• Published 24th Mar 2013
  • 15,505 Views, 1,252 Comments

Syncopation - Terrasora



Octavia Philharmonica, the Canterlot Conservatory's rising star, is about to begin a whole new part of her life; one that involves an old friend, an ambitious businesspony and a certain eccentric DJ.

  • ...
14
 1,252
 15,505

The Addition

Harpo was not a particularly happy pony at the moment. Which isn’t to say that he is a particularly happy pony at most moments. At least, he would never say so. No, Harpo rather enjoyed playing the role of the suffering composer, the aloof artist who holds others at hoof’s length while he works in peace. Harpo was content with his title of ‘Sergeant,’ as useless as it had been ever since he left the Conservatory.

Yes, Harpo Parish Nadermane played his role. He played it rather well, too. As it stood, Harpo believed that there were say, six ponies, not counting close relatives, in all of Equestria who knew that he was a bumbling, sarcastic, drunkard of a pony who truly felt that he would do anything for his friends, albeit complaining all the while, and had Octavia not stepped in and smacked that ghastly mare, it would have been Harpo adorning that morning’s tabloids. Only six ponies were aware that he was not a detached composer.

And four of those six ponies were sitting in his immediate proximity.

But that was almost normal for Harpo. After all, he had a firm belief that the only ponies worth calling ‘friend’ were those who had seen past his facade. No, what was currently bothering our beloved composer was the fact that one of those ponies sitting in his immediate vicinity had seen Harpo in the most unflattering position.

Namely, making out with that pony’s marefriend.

Of course, Lyra Heartstrings had dished out appropriate punishment. And then some. Repeatedly. But, that hardly made Harpo’s position any less awkward. Rather, the opposite was true. It was awkward as all hell.

Lyra Heartstrings, for her part, felt even worse. She was sitting in a single chair. A coffee table was all that stood between her, Octavia, Vinyl, Harpo, and Fleur de Lis. Four ponies, two of which had been her classmates, one white unicorn who was tapping out a rhythm with a plastic spork, and a serenely smiling pink unicorn.

It was utterly terrifying.

Where to begin? Miss Philharmonica, pride of the Canterlot Conservatory. The cellist was as distant now as she had ever been. Octavia Philharmonica was unapproachable, perfect, a pinnacle one was to live up to. In fact, Lyra would be surprised if Octavia even knew her name. Lyra had never seen her make a mistake. Lyra had never seen her arrive tardy to a class. Lyra had never seen her smile. Lyra had, only hours before, read about how this grey earth pony had savagely struck down a down-on-her-luck mare.

That mare had, apparently, been Vinyl Scratch’s mother. Lyra felt her eyes subconsciously shift to the DJ. No read there. Vinyl seemed completely lost in her rhythm, her head bobbing slightly to the beat, beating out a drumline on the couch with what looked like a white, plastic spork, not paying any mind to the sweating green unicorn. Or maybe Vinyl was staring right into her eyes. It was impossible to tell with those purple lenses. Fleur de Lis reached out a gentle hoof, laying it on Vinyl’s foreleg. The spork stopped immediately.

Fleur de Lis. Fancy Pants’s wife and, if talk around the restaurant was anything to go by, just as influential as her husband. Lyra remembered the last media incident surrounding these ponies. Miss Philharmonica and Miss Scratch had been caught coming out of some sort of club. Word had buzzed through Canterlot for a while and then… nothing. Sure, a few random ponies would discuss it over lunch, during a lull in the conversation but… that was it. No follow-up stories, no outraged Canterlotian nobles writing in to Equestria Daily in an effort to get their protests in the newspaper. Fleur de Lis had handled the media then.

Fleur noticed the look Lyra was giving her and smiled encouragingly.

Lyra almost jumped out of her hooves. But she was able to contain herself as her eyes slid over to Harpo.

Yeah, that was a lost cause. Harpo was looking everywhere but at Lyra. He probably remembered what happened at that party. Lyra winced slightly. Damn it. Hopefully Harpo wasn’t the type to hold grudges.

“Thank you for coming, Miss Heartstrings.” Fleur’s smile hadn’t slipped in the slightest.

Lyra nearly jumped out of her seat. “I-I wouldn’t miss it. Thank you for having me.”

Fleur de Lis nodded and glanced over at Harpo.

The composer cleared his throat. “Right, well, we’re going to ask you a few questions Ly-- Miss Heartstrings.”

Lyra nodded. Her posture straightened uncomfortably as she tried to appear as comfortable as possible.

“What’s your name?” asked Vinyl Scratch suddenly. Every eye in the room instantly fell on her. “It’s a valid question!”

Octavia rolled her eyes. Harpo was hardly able to keep his hoof from slamming into his forehead. Fleur’s smile seemed to widen slightly.

“Ly--” Lyra’s voice cracked, “Lyra Heartstrings.”

“Lyra, huh?” said Vinyl. “Then you’re a lyrist?”

“Well, partly. I play lyre and I compose. I also really enjoy writing songs.”

