• Published 5th Apr 2013
  • 4,455 Views, 633 Comments

Dueling is Magic! Many Futures - Wolfgang



When a man called the Black King threatens the balance across dimensions, Twilight and her friends must travel to Neo Domino City and battle for the fate of all worlds!

  • ...
10
 633
 4,455

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 26: Stand Up, Twilight! Wisel ∞ LV5 vs. Supreme Arcanite Magician

Dueling is Magic!
Many Futures

Chapter 26
Stand Up, Twilight! Wisel ∞ LV5 vs. Supreme Arcanite Magician

/*********************\

Battles raged on. Monsters roared as they fought and obliterated one another. A violet unicorn remained focused on her own battle, staring down the man who sought entrance to the base.

Life Point Count
Aporia: 4000
Twilight: 400

Meklord Emperor Wisel ∞
ATK/5300
LV 1

Arcanite Magician
ATK/2400
LV 7
SC: 2

“I activate ‘Spell Power Grasp’, placing a Spell Counter on ‘Arcanite Magician’,” said Twilight. “And since I played a Spell Card, I place a Spell Counter on ‘Magical Citadel of Endymion’.”

Arcanite Magician
ATK/3400
SC: 3

Magical Citadel of Endymion
SC: 1

“I activate Arcanite Magician’s effect. By removing a Spell Counter from a card I control, I can destroy one card on the field. I’ll use the Spell Counter on Magical Citadel to destroy Wisel Infinity!”

The lone light circling the tower behind Twilight flew into an arc and raced down toward the jewel on Arcanite Magician’s staff. It hit the orb and began to shine from within. The wizard aimed the shining jewel at the giant robot hovering over Aporia and fired a burst of energy at the robot’s chest.

“Trap Card, ‘Infinity Wall’, activate!” said Aporia. “If I control a ‘Meklord Emperor’, all effects that would destroy cards on the field are negated during this turn.”

A wall made of tiny, glowing infinity symbols erected itself in front of the Meklord Emperor. The energy from Arcanite Magician’s staff struck the wall and dissipated against it.

“Then this is my chance!” said Twilight. “Arcanite Magician, attack Granel Attack with Arcane Blast!” The magician released another burst of energy, this one directed at the bulky left arm

“Skiel Guard’s effect activates and negates your attack,” Aporia said with a sweep of his hand. Wisel thrust its right arm forward and a white barrier appeared before it. The magical attack struck the barrier, exploded, then vanished.

“What?!” said Twilight.

“Infinity Wall does not negate my monsters’ effects,” said Aporia. “Did you really think it would be that easy?”

Augh, how could I miss that? Twilight thought. She blinked. Her vision blurred. That must be it... I’m exhausted from my duel with Rainbow Dash... and from maintaining this Duel Disk for so long.

Okay, let’s think. His Meklord Emperor can’t attack because of Spellbinding Circle. But if he draws another card that can shut it down like ‘Electro-Meknetic Pulse’, I’ll be in trouble. I’ve only got two cards in my hoof... hand... ugh, I need a nap. Twilight shook her head vigorously. Get it together, Twilight! I can play this card to increase my resources, but that would mean giving up my one defense... but I need to break through Aporia’s defense and take out Wisel Infinity! And besides, even if he can’t get rid of Spellbinding Circle, he might try to weaken Arcanite Magician and attack with Explosive Magician... I have to take the risk.

“I play ‘Magical Planter’,” she said. “With this, I can send a Continuous Trap I control to the Graveyard to draw two cards from my deck.” Two cards held by Twilight’s magic floated away from her deck as the mystic circle holding Wisel Infinity in place disappeared. This is perfect! “I Set three cards and end my turn!”

“My turn,” said Aporia. “I activate Parts Exchange’s effect, replacing ‘Wisel Top’ with ‘Granel Top’!” The robot’s head vanished in a flash of light. An orange, serpentine machine appeared. Its shape was that of a seahorse. It spun around and slid its tail into the vacant spot on top of the robot. Half of it slid up, revealing a glowing red eye. The machine’s casing turned bright white to match the rest of the Meklord Emperor.

Granel Top
ATK/500
LV 1

“Because this is the third time I used its effect, Parts Exchange is now destroyed,” Aporia said. “However, I also get to draw one card from this. Now, Meklord Emperor Wisel Infinity, attack Arcanite Magician! And at this moment, Granel Top’s effect activates, negating the effects of your Synchro Monster!” The red eye in the robot’s skinny head emitted red waves. A white glow appeared around Twilight’s monster as three lights left his body.

“Oh no!” gasped Twilight. “That means Arcanite Magician loses his Spell Counters and all of his Attack Points!”

Arcanite Magician
ATK/400
LV 7

“Go, Grand Slaughter Cannon!” Aporia shouted. Wisel aimed the fish-shaped cannon arm at Twilight’s monster and fired a wide beam of orange energy at the magician.

“I activate ‘Defense Draw’!” said Twilight. “The damage I take from this battle is reduced to zero and I get to draw one card.”

“Granel Attack’s effect activates!” Aporia continued. Another beam of energy raced out of the barrel and pierced the ground. Tendrils of light snaked out of the Meklord’s chest and into the portal that had formed. “When an ‘Infinity’ monster I control destroys a Synchro Monster in battle, it absorbs that monster!” The tendrils pulled a limp Arcanite Magician out of the portal and turned him to light before pulling him into the robot’s chest.

Meklord Emperor Wisel ∞
ATK/5700
LV 1

“Arcanite Magician!” cried Twilight.

Aporia laughed loud and deep. “Two of your Synchro Monsters have become food for Wisel Infinity! You were a fool to free my Meklord Emperor! I Set two cards face-down and end my turn.”

