• Published 3rd Mar 2013
  • 7,263 Views, 166 Comments

Becoming Twilight - RandomGreymane



Twilight has recently become an alicorn. But being reborn isn't all it's cracked up to be...

  • ...
21
 166
 7,263

Chapter 11

Becoming Twilight - Chapter 11 by RandomGreymane (Mike Hebel)



The funeral was a small affair much to Twilight’s relief. In truth though she felt more than a little pity that Inkblot had fewer friends than Twilight had after her first year in Ponyville.

Even more telling that the weather ponies refused to clear the clouds for the funeral resulting in a depressingly dim day complete with drizzle.

“It wasn’t your fault.” a voice said breaking Twilight from her reverie “He was not right for a long long time.”

Twilight looked up to find a bedraggled dark green mare standing next to Inkblot’s headstone.

“I was his secretary” the pony continued “and probably the closest thing he had to a friend.”

“Your words regardless I still feel no small responsibility in this matter.” Twilight said quietly “I keep thinking if I’d done things differently...”

“Dear princess...” the mare said laying a hoof on Twilight’s shoulder “there was no way you could have prevented this. In the end Inkblot was not the young pony I started out knowing. He made his decision. He made his choice. No one could have stopped him. You are no more responsible than anypony else that beat him up.”

At those words Twilight looked directly into the mare’s eyes.

“You look surprised by that my dear.” the mare continued “Did you think that someone such as Inkblot would refrain from making enemies?”

“Thank you.” Twilight said “Your words give me comfort.”

Nodding to Twilight the green mare backed away to leave but Twilight called out to her to stop.

“I have something I would share with you.” Twilight said simply “You say you were friends with Inkblot. Would you like to see his last thoughts?”

“I....yes. Yes I would.” the mare said in surprise.

Leaning close Twilight cast the memory charm and touched her horn softly to the green mare’s forehead. Reaching she projected the events she experienced in the dreamscape, ending just after Luna sent Inkblot’s spirit to it’s next destination.

When Twilight finished the mare stood there with a look of surprise on her face. The suddenly tears started to pour down her cheeks. “Thank you!” she said “Thank you so much! I was so afraid that his pain would not end!”

Twilight nodded and smiled “Please keep what you have seen to yourself. While I and the other princesses do not fear the information it could upset some. And we wouldn’t want that now would we?”

“No we wouldn’t.” the mare replied “And after so much time with Inkblot I can certainly keep a secret.”

“Thank you.” Twilight said simply “I don’t mean to be rude but I don’t believe I caught your name.”

“Greenback.” the mare replied “I work in the financial district in Canterlot. I grew up with Inkblot and managed his portfolio among other things.”

“Will you be all right now that he is gone?” Twilight asked “It’s possible I could get you a position through the palace.”

“I should be fine but don’t be too surprised if I take you up on your offer.” Greenback replied with a wink “Well...regardless you have given me closure. And for that I can’t thank you enough.”

“You aren’t the only one.” Twilight said “This experience has drained me but it’s finally over.”

Nodding to Twilight in agreement Greenback smiled softly “Until we meet again?”

Bowing to the green mare Twilight smiled. “Absolutely!” she said.

Almost on cue the two departed in different directions.

The walk back to the Canterlot train station was uneventful. Twilight watched as those around her went about their business. Stepping into the train the sun finally broke through the clouds illuminating the remaining rain. Looking up Twilight saw a rainbow forming. Smiling she took her seat and settled in for the ride home. The train’s rocking motion caressing Twilight into a peaceful dreamless sleep.

==============================================

Making her way to the library Twilight felt tired but at peace for the first time in a long time. Entering her home she smiled and greeted the patrons warmly before heading up the stairs to once more collapse on her bed.

Well at least that’s finally over with. Twilight thought while studying the grain of the wood in her ceiling Still I really need to learn to pace myself better. This is all so...heavy sometimes. Price of royalty I guess. What was it Luna said? 500 years. I’m not sure I’ll last 5 years let alone 500.

Hearing a quiet sound Twilight looked over to find Spike standing there holding a red apple and as usual shuffling his feet a little.

“So...” he said handing her the apple “...how was the funeral.”

“Quiet.” Twilight replied levitating the apple to her lips and taking a bite “It brought closure to those that mattered.” she continued while chewing.

