• Published 5th Apr 2013
  • 631 Views, 164 Comments

Ever After - Mixer



The sequel to the Mixer Chronicles

  • ...
2
 164
 631

Gearing Up

The zebra was inwardly panicking. She had never been off the ground for more than a few seconds at a time, and now she had been dangling from the claws of a manticore for several hours. She hadn’t eaten in a while, but her stomach was churning nonetheless. It was reaching the point where she was ready to be sick.

“Somepony let me down! I can’t take all this flying around!” she cried. Fluttershy looked over to the blind zebra, who was now flailing around madly.

“Landing for a little rest couldn’t hurt...” she said. The manticore looked back over its shoulder, where Angel was riding on its back. The bunny shook his head, denying the request. The manticore took the denial in silence, readjusted the two passengers it was carrying, and flew on.

“Now see here mister! This poor pony is going to fall into the forest below if she keeps flailing, and then we’ll have to search for her,” Fluttershy said to the flying monstrosity. The manticore grunted and readjusted its grip on the zebra her again.

“Oh, don’t you make me use the stare on you,” Fluttershy warned. That caught its attention. The manticore knew better than to test the stare, and so against Angel’s furious complaints it descended to the ground below. When the zebra felt her hooves touch the ground, she hugged it like it was the only thing in the world she had ever wanted.

“Oh thank goodness,” she sighed, enjoying the steady earth. “Solid ground.”

“Wait, I thought all zebras talked in rhyme?” Fluttershy asked, confused as to the break in rhythmic cadence she was accustomed to.

“No you silly pony, only important members of our society use that speech. Though we also use it when speaking to foreigners as a sign of respect,” the zebra explained.

“Oh...” Fluttershy said.

“Who am I to speak of respect though? I have not told you my name. I am Char. But who are you?” the blind zebra asked.

“Oh, my name is...” Fluttershy trailed off, catching a glare from Angel. “Well, I’m nopony special,” she finished lamely.

“Surely you jest? Not just anypony can command a manticore,” Char said.

“Oh, it’s nothing really...” Fluttershy said, swirling a hoof in the dirt. “Just a gift…”

“But that brings me to another question. Why are you commanding a manticore, and where are we?” Char asked.

“Oh, t-that...” Fluttershy stuttered.

“Is something wrong?” Char asked.

“Well, um...” Fluttershy trailed off, trying to find a way out of having to explain anything. Char heard the sound of something whizzing through the air and jumped at Fluttershy, pulling her to the ground and out of the way of a flying carrot.

“Are you alright?” Char asked.

“What was all that about? Angel just threw a carrot,” Fluttershy said.

“That was no mere carrot,” the zebra replied, standing up and dusting herself off.

“It looked like any old carrot to me,” Fluttershy said, looking over to where the carrot had flown into a bush.
“There is a foul magic about it,” Char said. As if in response to her words, the bush began to wilt, leaves falling off it.

“Angel! What did you do?” Fluttershy questioned the small white rabbit. Char began contemplating running, but it would be useless. If she didn’t trip and hurt herself, the manticore would surely chase her. She could sense the beast gradually getting over its temporary fear of the pegasus beside her.

Angel was conjuring another carrot, the lethal vegetable forming in between his paws. Darkstar had foreseen that Fluttershy would be too weak willed to carry out his orders, so he had sent Angel with specifically to make sure the job got done.

“Angel, when could you do that?” Fluttershy asked nervously. With a glare at the pegasus, the rabbit threw the newly formed carrot towards Char. The zebra managed to dodge the projectile, and turned to face the small furry enemy. Char wasn’t much for fighting - she would much rather settle a dispute peacefully - but that didn’t mean that she was defenseless.

“Attacking me would make her weep, wouldn’t you rather catch some sleep,” the zebra sang in a hypnotic tone. Angel found himself strangely susceptible to Char’s powers, and soon he began swaying uneasily on his feet.

“You are strong; you still resist. But sleep now bunny; do not persist,” Char sang, causing Angel’s eye to droop sleepily. After a few more seconds, Angel finally slumped forward, now in a deep sleep.