“Really? That’s cool. I tried writing lyrics before, couldn’t really get the hang of it. How do you do it?”

A half-smile formed on Lyra’s face. “I’m not really sure. It just kinda comes to me. Sometimes a melody will work it’s way into my head and the word will come later, sometimes the words come first. There was one time where I woke up humming a tune.”

“Awesome!” said Vinyl.

Lyra grinned. “It was kinda creepy, really.” She shifted slightly in her chair, settling into a more comfortable position.

Fleur de Lis smiled. Miss Heartstrings had been rather awkward ever since she trotted into the recording studio. Yet, after a few words from Vinyl, Lyra was almost talking like a normal pony. Vinyl certainly does have a certain talent with ponies.

“You went to the Conservatory with these two?” Vinyl’s voice brought Fleur out of her stupor.

Lyra nodded. “Though, in all honesty, I’d be surprised if they even remember me.” Her eyes seemed to linger on Octavia’s for a bit.

The cellist looked back cooly.

“Lyra Heartstrings,” said Harpo with a smile. “Of course we’d remember.” Somehow, that simple statement brought back fresh memories of Harpo being bounced back and forth, held by an emerald green magical aura.

Vinyl’s eyes narrowed slightly behind her purple glasses. Then a lightbulb went off. “Oh Celestia, this is the mare who kicked your flank, isn’t it Harpo?!” A horrifyingly wide grin split Vinyl’s mouth as she dissolved into laughter. “Oh! Oh, this is so awesome!”

“Yeah, yeah,” said Harpo. “Laugh it up. Drinking inhibits decision making, Harpo enjoys drinking, Harpo is completely capable of doing stupid things and then proceeds to make the mistake of telling his friends about those stupid things. Hardy-har-har.”

Lyra had, by this point, turned a rather nice shade of red. “I’m really sorry about that,” she said sincerely.

Harpo waved a dismissive hoof. “It’s in the past. But, on that note, I dismiss myself from this interview on the basis that I hold a grudge against the interviewee and can, therefore, not be impartial. Ipso Facto, I’m going to leave now.” Harpo rose from his seat.

“Sit down, Harpo.”

“Yes, Fleur.” Harpo fell back into his seat.

Fleur turned back towards Lyra. “As you can see, Miss Heartstrings, this venture is quite unlike any other. It is a very tightly-knit group; more like family than employees.”

Lyra nodded, unsure of what to say.

“But this uniqueness,” continued Fleur de Lis, “has come at a price. I’m sure that you’ve read about it? Either in this morning’s tabloids or in the newspaper from some days ago.”

Another nod.

“Of course you have.” Fleur paused slightly, glancing over at her musicians. “Miss Heartstrings, the normal pony would not want to join a company that finds itself in such a precarious position. Saying that we have opposition within our business is an understatement. We have enemies who are quite willing to manipulate one’s image in an effort to strike at Syncopated Records.” She turned towards Lyra. The smile was gone, replaced by a dangerous glint of steel, a hint at the force that had quieted Canterlot’s media mills. “My question to you, Miss Heartstrings. Why do you want to join?”

The room went silent. Lyra cast her eyes onto the floor. Seconds ticked past.

“Because,” began Lyra without lifting her heads, “I feel like it’s the right thing to do. I wasn’t the best student at the Conservatory. Hell, I barely even got into the Conservatory. And then I graduated, thinking that I’d be able to get a job as a songwriter or something, maybe audition for some kind of orchestra or something. I ended up at a restaurant, serving dishes.” Her eyes her still fixed to the floor, her voice gradually picking up speed as she went on. “I get up every day at the same time, put on the same uniform, head out, deal with the dumbest, nit-pickiest things! ‘Waitress, the peas were touching the mash potatoes, take it back.’ ‘Waitress, the unsalted green peas I ordered don’t have any salt.’ It’s not for me, it’s not what I’m supposed to do, and I just can’t do it anymore.” She looked up, her golden eyes shimmering slightly. “I’m not a waitress. I’m a musician.”

The interviewers’ faces remained neutral.

“Octavia,” said Fleur de Lis, “you’ve been rather quiet through this interview.”

Octavia touched a hoof to her lips. “I am… not the best judge of other ponies. I don’t know Miss Heartstrings.” Violet eyes met golden. “I never spoke to you. I never spoke to anypony besides Harpo… And if your best reason for wanting to be a part of Syncopated Records is that you’re tired of your old job, well, I’m not entirely sure how I feel about that.”

“Th-that’s not what I meant! I-It’s just that…” Lyra’s voice trailed off.

Harpo stayed quiet. He pulled at a strand of his mane.

“Here’s another question,” said Fleur. “Why do you think Fancy Pants decided to start up this company?”

Lyra thought for some moments, thought as hard as she could. “I… I don’t know.”

“A valid answer,” replied Fleur de Lis. “Most of Canterlot doesn’t know. I suspect that there are days where Fancy Pants himself doesn’t know.Syncopated Records is meant to bring music from all walks of life to all walks of life. It’s meant to prove that Canterlot is more than just Bluebloods and Hoity Toities. This means bringing things into Canterlot that some ponies believe should stay far, far away.”

