• Published 12th Mar 2013
  • 1,020 Views, 190 Comments

My Little Teelo: Masquerade - Ardwolf



Teelo was hoping her "summer school" in Hejm would be dull. Or at least peaceful. She should have known better. It's going to be a LONG summer...

  • ...
8
 190
 1,020

Final Preparations

In which we discover our heroine is not the only one who is preparing for her arrival in Equestria.

Earth, Friday afternoon, May 28, 2013 3:12 PM

“So, what do you have to pack?” Emma asked as the two girls walked into Teagan’s room. “You’re going to be gone all summer—I bet your suitcases are huge. How many are you taking?”

“None, actually. Oh, and I fibbed just a bit, I’m already packed. I just wanted to hang with you for a while since I won’t see you till September. Plus, I wanted to ask a favor.”

“Favor?” Emma asked, puzzled.

“Yeah,” Teagan paused, unsure of how to word it. “It’s—look, I know this whole secrecy thing really sucks for you, and you’ve been an absolute saint about not asking me questions and you have no idea how much I appreciate it. You’ve gone above and beyond what even a best friend should have to put up with.”

“Uh huh. This is not news, Teelo,” Emma said, grinning.

“Yeah. What I’m trying to say is that sometimes I’m afraid you think I don’t trust you. But I do, Emma. It’s just that this whole thing is bigger than me and you. If anyone found out the truth a lot of very good people could get in horrible trouble. If it wasn’t for them I would be dead right now, Emma. Dead. That’s not an exaggeration. I owe them my life, you understand? So I owe it to them to keep the secret.”

Emma blinked, taken aback by the look on Teagan’s face.

“Whoa, wait a minute. I know that freak show was crazy, but—he tried to kill you?”

Teagan nodded. “Twice—at least—and it wasn’t just me. Flu—that girl I talked about? You remember? There were others too. So it’s not that I don’t want to tell you, I honestly can’t.”

“Hey, you already told me this back in January,” Emma said, holding up her hands. “I know it’s a big deal and I’m okay with it.”

“Yeah, but I need to do something to prove I trust you.” She went to her closet and retrieved something from the top shelf, having to strain to reach it. She brought it back and laid it on the bed next to Emma.

“What is it?” Emma asked, staring at the cloth-wrapped bundle.

“My friends gave it to me as a keepsake,” Teagan said, resting her hand on the bundle. “I want you to keep it safe for me while I’m gone this summer. It’s the most precious thing I own, Emma. I trust you. I really, really trust you.”

“Wow.” Emma stared at the bundle, shocked. “Um, can I see it?”

“Well, duh,” Teagan laughed as she carefully unwrapped the bundle to reveal a narrow wooden box a little over a foot long and about three inches square.

“Oh, that’s so pretty!” Emma exclaimed. “All that carving, it’s amazing.”

“You have no idea,” Teagan said, running her hand along the lid. “They told me the artist made it especially for me. It look her nearly two weeks just to do the carvings. But that’s not the most amazing part. The box, the lid, and the hinges connecting them were carved from a single solid piece of wood—and it’s still one piece, even though it moves.”

“No way! That’s unbelievable.” Emma looked down at the box in awe. “No wonder it’s your most precious possession.”

“Oh, that’s not the half of it. Look inside, Emma.” Teagan was regarding the box with a warm smile.

“I’m afraid to touch it. What if I break it?” Emma said

Teagan laughed and unlatched the lid, showing her friend how the shining fasteners worked. “These are real gold, by the way.”

“You’re kidding.” Emma was beyond surprise now.

“I swear.”

“This thing must be worth a fortune, Teelo!”

“I guess it is. Go ahead. Open the lid.”

Trying to keep her hand from trembling Emma finally worked up the courage and gently lifted the lid. She didn’t let go until it was safely touching the back of the box. The inside of the box consisted of ten compartments, lined with padded while silk so brilliant it nearly glowed. Nestled carefully in each compartment was a miniature figurine.

Emma’s brow wrinkled in perplexity.

“Teelo, what are these?”