“Wow, Pinkie was right about you zebras. You really can put things in trances,” Fluttershy said, astonished.

“You think that only unicorns can use magic, but other races have magic of their own,” Char said. “And now, I would like to get back to Ponyville. At the very least, back to a town or city near here,” Char said.

“Well, I can’t really take you anywhere...” Fluttershy said.

“It is alright. I understand if you wish to stay with your companion,” Char said, moving towards the trees.

“That’s not really what I meant…” the pegasus trailed off as the zebra disappeared amongst the underbrush. “I think that Hollow Shades is the other way,” she called out.

“Thank you friend,” Char said as she reappeared, and began moving in the other direction.

--

“Wow. I’m surprised you had some of these just lying around,” Breeze said, rifling through a box of parts, one of many that Violet Runner had shipped in.

“Well, I like to tinker sometimes,” she said.

“You know, if you two would quit jabbering and start helping, this would go faster,” Solid Gear said, helping Flit replace some internal mechanisms in Colossus.

“Well, we do have to sort through quite a bit,” Treble retorted, sorting another box with Cotton Candy. The six of them had begun working on the golem after Solid Gear had drawn up some plans for improvements to the golem’s design.

“Those improvements look quite interesting,” Mixer said, observing the plans for his upgrades. The diagram looked nearly as imposing on the paper as the golem did in real life; its armor was sleeker, it sported a new cannon on its arm, and it was simply bigger.

“Yeah, Solid. Where did you get the idea for the static cannon on the left arm?” Breeze asked.

“Well, from what you said, this thing can use rudimentary magic. So, I thought that with some crystal catalysts, it could project what magic it can use,” Solid Gear said, smiling to herself. “Just a little touch of genius.”

“And making improved armor for the legs and chassis was just logical,” Violet Runner said, pulling out an odd part from one of the boxes.
“You’re even making him look even more intimidating with the armor crests and the angled plating on the legs,” Candy said.

“He’s going into combat right? Then he’ll need all the upgrades that we can do in a short time,” Solid said.

“So Breeze, how did you end up powering this thing?” Violet Runner asked.

“Well, uh, we took the concept from another construct I made, and made it bigger,” the pegasus replied.

“But the crystal inside is massive, at least by standard measurements.”

“We had this one specially made,” Breeze lied. He and Flit shared a quick glance before resuming their work.

“You know, something has been bothering me since you saved us,” Treble said.

“What is it?” Breeze asked.

“The princess was surprised at who it was that took Candy, but you two weren’t even phased by it,” Treble said. Flit and Breeze exchanged looks again.

“Go ahead. Tell them,” Mixer said.

“Tell us what?” Candy asked. Breeze sighed.

“Because, we already encountered something similar before,” he said.

“Like what?” Treble asked.

“A pegasus that was supposed to be dead for a long time came back and tried to beat me up,” Flit said.

“What?” was the collective cry.

“A shade so far in Equestria?” Solid Gear asked.

“Not just any shade. Rainbow Dash,” Flit said.

“The old element of Loyalty?” Violet runner asked.

“The very one,” Flit confirmed.

“Then, does that mean the others are back too?” asked Candy.

“We think so,” Breeze said.

“Then why isn’t the princess doing anything?” Solid Gear asked.

“Because she doesn’t want to fight her old friends,” Mixer said quietly. And I can understand her feelings, he thought to himself.

The group fell silently into their work. After sorting the appropriate parts, the six of them started to begin actually building them into the golem. Breeze, Solid Gear, and Violet Runner each had mechanical experience, so they all worked on separate pieces of the project while the others just helped by fetching parts and tools when need be.

“Hey, Solid, how’s that arm coming?” Breeze called out after awhile, working on some of the armor plating.

“I have the framework placed, but I’m having a slow time welding it together,” she called back.

“Maybe if you used a higher powered torch it would work better,” Violet suggested, attaching the left leg to the golem.

“But then I run the risk of damaging my leg,” she explained.

“Then trade me places. I can handle the heat,” Breeze said. They switched places, Breeze welding the arm frame, while Solid Gear worked on the armor plating.