“My turn!” said Twilight. She looked at the card she held with her magic. Her eyes widened. “I play a Continuous Spell: ‘Spell Absorption’. As long as this is in play, I gain five hundred Life Points each time a Spell Card is activated. Next, I activate ‘Spell Shattering Arrow’! This destroys all face-up Spell Cards on your field and deals five hundred points of damage for each one!”

A giant silver arrow formed above Twilight and raced toward Meklord Emperor Wisel. It wedged itself into the cavity. Two orbs of light emerged from within and took on the forms of Twilight’s magicians. They smiled at her before vanishing with the arrow.

Life Point Count
Aporia: 3000
Twilight: 900

“Insolent little... I activate ‘Infinite Feast’! During the turn that Synchros equipped to an ‘Infinity’ monster I control are sent to the Graveyard, my Meklord Emperor can absorb them once more! Then you take six hundred damage for each one equipped, whilst I gain six hundred Life Points for each!”

“No way!”

“Continue to feast, Wisel!” Aporia laughed. Tentacles whipped out of the Meklord’s chest and shot toward the ground.

“Trap Card, ‘Descending Lost Star’!” said Twilight. “I can Special Summon a Synchro Monster from my Graveyard in Defense Mode. Its Level is reduced by one and its Defense Points become zero.”

The robot’s tentacles slid into the earth once again. Some pulled Explosive Magician out, while a few others remained. Arcanite Magician flew out of the ground with the tentacles chasing after him. They moved to wrap around his limbs, but missed and grasped only air. The magician knelt down before Twilight with his staff held to his chest.

Arcanite Magician
DEF/0
LV 6

“It matters not,” said Aporia. “I can still drain six hundred Life Points from you!”

Aporia held out his hand. A crimson band of energy connected to Twilight’s horn. A white circle appeared around the two of them and Twilight screamed as she felt pain wrack her body and her strength leave her. She fell forward onto her knees.

Life Point count
Aporia: 3600
Twilight: 300

“What... what was that?!” Twilight demanded. “That white light... what did you do?”

“I have decided to stop playing games with you,” Aporia answered nonchalantly. “From this point forward, the damage you receive will be real. It will not be enough to kill you, of course... I believe the Black King would prefer to have you alive. But you should find it incredibly hard to focus.” Aporia smirked.

“I’ve been through worse,” Twilight said as she struggled to get her hooves underneath her. She at last stood up straight. She was panting, her breathing fast and raspy. Beads of sweat ran down the side of her face.

“Still have some fight in you, I see.”

“I’ve got a lot of fight in me. And I’m not through with you just yet! I play ‘Assault Mode Activate’! I Release ‘Arcanite Magician’ and Special Summon from my deck ‘Arcanite Magician/Assault Mode’!”

Bright orange light began to shine beneath the magician’s robe. He grabbed one shoulder of the robe and pulled it away, tossing it to the side. Black armor with orange ridges gleamed like dark fire. Bright green gemstones were embedded into the tall shoulders, the crest of the helmet, the chest, and the gauntlets. The two gems in the shoulders of the armor began to glow.

Arcanite Magician/Assault Mode
ATK/2900
LV 9
SC: 2

“I activate Arcanite Magician/Assault Mode’s effect! By removing two Spell Counters from anywhere on my field, I can destroy all cards you control. I played two Spells this turn, so my Magical Citadel has two Spell Counters. Those are the ones I’ll use! Arcanite Magician/Assault Mode, destroy Meklord Emperor Wisel Infinity! Arcane Explosion!”

Every green gem and the orange ridges of the wizard’s armor began to glow. Fire grew from the ridges of the armor as the magician drew his arms in. When it seemed that he would be consumed by the fire, he threw his arms to the sides. Light and fire burst from his body and raced toward the Meklord Emperor.

“I am not so easily defeated, and neither is Meklord Emperor Wisel!” Aporia shouted. “Activate Trap, ‘Core Reset’! By Tributing a ‘Wisel’, ‘Skiel’ or ‘Granel’ monster I control, I can Special Summon its ‘Core’ monster from my Graveyard!” Meklord Emperor Wisel Infinity vanished, and the other parts exploded. The egg-like machine appeared on Aporia’s field just as the fire began to across it. The flames engulfed the machine and destroyed it. “Wise Core’s effect activates!” shouted Aporia. “Return to me, Meklord Emperor Wisel Infinity!”

Red lights flared up within the burning fire. The face and blade of Meklord Emperor Wisel Infinity tore through the inferno.

Meklord Emperor Wisel ∞
ATK/2500
LV 1

*****

Rainbow Dash flew back to the base, steaming D-Wheels stranded behind her.

Wow, those guys were easy to beat, she thought. I hope this isn’t the best they have to throw at us, because I’m getting bored already. I just hope Twilight’s doing alright...

She saw the base in the distance. It looked different, though.

Looks like Twilight played Magical Citadel. But... wait, what’s that monster?

She looked around below her, trying to spot an ally. She saw Jack standing just beyond the gates. ‘Red Dragon Archfiend’ was tearing through monsters like tissue paper.

“Jack!” she called out. Jack looked up and saw the pegasus diving toward her.

“Rainbow Dash,” he replied. “Are you alright?”

“I’m fine. Ran out of guys to fight, though. I was heading back to check on Twilight. She played her Field Spell, but the big guy’s got another big guy on the field. Do you know what it is?”

Jack turned around. His eyes widened.

“That, Rainbow Dash, might be the toughest opponent Twilight will face,” he said.

“What is it?” Dash asked.