“Statuettes,” Teagan replied. “The body of each one is a different semi-precious stone. The eyes and other details are made with real gems. I’m told the artist didn’t use any glue either. I have no idea how she managed to make the different pieces stay together.”

Emma carefully picked up a bright purple statuette. “Is this a lizard? Why is it standing upright?”

“It’s a baby dragon.” Teagan couldn’t help snickering, thinking of how Spike would react to being called a lizard.

“Huh. All these little details are amazing. You almost need a magnifying glass to even see everything. I can’t imagine making something like this.”

She reverently returned the statuette to its compartment and leaned forward so she could see the rest of the figurines.

“Is that a horse?” She asked, pulling out a roan colored figurine. “Wearing an eye patch? What in the world? Is this a pirate horse or something?”

Teagan lost it, breaking into gales of laughter and falling back on the bed. She could image Sun Hammer as a pirate, bellowing: “Arr, me hardies! Avast and all that there bilge blether, so it be!”

“I’m glad I made you laugh, but seriously. What are these? I mean I can see horses, and unicorns and some of them have wings so I guess they’re pegasuses, but the two big ones I haven’t a clue. Winged unicorns? Pega-corns maybe? Uni-suses?”

Teagan snickered, but tried to control herself when Emma glared.

“Are you going to tell me, or just laugh at me?” The brown haired girl demanded.

“Okay, okay.” She carefully took Sun Hammer’s figurine from her friend.

“Emma, meet Sun Hammer, Keeper of the Armory, Hero of the Crown and Champion of the Sun. He’s a fierce pony with a Scottish accent and a take-no-prisoners attitude. Do not mess with him or those he loves.”

“Uh, what? Teelo, seriously, what?”

“He’s from Equestria,” Teagan explained.

“What’s Equestria?” Emma asked patiently.

“Seriously? You never heard of Equestria? My Little Pony?

My Lit—you mean that cartoon for little girls?” Emma asked in disbelief, raising her eyebrows.

“Yeah. But it’s not just for little girls anymore. Trust me.”

“So let me get this straight. Your friends, who are really powerful people in their government, gave you a custom made set of My Little Ponies that cost a fortune?” Emma asked in disbelief. “Seriously? What the hell, Teelo?”

“Like I said, it’s a keepsake to remember them by.” Teagan put the Sun Hammer figurine back, a fond smile on her face.

“Well unless they’re horses I can’t imagine why they’d choose this for a keepsake,” Emma retorted.

Teagan barked a short laugh.

“Um, let’s just say there was a good reason. I can’t say why without revealing a secret, so I’ll just say it made me cry when they gave me this. Keep it safe for me, okay?”

Emma studied her friend, who was no longer smiling. Emma wondered what she was thinking about. Sometimes Teelo seemed completely normal, but occasionally she’d grow quiet and watchful. Or say the most outrageous things as if they were utterly commonplace. Like right now.

But Emma trusted her friend.

“All right, Teelo. I promise I’ll keep it safe,” she answered firmly.

She left a little after nine o’clock, taking the keepsake with her.

ooOoo

“Are you ready, Sun Hammer?” Subtle Dancer asked, breathing deeply as he readied himself for the strenuous task ahead.

“Aye, ye great walkin’ spindle,” Sun Hammer grumbled. “Tis ower early, and that’s a fact. Twill be fower hours till Celestia opens her blessed eyes, much less stirs herself, so it be.”

“Three hours 19 minutes,” the unicorn corrected him absently.

“Oh, aye? Nou ye be a bletherin’ pocket watch an’ all?” The gigantic earth pony snorted. “Open the daft thing an’ let me gae fetch the lassie. Maybe catch forty winks while we’re waitin’ tae come back.”

“Somebody got up on the wrong side of the stall this morning,” Subtle Hammer retorted, using a deliberately vulgar expression.

Sun Hammer snorted in amusement.

“Aye, keep that up an’ we’ll hae ye speakin’ proper in nae time a tall! An jus’ so ye ken, Subtle Dancer, A should be in that stall yet!”

The unicorn shook his head, knowing the irascible earth pony would insist on having the last word.