“Just make sure to leave room for the canon, we don’t want to put it together just to have to cut it apart again,” Solid said.

“It’s just going to be a crystal lined tube, right?” he asked.

“Well, if you want to call it that, yeah,” she said.

“So, what are you going to do after he’s fixed?” Candy asked.

“I don’t know. Maybe by then the princess will realize that we need him out there, not locked up here,” Breeze said.

“If we’d had this thing at Van Hoover, I doubt that we would have been pushed back at all,” Violet Runner said.

“If he would have been at Van Hoover, we wouldn’t be here,” Treble said.

“Besides, we won,” Solid Gear said.

“Well, I think that should do it,” Violet Runner said, finishing attaching the leg. The golem let out a jet of steam as it powered up and tested the new appendage. Satisfied with it, he went into a resting position, activating the repaired machinery inside.

“Well, the arm will take a day or two to finish,” Breeze said.

“We don’t have that kind of time,” Mixer said.

“Well, since I’m done with the leg, I can help Breeze with the arm,” Violet Runner said.

“Yeah, and maybe this armor plating will get done with some help,” Solid Gear said.

“I can help,” Flit said, moving over to her.

“Is there anything we can do?” Treble asked
.
“Keep the parts coming,” Solid Gear said.

“Alright,” Candy said, ready to give them whatever parts they asked for. The six of them worked into the night, but as it neared midnight they had to stop. Despite the unfinished job, they had accomplished a lot and a small round of congratulations was circulated.

“Sorry we couldn’t finish the arm, but the plating is ready to be installed,” Breeze said to Mixer after the others had gone off to find beds.

“You did all that you could,” Mixer said.

“Well, I’ll see you in the morning,” Breeze yawned. The golem sat in silence as the young pegasus went to his bed.

“Sorry Breeze, but you won’t,” Mixer said after he was sure the pegasus was asleep. A blue glow enveloped the parts around the golem, and then they started to levitate. Mixer moved the armor plates into place and riveted them to the chassis, reinforcing the plating, and adding two prominent ridges along the top of the otherwise smooth chassis. After the armor plates were affixed, he lifted up the incomplete arm, and attached it to the socket. He tested the unplated arm, this time tipped with four claws, and found that, while still a little stiff, it would work.

“At least they were kind enough to finish the mechanisms,” Mixer said as he became encased in a blue haze. The golem’s movements were almost silent as it crept out of the workshop and into the cavern. There were few guards around, and those that were didn’t notice as the partially concealed golem moved to the lift.

--

In Van Hoover, the defenders had been busy repairing what damage they could since the attack.

“Hey Dawn Buckler, anything new?” Elyl asked.

“Actually yes. The Lunar Guard Airship will be here today to take a group of ponies back to Canterlot,” Dawn Buckler said.

“Who?” Elyl asked.

“You, Soulless, Chaotic, and the Knights of the Everfree,” he replied, listing the ponies.

“Well, that does seem to leave you most of the defenders,” Elyl said.

“I believe the princess will be giving you a mission personally, so don’t worry about us,” Dawn Buckler said.

“Well, we’re not leaving yet,” Elyl said.

“True, but I’m sure it will not be long,” Dawn Buckler said.


Around noon, the airship descended to pick up the ponies that had been asked for, including Violet.
“Hey Quicksilver,” Chaotic greeted the head of the Lunar Guard as they boarded the airship.

“Hey,” he replied.

“Oh, and I hope you don’t mind that we’re bringing another pony with us,” Chaotic said.

“Who?” Quicksilver asked.

“The new Element of Laughter,” Soulless said, walking up the boarding ramp with Violet.

“Element of Laughter?” Quicksilver questioned.

“Yes, and I’m sure that the princess would appreciate it if we got her to her as soon as possible,” Soulless said.

“In that case, let’s go,” Quicksilver said, walking back to the cabin. Soon the airship was back in the air and heading towards Canterlot, carrying its precious cargo.

--

Guards were crawling all over the caverns as they searched for traces of the missing golem, while Twilight was in the workshop questioning the six ponies that had been working on it.
“How could it have just walked away, without any guards seeing or hearing anything?” Twilight questioned.