“You gonna be okay?” Spike asked raising an eyebrow.

“Until the next disaster.” Twilight said with a slight smile.

Finishing the apple Twilight thanked Spike and lay back down and closed her eyes. In the distance she could hear somepony singing a song but she could not make out the words. Something about counting stars she thought. Much closer she could hear the birds in the tree branches twittering away.

They sound so happy she thought What is it that they know that I don’t?

Letting herself relax Twilight heard a voice reply.

“It’s not what they know my dear princess it’s what they are able to let go of.”

Once again Twilight was standing on a plane of light surrounded by stars but this time it was Celestia by her side not Luna.

“Hmm...I’ll try to take that to heart.” Twilight replied looking up at her friend and mentor “It’s just so hard sometimes. I want to help everypony so much but I know I can’t help them all and sometimes I want to scream with the frustration of it all. So many ponies depend on me...”

“The fact of the matter, though tough to swallow, is that the world can survive without us.” Celestia said with sadness in her eyes which cleared away as she continued quickly “That does not make our beliefs or dreams or sacred charges any less important! But...but if you accept that fact it does ease the burden sometimes and help remind us not to take ourselves to seriously.”

“So you’re saying that even if I quit being a princess tomorrow everything would work out?” asked Twilight “What about you and Luna? What would happen if you just walked away?”

“A great many strange and possibly horrible things. But...” said Celestia spreading her hooves “...Equestria would go on. The world would go on.”

Shaking her head Twilight looked into Celestia’s eyes “Not the way it is now. And isn’t that the whole point of what we do? To keep things from devolving into disharmony? I don’t buy it and I will probably never accept that answer.”

“Time will teach you otherwise.” Celestia said staring back into Twilight’s eyes with her most stern expression. Then without warning she started to giggle.

Twilight tried her best but could not keep a straight face from that point on and in moments they were both laughing loudly.

Her laughter abated Twilight spoke “So I came to this place once before but hours passed for the rest of the world while I was here. Am I going to wake up in the middle of the night or something?”

“Eee-nope.” Celestia said smiling and trying her best to impersonate Big Macintosh “This place exists between moments. Time doesn’t pass for you when you’re here.”

“So why the hay did it take all day to get me back home last time?” Twilight asked.

“The answer is that here in-between moments nothing changes. You and I and everything here is unchanging at it’s base. Oh you can temporarily alter things but they don’t last.” explained Celestia “Your transformation however had to be permanent. So it had to happen in real time. And thus from moment to moment this place was recreated while you were transformed. It helped stabilize the process by sort of stepping through each stage.”

“So it took a whole day for the transformation?” said Twilight with a surprised look on her face.

“Indeed. It was no small thing we did.” Celestia continued “And by we I mean your sisters. This was a group effort my dear. You may not remember any of the process but the three of us were present for it in it’s entirety.”

Stunned the purple alicorn sat on her haunches and blinked. When she finally spoke Twilight said “I can’t describe how much I want to know how it was accomplished but the scale of the magick involved...”

“Oh it wasn’t too bad.” Celestia said a teasing note in her voice “You’ll learn about it eventually. As my sister says, you will have an eternity to study butterflies if you so choose. And for the record she’s said that for as long as we’ve been together. No one is sure why, least of all her.”

“It did sound like a comfortable turn of phrase when she said it to me.” Twilight replied smiling once again “Well I think it’s time I be going.” she said standing once again.

“Agreed.” said Celestia starting to release the spell bindings “As much as I wish a timeless talk between us I do have matters to attend to and so do you. Get some rest first though please Twilight?”

“I don’t think you’d have to ask me twice on that one...Tia.” said Twilight fading as she bowed. With a blink she found herself back in her bedroom next to her bed. Heading down the stairs she found Spike and let him know that she would be taking the rest of the day off before heading back up to her room.

Once again laying on her bed Twilight picked up the volume on Clover The Clever she kept on her nightstand. She only read a few chapters before she was sound asleep with the book on her pillow next to her.

A small dragon carefully closed the book and set it on the nightstand and left the room as quietly as he had entered.

==============================================

Twilight woke as she had fallen asleep - to birdsong. The twittering sounded loud but not unpleasant to her ears. Wiping the crust from her eyes she realized that she had slept through the morning and well into midday.

