• Published 28th Mar 2013
  • 4,101 Views, 115 Comments

Sisters: Chasing a Happier Time - lightfox lowell



When every thing goes wrong will Scootaloo be able to rely on the only pony she has left?

  • ...
3
 115
 4,101

Chapter 1: A Happier Time’s End

Chapter 1: A Happier Time’s End

By Lightfox Lowell

It is the night of the crowning of Princess Twilight Sparkle. While the others are going to stay at the castle to (in Pinkie’s words) “PARTY!” Rainbow Dash has to fly back to Ponyville at top speed. It’s not that she does not want to party with her friends. But she had made a promise to Scootaloo to be back before Pin Puller had to leave and she is intent on keeping it.

As Rainbow Dash makes her way into the skies over Ponyville she is able to make out two unmistakable orange ponies waiting for her. Dash hopes that she, of all ponies, is not late on Pin Puller’s watch and glides down.

“Hey you two, hope I’m not late,” says Rainbow Dash.

Pin Puller pulls out his watch. “No no, Dash, I would say you’re about ten seconds early.”

“Hah! Well, in that case, are you ready to go, Scoots?” asks Rainbow Dash.

Scootaloo, to her credit, is still standing but lets out a yawn and nods softly to Dash.

Rainbow Dash helps the sleepy filly onto her back. “So when will you be back, Pin Puller?”

Pin Puller looks at his watch. “Well it is midnight right now, so I should be back by noon tomorrow.”

“Right, well I’ll make sure to take good care of Scoots here.”

“I know I can rely on you, Rainbow Dash, but you two better head off before Scootaloo falls asleep on your back.”

Rainbow Dash gives a salute and takes off into the sky. Pin Puller, knowing his Scootaloo is in good hooves, starts his walk to the train that is waiting for him.

Rainbow Dash and Scootaloo get home without issue, but the filly had fallen asleep mid-flight. She takes Scootaloo to what is quickly becoming her own room, cleared out after her sleepovers became normal.. While it did not have many toys like the room at her father’s house, it was adorned with posters of the Wonderbolts and pictures of her, Dash, and Pin Puller, along with a single Spitfire plushie that laid waiting on the bed. Dash carefully slips Scootaloo into the covers and walks out.

Rainbow Dash walks to her room letting out a yawn and stretching her wings. ‘It was really surprising to see Twilight just pick up flying like that... Maybe it’s just an alicorn thing to be able to fly off the bat?’ Taking off the dress that Rarity had made and putting it in a closet next to her Wonderbolt cadet uniform and Gala dress, she steps toward her bed. As she climbs into bed, Dash hears a soft thump. She turns to see it was just the hat falling down and gives it a “meh” before going to bed.

Later that morning, Rainbow Dash quietly slips into Scootaloo’s room and tip-toes to the bed. “Scootaloo...” Rainbow Dash whispers. “It’s time to wake uuuup,” she says with a mischievous grin.

The filly does not even stir, so Rainbow Dash slowly extends one of her wings and starts to tickle the filly’s side. Scootaloo does not show any reaction at first, but slowly a smile starts to appear on her face. Soon after that, the filly starts to go into a rampant giggle fit. Scootaloo’s eyes suddenly shoot open and she tries to defend herself from the surprise tickle attack.

“Pfffft hahahahahaa! No Rainbow ssssthahahahp!” Scootaloo manages to giggle out as she tries to bat the wing away.

Satisfied, Rainbow Dash retracts her wing. “Ah, good to see you’re awake now. Come on, I have some breakfast for us.” She lets Scootaloo get out of bed as she trots into the kitchen.

When Scootaloo gets down to the kitchen she sees a dandelion sandwich, some apples from Sweet Apple Acres, and some orange juice. This is the best breakfast they normally eat at Rainbow Dash’s house, mostly because it had been well established in the past: Rainbow Dash can’t cook. Or rather, she can but doesn’t.

They eat their breakfast quietly until Rainbow Dash asks something strange. “So Scoots, you don’t have anything planned with the Crusaders today, right?”

“Uh, well, no, not today. Apple Bloom is visiting Babs Seed, and Sweetie Belle is spending time with her parents in Canterlot, I was kind of hoping we could do some flight training,” answers Scootaloo.