“By all rights, it shouldn’t have. It wasn’t complete yet, and all of us were asleep,” Solid Gear said.

“Then where did it go?” the princess asked, getting more upset by the moment.

“We don’t know. I don’t think it could have gotten outside the shop without everypony hearing it, and it didn’t just vanish,” Violet Runner said.

“And what do you two think happened?” Twilight asked Breeze and Flit. “After all, you did build it.”

“I don’t know! Do you think I would just be sitting here if I knew where he was?!” Breeze bit back. Twilight was taken aback by the sudden burst of emotion from the usually level headed pegasus.

“What is that all about?” Treble asked.

“You wouldn’t understand,” Breeze said.

“Then enlighten us,” Twilight said.

“How would you feel if your horn just decided to jump off your head and walk away, or if you wings got a mind of their own and flew off without you?” Breeze retorted. “Or if you lost your ment-” he bit back on his comment, avoiding mentioning Celestia for fear of putting off Twilight more than she already was.

“But you can just build another golem,” Twilight shot back.

“Not like that one...” Breeze said.

“What’s so special about that thing anyway?” Twilight pried. All the other ponies looked intently at him for an answer, except Flit, who was sharing a worried look with him.

“He’s special because he’s sentient, and a good friend,” Breeze said finally.

“Sentient? As in, has a mind of its own, sentient?” Solid Gear questioned, mouth hanging open.

“Yes, and he was a good friend,” Flit said.

“So it did just walk off on its own,” Twilight said. “Brilliant.”

“Yes, but I don’t know where he went,” Breeze said.

Twilight sighed. “Then I’ll have the guards search for it. But once it gets found, it’s not leaving the castle. Am I understood?” Twilight asked.

“Yes princess,” Breeze said, defeated.

--

Rainbow Dash was sitting on the top of a mountain, overlooking the valley stretched out below, and thinking about her failure.

“I want a chance to prove my loyalty, but I can’t go back after failing,” she cried despairingly. She turned around, hearing something rustling behind her. Darkstar stepped out of a shadowy portal and walked up next to her.

“I’m sorry! I’ve failed you,” Rainbow Said, bowing low to the ground.

“Rise, for you still have a chance to show me your loyalty,” Darkstar said. Rainbow Dash lifted herself from the ground, tears in her eyes.

“Really?” she asked.

“Yes. There is a golem on its way to the frozen north. I want you to destroy it,” he said. Rainbow Dash snapped instantly to a salute.

“Yes sir,” she said, and flew off. Darkstar chuckled to himself as she flew off.

“Now off to Rarity,” he said, stepping back into his shadowy portal.

--

Rarity was wandering aimlessly through the Everfree Forest, killing anything that moved, and blindly attacking some things that didn’t. She turned her blade towards a new rustling sound, and saw a dark portal form before her.

“What are you doing here?” she asked the dark alicorn, her voice dripping with venom.

“Why, I am coming here to give you the opportunity to destroy the golem that killed Spike,” Darkstar said.

“Where is it?” she snapped.
“Just step through here,” Darkstar said, gesturing to the portal. Rarity wasted no time in dashing into the black void. It snapped shut behind her as it dumped her where Darkstar needed.

“Only two more failures left...” he mused, creating another portal.

--

Mixer was crashing through the last bits of forest before he would reach the open plains leading to the frozen north. I wonder what Twilight is doing now? He wondered as he crashed towards the edge of the forest. In all his long years of existence, Mixer had never considered his own safety in doing what had to be done, and now was no different.

Long ago, he would have led a force to undertake this mission, but now, with all his friends either dead or gone, he alone was left to go on this mission he felt he had to do. The mission was this: go to the Crystal Empire and find the elements that they didn’t have, or die trying; and he knew that the outcome was most likely going to be the latter. Lowering himself farther down towards the ground, the golem burst through the last layer of underbrush.

But he had already cheated death once, right?

