old man is loosing his touch." He said, panting slightly. His daughter had really put up a fight.

"Come on, dad. I know you could have won if you really wanted to." Rainbow said, nudging her father.

"Maybe. But you're really catching up." Her dad laughed. "Come on, lets get you registered." The two walked inside the school. Rainbow Dash looked around, marveling. The front lobby was huge! There were pegasi everywhere, both parents and their fillies and colts, all buzzing excitedly about the first day of flight school. At the far end, there was a table set up, and there were a bunch of stallions and mares sitting at the table, signing up students and assigning them classes. Rainbow and her dad walked up to a table with a grey pegasus mare with a light blonde mane.

"Hi. I'd like to register my daughter, Rainbow Dash, for flight school." The father said, standing in front of the table while Rainbow stood on her hind hooves, trying to see over it.

"Sure!" The bubbly grey mare said. "Let me just get your information and we'll get started right away!"

As the mare and her father talked, Rainbow Dash looked around the lobby, noticing some of the other pegasi. There was one pale grey pegasus filly, with a mane that was very styled. "That won't last when we start flying." Rainbow Dash said to herself. There was a muscular brown colt with a pale brown mane standing with lighter brown colt with a darker brown mane, and a dark grey pegasus with a black mane. The three were obviously friends. Rainbow Dash immediately didn't like them. She continued to look around when she noticed one pegasus in particular. She cocked her head, since this particular colt was so unusual. He was extremely muscular. Much more so than any other pony she had ever seen. His coat was snow white, and his close cut mane was a dirty blonde. She giggled a little when she saw his wings. They were smaller than a few month old filly's, and she wasn't sure they would hold him up. She'd have to keep an eye on him. He looked like fun to watch.

Suddenly, a voice pulled her out of her observations. "Rainbow Dash, introduce yourself." Her father was saying, nudging her back towards the table.

"Oh, okay." She said, standing once again on her hind legs to see over the table. "Hi! My name's Rainbow Dash." She said to the grey mare.

"It's nice to meet you Rainbow Dash." The mare said back, smiling wide. "My name's Derpy Hooves. I'll be your guidance counselor this year."