Rainbow Dash starts to grin. “Well, sorry to disappoint about flying lessons today, Scootaloo, but we have to go see some important ponies.” Rainbow Dash then gets up and starts to sift through her mail.

“Important ponies? Like who?” asks Scootaloo, disappointment dripping from her voice.

Rainbow Dash suddenly holds up two backstage passes to a Wonderbolt show. “Well, you see, being the number one cadet has its perks and I thought you would like to go see the whole team. But if you want to tra—” is all Rainbow Dash manages to get out before being hugged and tackled to the cloud floor.

Scootaloo gives her sister a hug that rivals Pinkie Pie’s in bone crushing power. “YES YES YES!”

“Ah! Hah, okay, Scoots, okay, calm down! Go get ready and we can head to Cloudsdale and catch them before they start,” says Rainbow Dash.

In the blink of an eye Scootaloo runs up to her room and tosses a bunch of stuff into some saddle bags and puts the bags on. She then races back downstairs to see Dash has done the same and is waiting at the front door. Then the two take off into the sky heading for Cloudsdale.

***

While Rainbow Dash and Scootaloo are leaving Ponyville at high speeds the rest of the other Elements of Harmony are just returning. But one is a bit more attention-grabbing than the others. Twilight Sparkle, with Spike in tow, is going back to her home in the Ponyville library. While Twilight looks no worse for wear, Spike looks like he had a hard night, but they do finally make it to their home.

The door to the Golden Oaks Library begins to glow with the purple aura. It suddenly unlocks itself and swings open, allowing its master to enter.

Twilight walks into her home and sits down at her desk with a satisfied sigh. “I don’t know about you Spike, but it’s really good to be back home in Ponyville.”

Walking in a way that would make Spike seem like he has joined the ranks of the undead, he goes to his bed and more or less collapses into it. “Yeamf,” was the only response that Twilight received.

“Oh Spike, the ride back home wasn’t that bad.” Twilight states with a small giggle.

Spike looks over at Twilight with a glare. “ Speak for yourself. You girls talked all the way through the ride! some of us would have liked to sleep, you know. Why did we take the train anyways? Don’t you get chariots like Princess Celestia now?”

“Heh, sorry about that Spike. Maybe? Yes? But I wanted to ride with my friends,” says Twilight. “ After you help me write a quick letter, you can go right to bed if you want.”

Not even bothering to protest, Spike pulls out a quill and some parchment. “Ready Twilight.”

Some scholars state to this day that the amount of books that Twilight ordered just then had to have been an error. All of them related to being a princess in some way: etiquette, manners, court procedures, multitudes of history, court ceremony, an encyclopedia of tea, forms of address, and many others. Engineers even claim that the book load managed to take some stress off of the supports that hold Canterlot to the mountain.

“Um Twilight... are you sure this is all needed?” asks Spike. “I mean, didn’t Celestia say you can dig into this stuff later?”

“Now now, Spike, it is later, and I can’t go slacking,” says Twilight. “Anyway, no harm can come from a little light reading.”

Spike looks a bit unsure, looking at the whole list. “Sure... light.” He sends the message off and promptly goes to bed. “I pity the pony that has to load all that up.”


Pity them is what Pin Puller did later that night as he saw 3 unicorns doing their best to levitate the massive box full of books.

“Is this the box you hijacked my schedule for?” asked Pin Puller. “I really don’t understand why you made us drop everything just to wait here all day.”

The day had not been a great one for Pin Puller after going from Ponyville to Canterlot, then to Manehatten, then back to Canterlot. His work week had been long, but on the last stretch from Canterlot to Fillydelphia, the Canterlot station told him they had a change of schedule and he would be taking a crate to Ponyville. At first he loved this news, but that was before it took hours for them to get this crate ready. Now he would be lucky to get back when he was supposed too.

“Yes sir, it’s a direct package to Princess Twilight Sparkle in Ponyville, sir,” the station worker answers.

“Oh, right, why am I not surprised,” Pin Puller says. He had a bad feeling about Twilight becoming a princess since Dash had told him it happened. Not that she could not do the job. He was more worried about what it would do to the small town of Ponyville now that it had a princess living there.