“It’s time.” The black unicorn levitated a pair of large gems with his magic, bringing them together before laying his horn on the pair. A single flare of silver light caused them to glow with a soft pale blue radiance.

“All right, the timing stones are set.” He let one stone fall gently in front of his hooves while he levitated the other into Sun Hammer’s saddlebag. “Remember, I’ll open the bridge again in four hours. Five minutes before then the stone will chime and begin to flash brightly. Five minutes after that it will chime again and the light will go out. That’s when I’ll start opening the Bridge.”

“Aye. A do wish we’d o’ had these the last time,” Sun Hammer grunted.

Subtle Dancer didn’t bother answering; he was too busy summoning the immense surge of magic it took to activate the Bridge of Days. As the flare from his horn turned blinding a speck of light appeared in mid air and rapidly spread to become a rainbow bordered hole seven feet across. Light poured out and Sun Hammer could see three humans on the other side, waiting for him. He trotted nonchalantly through the hole in reality as if it had been nothing more than a footbridge over a stream.

With a gasp of relief the unicorn released his magic, watching the hole rapidly shrink to a bright dot and disappear with a pop.

ooOoo

In the trees the watcher narrowed its eyes, leaving them slits of pale azure blue. Soundlessly it withdrew, its midnight black body rendering it nearly invisible in the pre-dawn darkness. A short two minute walk brought it to its queen. Silently it bowed, waiting.

Well? The thought formed in its mind.

It is as you were informed, Your Majesty. The unicorn opened a hole in the air and the giant earth pony went through it. After the hole closed the unicorn seemed very tired. He will open it again in four hours.

Yes! Her thought rang with triumph. You have done well! You were not seen?

No, Majesty. The stupid ponies are standing behind their ring of torches. It blinded them to anything in the trees.

Good. The queen reared from sheer excitement and broadcast a message to her swarm.

When the unicorn opens the Bridge of Days in four hours time and has exhausted his magic we will strike. Be ready, my children! Vengeance begins today!

The forest was completely silent, but the wild cheering thoughts of her children made her heart swell.

ooOoo

Earth, Friday night, May 28, 2013 9:37 PM

Emma was lying on her stomach in her pajamas with Teagan’s keepsake open in front of her. She was staring at a white winged unicorn wearing a gold crown set with tiny gems.

“Who are you?” Emma asked the figurine whimsically. She’d been trying to figure out what the figurine represented. It was clearly royalty, but beyond that she hadn’t a clue.

She froze in shock when the stone figurine in her hands spread its wings and looked at her. Flapping its wings it rose slowly in the air until it was hovering in front of her face.

“Greetings. I am Princess Celestia, co-ruler of the magical land of Equestria. But you already knew that, didn’t you, Lady Teelo?” The very much alive diminutive winged unicorn chuckled. “Gotcha!” It settled back onto her hands, folded its wings, and turned back to stone.

“Holy crap!” She stared at the tiny stone statuette, unable to believe what had just happened. “That is not possible. It just—no. No, I did not just see a statue come to life. I didn’t.”

She was afraid to move, acutely aware the sculpture in her hands was probably worth more than her parent’s entire house, not to mention being Teelo’s most prized possession. But she didn’t want it touching her any more. Carefully she pulled her hands apart and let the figurine slip onto the covers. When she was sure it was safe she wriggled backward off the bed. Once on her feet she backed rapidly away, staring fixedly at the thing.

It lay there innocently, looking like nothing more than a tiny toy unicorn with wings, lying on its side. It didn’t move, it didn’t speak, and it didn’t break the laws of reality. Emma eyed it carefully for five minutes.

When nothing else happened she crept forward, ready to bolt if the statue so much as blinked. Carefully she sat on the edge of the bed. When the statuette still didn’t react she took a deep breath and asked another question.

What are you?”

The statue came back to life, rolling onto its stomach and getting to its feet.

“It’s just a little spell, Lady Teelo. There’s only enough magic for a few tricks each day. Then it has to rest before the magic builds up again.” The statue stiffened back into stone.

Magic? There’s no such thing as magic! Who could make something like this? Oh God, that’s easy. NOBODY could make something like this! It’s not possible!