--

Char was following the noise of whatever it was that had been making such a ruckus. The thing had smashed about behind her, and she had followed the noise to the path it had torn through the forest. The zebra was surprised to find square footprints that were almost as large as she was. She followed the tracks until she could feel the trees thin out, allowing warm sunlight to reach her coat.

She warily continued to follow the tracks, not sure of what she would find at the end of them, but following her sense that whatever it was was troubled. Char liked to help ponies, and even critters, that had problems, and she was pulled on by her curiosity as to what could be so troubled.

Char started to shiver, crossing from the grassy plains to the snowy wasteland that was the frozen north. She continued to follow the tracks until she could no longer feel them, and stopped, puzzling over how something of that size could just stop leaving tracks.

After a few moments of thinking, she tried to follow the sound of the wind whistling across a rock, and huddled behind the stone, shivering in the cold. Char was regretting following whatever it was, as she felt the snow start to soak her fur, making her even colder.

Suddenly, she heard something lumber towards her from out in the driving snow.

“Don’t worry now, I’ve got you,” a slightly metallic voice said as two large arms fell to either side of Char, blocking the wind and radiating warmth.

“Thank you,” she said to the voice.

“What is a zebra like you doing way out here by yourself?” the voice asked.
“I was trying to find what made some large tracks in a forest a long way back, and I followed them trying to find whatever it was. I didn’t know that it would lead me to this cold place,” Char said.

“Where did you come from?” the voice asked.

“I... well, I don’t know. I was in the Everfree forest, and then this manticore picked me up and carried me to another forest. I have no idea where I was, or where I am now,” she said.

“Couldn’t you tell? This is the frozen north,” the voice said.

“No. As you can see, I’m blind,” the zebra replied.

“How did you track me then?” the voice questioned.

“I followed your troubled feelings,” she said.

“Well, I can’t just leave you here, but I can’t take you with me,” the voice said after pausing for awhile.

“So what are you going to do?” she asked.

“I’ll stay here with you. It’s almost nightfall, and you won't last the night out here without protection,” the voice said.

“Thank you,” she said.

“By the way, my name is Mixer,” the voice said.

“And mine is Char,” the zebra replied.

“Well Char, I guess I should tell you; I’m not a pony,” Mixer said, settling his body into the snow.

“I could tell. But what are you? A dragon?” Char asked.

“No, I am the soul of a pony inside a clockwork golem,” Mixer said.

“What?” Char questioned.

“It’s a long tale, and I doubt you would want to hear all of it, so I’ll give you the short version,” Mixer said. “I had my soul put into a crystal long ago, and I resided inside a book for over a century, until a pegasus and his changeling friend made the body I use now.”

“I sense great sadness in your words,” Char said.

“Yes, there is much to be sad about for one such as myself,” the golem said.

“Then please tell me what’s wrong,” Char said soothingly.

“I have to fight some of my closest friends, and the son of the one I swore my life to protect,” he replied.

“That does sound troubling,” she said.

“Yes, but it is my problem. Do not feel obligated to take on my troubles,” Mixer said.

“But surely you do not have to deal with it alone?” Char asked. The golem sat in a contemplative silence for a few moments before answering.

“No. This is my mission, and my demons to face,” Mixer said. “Now get some sleep; you must be exhausted after walking all day.”Char grudgingly accepted, and curled up between the two warm arms. The renegade golem waited until he was sure that she was asleep before letting his mind wander, thinking about what was soon to come. He even allowed himself to have some rest for the first time in two hundred years.

--

Twilight was sitting in the throne room, brooding over the fact that a sentient machine which was extremely dangerous and possibly unstable was somewhere out in Equestria, roaming around unrestricted. As the princess hung her head in despair at the situation, a flash of light blinded her. Celestia appeared before the troubled alicorn, with Luna and Sombra in hoof.

“Celestia! Luna! What are you doing here?” Twilight asked in shock.

“Princess Twilight, we have come here to aid you in defeating my son,” Luna said.

“To help?” Twilight asked, mouth hanging slightly open. Celestia and Luna had never directly intervened before, even during their own rule, with matters such as the one before her.

“Yes. Darkstar has one of the Element bearers, and another one is close to falling into his clutches,” Sombra said. “It is vital that we keep him from harming either of them.”

