• Published 30th Mar 2013
  • 2,638 Views, 32 Comments

Family Ties - NightInk



Sequel to "Embracing the Night" and prequel to "Stars of the Day", the wedding of Adam and Luna

  • ...
4
 32
 2,638

Talks

“Darling, why are you afraid? This is such a wonderful time for you! Both you and Princess Luna! After this you’ll be a prince! What more could you want?!” As she gushed, she pushed me back towards the platform. “And while you answer, please try not to move. As good as I am, I need you to let me get the measurements I need.”

I sighed and took my place again. “I’m scared exactly because this is everything someone should want. I’m marrying a beautiful girl, I’m celebrated as a hero, I have power, I’m marrying a beautiful girl. Numbers two and three are the issues. I’m not a hero, and I wasn’t looking for power. All I’ve ever wanted is to try and make people happy, and while power helps it isn’t necessary.”

Rarity considered this for only a moment before answering. “Adam, have I ever told you about my evening with that dreadful Prince Blueblood at the Grand Galloping Gala?”

“No, but I saw the episode. Gah! Does the tape measurer really have to go there?”

“Yes. And I forgot about the show, though it still gives me the shivers whenever I think about it. Watching us without any knowledge. Eew. But anyways, then you know how awful he was. He was rude, arrogant, stuck up…”

“Aren’t arrogant and stuck up kind of the same thing?”

“No, darling, there are certain nuances I can’t explain. Anyways, he was the worst kind of terrible that a man could be unfortunate enough to grow into. Or a woman for that matter.”

“You count Blueblood over Nightmare Moon and Discord?”

“Don’t split hairs. They were all terrible people. And the point is, he was the devil in disguise.”

“Actually, I think that’s technically Ben. Though it’s not a good disguise. He just wears a reaper cloak.”

“Adam! Will you let me talk?” I sighed and nodded. “Good. Now be still, I’m almost done measuring. The point is, he had power, he was known by the public as a good man… well, a decent man… a man, at any rate. And for that night, he had a beautiful woman at his side.” She said that with a fabulous flip of her hair. “And he ruined it all. He abused his power, and he behaved like a jerk, pardon my language.”

I laughed a bit. “Woo! Yeah, those are some harsh words. Your one step away from the dreaded insult, ‘doodie head’.”

“Dear, please don’t be crass. And the real point beneath that point is that while he ruined everything, you are still a good man, even with all that. Princess Luna loves you because you are a nice man. The power you have you use to help people. I mean, goodness, you have a magical, shape shifting sword that has the power to kill people with a scratch! Along with shape changing abilities, magic, wings. You could be the scourge of both Equestria and your Earth, and you just concern yourself with making Princess Luna happy and making other lives better. Then on top of it, you feel good for it. There! All done.”

As I finally stepped down, I thought. But only for a second. “Nah. I’m just a guy who wants a simple life. What I’m really afraid of is losing the simplicity. I always thought I’d get married, yeah, but to a girl who didn’t come with an ‘occasionally save pony kind and possibly humanity’ policy. What if I can’t live up to her needs?”

Rarity sighed as she began to look for the perfect fabric for the suit. “She loves you. And that means that mistakes can be made. If you can’t deal with every problem that comes along alone, she will help, and so will your friends. Trust me, everything will be fine.”

“All right.” I let her think she won. She liked winning. “I’ll have Luna come in later so that she can pay you and get sized. You’re getting paid, end of story. I wouldn’t dream of trying to guess her dress size. I don’t even know mine.”

She cocked her head and looked at me like it was the strangest thing she had heard me say. “That’s the strangest thing I’ve ever heard you say.”

I nodded a bit. “Yeah, I guess-”

“Your about a ten and a half,” she interrupted.

It was my turn to look at her strangely. “Seriously? Since when do you know dress sizes for humans?”

“Well, I don’t know exactly, but as a pony that’s about what you are, so I can only guess, but I’ve got a good eye. Trust me dear, you’re a ten and a half.”

I nodded a bit. “Makes sense. You are a seamstress. Sorry,” I amended. “Fashionista. Hey, you know what would be fun?”

Later that day when Luna showed up, she found me standing in the same spot, the measuring platform, but wearing something she didn’t really expect.

“Dear, will you answer me something?”

“Sure.”

“Why are you wearing a sundress?”

“It’s got a nice bit of airflow. It makes me feel free.” Rarity had done a beautiful job of making a kind of old fashioned day dress. “I like the flower pattern, too. They’re not too intrusive without being too evasive. I was thinking a bonnet too, but apparently those fell out of style a season or two ago.”

Rarity made a choking noise. “Ugh, darling, try one or two dozen seasons ago. They’re simply horrid.”