Taking another deep breath she addressed the statuette.

“Princess Celestia?”

The statue came to life. “Hello, Lady Teelo. I took the liberty of enchanting each of the figurines. Everyone was happy to model for the spells that animate these toys. We thought since you’d never see us again we should give you something to remember us by. Each figurine will respond to simple questions with short answers. Since each of your friends gave a little of themselves to the spell, their figurine will act like the real pony—or dragon, in Spike’s case. I hope you never forget us. Nach bhfuil dearmad Capaill, Lady Teagan Laoise, scion of clan O’Gara. Fare you well, col ceathrar.”

With that, the tiny winged unicorn paused, and said “The magic fades for today, Lady Teelo. It will return with the rising of the sun.” And the statuette become stone again.

“Princess Celestia?” Emma asked. The figurine remained stone.

Huh, guess the battery ran down. Emma thought, picking up the figurine and returning it to its box, thinking hard.

The figurine had kept calling her Lady Teelo, like a title or something. She knew for a fact Teagan’s family wasn’t descended from nobility, so it made no sense. And what was that about the statuettes acting like the real ponies? Emma stiffened.

Teelo laughed. She thought in shock. What was it? I said the box only made sense as a keepsake if they were—

“Horses. That’s when she laughed,” Emma said numbly. “And she said Sun Hammer was from Equestria, and that was from My Little Pony—a cartoon.”

“That’s it. I’m going nuts. This isn’t possible. Get a grip, Emma!”

She stared at the box again. Princess Celestia’s battery was dead, but there were nine other figurines. She started to reach for the blue winged unicorn, but changed her mind and picked up Sun Hammer’s figurine instead.

“Who are you?” She asked it.

She didn’t flinch when it came to life.

“A be Sun Hammer, daith o’ the Troll King, Keeper o’ the Armory, Hero o’ the Crown, an’ Champion o’ the Sun. Who be ye?

The statuette looked at her suspiciously.

“I’m Emma, Teelo’s friend. I guess you’re a friend of hers too?”

“Aye. A be her faithful friend, lass. I miss her smile, that bampot O’Gara. If A kenned the way o’ it, A’d open the Brig and come visit that lassie, so A would.”

The figurine went inert.

Emma thought for a few minutes and then asked.

“Who is Teelo?”

The statuette tossed his head.

“Who be she? She be the Lady Teagan Laoise, o’ the clan O’Gara! The lass what picked up Crush and went out ta battle that nyaff Discord. She’s the lassie what charged naked across broken glass tae save her friend Fluttershy when Discord would hae done unspeakable things tae her afore lettin’ her die! She’s the one who saved Princess Celestia her own blessed self! And in the doin’ saved all o’ Equestria! She be Teelo, who named me friend when nary other pony would, savin’ the princesses. She be a hero, so she be.”

The statue paused. “Ah, lassie, A be gettin’ a muckle tired. Hae tae see ye tomorrow. Well met, Teelo’s friend.” It reverted to stone.

This pony hadn’t mistaken her for Teelo the way Celestia had. Emma wondered why.

But then she stiffened, remembering the name Teelo had started to say. Flu—could that be Fluttershy? She’d said the crazy man had been planning to torture the girl to death. Sun Hammer had said this Discord was planning unspeakable things before letting her die

Emma swallowed. Crazy or not, impossible or not, the figurines were telling her the same story Teelo had. But Teelo had said girl, not pony.

Thinking back Emma started putting the pieces together. The first time, when she was abducted, that must have been Discord—whoever Discord was—another pony, maybe?

She needed more answers.

The next hour was spent asking the figurines questions, from the strangely formal Princess Luna to the crazy pink one. After she was done she carefully closed the box and wrapped it up, then stored it safely on her closet shelf, in the back where her kid brother wouldn’t find it.

Then she got dressed and very quietly let herself out of the house.

ooOoo

Earth, Friday night, May 28, 2013 11:00 PM

“Sun Hammer!” Teagan glomped the huge pony as soon as the Bridge closed. “I’m so happy to see you! And this time it’s all happy news!”