“Whatever the case, sir, I would be careful around the box. It’s super heavy— took all three of us with magic to lift the cursed thing,” the station work tells Pin Puller.

“Well we’ll make sure to tie it down well,” replies Pin Puller.

A few train workers make sure to tie down the box right and proper and before long the train sets off to Ponyville.

***

Back with Rainbow Dash and Scootaloo, it was late and they had been with the Wonderbolts for most of the day. While Scootaloo or Rainbow Dash would have not complained if it had continued, it ended and they set off home. Scootaloo managed to score another signed poster, but this time with every Wonderbolt’s signature. She truly had a good time today with Rainbow Dash and could not have been happier.

Rainbow Dash and Scootaloo talked about the show the whole way back home. But it was when Ponyville got into sight did Scootaloo suddenly get really quiet. It was because of the storm visible over Ponyville. It was supposed to rain today and tomorrow, but it was not the rain that bugged Scootaloo: it was the thunder. While she did not like anypony to know, she really did not like the sound thunder made. In truth, the only two ponies who did know were her father and the very pony she was riding on now.

“You okay, Scoots?” asks Rainbow Dash. “You got really quiet on me suddenly.”

“Oh yeah, I am fine Rainbo–” Suddenly thunder came roars from in front of them and Scootaloo lets out a yelp and grips onto Rainbow for dear life.

“Oh right, the storm... Hey now, Scoots, it’s okay. We’ll be home soon,” says Rainbow Dash trying to reassure Scootaloo. But she does double time her flying to get home sooner, for Scootaloo’s sake.

Soon, they get back to Rainbow Dash’s cloud home and go inside. The cloud home is higher up than the storm, so they never even have to get wet. The perks of being a pegasus.

“So, you going to crash with me tonight?” Rainbow Dash asks, knowing the answer since Scootaloo had not removed herself from her back. She was like this for any storm. Pin Puller said she suffered some type of trauma when she was younger during a storm. She had tried to get the story from Scootaloo, but she always locked up when asked.

Scootaloo does not answer. She just nods, still holding onto Rainbow Dash, so she knew full well that Dash would get her answer. The truth was that Rainbow Dash did not mind, so she took Scootaloo up to her room. She rests Scootaloo on the bed and brakes out a Daring Do book.

“How about a story to get your mind off the storm, Scoots?” asks Rainbow Dash.

Scootaloo grins and nods to Rainbow Dash.

Rainbow Dash, laying down on the bed, takes Scootaloo in her wing and reads. “Daring Do and the Chalice of Harmony,” Rainbow Dash reads out loud.

While to some, Daring Do’s books full of adventure and excitement would keep them awake. To adrenaline junkies like Rainbow Dash and Scootaloo it was soothing and awesome. Scootaloo falls asleep in the wing of her mentor regardless of the storm outside.

Rainbow Dash takes a little while to notice, but when she does, she pats Scootaloo on the head and places the book on the nightstand. “...Night sis...”

Rainbow Dash then drifts into a sleep of her own, Scootaloo sleeping with a smile on her face.


The next day, Rainbow Dash had to help with the storm cleanup. She dropped off Scootaloo, at her request, close to the CMC clubhouse.

Scootaloo collects the scooter that she stores at the clubhouse for cases where her father’s house is locked and she wants to ride around town. She then exits the clubhouse and starts a joy ride around town. It is close to being noon when she gets the idea to see her dad right when he gets back from work. She arrives there at noon but the train was not there yet. It was a bit unlike her father to allow a the train to be late; something must have held them up.

She starts to ride up and down the loading ramp to pass time. She only needs to be careful of the ground at the bottom of the ramp, since the ground had become soft and muddy from last night’s rain; but the ramp seemed to be fine.

After a little longer, Scootaloo is able to see the train coming in the distance. But she was having a good time showing off so she keeps up her tricks on the ramp.

The train stops at the station and a tired Pin Puller walks out to see Scootaloo doing her tricks and he gives a smile.

Pin Puller walks to the bottom of the ramp to meet up with Scootaloo. “Come to see your less awesome father, Scootaloo?” he gives her a wink.

“Heh! Dad, you’re awesome in your own ways. You’re just not as cool as Rainbow Dash, but don’t feel bad: Nopony is,” says Scootaloo.