“A Synchro Killer,” Jack answered. “It’s one of the most fearsome monsters Yusei and I ever faced. It’s called ‘Meklord Emperor Wisel Infinity’.”

“What do you mean by ‘Synchro Killer’?”

“I mean that summoning Synchro Monsters against it is a dangerous strategy to use. It can absorb them and their Attack Points. If Twilight uses any Synchro Monsters against Aporia, he can turn their power on her.”

“Oh no... she uses at least three! Jack, we’ve got to get back there!”

Jack nodded. “I’m not finished here, but you go on ahead.”

“Will you be okay?”

“I was once the King of the dueling world. These peons are no match for my absolute power!” Jack returned his attention to the three Dark Troopers that faced him. “Do you hear me, you scum?! You are nothing more than clowns before the true King of Neo Domino City!”

Rainbow Dash took off through the sky again, flapping her wings as hard as she could.

Twilight... be okay!

*****

“Meklord Emperor Wisel... back to its original form, huh?” Twilight panted.

“Because the monster resurrected by Core Reset was destroyed by an effect, you are allowed to draw one card,” said Aporia. “However, this also means that my monsters cannot be destroyed by card effects until the start of the End Phase.”

Twilight drew a card. “At least you don’t have my Explosive Magician anymore,” she said. “I activate ‘Spell Power Grasp’ and place a Spell Counter on Arcanite Magician/Assault Mode. I also activate ‘Swords of Revealing Light’, so you can’t attack for three turns.” Three swords made of light appeared in front of Aporia and the Meklord Emperor. A faint barrier could be seen between them. Two lights appeared between the towers of the Magical Citadel, and the gem on the Arcanite Magician’s helmet lit up.

Arcanite Magician/Assault Mode
ATK/3900
LV 9
SC: 3

Magical Citadel of Endymion
SC: 3

Life Point Count
Aporia: 3600
Twilight: 1300

“I end my turn.”

“My turn,” said Aporia as he drew a card. “I activate the secondary effect of ‘Core Reset’. By removing it and a Level One ‘Core’ monster from my Graveyard, my Meklord Emperor can equip a Synchro Monster from your Graveyard.”

“No! Not again!” The portal in the ground opened once more. The mechanical monster’s chest opened, its light-tentacles reached in and pulled out the limp magician. “Please! Please, stop!” Twilight cried.

Meklord Emperor Wisel ∞
ATK/5000
LV 1

“I activate ‘Treasure of the Wise Emperor’,” Aporia continued. “For every ‘Wisel’ monster I control other than the Meklord Emperor, I can draw one card. However, I cannot conduct my Battle Phase or summon monsters this turn, except for ‘Wisel’ monsters.”

“You...”

Aporia drew four new cards and smiled. “This is too perfect. I activate the Continuous Spell, ‘Seal of the Wise Emperor’. When activated, this card lets me add a ‘Wisel’ or ‘Wise Core’ monster from my deck to my hand. In addition, while this card is face-up, monsters cannot be Special Summoned from the Extra Deck, except for Synchro Monsters.”

“So are you adding a card to your hand?”

“I am. And I shall activate the effect of that card: ‘Wise Core Level Three’! Its effect can be activated when I control ‘Meklord Emperor Wisel Infinity’ and any four different ‘Wisel’, ‘Skiel’, or ‘Granel’ monsters. I send ‘Wise Core Level Three’ from my hand to the Graveyard and pay half my Life Points. In exchange, I can send all of my Level One Meklord Emperor Parts to the Graveyard, and then Special Summon a Level Three ‘Wisel’ version of each one!”

The head, legs and arms of Wisel Infinity shattered and vanished in a flash of light. Four new machines appeared in their places. The right arm was replaced by a snail. The new left arm resembled no animal twilight had ever seen before, almost like a bird or a flying insect.

The machine that appeared over the Meklord Emperor’s body seemed to resemble a rabbit, but its tail was much longer and ended in a leaf-like structure. The machine below was shaped like a vampire bat, red lines criss-crossing across its wings.

Each piece transformed, folding and unfolding into different shapes to combine with the Meklord Emperor. Three blades extended with the left arm, which then attached itself to the chest. The snail took on the shape of the right arm, the “shell” moving down to the wrist to form a shield as the shoulder also combined with the chest.

The rabbit folded its feet into its body and slid into place on top of the chest. The body of the bat extended and split, its head tilted up and its neck lengthening slightly. The wings folded in slightly, but remained partially extended. The legs attached themselves to the body of the Meklord Emperor with a flash of lightning.

Wisel Attack 3
ATK/1600
LV 3

Wisel Carrier 3
ATK/1300
LV 3

Wisel Guard 3
DEF/2000
LV 3

Wisel Top 3
ATK/600
LV 3

Meklord Emperor Wisel ∞
ATK/6000
LV 1

“Six thousand Attack Points...” said Twilight.

“This is not even my full strength,” said Aporia. “You cannot hope to win, Twilight.”

Twilight started to fall, but caught herself. This is bad, she thought. I can’t keep going like this!

“I have one final card to play before ending my turn,” said Aporia. “‘Sword of the Wise Emperor’! First it combines the Levels of all ‘Wisel’ monsters I control, other than ‘Wisel Infinity’. Next, that number is reduced by one for each Level Three ‘Wisel’ monster I control, and two for each Level Five monster. Finally, all of your monsters with a Level less than or equal to that number are destroyed.”

“Four Level Three monsters... twelve minus four... Level Eight.” Twilight panted. She smiled. “Joke’s on you. Arcanite Magician/Assault Mode is Level Nine!”

