• Published 11th Mar 2013
  • 9,845 Views, 152 Comments

Learning to Forgive - The Fields of Ice



Six years after Spike and Twilight have a huge fight, Spike returns to find more than just an old friend.

  • ...
24
 152
 9,845

Chapter Two: I Missed You

Through the cool night air trotted two regal Alicorns, one lavender the other pink. Each was sporting the most exquisite gowns in all of Canterlot. They giggled and laughed as they talked about their prior meeting with the zebras and Hooviets. It was quite obvious they were most pleased with the outcome.

“Did you see the look on that Zebra’s face?” giggled Cadence.

Twilight let out a laugh. “When I stood up, I thought he was about to wet himself! And look who’s talking Mrs. We will end all trade!”

The eldest Alicorn rolled her eyes. “Well it got his attention, didn’t it?”

Twilight chuckled a little. “Wow, we really should have become actresses instead. We’d make a killing!”

Cadence smiled to Twilight before looking to a guard standing at the castle gates. Instantly, he stepped forward and began to open the massive entrance. As he did so, the metal creaked and groaned as you’d expect from such an old castle.

“So,” began Twilight, shooting Cadence a playful look. “Shining still in the dog house?”

She giggled. “What do you think?”

“I’ll take that as a yes then.”

Before either of the two mares could look up, a second guard noticed their approach and began to open the doors to the majestic castle. Inside was an absolutely pristine galley. Its shimmering white walls were adored with massive silk flags of Equestria, each only inches away from the ceiling and floor. At its center was a huge stair case carved of the finest marble, which led to the rest of the castle’s many rooms. However, both princesses had seen this magnificent work of architecture and decorative skills many times before, so they didn’t pay much mind.

Stepping inside, Cadence let out a yawn and stretched out her forelegs slightly. “Well, I’m beat. I think I’ll head back to my room.”

Twilight gave a yawned as well. “Yeah, I’m a little tired myself, but there’s a few things I need to get done.”

----------

As Twilight closed the door behind her, her cheerful expression quickly turned to one of sorrow. With the glow of her horn, she flicked on a few lamps and sighed. Looking to the nearest wall, she could see several pictures of her and Spike; some were from before they had moved to Ponyville, others after.

Unknown to Spike, was the fact that he was not the only one having these dreams. However, in the case of Twilight, hers were much more intense. She blamed herself entirely for making Spike leave, and because of this, the past six years of her life have been an absolute hell. She dared not to tell many her true thoughts, but found refuge in discussion with Cadence. Even so, she did everything she could to hide how much this issue was truly affecting her.

Twilight went over to her bookshelf and slid out the latest Daring Doo book. She figured something completely unromantic and off the wall might send her train of thought down a different set of tracks. She found this to be utterly false, for after only a few minutes of reading, she couldn’t help but find the secondary character somewhat reminiscent of Spike. She found her dopy yet still funny and compassionate personality mirrored his. Because of this, she set the book down and just leaned back in her seat.

She closed her eyes and just let her mind wonder. On nights like these when fighting it was proving useless, she just found it best to let her emotions take hold. She wondered what Spike was doing right now, if he was happier, and above all, if she’d ever see him again.

“Perhaps this was for the best,” she thought.

Though she dearly missed him, she only wished for him to be happy, and if where ever he was gave him happiness, then that was fine by her. However, she couldn’t escape the pang of sadness that struck her heart at this thought.

Similarly to Spike, Twilight had begun to have mixed feelings on the issue as well, but she had a clear understanding of what they were. She felt sorrow for losing years of happiness with him, anger for her actions, regret for that fateful night, and lastly, love.

She had discovered the final emotion not long after Spike left. Though she had always cared for him, she had never really known just how much until he was stripped from her life. Now however, that very same spark struck nearly six years ago has become the roaring blaze of longing that filled her heart today.

Twilight wished dearly each night to be able to hold her love in her hooves and tell him how she truly felt, but she feared that now she’d never get the opportunity to affirm it. She also knew that such an emotion being returned was unlikely, but even so, just having him back would go a very long way at repairing the damage.

With a sigh, she stood and trotted into the kitchen. She assumed based upon her emotional standpoint that her dreams would once again grant her no sleep, so she set about making herself some tea.

After a few minutes, she had a kettle of water boiling. She hoped that some of her favorite tea might take some of her emotional edge off, yet she doubted this. Her mind was just too clouded tonight for her, at least weekly, remedy to have any desirable affect.

As Twilight stirred the steaming glass, she heard a sudden knock at the door. She sighed, not exactly wishing to entertain any visitors at the moment. Looking to her clock she saw that it was almost ten thirty. She found the timing of such a visit to be a little odd, especially considering that she was a royal after all.

‘This better be important,’ she thought.

As she trotted over to the door, she heard the visitor knock once more.

“One second,” she called back.

Quickly, she opened the door and what she saw caused her very blood to run cold. There before her, stood Spike. Each of their expressions seemed to mirror each other’s with a mixture of fear and disbelief.

“H-Hey Twilight,” stuttered an astounded Spike.

Twilight offered no such reply and only continued to gaze into his emerald eyes. Since her facial expression was unwavering, Spike began to feel a bit nervous, afraid that she might go so far as to throw him out. However, as he noticed tears beginning to well in her eyes, he knew this not to be the case.

Once her mind had been given enough time to process these events, Twilight instinctively jumped up and wrapped her hooves around her friend. As of yet, she still was having trouble fathoming that this was truly happening.

As she felt the warmth of his embrace envelop her as well, she found herself beginning to bawl.

“Sp-Spike, I’ve missed you so much.”

Spike soon found that Twilight’s joyous reaction was beginning to rub off on him, for he was beginning to feel his eyes grow wet as well.