Lyra nodded. There was really nothing to say.

“I don’t say this to completely dissuade you, Miss Heartstrings,” explained Fleur. “I do it so that you know what you’re getting into.”

“Getting into?” asked Lyra hesitantly.

Fleur smiled. “Yes, actually. I’m willing to offer Trans Script’s old position. That is, as a receptionist.”

Lyra seemed to deflate slightly, but the grin on her face was genuine. “Oh! Thank you! I can’t wait to work with you all!”

Vinyl reached out a hoof. “Welcome to the club, filly. Rule number one: Nopony likes Harpo.”

“Thank for that, Vinyl,” remarked Harpo.

Vinyl lowered her glasses slightly, a smile spreading on her face. “Rule number two: Nopony like Harpo.”

***

“Bit harsh back there, weren’t you Tavi?”

Octavia lowered her book, an absolutely riveting biography on Felix Maredelshoe. The interview was long over. Fleur de Lis had gone to meet Fancy Pants. Nopony was quite sure where the Doctor had disappeared to.

“How so?” asked the cellist.

“In the interview? The whole ‘leaving your job isn’t a good reason’ thing.”

Octavia knit her brow slightly. “Perhaps. But I stand by my statement.”

“Yeah, but it’s not like you had a much better reason when you joined!” protested Vinyl.

“This isn’t the same situation. Syncopated Records is not the same company. It is currently being scrutinized by most of the Canterlot elite. Anyone working with us must be willing to put their career on the line.”

“You’ve only been working here for a few weeks! It’s not that bad!”

“Oh don’t you two start arguing!” Harpo rolled his eyes. “Honestly, I’d think that you were married and not just dating.”

“Shut up, Harpo!” shouted the mares.

“Quite,” said the composer. “Anyway, Lyra’s a good pony. Definitely worth having her on the team. Hard worker, talented, all that jazz.”

“Jazz? What jazz? I love jazz!” came a bright voice from behind Harpo.

Harpo nearly jumped off of the couch. “Damn it Doctor.”

“You really should be used to that by now.” The Doctor vaulted over the couch, ending up in a seat by Harpo. “So, how long was I gone?”

“About an hour,” answered Vinyl. “Where’d you go this time?”

“Oh, just out and about. We have a new employee, yes?”

“Lyra Heartstrings,” said Octavia.

“Oooo, I quite like Lyra. At least, Bon Bon likes Lyra, and Bon Bon gives me candy, so I absolutely adore Bon Bon, which means that I like Lyra too. And what did you all think of her?”

Vinyl rolled her eyes. “Octy’s being all introverted about it.”

Octavia smacked Vinyl’s leg.

“Ah, she’ll be fine,” said the Doctor with a dismissive gesture. “I’m sure that it’ll work once Lyra spends enough time here. Anyway, there is a tentative date set for the interview with High and Mighty.”

The musicians perked up immediately.

The Doctor smirked. “Right, that got your attention. Four days. Just enough time for Quick Quill and Snap Shot to set everything up with their newspaper. And, if my informants are anything to go by, Prince Blueblood is absolutely livid.”

“Of course he is,” said Harpo. “He doesn’t want word to get out.”

“Exactly,” agreed the Doctor.

“So what’s the plan?” asked Vinyl.

Doctor Whooves smiled. “Expose your parents for the horrible ponies that they are. Of course, you should try to be as non-aggressive as possible. The goal is to get them to break first, to have them go on a tirade about something just like before. This time, however, it will be recorded and published for all of Canterlot to see.”

“So we’re not doing anything special.”

“Exactly!” replied the Doctor brightly.

***

Blueblood paced his office. Of course. Of course High and Mighty would keep the interview. What was he expecting? Anytime he made a plan, anytime he wanted to prove that he wasn’t just a colt, all of Equestria would turn against him. And this would have worked! He would have dealt with Fancy Pants and would have been able to deal with Hoity Toity in time.

But now… something else was required. He hadn’t lost yet. No, there was still something he could do to further consolidate his hold over his industry, over his last chance. Cancel the interview? No, no; that wouldn’t work. Not after Quick Quill and Snap Shot had painted High and Mighty as victims. Word would leak out that Blueblood had cancelled the interview and ponies would begin to talk.

Yes, the interview itself was set in stone. As were the participants. An idea struck Blueblood. Every participant was merely a common pony. And common ponies were simple. Prince Blueblood could handle common ponies.

He trotted out of his office towards his secretary, a mare whose name he had never bothered to learn. The Prince wouldn’t be able to contact the pair in person, that would draw too much attention.

But a letter would be more than enough.

Author's Note:

*Looks up from Pokemon Y*
Oh my god, there's MORE THAN 2000 VIEWS!!
[ ](/joy)
*Looks back down*
Oh my god, A RALTS!! I SHALL NAME YOU SQUISHY!