• Published 13th Mar 2013
  • 409 Views, 5 Comments

Ballad of a Pirate - Skywing the Mutant



A music pony seeks adventure in Baltimare, but this is more then he had in mind.

  • ...
 5
 409

Arrival

Star Whistle‘s POV

The next few weeks passed rather calmly, despite me still not finding my black panflute. It turns out in one of the raids Thor found a medicine for her being... you know. Anyway, that passed, we... Sort of moved into the same room. The captain protested despite not caring either way, obviously, but he didn’t stop us. Since then, plans to raid ponyville to gain the General of the royal guard to come out into the open had been written up, and we had begun our travel to the area.

Anyway, I woke up to the sound of Thor snoring softly next to me. I felt a warm, fuzzy feeling inside as I just watched her sleep. No, we hadn’t done anything, but we still shared the bed. I looked down and suppressed a slight chuckle at the fact that she was lying on my foreleg, effectively holding me to the bed. I tried to slightly shift it, which caused her to move slightly, and pulling me closer with her forelegs. With a soft smile, I returned the embrace. We lay like that for several minutes, until Thor eventually woke up.

“Good morning.” She smiled as she looked at me with tired eyes, before letting out a yawn.

“Morning.” I returned the smile, and undid my hug so we could both get up.

Thor got up first, then popped her back. “Remember what we’re doing today?”

“... Will you take ‘no’ as an answer?” I asked with a slightly embarrassed grin.

“We’ll be in North Brickwood. We’ll be able to relax and have fun there.” Thor smiled then kissed me before stretching her front legs, then back.

I rolled out of the bed, landing on all fours. “Yeah, it’ll be nice to have a break from being on the ship all day.”

“I think the whole crew will benefit from it.” Thor smiled and opened the the large cabinet with most of their stuff. “That we’ll have tonight... Heat pills, don’t need them until next week... Ah, this.”

I glanced in the mirror, deciding to run a comb through my hair, getting it to a good point in a few seconds. “And what will we do in this night?” I asked with a slightly lopsided grin.

Thor’s smile changed ever so slightly, as a light blush crossed her face. “Probably after the red wine.”

I paused, and turned to look at her, my head tilted ever so slightly in curiosity, “... Huh, I didn’t see you as the wine type.”

“Actually this will be my first.” Thor commented as she laid two sticks on the table.

This time it was my turn to blush, “First, as in...?” I twisted my hoof uncomfortably.

“Well Yeah, that too.” Thor answered then looked at herself in the mirror.

“So I’m not the only one onboard.” I whispered to myself.

“Maybe this isn’t for me. Star, could you bunch up my mane and put the sticks in a cross pattern?”

“I can try.” I used my magic to pick up the sticks, and the hairbrush nearby, and began to fix her mane slowly, trying to get it right. Eventually, I managed to get the hair into a bun, with one of the sticks holding it in place. It wasn’t equal to a professional, but hey, I didn’t do bad.

Thor tilted her head and looked at her mane in multiple directions, before shaking her head. “Well, It was worth a try, but this doesn’t seem like me.”

“Yeah. I say you just wear it like you normally do.” I suppressed a yawn, and scratched the back of my neck. “It looks better that way.”

Thor suppressed a giggle and smiled as she looked at me through the mirror. “Aw, and do nothing with it for the special occasions?”

I gave a warm smile, “I’m sure it would just get in the way.”

“Ah, you’re no fun.” Thor trotted to the door after taking the sticks out of her mane. “Guess we should let the crew know we’re up.”

I took a quick glance at the clock, and, seeing the time was only 7AM, I felt my smile widen, “Eh, I don’t think anyone else is up yet anyway.”

“Well, then we can enjoy the morning air together then.” Thor smiled as she pushed the door open while looking over her back.

That’s one thing we could do, I thought to myself, before smiling and following her up to the deck.

Though the hallway was big enough for us to trot side by side, I still chose to follow Thor topside. “I thought he was over that.”

“Who?” I asked, looking past Thor to see Skywing at the bow, looking over the front of the ship. “Oh.”

“Skywing used to have a habit of waking up at five, I guess it was only temporary.” Thor said as she began to paw at the ground before looking at me. “Remember after we moved into the same room, I said that we’d be able to avoid future conflicts if you were to find common grounds with the captain?”

“Yeah, I remember.” I said with a slight sigh. “I’ll avoid it if I can.”

“Now’s your chance to find common ground.” Thor stated as I stood on the deck. “Trust me it could mean the difference between once tonight, and as long as you can hold out tonight.”

... I can... no... I must do this. I gave a nod. “Any ideas for what to talk to him about?”

Thor shrugged. “I don’t know, maybe why you acted the way you did when we overtook the fortress?”

“... That’s one option... Ok, I’ll give it a try.” I gave a small nod. After a few deep breaths, I took my first step, walking until I was next to the captain “Hey.” He stayed silent even as I sat next to him. “Look, I just wanted to talk to you for a moment.” The captain looked at me out of the corner of his eye only briefly. “You know that feeling when you‘ve done something that you want to forget?” After a few more seconds of silence, I turned away, “You know what, just forget I said anything.”