“I’ve missed you too.”

Twilight pulled back from the embrace just enough to look into his eyes once more. She did this to make sure she got an honest reaction from her next statement.

“B-B-But I thought you hated me.”

Mentally flinching at those words, Spike took a step back. “Twilight, I have never and will never hate you.”

This caused her to smile. “Well, do you wanna come in?” she asked, her voice still cracking.

The young dragon wiped away a tear of his own. “Yeah, I’d love to.”

----------

As Spike took a seat upon Twilight’s sofa, he noticed the several pictures adorning her walls. He quickly found himself lost in the memories of times long since passed. However, he just as rapidly, found himself swept back into reality by Twilight’s cheerful voice.

“I hope the guard didn’t give you too much trouble,” said Twilight as she took a seat next to him.

Spike moved over slightly, as to grant her more room. “Are you kidding? Night Light was one of the guards that were here when you and I were young, remember? It’s not like too many other purple dragons are requesting to see Princess Twilight you know?”

Twilight giggled. “Yeah, I-I guess not.” Pausing briefly, she allowed her joyous expression to take on a more serious tone for her next question.

“Spike, why did you come back?”

The dragon sighed before looking back to Twilight. “Twi, I came back because” Spike paused. “I came back because I needed to see you again. I’ve thought about you all the time.”

Suddenly, he felt a hoof lay upon his hand. Looking up he saw Twilight smiling at him with eyes cradling yet unfallen tears. “Spike,” she began. “you’re not the only one whose been feeling this way.”

The young dragon could feel a smile begin to tug at his lips. So slowly he reached over and pulled Twilight into an embrace. “Then I’m glad it’s not just me.”

She giggled slightly before leaning out of the hug. “Well, uh, can I get you anything? I just made some tea if you’d like some.”

Spike nodded with a smile. “That’d be great.” However there was one more pressing matter he needed to discuss. So as Twilight began to trot away, he reached out to her, gently grabbing one of her front legs. “Wait, there is something else I need to say.”

Twilight looked to him with some confusion as she retook her seat. “What is it?”

Spike looked away in thought, examining his next words carefully. He then looked over at Twilight. “Twilight, you have no idea how sorry I am. I never should have gone off like that. It was wrong of me and I’ve regretted it ever since that night.”

The Alicorn retook her seat and put a hoof around Spike. “You don’t have to apologize for anything. I know why you reacted the way you did, but what I did was so much worse. I’ve always wanted to take those words back and instead tell you how much you mean to me. We have a habit of saying stupid things when we’re angry, and I promise you I didn’t mean any of it.”

Spike felt a small tear of joy roll down his cheek as Twilight spoke. He’d been waiting six years to hear this and the only thing bothering him now is that he didn’t come back sooner.

Twilight stood, smiling to her draconic companion. “How about that tea now?”

----------

After a short few moments, Twilight came trotting back into the living room wielding two steaming cups in her magical grip. Spike took the cup that was presented to him and thanked her before taking a sip. It had a sweet peach flavor to it.

“So, where have you been all of this time?” she asked.

The young dragon rested his cup on a nearby table and began to explain. “Well, I’ve actually been working in Stalliongrad.”

Twilight raised an eyebrow. “Stalliongrad? Never thought I’d see a dragon there.”

Spike chuckled briefly. “Yeah, kinda why I chose it. I just wanted to get away without actually leaving Equestria.”

The Alicorn nodded. “I understand.”

“Now your turn. Why are you back in the old Canterlot Castle?” questioned Spike as he looked around the room.

Twilight found herself blushing slightly, her playful joy completely receded. “I moved back because of you. I figured that if I came here you might come back one day to see Celestia. That way I wouldn’t miss the chance. To be honest, you’re the reason why I decided not to move to Vanhoover.”

Spike leaned back in surprise. “Me?” he said as he placed a claw over his chest.

Twilight nodded. “Yeah, and don’t worry. I left everything in your room just the way it was, and so did Celestia.” Twilight looked away sadly at the mention of her former mentor’s name.

“Is something wrong, Twi?”

“No, it’s just… After you left, Celestia... She thought everything was my fault. And to be honest, I don’t blame her. You were raised as her son after all.”

Spike averted his eyes. “I’m so sorry Twilight, I didn’t even think about that.”

The Alicorn waved a dismissive hoof. “Don’t worry about it. Now that you’re back I’m sure she’s happier than ever.”

Spike withdrew a little, knowing what he must tell Twilight.

Keying in on the dragon’s behavioral change, Twilight raised an eyebrow. “You did tell her, right?”

“Twilight, I had to see you first. I’d been living without her for a while anyways, but with you…” Spike shrugged awkwardly. “Gotta set things right first, right?”

Twilight laughed lightly. “Okay, but we’ll do that first thing in the morning. You are staying the night, aren’t you?”

Spike tried not to seem expecting of such, so he replied “Only if you want me to.”

“Yes!” Twilight yelped a little more loudly than she meant to. Instantly, she threw her hooves over her mouth and tried in vain to fight off an oncoming blush.

The young dragon laughed briefly. “I’ll take that as an okay then.”

----------

As Spike slid his scaly body under the sheets of his old bed, he found himself being rather thankful for how Celestia had a habit of spoiling him. For instead of a small basket, like in Twilight’s library, Spike was instead laying in a twin sized bed with beautiful silk sheets and the finest feather pillows. As expected, it only took a brief amount of time for Spike’s eyes to begin to grow heavy and finally close. However, not everyone in the castle was yet asleep.

After only a few minutes, Spike’s bedroom door opened and in came trotting Twilight. She tried her best not to wake the sleeping dragon, but even if he stirred she had no intention of altering her plans. So, slowly, she leaned over Spike and kissed him on the cheek.