“Don’t be so sure. ‘Sword of the Wise Emperor’ has another effect. By removing a ‘Wisel’ or ‘Wise Core’ monster from my Graveyard when I activate it, I can reduce the Levels of all monsters you control by the Level of that monster. I remove ‘Wise Core Level Three’!”

“What?!”

A white egg with glowing red lines appeared before Aporia. It opened and revealed a bright blue interior. It flashed and vanished. A point counter appeared next to ‘Arcanite Magician/Assault Mode’.

Arcanite Magician/Assault Mode
LV 6

Wisel Infinity swung its left arm, each of its blades colliding with Twilight’s monster, destroying it. Twilight shielded her face with a hoof.

Normally, when an ‘Assault Mode’ monster is destroyed, it can summon its Synchro form from the Graveyard, she thought, but if I do that, Aporia will just absorb it again. I can’t let that happen! “When a card with Spell Counters is destroyed, that card’s Spell Counters are moved to the Magical Citadel.”

Magical Citadel of Endymion
SC: 9

“Due to the effect of ‘Sword of the Wise Emperor’, I cannot conduct my Battle Phase,” said Aporia. “Your turn.” One of the white swords in front of Aporia faded out of existence.

Twilight drew. I have to stop this! “By removing six Spell Counters from the Citadel, I can Special Summon ‘Endymion, the Master Magician’ from my hand or my Graveyard. Rise, Endymion!”

Six of the lights surrounding the Citadel converged in front of Twilight, forming a single ball of light. A portal expanded from the center. Through it stepped the regal Endymion.

Endymion, the Master Magician
ATK/2700
LV 7

“When Endymion is Special Summoned this way, he lets me recover a Spell Card from my Graveyard,” Twilight continued. “I choose ‘Spell Shattering Arrow’! Next, I’ll activate it! Explosive Magician and Seal of the Wise Emperor are destroyed!”

“Wisel Top Three’s effect activates,” said Aporia. “Once per turn, I can negate the activation of a Spell or Trap Card and destroy it.” A red laser flashed shot out of the face of the Meklord Emperor and swept across the field, slicing through Twilight’s Spell Card.

“Oh no... alright, let’s see... okay, I’ll activate Endymion’s effect instead! Once per turn, I can discard a Spell Card to destroy one card on the field. I destroy Meklord Emperor Wisel!”

“Wisel Carrier Three’s effect. Once per turn, one monster I control cannot be destroyed by my opponent’s cards.”

“This is bad,” said Twilight. “I end my turn.”

Aporia drew. “I activate ‘Lock-On Laser’. While this card is in play, you take two hundred points of damage each time you Set a Spell or Trap Card. Your move.” A new card appeared on Aporia’s field. The picture opened and a thick cable emerged, topped with a wide, flat machine with a thin gun barrel at the front. Another sword vanished. The “Spell Absorption” card lit up and a Life Point counter appeared next to Twilight.

Life Point Count
Twilight: 3300

Twilight drew, sighed, and ended her turn.

Aporia drew and Set a card, then passed. The final sword of light disappeared.

“Twilight!” came a distant cry. Twilight looked up.

“Rainbow Dash?” she said.

The cyan pegasus landed next to her. “Twilight! Are you okay?” she asked.

“I think so,” said Twilight. She stumbled. Rainbow Dash pushed against her to keep her from falling completely.

“Easy there!” she said. “No, you’re not okay. Anypony can see that. Twilight, you’re exhausted!”

“I can do this, Rainbow!” said Twilight. “I have to! If I don’t, Aporia might do the same thing to somepony else!”

“What do you mean, ‘the same thing’?” Dash asked.

“He did something... I don’t know what. But now the damage that we take is real. You’re right, I’m worn out. I used up a lot of energy dueling you, maintaining this Duel Disk, teleporting everyone down here, and now this... but I have to keep going!”

“Why? Let me take over!”

“I can’t, Dash! He has Explosive Magician! He’s stolen him three times now! He was eaten by that... that thing! That Meklord Emperor!”

“The Synchro Killer. I saw Jack. He told me what the Meklord Emperors are. Twilight, please, let me take over for you!”

“No, Dash. I’ll be fine. I can do this. I have to do this.”

“But why?! Why do you have to do it alone?”

“Because I was selfish. I hurt you girls with the secret that I kept.”

“And we forgave you for it! You don’t have to punish yourself!”

“This isn’t about punishment, Rainbow Dash. It’s about redeeming myself. Not just in your eyes, but in my own, and in the eyes of the humans. Jack, Yeager, Aki, Leo, Luna... I let them all down. I have to make it up to them. I’ll protect this base, no matter what. Besides...” A smile crept up Twilight’s face. “This guy took something from me, and I won’t quit until I get it back.”

“But do you have to do it alone?”

“Even if I’m dueling by myself... I’m not alone. Not if my friends are near.” Twilight smiled at Rainbow Dash. “Just stay with me and I’ll be okay.”

Rainbow Dash returned the smile and nodded. “Okay, Twi. Go get him!”

“My turn!” shouted Twilight. “This duel’s a long way from being done, Aporia! I activate ‘Forbidden Chalice’! This gives a monster eight hundred extra Attack Points, but that monster’s effects are negated. The target is Meklord Emperor Wisel!”

“Wisel Top Three’s effect activates, negating your card’s activation!” Aporia countered. A red laser sliced through the holographic image of Twilight’s card.

“Just what I was hoping you’d do. I play ‘Card of Sanctity’. Now both of us can draw until we’re holding six cards. And on top of that, I gain five hundred Life Points from Spell Absorption!”