Sun Hammer nuzzled her hair affectionately.

“Aye, lassie. Even if it be too early by half,” the stallion grumbled.

“Poor baby,” Teelo crooned. “I forgot Equestria’s almost 5 hours ahead. It’s three in the morning for you, isn’t it? I’m sorry.”

“Nae, lassie. A be fine. Does a cuddy good tae bellyache a wee bit nou an’ again.”

“Hello, Sun Hammer,” Elaine said smiling at the picture the pair of them made.

“Well met, Lady O’Gara,” Sun Hammer returned. “Greetings, Lord O’Gara. A hope A find ye well?”

“Oh yes. It’s good to see you, Sun Hammer. How’s life been treating you?”

“As tae that, well better than A hae any right tae hope.” The pony smiled a somewhat goofy smile as his eyes lost focus.

Teagan gaped at him. She’d seen that look often enough at school.

“Sun Hammer, you found somebody?” Teagan asked in delight, beaming.

“Eh?” His focus snapped back to the girl. “What did ye say, lass?”

“I said—oh how do ponies say it—oh right. Did you find your special somepony?”

He took a startled step back.

“Nou, whoa there lassie! A ne’er said that, so A dinnae!” He blushed. “Dinnae wanna jinx it, so A don’t.”

“Who is it?” Teelo demanded, hopping up and down. “Tell me!”

“Maybe nae pony. She might jes’ be showin’ pity tae the poor outcast, so she might,” he warned her.

Sun Hammer, tell me right now!” Teelo glared.

“Well, it be like this, lassie. Jus’ after ye left Faerie Mist, well she comes tae the armory on business fer the Princess, ye ken. It were late, an’ we both missed dinner, so we did. Well, she got tae talkin, as mares will, an afore I know it she was actin’ all shocked that A ne’er went tae the dinin’ hall, an’ made me own meals in me quarters instead o’ lettin’ the kitchens dae it.”

“I tried tellin’ her nopony wanted me around, so twere better for everypony, but she would nae hear o’ it.”

He paused, remembering, a smile growing on his muzzle. “An’ nothin’ would satisfy her till she traipsed down tae the kitchens and came back wi a cart full o’ all kinds o’ vittles.”

“Best meal I e’er ate, so it was. And she ate it wi me.” He sighed happily.

“Funny thing be, she’s taken supper wi me e’er night since. And we talk.” His eyes focused on the entranced girl.

“She’s a pretty little thing,” he said contemplatively. “And smart as a fox, she is. Princess Celestia’s first lady-in-waiting, ye ken. High above this cuddy, that’s fer certain sure. Still, there’s a fire in her, ye ken? Strong, so muckle strong. Would nae wanna cross her, A would nae.”

“I know her,” Teelo said, grinning. “I think you two would make a great couple.”

“Isn’t Faerie Mist the lavender pegasus with the floaty yellow mane?” Elaine asked. “The one who invited us to Equestria? I thought she was very nice. So refined.”

“You never saw her angry, Mom. I have,” Teelo said with a grin. “Sun Hammer’s right. You would not want to cross that mare. I’m so happy for you, Sun Hammer!”

“A’ll nae count me chickens,” Sun Hammer said, shaking his head. “But A’ll nae refuse her company neither, so A will nae.” He suddenly shook himself.

“Listen tae me! Gossipin’ like an old mare. Oh, an’ speakin’ o’ gossip, there’s news aplenty ye need tae know afore ye gae back, an’ that’s a fact.”

“If this is going to be a long story, then let’s all get comfortable,” Elaine said. “Sun Hammer, there’s a pillow for you if you want to sit down.”

“Thank ye kindly, Lady O’Gara.” Sun Hammer sat with surprising delicacy. He waited for the others to be seated before taking a deep breath.

“Tis been a busy few months in Equestria, lassie, an’ no mistake. First, the Crystal Empire reappeared, so it did! The crystal ponies whit were gone fer centuries, they’re back! An’ apparently, along with ‘em a villain by the name o’ King Sombra. Nasty piece o’ work that one. Undaid, he is. A shadow lurkin’ in the frozen north, wantin’ tae enslave the empire again, like he did afore. Twas his curse what made the Empire vanish, so it was. Even as he fell he took the Empire wi him.”