“To this end, we will be personally helping. And I am bringing a pony from the past to aid us,” Celestia said, her horn glowing a golden hue. A shimmering white portal opened before her, and through it a dark blue pegasus with a full moon cutie mark stepped out. He was adorned in a full set of Lunar Guard armor.

“Celestia. What’s going on?” the stallion asked.

“Red, you are needed here to help defeat Luna’s son,” Celestia said.

“You mean Shooting Star, the little colt?” he asked.

“Red, this is the future; my son isn’t a colt anymore,” Luna said. “He’s fully grown, and we have to stop him from killing the new bearers of the Elements of Harmony.”

“Whatever you say Luna,” the guard replied with a hint of hesitation. “I guess I can help stop him.”
“It won’t be easy. He has an army of shades to protect him, not to mention Chrysalis,” Twilight said.

“Oh, I believe that they will not be as effective as you may believe against us,” Celestia said.

“How so?” Twilight and Luna questioned.

“You shall see,” was the mysterious response.

“But how are we going to attack them? Almost all of our forces were at Van Hoover to repel the attack, and they are still recovering,” Twilight said.

“Don’t fret. I have taken the liberty of asking the best combatants among the defenders to come here,” Celestia said.

“Who?” Red asked.

“I believe you may know one or two of them,” Celestia replied. Do you remember Soulless?”

“The gloomy unicorn that married Rainbow Dash?” Red asked. The white alicorn nodded.

“He’s still alive, and I think you may know Chaotic Note,” Celestia said.

“Chaotic… I know I’ve heard that name before,” Red pondered.

“Well, there will be time to remember when all is said and done,” Sombra said. “But now, we must prepare.”

--

One of the many benefits of a body made of clockwork was that, if you had the mind to count the ticking, you could almost set it to a clock. Mixer shook himself awake when the gears hit near their millionth rotation. The area around him was slowly lighting up. He waited a bit before waking up the zebra that was sleeping in between his arms.

“Hmm,” Char grumbled, rolling over.

“It’s time to wake up now,” Mixer said.

“Is it morning already?” she asked groggily.

“Yes, and it’s time for you to return to somewhere safe,” Mixer said. The zebra begrudgingly rose, stretching her legs.

“And where would that be?” Char asked.

“The Crystal Empire is the closest, but by far the least safe. Van Hoover isn’t much of a good choice either,” Mixer said, considering his options.
“What is wrong with the Crystal Empire?” she questioned.

“I could send you there, but you would have to be very careful and avoid drawing attention to yourself,” Mixer said.

“How?” she asked. “I am a blind zebra; I tend to stick out amongst my own people.”

“Then you can-” Mixer stopped in mid sentence. “Get down!” Char felt a metal hand close around her, and the sensation of her body being swung around. A thud reached her ears as something impacted against the snow.

“Run!” Mixer shouted, setting her down and pushing her in a direction. Char did her best, and kept running as the sounds of combat came from behind her.

Mixer was swinging his arm at one of the assailants, as she and three others rushed out of the snow. His eye glowed bright crimson as he looked over the four mares that he had once counted among his closest friends. Pinkie, Rainbow Dash, Rarity, and Fluttershy.

The cyan pegasus managed to evade the robotic arm, diving under it and punching into his metal chassis. The sound of her hoof reverberating off the metal rang out across the cold tundra.

“Ow,” Rainbow Dash complained, shaking out her hoof. Mixer bellowed as he grabbed at the pegasus with his clawed left arm. She tried to fly back, but he caught her leg. She cried out in pain as the claws pierced her leg, producing a thick, black ichor. A howl sounded as Rarity charged the metal behemoth, brandishing her sabre.

“Die!” she yelled as she jumped, attempting to plunge the blade into the chassis. The metal dug in and stuck, but didn’t penetrate the new armor plating. The unicorn soon hung off the front of the golem, gripping her sword.

Rarity squeaked as a metal hand grabbed her and pulled her and the sword away, holding her in front of Mixer’s angrily glowing eye. There was a sickening crunch as the golem’s hand clenched into a fist, and he dropped the broken form of the unicorn to the ground. The shade quickly melted away into the ground.

