• Published 2nd Mar 2013
  • 4,317 Views, 64 Comments

The Best things are a Rarity - mlpserenity



Rarity and Applejack have been married for over 2 years, but what's this? Rarity is pregnant?

  • ...
10
 64
 4,317

Things happen for a reason

Morning came to the Ponyville Library as it always did, but the alarm clock which had delivered diligent and excellent service for years was being abused today. As much as Twilight hated to admit it, she never could sleep very well if she couldn't hear Spike's snoring, his occasional whimpers, or the sound of him gnawing on his bed, no doubt dreaming of eating barrels of gems. She woke up slamming the alarm clock after a night of little sleep and began to ready herself for the day.

Her morning bagel was interrupted by a scroll poofing into existence in front of her. She saw the royal seal and quickly remembered the events which had transpired the night before. With great urgency, she opened the letter and began reading,

Dearest Twilight and Rarity,

I too would be difficult to persuade into accepting that one whom I consider a friend and wielder of an Element of Harmony would commit infidelity to her significant other. Although Rainbow Dash represents and embodies loyalty, I know that this attribute is also inside all of you and Rarity is no exception.

I have lived many centuries, eons perhaps(I'll have to check my calendar), and have therefore seen the worst, the best, the simple and the strange. Thought what has happened to Rarity is still surprising and noteworthy, you may be surprised to know that this is not only case I have heard of.

A little over two hundred years ago, beliefs and ways of thinking were very much centered around the family and traditional values. I wish I could say that this is one my favorite eras to have lived in. Politeness was the dominant language, chivalry was commonplace, and charity was simply part of one's day, but I still look upon most of it with shame.

The reason for this was that discrimination was rampant. If one did not adhere to values and beliefs of the majority of people, they were ostracized, injured, or worse. A relationship between different species, two stallions, or two mares was extremely taboo and not tolerated. Even though I encouraged you to leave your desk and books to venture out into the world, I am very thankful that you chose to do and continue this in Ponyville and not Canterlot. Sadly, the city that I call home and is revered all across Equestria still stubbornly clings to many of these "traditional" values, particularly the negative ones.

Perhaps unfortunately then, it was in this era that a love between two unicorn mares was born in Manehattan. They kept it secret, but their relationship came under heavy risk of discovery when one of them became engaged, arranged by her parents, to a stallion. This engagement however was ended in a few weeks when it was found that the mare was pregnant. The stallion knew it could not be his since he and her had not yet been intimate.

Thankfully, although her parents were very true believers in traditional values, they loved their daughter more and believed her pleas of innocence and purity. They did however remain curious as to how the pregnancy had occurred and as such, requested the aid of one of the best gynecologists in Canterlot. Although he was usually very strict on which patients he would take, the premise of a mare having a foal without the aid of a stallion intrigued him. Medical science was not as advanced as it is now, so he could confirm her intact hymen, but nothing much on the reason for her pregnancy. They decided to wait until the child was born to figure out where he or she had come from.

About eight months later, a unicorn filly was born and surprise consumed the new mother's face. The filly had the same eyes and mane as her lover. As if by fate, the lover in question came by to check up on her the next day. The parents and the doctor quickly noticed the similarities between the filly and the mare. Backed into a corner, the daughter finally admitted that they were lovers and had been for quite some time. She quickly begged and pleaded to not be shunned, but her fears were put to rest when her parents told her that all they wanted was for her to happy. They still wished for this whole affair to be kept silent and only between those present.

With the features of the two mares prevalent in the filly, the doctor declared he might have an answer to this phenomena. He explained that magic had already been used in the past to 'give' life to inanimate objects, but never yet done to "create" life. Considering that both mares were unicorns, he began to hypothesize that their magic together may have been enough to spark the new life into the mare.

This event and those involved seem to have vanished from memory of all, but thankfully the doctor was a diligent note-keeper. One thing that was not included in his writings was a reason. Why did this magic spark a new life when it did? With this and what has happened to Rarity, I think I can make a reasonable conclusion. The couple centuries ago was at risk of losing each other if the arranged marriage had been allowed to happen. I believe that the child inside of Rarity must have come about as a result of her and Applejack beginning to lose something in their relationship. That fear of possibly losing each other combined with the magic inside Rarity created a life to bring them together once more.

I am sorry, but this is all the insight that I can give into the situation at hand. Perhaps Rarity can fill in the blanks as to the why. I hope for the best and especially hope for Rarity and Applejack's continued marital bliss.

Loving princess,

Celestia

Twilight was thankful that Celestia had also sided with Rarity and even more so that the princess had a somewhat reasonable explanation for the pregnancy. Wow, so Rarity's magic helped create the baby. I wonder if they had intercourse beforehand. Would it be a requirement? Would it be easier to magically create a child if the unicorn mother had much stronger magical energy? Does it have to be the unicorn that has the child? What if.. Stop. I can inquire about this later. First, I have to get this to Rarity asap and try to fix this.

With that in mind, Twilight rushed to the Carousel Boutique. It was still early in the morning, which was why she was surprised at how quickly Rarity answered the door, "Appleja-oh. Good morning Twilight. I thought you were... nevermind. Please come in." Rarity looked like she hadn't slept well. She was slouching with ears drooping and hair still undone.

"Thank you Rarity. I received a response form the Princess."

With this Rarity quickly lifted her head, rushed Twilight and grabbed her shoulders, "And?"

Still surprised by Rarity's assertiveness, "It's good news. She has an explanation for why you are pregnant. Here, read it yourself." She handed Rarity the letter and Rarity was about to begin reading before she stopped.

"Oh dear Twilight, how rude of me. Please have a seat. Would you like some tea? I just made a small pot just before you arrived."

"It's okay Rarity, but yes tea sounds lovely right now."

With that Twilight took her seat at the dining table and Rarity brought her the tea. Rarity sat down with her own cup and began reading the letter. Her face remained the same the whole time she read, extremely focused. When she finished, she put down the letter and took a sip of her tea. "So I created the child myself?"

"Well according to the letter, not really. It was yours and Applejack's feeling for each other that created it. Although the princess said that the baby was created from a fear that you guys might have about losing each other. Was everything okay between you guys before this happened?"

"Why, yes. I cannot think of any negative feelings between us. Although, I guess sometimes I do feel that we don't spend enough time together. I know that Applejack's busy and I fare no better in getting time off, but I wish we could spend more that just a few hours every once in while together."

"I think Applejack feels the same way Rarity. I don't feel right saying this, but when we would get together while you were away, Applejack would always seem less cheerful and would usually be the first to leave with an excuse of work. Maybe it's that feeling that you guys want to be closer that gave you the pregnancy."

"Perhaps you are correct, Twilight. Whatever the case I must go see Applejack immediately."

Twilight took the hint and discarded her cup into the sink. As they were both exiting the boutique, Rarity turned to Twilight, "Again Twilight, I cannot thank you enough for this. You may have saved my and Applejack's relationship", and hugged her.

"Anytime Rarity. I wish you guys the best."

"Thank you."

With that they parted ways, Twilight headed for the library and Rarity to Sweet Apple Acres. So this child is really ours. Mine and Applejack's. We can actually finally be a family. A real family together.

Author's Note:

I am a terrible human being. Sorry will not suffice this time. Although undiagnosed, I swear I have ADD. Thankfully though, school has started and I can once again write between classes as I did before. I get too distracted at home.