• Published 25th Feb 2013
  • 1,654 Views, 19 Comments

Dark Side of the Moon - jessietiptoes



Princess Luna has had enough of Celestia's favoritism with Princess Twilight Sparkle.

  • ...
11
 19
 1,654

Chapter Four

Two weeks had passed since Midnight Rose came to live in Canterlot Palace. Luna was training her well, and already the young filly had surpassed what Twilight Sparkle had known at that age.

Luna had a theory. Twilight gained her magical abilities through years of pain-staking studying. Midnight's abilities came naturally, and improved quickly. This provided an advantage over Celestia and Twilight, as long as Midnight also possessed the same intelligence and book smarts as Twilight Sparkle. This, Luna thought, would make Midnight the perfect partner with whom to eliminate Celestia's corrupt rule of Equestria.

The problem lay therein. It had taken Twlight Sparkle years to gain the knowledge she had to this day. Luna did not necessarily that kind of time. Each day, Celestia grew softer and softer, bowing under the will of her insolent subjects. Luna loved her subject, of course, but Celestia had to learn to hold her ground. That being said, Celestia could not seem to do so, therefore, it was time for Luna to step in.

"Luna?"

"Speak of the devil," Luna muttered to herself. "Yes, Tia?"

"You've been shut in your chambers for a very long time... Is everything alright?" Celestia asked, the all too irritating motherly tone making itself known in her voice.

"Yes, Celestia, everything is fine," Luna said through gritted teeth.

"It certainly doesn't sound like it..." Celestia mumbled, her voice muffled through Luna's chamber door. With an effort, Luna held her temper in check. More and more, simply Celestia's voice grated on the blue Alicorn. As the sound of Celestia's hoofsteps vanished from the corridor, Luna decided to test Midnight Rose's newfound ability to mind-speak.

Midnight? She paused. Canst thou- ahem, Can you hear me? Luna corrected her thousand year old grammar.

Princess Luna? The filly's voice responded.

Yes. Come to my chambers. I wish to speak with you.

Yes, ma'am.

Luna had made a decision. She would not force Midnight to be her right-hand mare. She would give Midnight a choice. If she so chose, she could continue her studies under Princess Celestia, and Luna would find a new foal who was willing to help the cause.

A gentle rapping came to Luna's door. Using her magic, Luna opened it, inviting the young filly in.

"Midnight, thank you for coming. I hope I didn't interrupt your studying?" Luna said graciously.

"No, ma'am, I was just thinking about Slate," Midnight said, lowering her eyes to her hooves.

"You care for him a great deal," Luna said softly. It was not a question, but a statement.

"Yeah, I do," Midnight murmured sadly.

"I'm afraid this conversation will have to wait for another time, dear Midnight," Luna said, dragging Midnight's attention back to her. "I have something to admit to you, and I must ask you to not become angry with me."

"I... Yes, of course, Princess," Midnight said, puzzled.

As Luna explained her plan to Midnight, the filly's expression grew more and more smug, and a wide smirk stretched across her face.

"So you've been planning a coup, have you, Princess?" Midnight said, still grinning.

"In a word, yes," Luna said, surpised at Midnight's reaction.

"I've always thought Celestia was a bit soft," Midnight said, her thoughts wandering. "And that she favored Twlight over you. Slate and I noticed a long time ago."

"Slate's mindset is that of yours?" Luna asked, her mood climbing.

Midnight nodded. "In the entire orphanage, he was the only pony who understood my thinking. Maybe that's why we became so close."

Another idea began forming in the forefront of Luna's mind. "Tell me, Midnight. Would you like Slate to come live in Canterlot Palace with you?"

Midnight's eyes lit up, fueled by the thought of revolution.

**********

"Princess Luna!" Dandelion Jewel exclaimed. "How wonderful it is to see you again so soon!" Luna and Midnight were standing on the stone steps outside of the Canterlot Orphanage, Luna's deep blue carriage behind her, flanked by the Lunar Guard.

"Yes, Miss Jewel, I'd like to meet with a specific young colt today," Luna said thoughtfully.