Life Point Count
Twilight: 3800

“Time to end this! I equip Endymion with ‘Mage Power’, which gives him five hundred Attack and Defense Points for each Spell or Trap Card I control. Next, I activate ‘Diffusion Wave-Motion’. By paying a thousand Life Points, a Level Seven or higher Spellcaster-Type monster I control can attack each of your monsters!”

“However, Wisel Guard Three can intercept each of your attacks, and can survive one battle each turn,” Aporia countered. “What’s more, Wisel Carrier Three can protect one monster I control from being destroyed by battle or card effects once each turn. Even if you manage to destroy it, you cannot hope to defeat my Meklord Emperor. Wisel Guard Three has no Attack Points, and so Wisel Infinity will not lose any of its power!”

“Who said I had to attack Wisel Infinity?” said Twilight. “Once I get your Guard out of the way, I can take you out by attacking the head! I Set three cards face-down. Now that I have six Spell or Trap Cards in play, Endymion gains three thousand Attack Points from Mage Power!”

“But since you Set cards, Lock-On Laser inflicts two hundred damage for each!” said Aporia. The cable-mounted cannon fired a thin laser at Twilight, swiping at the ground in front of her.

Endymion, the Master Magician
ATK/5700
LV 7

Life Point Count
Twilight: 3200

“Battle!” shouted Twilight. “Endymion, attack Wisel Guard Three!”

“This is pointless,” said Aporia. “I activate the Trap Card ‘Shield of the Wise Emperor’! During this turn, one ‘Wisel’ monster I control in Defense Mode cannot be destroyed by battle. However, once during this turn, I draw one card if exactly one monster I control is destroyed.”

Endymion fired a blast of magical energy from his staff. Wisel Infinity raised its right arm in front of itself, a white energy field appearing around it. The magical attack struck the shield and vanished.

“I end my turn,” said Twilight. She was panting again.

“Twilight...” said Rainbow Dash.

“I’m alright,” Twilight replied.

“My turn,” said Aporia. “As this is my third Standby Phase since Seal of the Wise Emperor’s activation, it is destroyed. However, I activate its final effect: By removing all ‘Wisel’ monsters in my Graveyard from play, I can add up to four different Level Five ‘Wisel’ monsters from my deck to my hand. I add ‘Wisel Top Five’ and ‘Wisel Guard Five’ to my hand. Next, I Release ‘Wisel Guard’, ‘Carrier’, ‘Attack’ and ‘Top Three’ and Special Summon their Level Five forms!”

The extremities of Wisel Infinity vanished in swirling colors. Emerging from these rainbow spheres were five new mechanical animals: An alligator snapping turtle, a swan, a horned toad, and a spider.

The turtle’s spiked shell had glowing green lines running along the edges and points. It opened its mouth and skeletal hand slid out, its fingers curling and uncurling. The tail, ended in a three-pronged spike, the middle being much longer than the curved sides. The center spike connected to the right side of the Meklord Emperor.

The swan flew around to the left side of the Meklord on wings made of glowing green glass. The head connected to the Meklord, while the tail feathers spread out to form the hand. The wings folded over the body and formed a large, curving blade above the hand.

The horned toad hissed and folded its four legs beneath it in much the same way as the rabbit had before connecting to the top of the main body. Its head was entirely black, save for the glowing red lines that seemed to form a menacing face. The rest of the body was white and gray.

The spider was a white creature like the others, but had the telltale hourglass marking on its abdomen, albeit in a shade of bright green. The eight glowing red eyes blinked, then extended out of the head on segmented cables that connected to the underside of the Meklord Emperor and pulled it down to the head, which tilted upward and finished the connection by sliding its mandibles into the Meklord’s body.

Wisel Attack 5
ATK/2000
LV 5

Wisel Carrier 5
ATK/1800
LV 5

Wisel Guard 5
DEF/2800
LV 5

Wisel Top 5
ATK/700
LV 5

Meklord Emperor Wisel ∞
ATK/7000
LV 1

“Seven thousand Attack Points?!” said Rainbow Dash.

“That means that with its Level Five parts, Wisel Infinity has forty-five hundred Attack Points!” said Twilight. “The only way to beat that is to destroy the parts.”

“Best of luck to you in that endeavor,” said Aporia. “You will need it. How very fortunate for you that I cannot conduct my Battle Phase during the turn that I use Seal of the Wise Emperor’s final effect. I Set three cards face-down. Your move.”

Twilight drew. “Continuous Trap, ‘Call of the Haunted’!” she said. “With this, I can Special Summon a monster from my Graveyard in Attack Mode.”

“Wisel Top Five’s effect activates,” said Aporia. “While I control Wisel Infinity and another Level Five ‘Wisel’ monster, it gains two effects. The second lets me negate the activation of any Trap Card and destroy it.”

Twin lasers erupted from the eyes of the Meklord Emperor, slashing at Twilight’s card and destroying it.

“Fine,” she said. “Endymion, attack Wisel Top Five with Dark Magic Mastery!”

“Wisel Guard Five’s effect activates. When you declare an attack, I can change the target of that attack to this card. In addition to that, it cannot be destroyed by battle!”

“What?!”

Endymion fired a burst of dark purple energy at the robot. Its right arm moved to intercept the blast. The energy struck the spiked shield and dissipated harmlessly.

Twilight grit her teeth. “I Set a card face-down and end my turn.” Another laser blast threw dust into her face.

Life Point Count
Twilight: 3000

“My turn,” said Aporia. “My final assault begins here! Battle! Meklord Emperor Wisel Infinity, attack Endymion, the Master Magician!” As the robot raised its arm, Aporia said, “At this moment, I play the Trap ‘Wrath of the Wise Emperor’! When Wisel Infinity battles a monster in Attack Mode, this card equips itself to my Meklord Emperor, and changes your monster to Defense Mode. However, your monster will not be destroyed, and you will take no battle damage.”