Luna nodded with a confused smile. “Yes, they are awful, but Adam, why a dress? Didn’t you come down for a suit?”

“Well, I thought about a black dress instead, but I just didn’t think it was functional. Honey, this is just for fun! What guy doesn’t secretly want to know his dress size?”

“Just you,” came the unanimous answer from both of them.

“Ahh, you guys have no idea what goes on in the mind of a man.”

Luna got a wickedly devious smile before answering. “Then it’s a good thing I’m marring a child instead, isn’t it?”

I fake gasped. “Oh, eww! You sick lady! Marrying a little boy. I should call the authorities on you!”

“Isn’t that a bit from some tv show? Again?”

“Yeah, but I rip off so much stuff that I lose track of it all.”

She rolled her eyes and laughed, nodding slightly. “Fair enough, I suppose. So, how much do we owe you Rarity? For his suit and both dresses, because somehow I can’t see him parting that one.”

I twirled the dress a little bit and grinned. “You really don’t see the humorous possibilities, do you?”

Both women rolled their eyes and scoffed, ignoring me. “So, how much do we owe you?” she asked again.

Rarity smiled politely. “If you two truly insist on paying, then here are the figures.” She floated a piece of paper over to Luna, who looked only for a moment, pulled a bit pouch from under her wing, and handed the whole pouch over to Rarity. Rarity hefted the pouch, looking absolutely stunned.

“Princess, this is far more than I asked for. At least twice that much, even! I simply cannot accept this generous a payment!”

Luna smiled and nodded. “Yes, it is about twice as much, but keep in mind that you tailor all of Adam’s shirts to fit his new wings. Pro bono, I believe is the term? Well, this is also your compensation for that.”

I stepped behind one of those fancy partitions and began changing. “For everything she’s done for us, think that’s enough?”

I heard Luna chuckle from the other side of the thin divider. “Yes, you are right. Where is your pouch?”

I tossed my pants over the top. “Back left pocket next to my wallet. Give her all of it.”

“No, no, please, this is simply too much!” Rarity protested again.

“That’s all right, he only has about eight bits in this,” Luna muttered, seemingly amused.

Rarity gave another uncomfortable chuckle, but took the money. I stuck my head around the side of the fancy purple wall. “Hey, can I have my pants back?”

Luna began to send them over, but Rarity spoke up as she did. “Darling, it isn’t my place to intervene, but I would like to remind you of our little conversation. Perhaps not here, but might it be prudent to… talk about it?”

My pants stopped in midair. “Thank you for bringing this to light, Rarity. Adam?” Luna suddenly looked concerned.

I grabbed at the jeans, but they stayed just out of reach. “Hey, come on. I just happened to mention that I was just having pre-wedding jitters. It’s perfectly natural. Probably the only thing about me that’s normal anymore. Pants?”

They floated a couple inches further away. “Well, why didn’t you tell me, we could have addressed these concerns with each other.” She gave a brief half shrug. “To be honest, I’m a little bit nervous as well.”

I nodded quickly. “That’s reasonable. We can address them now, though. While I’m wearing pants.”

They stayed suspended. “Well, what are you feeling nervous about?”

“Uuh, the concept of immortality? The fear that you’ll leave me for someone smarter or better in public situations or someone classier or better looking… well, one of those first three at least. This is the naked truth.”

She smirked a bit and nodded, her head falling as she looked down at the floor. “I get the hint, but I’m keeping these here so that you’ll keep talking. What else?”

I shrugged. “It’s mostly just insecurity. I’m afraid of losing what I have with you. I want more than anything to have a life with you and to grow forever young with you. I also want the pants, dear. You can have them later, huh?” I winked.

Both girls blushed. Luna folded the pants in her magic and tucked them under her wing. “No,” she said simply. “Not right now. After all, what a shame it would be for you to waste that brand new dress, right? Thank you Rarity, for everything/”

Rarity smiled uneasily and took a cautious step back. Luna quickly turned and walked smoothly out of the boutique. Rarity grimaced and looked at me apologetically. “I am so, so sorry. I shouldn’t have gotten involved, and now I’ve upset you two.”

I quickly threw the sundress back on and stepped back out from behind the partition, sighing. “Nope, that wasn’t you. That would have happened weather or not you had mentioned anything. Really, you’ve done me a favor. I would have waited way too long to say anything. You forced my hand, but it was good. Thank you very much.”

She clearly wasn’t convinced, but she nodded and let it go. I thanked her one more time and left, walking out of the building in my dress proudly. I stretched in the warm afternoon sun and set my hands on my hips. “Eeyup,” I muttered. “I pissed her off.”