As I trotted away he said something that I don’t even think Thor would have expected. Something that caused me to freeze in my tracks. “My first, kill was... a six year old colt.”

I turned back to Skywing, “... What happened?”

“Deathmatch.” Skywing simply answered. “... I was only five.”

That... Woah. “How anypony sleeps after that is beyond me.”

Skywing closed his eyes then took a deep breath. “It took me a week before I could get any sleep.”

“... Let me guess, nightmares?”

“Trauma.” Skywing responded. It’s amazing that can sit so still as he talk about this. “I literally did not get any sleep.”

“... Wow, even I didn’t have it that bad after my first kill.” I said, looking out over the railing at the land below. “Then again, I wasn’t a colt at the time...”

“Remember, I kill because I was raised to kill.” I began to watch as Skywing stood up then went below deck. Thor then trotted to me.

“At least he didn’t blow up like last time.” Thor looked at the stairs as she spoke, then turned to me.

“That... I did not expect.” I said, leaning against the rails, my hoof on my face.

“Expect what?” she tilted her head some.

“I... Don’t think the captain would appreciate me repeating stuff about him.”

Thor put her hoof on my shoulder as she sat down. “Trust me on this one, Skywing is the kind of pony that unless he tells you, he wants to keep it a secret.” The tone I easily recognized as the ‘tell me now if you want to live,’ kind of tone.

I decided to take my chances, “Still not saying.”

Thor sighed, then leaned on the rail behind me. “At least tell me if you two found common grounds.”

“... In a way, I guess.” I turned to face her, “I think that actually wasn’t a bad idea.”

“Well, it’s a step in the right direction.” Thor hugged me as the cool morning air began to pick up.

“Yeah...” Something inside told me that it would be best if I changed the subject. “So... What’s the plan for today?”

“Spend some bits and have some fun in North Brickwood.” Thor smiled, before releasing me from the hug.

“I meant,” I paused to peck her on the cheek “What do you want to do while there?”

Thor blushes slightly. “I don’t know, I’ve never been to this area.” She then kissed me on my lips. “I don’t think any of us have been to North Brickwood.”

“Today’s just a whole list of firsts, isn’t it?” I said with a small laugh.

Thor giggled softly, then nuzzled me. “You’re the one to talk.”

“I never said it wasn’t like that for me.” I said, returning the sign of affection.

“Well isn’t this precious?” We heard Haze say, causing us both to jump at her sudden appearance next to us. “Oh, don’t mind me. I’m just waiting for ms. preppy to turn down the lights.”

I gave haze a look, and cast the strongest light-spell I knew. “Don’t ruin the moment.”

Haze turned away shielded her eyes with her hoof. “You asshole.”

Thor closed her eyes as the light began to sting her as well. “Can you turn it down, please. Crimson Haze and I go way back, further than me and Skywing.”

“... Fine.” I stopped the flow of magic into my horn, “but still.”

Haze took a moment to regain her vision before rolling her eyes. “It’s better than being caught by Stormy when you two finally french kiss.”

I felt my face grow hot, and looked at Thor, and seeing her just as surprised as me caused a grin to break across my face, “You know, she has a point there.”

“Yeah, I’d hate to think of what she’d do.” Thor almost seemed relieved with the bittersweet end of our morning.

“Hmm... About when should we be arriving at Brickwood?” I asked, looking off the side of the ship.

“About an hour from now, give or take a few.” Haze shrugged.

“Well, I guess I’ll grab a few things. See you in an hour.” I turned, and walked down the stairs, into the ship.

“Okay, I’ll take the wheel then.” Haze casually trotted to the wheel as I went below deck.

After several minutes of walking, I finally made it back to my (and Thor’s) room. I closed the door behind me before walking over to the bed, which I then used my magic to move, and reveal a small box, out of which I pulled a small bag. What was in the bag, you ask? Money. I quickly moved the bed back into place, and grabbed a small knife, hiding it in my tail, Always be prepared.

“Hi Star!” I jumped as Stormy called my name, and nearly scaring me half to death.

“Don’t do that, Storm.” I said, regaining my composure as I spoke. “So, how are you?”

“I’m fine.” Stormy answered as she stood in the doorway. “So...”

I let out a slight sigh, “Yes? What is it?”

“How are you and Thor doing?” Stormy asked, getting straight to the point. Sometimes I really wonder about her.

“Um... We’re doing well. Why?” I asked, raising an eyebrow.

“Just wondering,” Stormy happily chirped. “I think Thor is really lucky to have such a cute stallion as a coltfriend.”

“... Uhh...” Is she flirting with me?... I guess I’d better escape. “I’m going to head back up top.”

“Okay, I’ll start planning my day then.” Stormy began to trot back to her room. “Have somepony tell me when we’ve landed.”