He’s up to something. “I activate ‘Double Cyclone’!” shouted Twilight. “With this, I can destroy one Spell or Trap Card on each side of the field. I target my Citadel and your ‘Wrath of the Wise Emperor’!”

“Wisel Top Five’s effect negates its activation with its first effect!” said Aporia. “When a Spell Card is activated, I can negate its activation and destroy it.”

“Then I play a Trap: ‘Return Marker’! When you activate a monster effect that would inflict damage or destroy a card I control, that effect is negated and you take damage equal to your monster’s Attack Points.”

“Wisel Attack Five’s effect activates! If an ‘Infinity’ monster I control is attacking, I can negate the activation of a Trap card and destroy it!”

Twin lasers slashed through one of Twilight’s cards, while the clear blade on Wisel’s left arm unfolded and fired green waves of energy from each half, shattering another card. The twin wings folded back together afterward.

“This isn’t good,” said Rainbow Dash. “Twilight, what else ya got?”

“I don’t know, Rainbow Dash,” said Twilight.

Meklord Emperor Wisel Infinity rushed forward on its eight spider legs and brought its transparent blade down onto Twilight’s monster. Endymion dropped to one knee and raised his staff to block the strike. The force of the impact pushed against Twilight and tossed her into the steps behind her. She cried out in pain as her lungs began to burn.

Endymion, the Master Magician
DEF/1700
LV 7

“Twilight!” cried Rainbow Dash. Twilight stood up and shook her head vigorously.

“Although the Wisel Parts cannot attack, my battle is not yet finished,” Aporia stated. “I activate ‘Battle Return’! When a monster I control attacks, but the attack is negated or your monster survives the battle, my monster’s Attack Points are halved during this Battle Phase, and it can attack a second time this turn. Furthermore, Wisel Attack Five allows ‘Infinity’ monsters I control to inflict double piercing Damage! Meklord Emperor Wisel, attack!”

Meklord Emperor Wisel ∞
ATK/3500
LV 1

“Twilight, what does he mean by ‘double piercing’?” asked Rainbow Dash.

“He means that the difference between Wisel Infinity’s Attack Points and Endymion’s Defense Points will be doubled, and I’ll take that much damage,” Twilight answered.

“How much is that?”

“Eighteen hundred points doubled... thirty-six hundred points of damage.”

“Victory is mine, little unicorn!” Aporia laughed.

“Are you sure about that?” said Twilight. She smiled. “I discard ‘Kuriboh’ from my hand of cards to reduce all battle damage I take from this battle to zero!”

“Kuriboh?! Impossible!” shouted Aporia.

A small creature with four green paws, big yellow and purple eyes, and covered in brown fur appeared in front of Twilight. It bounced around, shouting, “Kuri!” happily, then faced the oncoming sword strike from the Meklord Emperor. As the green blade fell, Kuriboh flew upward with its front paws spread to the sides The sword struck the creature and it exploded.

“It doesn’t matter! I activate Wrath of the Wise Emperor’s final effect! When the equipped monster destroys a Defense Mode monster in battle, it inflicts damage equal to the destroyed monster’s original Defense Points!” The blast from the attack pushed against Twilight, but she held her footing this time.

Life Point Count
Aporia: 3600
Twilight: 1300

“I don’t know where you got ‘Kuriboh’, but it is irrelevant. On my next turn, I will defeat you once and for all. I Set one card face-down. Your move.” Twilight glared up at Aporia.

“Twilight, please! Let me take over for you!” Rainbow Dash pleaded.

“No, Rainbow. I can’t. Something’s not right about this.”

Rainbow Dash cocked her head. “What’s not right?” she asked.

“What Aporia just did to stop my counters,” Twilight explained. “Wisel Top Five can negate Spells and Traps. So why didn’t he just use that? Why use Wisel Attack Five’s effect?”

“Maybe he was showing off.”

“That can’t be it. He’s very methodical. He doesn’t strike me as the showy type. Every move he made in this duel has been for a reason. So why would he use both of those effects if he didn’t have to?”

Twilight’s eyes widened.

“That’s it!”

“What’s it?”

“He had to use them! If he couldn’t negate my Trap with Wisel Top Five, he could only do it with Wisel Attack Five! If I’m right about this, then I think I can win!” Her horn began to glow brighter. “This is the final turn, Aporia! I draw!”

Twilight glanced at her new card, then turned to the remaining Set card on her field. “I activate ‘Hope for Escape’! By paying a thousand of my Life Points while they’re lower than yours, I can draw one card for every one thousand points you have over me.”

Life Point Count
Aporia: 3600
Twilight: 300

“I activate Wisel Top Five’s effect to negate your Trap Card,” said Aporia.

“Now to see if I’m right,” Twilight said to Rainbow Dash. “I remove six Spell Counters from ‘Magical Citadel of Endymion’ and Special Summon ‘Endymion, the Master Magician’ from my Graveyard.”

A portal opened on the ground and the mighty spellcaster jumped out, his cape flying behind him and the ring on his back gleaming.

Endymion, the Master Magician
ATK/2700
LV 7

“Endymion’s effect activates,” Twilight continued. “When he’s Special Summoned this way, I can add a Spell Card from my Graveyard to my hand. I choose ‘Card of Sanctity’. Next, I’ll activate Endymion’s second effect, discarding ‘Terraforming’ to destroy one card on the field.”