“Monster!” Rainbow Dash yelled. She was quickly silenced by a blast of pure energy from the canon she had been suspended above. This time, there wasn’t even a trace of the shade left.

Pinkamena let out a savage roar as she jumped with superpony strength and launched herself above the golem, coming down on its chassis with an axe. The sharp edge bit deep into the armor plating, but Pinkamena kicked off the golem and did a back flip through the air before it could crush her like Rarity.

The golem extended its left arm and built up a charge, electricity arcing along the appendage as it collected energy. Pinkamena dodged the attack as a bolt of lightning flew at her blindingly fast, vaporizing a patch of snow. The golem fired three more bolts at the pink mare, each time missing.

Pinkamena produced another axe and threw it, lodging it in the unplated left arm. The golem staggered backwards from the hit, appraising the damage to its arm. The pink mare didn’t hesitate, and charged at the golem with incredible speed, jumping up and doing a double kick to the center of the chassis.

The golem staggered backwards farther, almost toppling over. Mixer struggled to keep himself from falling. Desperately, he threw out the only attack he had left in his position.

“All you have to do is take a cup of flour...” the golem began. The pink mare stopped dead in her tracks.

“No...” she said breathlessly.

“Add it to the mix...”

“No.”

“Then you take a little something sweet not sour...”

“Stop it!” she screamed.

“Then some salt, just a pinch...”

“STOP IT!” the pink mare roared, holding her hooves over her ears.

“Baking these treats is such a cinch...”

“Add a teaspoon of vanilla...” Pinkamena whispered shakily, a look of insanity on her face.

“Add a little more and you count to four...”

“And you never get your fill-a!” the mare finished, singing. A touch of color was added to her mane and coat, and it fluffed up. The color was quickly changed to crimson as four blades pierced through her.

“You never could resist a song,” the golem said coldly. A look of knowing and horror came over Pinkie as she recognized the voice.

“Mixer... why?” she breathed, before her head slumped down. Her form fell apart as well, the shadows that she had been composed of drifting into the ground.

“Now for you,” Mixer said, looking over at the one shade who had not participated in the fighting. Fluttershy looked around in panic, faint traces of shadow all she could find left of her friends.

The pegasus closed her eyes as the golem picked her up; she expected to be crushed like Rarity. To her surprise, the only thing that happened was a puff of steam from the golem.

“Damn...” Mixer said. Suddenly, something wrapped around his legs, and a clawed paw dug into the chassis just to the right of the eye. Fluttershy was tossed clear as the golem turned his eye to face his new assailant. She recovered in the air, and turned around just as he did.

“Discord?!” Fluttershy and Mixer questioned in unison. The only answer was the groaning of metal as Discord tried to rip open the golem’s back.

“Discord stop, I wasn't going to hurt her!” Mixer cried.

“Mixer?” the startled question came from the draconequus. The paw let go, and Discord’s tail unwound itself from Mixer’s legs as he disengaged from the grapple. Mixer reached out and grabbed Fluttershy, pushing her into Discord’s arms.

“Take her somewhere safe,” Mixer ordered.

“And when did you start bossing me around?” Discord questioned indignantly.

“Discord, take her and go,” Mixer said, his tone serious. For once, the disjointed creature lost his typical smirk and adopted a serious expression.
“Alright,” Discord nodded, disappearing as easily as the others had, leaving the metal golem alone.

“I’m sorry,” Mixer said, his eye fading to blue. He fell to the ground, ashamed. He knew that they had not been his actual friends, but that didn’t make the brutality he had just shown any less severe. They may have been dead, but now they were gone.

“I’m so sorry,” he said again, rising. Legs pumping, he set off at a pace as fast as he could muster towards the Crystal Empire, which was almost within view. Clusters of shades about the city spotted the golem as it approached, but any forms of resistance were driven into the ground.

Mixer had only one focus now. The one who had turned his friends into the monsters he had just slain.

Darkstar.

Author's Note:

Yeah...
Next chapter, things get a little more action-y