“Nasty,” Teelo commented, grimacing. “No more snow for this little girl. One overgrown ice cube with side order of mega-blizzard was more than enough, thank you! Mix in undead ghosties and I’m going home.”

Sun Hammer chuckled. “Aye. Still, Princess Cadence has the matter well in hoof, and Shining Armor wi her.”

“Princess Cadence? What’s she got to do with the Crystal Empire?” Teelo asked in confusion.

“Did ye nae see her cutie mark? Tis the Crystal Heart, so it be! Symbol o’ the Crystal Empire,” Sun Hammer said.

“Hang on, I saw her as a teenager! She was foal-sitting Twilight Sparkle, Sun Hammer. How can she be the ruler of an empire that vanished so many centuries ago?”

“Ye saw whit nou?” Sun Hammer asked, startled.

“I guess I never told you, did I?” Teagan said in realization. “What’s the best way to say this? Well, in this world there’s apparently somebody who can see what happens in Equestria, like they’re using a crystal ball or something. That person got together with a bunch of other people who make shows—I guess you’d call them plays. Anyway, these plays are about Equestria. In one of them I saw Princess Cadence when she was foal-sitting Twilight. Twilight looked about six maybe, and Cadence looked to be my age or younger.”

“By Discord’s twisted antler!” Sun Hammer swore. “I ne’er heard the laik! So ye be sayin’ ye seen all kinds o’ goin’s on in Equestria?”

“Yeah, pretty much. Most of the time it’s about Twilight and her friends, but I saw the Grand Galloping Gala, their fights with Discord, the royal wedding and a bunch of other stuff.”

“Did ye e’er see me then?” Sun Hammer asked.

Teagan shook her head. “No. I’ve never seen the Horns mentioned either, or Tišina or me for that matter. Maybe whoever’s watching concentrates on stuff they can use for their shows.”

Sun Hammer snorted. “Hah! I was there in the throne room when ye were fightin’ Discord, lass. Me heart was in me throat the whole time, so it was. Twas like watchin’ a legend come tae life. If anything was worth makin’ a play aboot, it woulda been that!”

“I sincerely hope not,” Elaine said in shock. “That’s the last thing Teagan needs! I couldn’t stand to see, my daughter naked on nationwide TV smacking some dragon with a club.” She shuddered.

“Beggin’ yer pardon, yer Ladyship,” Sun Hammer said, bobbing his head in apology. “But twere truly heroic, so it was. A will ne’er forget it till me dyin’ day.”

Not helping!” Teagan hissed quietly at him.

“The Princess assured us there would be no danger this time, Sun Hammer. Did she lie?” Elaine asked quietly. Teagan winced.

This will not end well, she thought, cringing.

“Princess Celestia ne’er lies!” Sun Hammer shouted, coming to his feet and glaring. “She is all that is good and kind and honest, so she be! Dinnae insult her, Lady or ye’ll be answerin’ tae me!”

“Mother! Sun Hammer!” Teagan snarled, smacking the stallion on the neck and glaring at her mother. “I swear you two can’t have a simple conversation without starting a damn war! Now both of you apologize, and I don’t want to hear another cross word from either one of you! You’re acting like two alley cats just itching to fight!”

Sun Hammer’s expression could only be described as gobsmacked. His good eye was wide and his mouth half open, ears held straight up. He goggled at Teagan silently.

Elaine O’Gara was equally stunned, both from Teagan having struck the pony and her completely unexpected outburst. There was something in her daughter’s glare that made her profoundly uneasy. She knew Teagan would never hurt her, but…

John O’Gara was watching the byplay calmly, as if a thousand pounds of angry pony hadn’t been shouting at his wife a second before. But the man’s gaze was reserved for his daughter, and there was a thoughtful look on his face.

Well?” Teagan snarled at Sun Hammer, who opened his mouth to answer but then looked past Teagan. His eye widened even further.

“Have I come at a bad time?” A female voice asked sardonically from the living room doorway.