While the father and daughter are talking, two unicorns start to try and get the crate of books off of the train and to the loading ramp. Normally, the two are used to their magic holding up just about any cargo. But this crate was unworldly heavy, and yet they still try to carry it down to the loading ramp. It all starts when one of the unicorn’s spell starts to fail and his horn gives off a few magic sparkles. Without any warning to the other unicorn, his spell completely fails, leaving the second one to try and hold up the create. The only thing he manages to do is make sure it did not fall on him or his partner, but sadly he did not know about Pin Puller at the bottom of the ramp. If it had not just rained last night the crate would have stopped right there, due to its weight, but since the ramp was damp, it slides, picking up speed, and heads right for Scootaloo's back as Pin Puller watched.

Pin Puller does not have any time to think. All he manages to do is shove Scootaloo to the side before the crate smashes into her. In doing so, he seals his own fate. The crate slides down the ramp and slams into Pin Puller full force, it does not stop. The ground at the bottom of the ramp was muddied the night before, so the crate carries Pin Puller until it slams him into a nearby wall.

Scootaloo lies, dazed, on the ground, confused at what had caused her dad to knock her aside, until she looks over to see him on the ground, between the massive crate and a wall. “D–DAD!” yells Scootaloo as she rushes over to him.

She gets over to Pin Puller, but he could feel his body going cold, the air he exhaled tasted like blood. He sees his daughter looking down with a horrified expression. “Hah... good to see you’re okay Scootaloo...”

“No! Dad, I’m so sorry! If you did not have to pus–” Pin Puller weakly held up a hoof to silence her.

“None of that...” Pin Puller says. “Scootaloo, it was not your fault. Just... be good for Dash for me, okay?” Pin Puller could feel his vision going darker. The taste of blood was only getting stronger and breathing was becoming an issue.

“What do you mean?” asks Scootaloo. She was really confused by that – until it hit her. “WAIT! NO! You can’t leave me too! DAD!” She screams at the top of her lungs but the words were lost on Pin Puller whom was fading fast.

“Love you, Scoots...” Pin Puller says weakly.

‘Take care of her, Rainbow... She will need you...’ is the last living thought Pin Puller had.

Scootaloo shakes her father. “NO! Dad! Wake up!”

***

The ponies around had already called for medical assistance, so it was a short while before Scootaloo sat alone in a waiting room at the hospital, hoping for any good news about her father.

Nurse Redheart walks softly into the room and up to Scootaloo. “Scootaloo I’m... I'm sorry... We could not save him. If you want, we can let you go say goodbye...”

Scootaloo is crushed. Her mind is not even able to comprehend what was happening. She is lead down the hallway to see her father laying on a head. She walks to the bed and jumps on.

His eyes are closed... She puts a hoof on him. He felt so cold. Scootaloo couldn't even help herself from crying. She hugged Pin Puller, sobbing into his coat. “No... dad... I– I love you too.”

This scene continues for quite a few minutes until a pony taps on her back. She assumed at the time it was Nurse Redheart.

Scootaloo lets out a deep depressed sigh. With tears in her eyes, she lets go of her father. “Goodbye dad... I love you.”

She gets off the bed and walks out without even looking at the pony that tried to get her attention.

Back in the hallway, the pony spokes up. “Um hello Scootaloo...”

The voice was new, which got Scootaloo to turn right around. The pony standing there was a pegasus. “Oh, uh, who are you?”

“Well, my name is Cloud Dream,” she answers. “Scootaloo, I am very sorry to hear about your loss. I’m even sadder since Pin Puller was your only family we have on record... Which is why I am here.”

Scootaloo really did not need that rubbed in. “Why, are you here?”

Cloud Dream sighs. “I am here to take you to a orphanage in Cloudsdale.”

Author's Note:

A big thanks to the members of Lightfox Labs that helped me write this.

Neon Noble: Editing and pre-reader. Has corrected: 522 errors so far.

White Beldrem: Editing and pre-reader. (( http://www.fimfiction.net/user/WolfmanWhite ))

Qesun Vendak: Editing and pre-reader.

Check out our steam group if you really want to. (( .... its lightfox labs ))

EDIT: A error slipped in on this one. Fixed it 3/30/2013. kudos to Qesun for catching it.