"And what colt would this be?" Dandelion asked. "Oh, hello Midnight Rose," She said, just noticing the filly's presence. Midnight nodded in response.

"A pegasus colt by the name of Slate," Luna said, looking down her nose at the smaller Earth Pony. Dandelion nodded, and motioned for Luna and Midnight to follow her. Instead of leading them to the colts' dormatory, Dandelion took them into an office and instricted them to sit down.

"Please send Slate down to my office," Dandelion spoke into an intercom. The room was quiet for several minutes. Then, the quick rhythm of small hooves became noticable in the hall outside.

"Miss Dandelion? You called?" Slate asked, coming through the doorway. Luna was impressed with his size. He was taller than Midnight, and stonger physically. Luna could feel it.

Noticing the princess, Slate quickly bowed. Upon standing, he noticed Midnight, and his jaw fell open.

"Midnight!" He shrieked, running to her.

"Slate!" Midnight yelled in response, meeting him halfway. Luna smiled as she watched them.

"I'm so sorry I haven't responded to your letter! Flight school is toughening up, we'll be taking our Flight License test next week!" Slate said quickly, hugging his friend.

"Already?" Midnight gasped.

"Have some faith in me, Rosie! I'm in the advanced class, don't forget," Slate said proudly.

"So you aren't mad at me anymore?" Midnight asked, ducking her head.

"No way!" Slate shouted. His attention shifted to Luna. "Sorry, Your Highness."

"Think nothing of it, Slate. Now, I have a question for you," Luna told Slate, watching him carefully. He cocked his head sideways, listening intently. "Would you be interested in joining myself and Midnight at Canterlot Palace for the remainder of your studies?"

"Yes, of course!" Slate said excitedly. Dandelion looked shocked, but Luna paid no attention to her expression, she only requested the paperwork she needed in order to legally take Slate under her wing, so to speak. Midnight looked happier than Luna had ever seen her, and if Midnight was so sure of Slate's allegiance, it wouldn't be long before Luna's plan was underway.

On the ride back to the palace, Luna and Midnight explained their plan to Slate. "So Celestia will be second to you, instead of you being second to her?" Slate said, pondering this.

Luna chuckled. "No, Slate. Celestia will be one of my subjects."

"But she's an Alicorn," Midnight pointed out.

"She will be shamed, as overthrown queens were in ancient times," Luna explained.

"How so?" Slate questioned.

"We will cut off her horn," Luna said grimly. Midnight gasped.

"Princess, that form of punishment hasn't been utilized for... Millenia!" Midnight exclaimed, horrified.

"It hasn't been used since-," Slate started.

"Since before I was banished. Yes, I know," Luna said calmly. "As I stated earlier, Celestia has gone soft."

Midnight and Slate agreed with her there. "Luna... If Celestia can no longer raise the sun, who will?" Slate asked.

"Either I will take on the task of raising the sun as well as the moon, or I shall find someone who is capable of doing so," Luna told them.

"And what about Princess Twilight?" Midnight asked. "What are you going to do with her?"

"I will not punish her the way I will Celestia, as she has done nothing wrong," Luna said thoughtfully. "But she is as corrupt as my sister. Perhaps we can train her to be more fierce, or if not, we can banish her to another land."

"Now that she is an Alicorn, she can't live among normal ponies. They'll worship her as a goddess, Celestia as well, even without her horn," Slate said, fluttering his wings. "Not to mention she's a lot taller and more regal than us."

"You make a valid point, Slate," Luna praised him. "We can always keep Celestia in the dungeon, or the caves beneath Canterlot. Actually, we could keep Twilight there, as well."

"We're not going to be treating them cruelly, are we?" Midnight asked softly.

"They will have food, water, and shelter, but they will not treated as kindly as they would in Ponyville," Luna said, her voice revealing no compassion.

Letting her mind wander, Luna envisioned it. Luna greeting guests at the Grand Galloping Gala. Instead of the Summer Sun Festival, it would be the Winter Moon Festival. Her subjects would bow to her everywhere she went, and the New Lunar Repulic would thrive.

Luna ached to see it happen. And soon...with the help of Slate and Midnight Rose...it would become more than Luna's dream.