I didn’t realize how tired I was. Twilight thought while yawning.

Stretching her legs Twilight swung them over the side of the bed and walked to the window. Sitting on her haunches she gazed out the window taking in the bright sunlight filtering through the leaves.

Stretching her neck and making a face at the resulting popping noise Twilight turned from the window and headed downstairs without so much as looking in the mirror. Just before reaching the bottom of the stairs she used her magick to smooth out her main and feathers a bit.

Sometimes I forget I live in a public place. she thought to herself as she smiled at a pair of patrons browsing the fiction section Maybe I should move... Twilight though idly as she stepped out the front door to take in the sunlight.

Standing in the sun she closed her eyes to enjoy the warmth when her stomach made a sound similar to the manticore she and her friends had met the Everfree Forest so long ago.

That wasn’t that long ago. Twilight mused It seems so much longer...

Her stomach interrupted her thoughts causing her to chuckle to herself. Okay then. Better get something to eat. she thought to herself.

Stretching her neck again Twilight headed in the direction of the cafe.

Reaching the cafe she smiled as she saw Applejack sitting there enjoying a batch of deep fried apple fries. As she approached Applejack waved a hoof in greeting.

“Twilight! How the hay are you doin’?” said Applejack happily munching on her fries “I hear tell everything went well and Inkpot’s funeral?”

“Inkblot.” said Twilight levitating some of Applejack’s fries into her mouth and chewing “And mmmm yes it’s all been sorted out.” she said between bites.

“Good ‘ta hear.” replied Applejack signaling the waiter for another plate “I was a mite worried ‘boutcha seein as how broken up you were ‘bout the whole affair an all.”

“It was all so surprising.” Twilight continued as she floated another hooffull worth of fries off the plate “I expected the colt to change not to...er...take the action he did.”

Sighing a bit and smiling at her friend Applejack said “Aht times even tha best of us give up the ghost. Some ponies take that a bit further but that’s their choice. After our parents died if I hadn’t had Big Mac around I’d almost certainly have considered it myself. And where the hay did all muh fries go?”

Twilight stopped chewing immediately with a look of both surprise and horror on her face. Applejack seeing her expression burst out laughing as the waiter set a fresh plate of apple fries on the table.

“Why you!” Twilight said smiling suddenly and throwing a fry at Applejack who deftly caught it in her mouth and swallowed it whole “How the hay did you know to order more fries.”

“Twilight” Applejack said suddenly using her Manehatten accent “I am of course in the food service business so it’s my job to know when someone is hungry. Besides, “ she continued in her normal voice “a friend ‘o mine who is polite ta a fault sat down and just ate my food without a bye yer leave. I figured yer stomach was working yer head just a wee bit.”

Twilight blushed furiously and murmured an apology under her breath. “Sometimes I wonder how I managed to end up with friends as kind as all of you.”

“No surprise that.” Applejack continued around another mouthful of fries “Most ‘o the ponies I met that were good folk gain friends over time. Some ‘o them it takes a while as they don’t see other folk a whole mess. Like you. You spent your tahm studying with Princess Celestia so much that ya didn’t bump inta too many other ponies. Once ya did...well the rest y’all know.”

“All of you take such good care of me.” Twilight said wiping her mouth with a napkin “I honestly don’t know what I’d do without all of you.”

“Well...ain’t no use in speculatin’ as we’ll never know.” Applejack said finishing the last of the fries and ordering a couple of fruit juices to help them wash down the meal “In the end we get what we put out Twilight. And while yer one to make mistakes, as are we all, I ain’t seen ya put out nuthin but good. Are ya really all that surprised ya get good back?”

“Hmmmm....when did you get so wise?” Twilight said raising an eyebrow at Applejack.

“Ah have no eye-dee-er whatcher talkin ‘bout.” Applejack said concentrating on her drink. She chuckled after taking a sip.

“Uh-huh....riiiight.” Twilight said giggling a little “Oh! Hey! How did that growing incident work out?”

“Twilight I have never seen so many vines in mah lifetime.” Applejack said putting down her drink “Why there were more vines in one small patch of town than the time Big Mac tried raising a field of watermelons!”

“It’s all resolved now though right?” Twilight asked sipping on her juice.

