• Published 20th Feb 2013
  • 429 Views, 0 Comments

Peace Hunters - NA_SolarEclipse



Two treasure hunters get more than they bargain for when they are called to the service of the royal princesses

  • ...
 0
 429

Introduction

-When we remembered Equestria-


“And you’re sure that this is where the brace is supposed to be?”

“Absolutely! Have I ever steered my two best hunters wrong?” Mr. Shinny gave the two a smile that even they knew was forced.

“Well, there was that time that you promised us that there was a crystal source under that rock farm; I am still paying for the damages Shinny.” Shinny shied away from Arkay at that.

“He-hey now, that was one time now Arkay!” The white unicorn retorted defensively.

“Yeah, sure.” Nero said as sarcastically as possible. “The dead end in the forest didn't count, and neither did that buried treasure on the beach. Oh, are we also not counting the time we almost got arrested for stealing that vase from that supposedly uninhabited house?” The grey pegasus with a black mane eyed Shinny hard as he just avoided eye contact.

“Fine we can count those, but only if you don’t need this job my friends. So, I would choose what does and does not count carefully.” Shinny said with a cocky smile. Nero just sighed and shook his head in exasperation.

“Alright Shinny. Unfortunately, you have the two of us in a bit of a bind. Between the accidental property damage, and the arrest bails, we cannot afford to take it personally. Will you please get off your high saddle and just tell us where this supposedly valuable brace is?” Arkay played Shinny’s game simply because the petty unicorn was both his and Nero’s best lead on any kind of job that they could possibly get in a unicorn-centric city like Canterlot.

“That’s what I thought. To answer your earlier question before I was so rudely interrupted, yes. The emerald brace is most definitely on that island. The lore speaks of its use in the zebra’s ceremonial rain dances. I am willing to bet the life of my two best hunters that it is there.” Shinny gave the two hunters another forced smile.

“We will go ahead and try to take that as both a compliment and a warning of how dangerous this will be. So shove it and thank you, respectably.” Arkay, always careful with words.

“Of course my friends, here is the necessary bits and passports needed for the trip.” Shinny hooved over two crude, but credible passports. Obviously these were for travel to the zebra owned islands that dotted the sea between Equestria and the zebra lands. As well as a small pouch of bits. It seemed that the two of them would have to be making up the difference themselves. “Did I ever steer you wrong? Eh, don’t answer that. Now off you go! I have a lot of business to attend to. Happy hunting my friends!” The two hunters accepted their rather rushed and informal job brief and left the white unicorn to whatever it is that he actually did.



“I just hope that this isn't illegal or something.” Arkay voiced as he and Nero got off the steam engine.

“What? The possible trespassing, the shifty fake passports, or the less than credible source? Oh! I know, it’s probably the ruins that may or may not actually be there when we arrive, yeah?” Nero was being even more cynical than usual after the brief with Shinny.

“How about all of the above? Shinny doesn't always have our best interests in mind. However, this just seems, outlandish and perhaps more dangerous than usual. Perhaps he has finally found a job that will kill us?” Arkay said. He couldn't bring himself to believe that their one and only non-pegasus friend would actually bring them to their deaths. They had been working together for too long to just do away with the partnership.

“Not a clue, but this is our best lead after all. No use in questioning it if it ends up being a worthwhile trip. So, let’s give Shinny the benefit of the doubt. Maybe it won’t be a letdown or a trap this time.” Nero responded sounding a little hopeful for the first time that day.

Arkay knew that Nero was not being sincere with that optimism, but at least he was willing to try. If Nero could keep his head up through the doubt in his mind, so could he. With slightly lifted spirits, the two hunters made their way to the docks of Brandenbuck.




The city-town of Brandenbuck was a rather upbeat place to be in contrast to the high class drone of Canterlot. The dirt streets and roads were alive with voices and the sound of the nearby port. Being one of the major port towns in Equestria, Brandenbuck was the home of many different races and species. The main population was earth ponies, but among them were a few unicorns who actually didn't stick their nose and themselves so far above the normal crowd. Among them were a few mules, no doubt trading their goods from Mexicolt. There were however, no other pegasus within the crowded market streets, and the two hunters found themselves being eyed carefully by the crowd.

“Good to see that I am not the only one here that is a foreigner.” The steady but sure voice startled the hunters from their marveling of the bustling market. As they looked to the origin, they saw what looked like a rather large version of an earth pony, but with horns, a low face, and very stout limbs.

Startled, Nero spoke for both of the hunters. “Whoa! What, um. What exactly are…yo-“But Nero was too entranced by the necklace he found on the figure’s neck.

The large rather round figure chuckled, “Never seen a buffalo before hmm? Not surprising, I myself have seen a many things, but an earth pony with the wings of a fowl is not one of them.”

“A rather sarcastic answer for what was actually a sincere question don’t you think?’” Arkay responded while Nero simply sat there staring at the buffalo’s turquoise necklace, no doubt trying to put a price on it.

“Of course, where are my manners? I am a buffalo by the name of Tu Rock-Muck Ta, you however may call me Rock; most others seem to.” The buffalo responded.

“Right, well we are here looking for a zebra named, uh, Naburu. Have you heard of him?” Nero said, trying to get the search back on track. “We are told he can take us where we need to go.”

“Of course friends, he is the one of whom I associate with the most in this town, Naburu is down by the docks.” Rock’s mood seemed to brighten at the mention of Naburu. “I wish you good luck on whatever it is you are doing friendly chicken ponies.”

Both Arkay and Nero bristled at that comment, but just waved goodbye to the buffalo. Perhaps he really didn't know any better. So the two hunters left Rock’s market stand without another word; they really had to get going to their destination.



The docks were a drab change from the excited market street. Here there was no diversity beside the occasional mule working on small canoe-looking water craft. At the end of the dock was the strangest being the two hunters had ever seen. He had a Mohawk and several auspicious and obviously tribal pieces of jewelry pierced into his ears. Along his neck were golden rings and around his hooves were, not surprisingly, more gold rings and braces. It was as if this stranger was just asking to be robbed. The most unique trait about him was his coat; striped grey and white in confusing lines and a strange cutie-mark-esque marking on his flank. This was clearly the zebra contact Shinny had mentioned.

“Hello there friend, we are searching for a Naburu. Are you who we are looking for?” Arkay said, wanting to be the first to start conversation so that Nero couldn't offend him before he could give them a rude first impression.

Naburu however, did not seem all that eager to respond, “Depends, you with Shinny?”

“Yes.” Nero responded quickly.”we need passage to a small island called, uh...”

Naburu interrupted him before he could finish.” Ya I know the place, but this will not be safe place to be. Shinny said you could handle you selves though. So, I take him word for it.”

“Good to know that Shinny actually pulled through on this.” Arkay muttered as the two hunters climbed onto the strange zebra’s boat. Naburu went to the motor to start their journey to who knows where. The two hunters couldn't help but feel that this was going to end badly.