“If you think you’re going to destroy Wisel Infinity, you are sorely mistaken,” Aporia said. “Wisel Carrier Five gives all monsters I control the effect of surviving destruction by card effects once per turn.”

“I figured something like that was the case,” Twilight replied. “Which is why I wasn’t planning on destroying Wisel Infinity. Endymion, destroy Explosive Magician!”

Endymion aimed his staff at the chest of the Meklord Emperor. A thin beam of purple energy shot out and pierced the glowing core inside. Explosive Magician appeared and began to pull his way out of the Meklord. When he was free at last, though still connected to Endymion’s staff by the thin beam of violet light, he smiled at Twilight and placed his hand over his chest before disappearing.

“I Set one card face-down,” said Twilight. The laser turret from ‘Lock-On Laser’ shot at her leg. She cried out. It burned.

Life Point Count
Aporia: 3600
Twilight: 100

“Twilight!” shouted Rainbow.

“I’m okay, Dash. I activate ‘Card of Sanctity’,” Twilight said. “Now we both draw until we have six cards in our hands. Or are you going to negate it?”

“Why would I pass up an opportunity to draw additional cards?” Aporia asked.

“Because I’m going to draw more cards than you,” Twilight replied. “I’m getting six brand new cards, while you’re only getting four.”

“It does not matter. You cannot win.”

“You can’t absorb Explosive Magician or Arcanite Magician anymore, and I don’t plan on summoning any other Synchro Monsters. I know you remember my most powerful monster, and that I used it to take down Meklord Emperor Skiel in our last fight, but you also know that it’s not going to be enough here. Card of Sanctity is the last card I’m holding. Even if my Set card is a Spell, chances are that it can’t help me without Card of Sanctity to provide additional resources to back it up.”

“What’s your point?”

“My point is that it’s a bad move to let me play ‘Card of Sanctity’. You know it’s a bad move, but you’re letting it happen anyway. And there’s only one logical explanation for that.”

Aporia remained silent. Twilight grinned.

“You can’t negate ‘Card of Sanctity’! Wisel Top Five can negate Spells or Traps in a given turn, but not both in the same turn. Am I right?”

“...yes,” Aporia said. “You’re quite perceptive. The Black King would benefit greatly from your recruitment.”

“Whoa... you mean you bluffed him out?” said Rainbow Dash. “Twilight, that’s so cool!”

“Yeah, it is,” Twilight said as she drew six new cards. “I activate my face-down card, ‘Magical Stone Excavation’! By discarding two cards, I can add a Spell Card in my Graveyard to my hand. I choose ‘Diffusion Wave-Motion’.”

“Trap Card, ‘Meklord Force Field’, activate!” Aporia said. Green-white energy flowed out of the Meklord Emperor’s core and surrounded the other parts of its body. “When activated, this card equips to an ‘Infinity’ monster I control and increases its Attack and Defense Points by five hundred. Furthermore, I take no damage from battles that involve monsters other than the equipped monster.”

Meklord Emperor Wisel ∞
ATK/5000
LV 1

“Then I’ll just have to destroy your other monsters,” said Twilight.

“Did you forget that I possess ‘Wisel Guard Five’? It can redirect any attack to itself and it cannot be destroyed in battle!”

“No, I didn’t forget. I activate ‘Miracle Synchro Fusion’! With this card, I can fuse monsters on my field or in my Graveyard by removing them from play, and then Fusion Summon a Synchro Fusion Monster! I remove ‘Arcanite Magician’ and ‘Explosive Magician’ from play in order to Fusion Summon ‘Supreme Arcanite Magician’!”

The ghostly images of Twilight’s Synchro Monsters appeared and swirled around each other, vanishing into a vortex of light. A new monster walked out of the light as it faded behind him and gave way to purple flames. Arcanite Magician now wore armor colored in many shades of indigo and violet, and embedded with bright, glowing emeralds. The wizard slammed the butt of his staff into the ground and the fire behind him vanished like a candle’s flame in the wind.

“When Supreme Arcanite Magician is Fusion Summoned, he gains two Spell Counters. Also, he gains one thousand Attack Points for each Spell Counter he has.”

Supreme Arcanite Magician
ATK/3400
LV 10
SC: 2

“I activate Supreme Arcanite Magician’s effect,” Twilight said. “Once per turn, I can remove a Spell Counter from a card on my field to either destroy one card on the field, or draw one card from my deck. I’ll draw.”

A card flew out of Twilight’s Duel Disk and joined the cards floating in front of her.

“Uh... Twilight?” said Rainbow Dash. “You just drew the last card in your deck.”

“That’s okay, Rainbow,” Twilight said. “I only needed one more card. I activate a second ‘Magical Stone Excavation’, discarding two cards to add ‘Forbidden Chalice’ to my hand! Next, I activate it and target Wisel Guard Five. It gains four hundred Attack Points, but its effects are negated!”

“What?!” shouted Aporia.

“I play ‘Diffusion Wave-Motion’,” Twilight continued. “Supreme Arcanite Magician can attack all of your monsters once each! Battle! Supreme Arcanite Magician, attack Wisel Guard, Attack, Carrier, and Top Five with Spell of Supremacy - Wave-Motion Ultima!”

Runes and light appeared above and below the magician and came together in a circle around him. He raised his staff into the air and the runes flew into the jewel at the tip. He lowered it until it pointed at Meklord Emperor Wisel Infinity. Hundreds of thin streams of purple light erupted from the jewel and pierced through the robot’s head, arms, and spider-body. The four parts exploded, leaving only the central piece floating in front of Aporia.