“Will do.” I turned the other way, going back to the stairs.

“Find what you were looking for?” Thor asked as I got topside.

“Yeah, I’ve got what I need.” I said, flicking my tail in a way that showed the knife and bits.

“Ever heard of a saddle bag?” I heard Haze say from the wheel.

I let out a sigh, “Saddle bags are uncomfortable.”

“Maybe we can find you a padded saddle bag while we’re in Brickwood, Star.” Thor suggested as she began to stand upright.

“Maybe. I can’t confirm I’ll wear it though.” I said, looking down at the city as we approached.

“If you want to keep yourself from getting stabbed in the ass, you will.” Thor responded. “What’s with the knife anyways?”

"It's a habit." I said with a shrug, "If I have any need to use it, you'll see."

“I just realized I don’t know where we’re going exactly.” Haze looked off the bow with a worried expression as she held the wheel.

Thor looked at Haze, then me. “Go get the captain, tell him we need to know where to dock.”

"Yes, milady." I said, doing an over-the-top bow, before beginning to head back below deck.

“That was really cheesy.” Haze said as she leaned over the railing, looking at Thor.

I turned back for a moment, "I know. That was the point."

“Try to not be cheesy too often.” Thor raised her head after giggling to herself.

I was already below deck, so I wasn't really able to respond, but I did smile to myself as I trotted down the halls.

“That’s got to be the cutest thing I’ve seen you do all week.” I sighed in frustration as Storm trotted up to me. At least Caramel was behind her this time.

"Hey Storm, Caramel." I forced the annoyance I felt to the back of my mind as I spoke, "Do either of you know where the captain is?"

Caramel shook his head. “I saw him go into his room.” Stormy answered, in her usual chirpy tone.

"Thanks." I turned down a different hall, and continued my trot, this time with a set destination.

“You’re welcome, I’ll see you when you get top side.” I heard Stormy call out as I walked further down the hallway.

It took about four or five minutes to get to the room I was looking for. I gave a short, rapid knock, before opening the door. I looked around and found the captain laying on his bed, looking at the wall. "Captain?" I asked, taking a step into the room. He didn’t answer, only sighed. It didn’t take much but I knew something was really different about the captain compared to earlier. I wonder if this is about before... "Captain, is something wrong?"

“The memories of days past is something I’m never fond of.” Skywing responded, but didn’t move.

I sighed, seeing where this was probably going, “Do you want to talk about it?”

“I’d rather have a distraction.”

“Well, Haze doesn’t quite know where to land the ship. Once we’re in town I’m sure you’ll have distractions galore.” I was trying my best not to sound condescending. The captain rolled out of bed then walked out of the room, at a pace that I would describe as ‘not quite a trot.’ Well, better than nothing. I thought as I followed him to the deck.

“Captain, we need a place to dock and I don’t know where.” Haze spoke up as I got topside with the captain. He went to the bow then looked around.

“Try down there.” The captain pointed to what looked like zeppelin docks that I could barely see.

“Aye aye.” Haze said, somehow making the ship go downward toward the dock. As we approached, I saw at least fifty airships. of various sizes.

“At last, a chance to strike it big.” I could hear Sprint talking to himself as he came topside.

“Just don’t lose too much of our funds this time.” Haze warned, giving Sprint a small glare.

“I ain’t gonna lose money.” Sprint retorted. “I’ll have you know that I’m going to get the jackpot.”

Haze seemed to be struggling to keep from laughing at him, “Pfft, sure, you go on thinking that.”

“Oh, come on. Have a little faith in him.” Stormy said as she glomped Sprint.

Sprint screamed. “Stay away from me, she devil!”

“Could we just focus on landing the ship now?” I asked, feeling a bit worried that we might crash if everyone is shouting and not really paying attention.

Haze sighed. “Come here Stormy.” Stormy began to trot up to Haze as she tried to keep herself from crying, though she was really close. “He’s just deathly afraid of you, which I admit is very funny.”

“Hey!” Sprint began to glare at Haze.

Oddly enough, despite all the bullshit going on, Haze managed to get us into the dock without so much as a scratch on the hull of the ship. “Well, I guess we should get going.” I said, jumping down, and using a slow-fall spell, making me gently touchdown on the wooden planks.

“Well hold on, we don’t even know how long we’re staying.” Caramel pointed out.

“Four days, at most.” Skywing answered. “Longer if we have reasonable cause.”

“Ok, well,” I levitated Thor down, placing her next to me on the docks, “Onward!”

“Hold on, aren’t we forgetting something?” Thor put a hoof on my back.

“... Are we?” I looked at Thor who nodded towards Sprint and Caramel as Stormy glided to the ground. “Oh, right.” Yes... Forgot... Haze teleported next to us as I levitated pretty much everyone else down, except for Skywing who just jumped, and surprisingly didn’t break anything.

“Now, like you said, onward.” Skywing stated as he trotted ahead of us.

~ End of chapter 6