“Absolutely.” replied Applejack “Ah and the other students managed to get it all under control. I tell ya Twilight iffn somepony had told me I’d be growin’ magick plants this time last year I’da thought they were as crazy as Pinkie Pie after an espresso!”

The funny thing is that you WERE growing magick plants a year ago...and before. Twilight thought to herself. Wisely she said nothing though behind her smile.

The two continued eating in silence for a while then with an un-Twilight-like burp Twilight smiled at her friend and thanked her again.

“Aww ain’t nuthin’.” Applejack responded with a wave of her hoof “Well I best be gettin’ back before Big Mac sets ta wunderin where ahve been. See ya later Twi!”

With that Applejack hugged her friend and headed off in the direction of Sweet Apple Acres.

Twilight remained seated for a while sipping the remains of her drink. Listening to those around her she heard a tiny filly emit a burp only to be corrected by her mother. “But I saw Princess Twilight do it!” she heard the filly protest. The mare though was having none of it and said that even IF the Princess in question had done such a thing that was no excuse.

Chuckling quietly to herself Twilight thought I wonder if Celestia or Luna go invisible around the pony populace and just listed to things sometimes.

Twilight heard a faint echo of the final word of her thought and knew it instantly to be one of her sisters replying from a distance but the connection was weak so she let it go.

Rising from her seat the waiter approached her with a slip of paper. “The bill Princess.” he said without much flourish.

“Wha?....Oh...yes. Of course.” Twilight replied. With a start she realized that she had left her bags back at the library. Concentrating and pretending to dig into her mane Twilight teleported the required bits, including a hefty tip, into a spot where she could reach then gave them to the waiter. “There you go! Keep the change for all your trouble!” she said.

“No trouble at all Princess Twilight.” the waiter replied. Bowing once the waiter returned to the inside of the cafe.

Whew! Twilight thought to herself. I wonder what people would say if they saw me have to charge a meal to the royal accounts. Still...better not do that too often or people will think my main is made of bits.

Stopping cold in her tracks Twilight suddenly exclaimed to herself HEY! Applejack stuck me with the bill!

Passing ponies could not for the life of them figure out what Princess Twilight was standing in the middle of the road laughing to herself about.

========================================================


At home again Twilight immediately set to relaxing and reading a book from her waiting stack. Metaphysical Mastery by Penderghast The Brown. she thought Just the thing.

Twilight read for several hours while not even aware that the snacks that conveniently appeared were being brought by her faithful dragon assistant. She only stirred from her reading when she noticed that the light had started to fade with the setting sun. Yawning and knowing herself all too well Twilight marked her place (almost at the end) and resisted the urge to finish the book.

Well this has been fun but I need to get back to work tomorrow. Twilight thought to herself ruefully Likely my desk is completely covered with things to do by now. I should get to bed early so I get a good start tomorrow.

Yawning again Twilight slid under the covers and turned off the lamp and promptly fell sound asleep.

And as had happened several times before woke up somewhere else.

Once again Twilight found herself on the plan of stars but this time it was Cadance standing there.

“Cadance!” Twilight exclaimed rushing forward to hug the Princess of Love.

“Twilight!” said Cadance returning the hug “You look tons better than the last time I saw you. All sorted out?

“I think so.” said Twilight without hesitation “I’ll always have some regrets for what happened but I know now that there’s nothing I could do to change those events.”

“You are SO doing better than me when I was your age.” replied Cadance “I had such a hard time with all those things that happen counter to my best intentions. Nearly broke me.”

“Not too surprising.” said Twilight “I mean you’re the Princess of Love right? That means anything that could cloud a person’s heart is going to hit you pretty hard.”

“Definitely.” said Cadance frowning a bit then smiling again “So...I heard you’re teaching little ones to belch now?”

“I have no idea what you’re talking about!” Twilight said imagining Cadance’s mouth full of apple fries. Cadance tried to reply but could only laugh around the fries that had appeared in her mouth. “Regardless” continued Twilight “I need to get some real rest. Mentally I’m pooped.”

Mentally willing herself back to her bed Twlight watched as Cadance could do nothing but smile while chewing the fries in her mouth. Twilights last view as she left was of Cadance with a slightly thoughtful look on her face.

Safely in her bed once again Twilight relaxed and fell back asleep dreaming of a relaxing rest in a meadow of flowers.