Meklord Emperor Wisel ∞
ATK/500
LV 1

“From my Graveyard, I activate the effect of ‘Skill Successor’!” said Twilight. “By removing it from play on my turn, Supreme Arcanite Magician gains eight hundred Attack Points until the End Phase.”

“Impossible! You never sent that card to the Graveyard!” Aporia yelled.

“Yes I did,” Twilight replied with a chuckle. “I discarded it to Special Summon ‘The Tricky’.”

“But... that was...”

Supreme Arcanite Magician
ATK/4200
LV 10

“Spell of Supremacy - Arcane Ultima!” shouted Twilight. A massive beam of arcane energy erupted from the jewel at the end of the magician’s staff, engulfing the Meklord Emperor. The machine turned into a silhouette in the bright light, then vanished into it like a stream into a river. The blast struck Aporia squarely in the chest, pushing him back and knocking him to the ground.

Life Point Count
Aporia: 0
Twilight: 2100

Silence crept over the yard. Every duel had stopped as each duelist looked on in awe. Twilight, panting heavily, started to collapse.

“Whoa, easy there!” said Rainbow Dash as she caught her friend. “You’ll be okay. You won! You actually won!”

“Yeah... yeah, I did,” said Twilight.

Aporia groaned as he pushed himself up. Once he was on his feet, he said, “Congratulations to the victor. I and my Dark Troopers will leave now. But this is not the end of the war. The Black King’s plans are nearing completion, and you are only delaying the inevitable. We will meet again, Twilight Sparkle.”

With that, Aporia turned and walked toward the gate. Every Dark Trooper lowered their Duel Disks and followed him.

Twilight’s eyelids began to droop as she slipped into darkness.

*****

Twilight’s eyes opened slowly. She was in a dimly lit room. Shadowed but familiar faces surrounded her. A baby dragon lay curled up by her side.

“She’s pushed herself too hard,” said Rarity.

“Ah reckon that Aporia guy did a real number on her,” came Applejack’s voice.

“I’ll say.” This voice belonged to Rainbow Dash. “Twilight told me he did something to make the damage in that duel real! She’s got a burn on her leg, her eyes are red from all the dust that got kicked around, and she’s bruised from head to tail!”

“It’s a good thing you girls got her to me when you did,” said Fluttershy. “One of her ribs had broken. If Rarity hadn’t helped out, I don’t know what we would have done.”

“I’m just glad you were there to direct me, Fluttershy,” Rarity replied. “You’re more experienced in medicinal matters than I am.”

“This isn’t as much fun as I thought it would be,” said Pinkie Pie. “It seems like every time I turn around, somepony’s fighting or getting hurt. I don’t know what to do anymore.”

“We’re all feeling a little... disoriented, dear,” said Rarity. “But everything will be fine. We’ll get to the bottom of this and fix it, then return home. In the meantime, come outside with me, Pinkie. I just had a remarkable idea.”

“An idea?” said Pinkie as she followed Rarity out the door. “What is it?”

“Rainbow, just what happened out there?” Applejack asked. “Twilight can handle a few cuts an’ bruises, maybe even a broken rib, but she’s been out cold for the past two days!”

Two days? thought Twilight. Wow... I must have been more tired than I thought.

“Aporia made the damage from the duel real. I don’t know how,” said Rainbow Dash. “But it’s not just that. Everything Twilight’s been through since we got here has been piling on. She keeps using so much of her magic, and on so many of us and our friends. She kept her Duel Disk up for two straight duels. She lost to me in the most intense match I’ve ever had! She needs a break, AJ. A long one.”

Twilight decided to stir then. She moved her legs a bit and groaned as she tried not to wake Spike.

“R-Rainbow... Dash...” she said. She started to sit up, but two hooves pressed against her shoulders and made her lie back down.

“You shouldn’t try to get up, Twilight,” said Fluttershy. “You need to rest.”

“I just... want to say... thank you, Dash.”

She drifted off again.

Rainbow Dash smiled and wiped a tear from her eye.

“No... thank you, Twilight,” she whispered.

/*********************\

Next time on Dueling is Magic! Many Futures

With the invasion of the resistance HQ thwarted, the Black King calls his generals back to KaibaCorp. Tower to discuss future plans. A dark shadow looms over them as the Black King reveals the next stage of his master plan...

Chapter 27

Shadows of the Past

/*********************\

Featured Card

Supreme Arcanite Magician
LIGHT
Level 10
Spellcaster/Fusion/Effect
Must first be Fusion Summoned. When this card is Fusion Summoned: Place 2 Spell Counters on it. This card gains 1000 ATK for each Spell Counter on it. Once per turn: You can remove 1 Spell Counter from your side of the field, then activate 1 of these effects.
● Target 1 card on the field; destroy it.
● Draw 1 card.
ATK/1400
DEF/2800

Author's Note:

Apparently, we can now choose where our Author's Notes are located. I'm gonna keep them at the bottom for now.

HOO boy, this one was a toughy! I ended up rewriting several turns in this duel, including the last one, mostly because I forgot about stuff that was happening. For example, I had forgotten that "Magical Citadel of Endymion" gains the Spell Counters of any card that gets destroyed. Still, though, totally worth it. Heck, the ending turned out better than any previous version.

Twilight's been through a lot lately, so I'm going to let her rest. Next chapter will be important for the plot. After that, hold on tight, because Spike's featured duel is coming up! It will be a three-way Battle Royal between Spike, Jack, and Kazama- who will also feature a whole new series of cards! You're not gonna want to miss this one.

Oh, and I slipped another little clue in here. It's very small, and I doubt most of you will be able to spot it. Maybe nobody will. But it's there.

I hope you guys had fun. This duel was really awesome for me to write.

PreviousChapters Next