• Published 18th Feb 2013
  • 712 Views, 8 Comments

The Day the World Forgot Me - Bomber



Forced out of his home, a young blank flank fights crime on the streets of Manehattan

  • ...
0
 8
 712

Act I - Part I: Forgotten

I find it funny how often fate decides to throw a few curveballs at you. You never see them coming. There’s no warning. One moment you’re going about your day with the usual routine, then something out of the ordinary happens for no reason other than to hand fate a couple of easy laughs. However, it’s never enough for it. It keeps trying to trip you, delude you from your goals. No matter how hard you try, no matter how cautious you are, you will make a mistake, and there’s little you can do to prepare for the consequences that follow.

Of course, fate isn’t always a cruel mistress. Every now and again, it allows a few fortunate circumstances to arise. It may give you an extra ace up your sleeve, or guide you to the treasure you’re searching for. You just have to be there to catch the opportunities while you still can.

While everypony’s perspective on fate may differ from my own, I firmly believe that it can be both your greatest ally… and your worst enemy.

Now, I’ve been called many names throughout my life. Most of them cliché. Others badass. I prefer to stick to my own. The one graciously given to me by my two wonderful, loving parents. The mare and the stallion that raised me from the ground up. The mare and the stallion that were there when times were difficult. The mare and the stallion who forgot me, just like the rest of the cruel, cruel world. I don’t blame them. I never have. It was never their fault in the first place.

Desert Sun. Does it have a ring to it? I never thought so. I reason it’s why most ponies tend to call me by “Sunny” while I’m trying to be myself and not that doppelgänger I involuntarily transformed into. There have been numerous times where other ponies have noted that Sunny is a more feminine name than masculine. I always shrugged it off. It’s my name, and nopony else’s. It distinguishes who I am. Who I’m meant to be. I love it and cherish it because it was given to me by the greatest couple in all of Equestria.

I’m an older stallion now. My bones becoming brittle, muscle cramps escalating in number every day that I live. I don’t mind. It’s no longer an issue. As long as I have the right to share my thoughts freely and openly to the city, and more importantly, to the rest of our great country, I’ll remain content with aging body.

But enough with who I am. You’re here because you want me to tell you my story, not my philosophies on our vast universe. Not to worry, I’ll begin soon enough. Just allot me a moment to collect my thoughts and organize my emotions. It’s been quite some time since I’ve previously told this story, and I just need to remember from Point A to Point B.

Alright. I’m set and ready if you are.

I’ll begin my story on the day that the world forgot me.

<><><><><><><><><><>

Shrill screams penetrating my ear drums was probably the absolute worst way to start my day. My bright blue eyes immediately flutter open, scanning the room for the source of the sudden outcry. My gaze locks onto my twin sister’s. She stares at me like I was some sort of alien freak. Her jaw hangs open and her eye visibly twitches.

“Harmony, what are you doing in my room?” I ask irritably, annoyed that my obnoxious sister forced me awake so early in the morning. Faint beams of sunlight penetrate my bedroom’s only window, and increasing racket from the streets below signify that it was still early morning. It was something I had gotten used to, being able to tell the time simply by listening to the noise levels of the obstreperous ponies outside.

My sister continues to glare in my direction completely slack jawed. “W-who are you?” Harmony inquires, stuttering over her own words. She takes several paces away from where I rest, like I was tempted to attack her at any given moment.

I give her a quizzical expression. Was she pulling a lame joke on me? Was today April Foal’s Day? No, it couldn’t be either of those. Harmony’s personality didn’t allow for her to attempt to gag her one and only brother with silly tricks and games. She favored to be aloof, away from as many ponies as she could, besides the ones inside our family. I stood my ground in front of the bullies when they tried to laugh and tease at us. I protected her whenever I could. We loved each other, and although we may have sometimes gotten on each other’s nerves, there was nothing in the world that we would do to jeopardize our relationship.

Reminding myself that the pony standing in front of me was my beloved sister and not one of my idiotic friends, I decide to take the non-sarcastic route to respond to her befuddling question. “It’s me, Sunny,” I reply. “You know, your brother?”

“I-I don’t have a b-brother,” Harmony claims, her body movements signaling that she was about to dart out of my room. “I-I’m an o-only child.”

“What in the name of Celestia are you going on about?” I ask, throwing my blankets off the top of me. Only, there was one problem with what I just tried to do. My hooves actually toss themselves wildly into the air, because there were no blankets to throw off. The realization that I was sleeping in a barren room hit me like the Friendship Express going at full speed. Truth be told, it almost causes me to devolve into a panic-like state. My bed, dresser, collection of trading cards. Even my autographed hoofball signed by everypony on the Manehattan Warriors! Gone! Vanished! Into thin air!

Throwing myself onto my hooves, I quickly dash over to Harmony. “Where is my stuff?” I interrogate anxiously. Her emerald-green eyes meet mine. We awkwardly engage in a weird staring contest, neither of us muttering a single word. Thirty seconds fly by. Then a minute. Then two. I place a hoof on her shoulder to transfer my support. She’s about to collapse. Again, I ask her (albeit much more slowly), “Harmony, where is all my stuff?”

“H-how do you know my n-name?” Harmony demands, violently pushing my hoof away. Before I could even give a simple response, she shrieks vociferously for a second time, forcing me to cover my ears in order to avoid becoming deaf. “Mom! Dad! T-there’s a stalker inside our house!”

A heartbeat later, I notice my dad tumbling through the hallway with a nine-iron engulfed in a sky-blue aura. “Whoa, Dad, it’s okay!” I shout, shaking my head. “It’s just me!”

“Who the hell are you?” Dad questions fiercely, his face flushing with anger. “You know what, I don’t care. Get away from my daughter or I’ll personally shoot you to the moon!” He takes an ominous swing with the golf club, aiming right for the side of my head. I narrowly dodge the suddenly scary-looking club by rolling to my right. Stiffening my wings, I take off into the air and begin to circle around the frustrated parent. There was close to zero room to maneuver, but it didn’t sway me from going airborne. If this were any other pony in Manehatten, I wouldn’t have hesitated to wrestle the club from their grip and knock them upside the head with it. But this was my father who was trying to beat me into next week. I couldn’t comprehend why he was trying to do this to me. I was his son. Parents should never do this to their own children, even as pranks. It’s just downright awful.

“It’s me, Sunny!” I yelp, the nine-iron smashing into the wall behind me. “Your son! Harmony’s twin brother! Your name’s Caddy! Mom’s is Pebble Beach! You’ve got to believe me, I’m your son!”

“Kid, I have no clue where you got that information, but if I ever see your face near my family again I will call the MPD. Now get the hell out of my home, you blank flank!” Dad threatens, looking like he was ready to snap my neck into two separate pieces. I have never witnessed him this flustered in my life. I knew that he was over-protective of his foals, but this was way too much.

Coming to terms that my dad was being dead serious, I speedily fly towards the dilapidated, glass window. Flinging it wide open, I hastily jump into the chilly, polluted city air. I shoot away aimlessly, as fast lightning while trying to get as far away from home as I possibly could. Unable to stifle my tears, I begin to cry a waterfall as I fly into the alluring sunrise.

End Part I