• Published 26th Jan 2012
  • 10,656 Views, 211 Comments

A Dragon's Journey - Coldwall



After a rather painful wake up, Jackson Hail finds himself in a rather scaly skin. Just what is he?

  • ...
10
 211
 10,656

Explanations and Parties

“Okay, let me get this straight…”

Twilight was clearly not amused. Apparently my little tale set off a few of her bullshit meters. But I don’t blame her, I set off a few of my own, and this actually happened to me. Hell, I’m still not completely sure if any of this is actually real, or if I’m in some sort of coma in a hospital bed.

“… So you are from another dimension.”

“Correct.”

“Where there is no semblance of magic.”

“Not that I’m aware of, no.”

“And the dominant species is a form of hairless monkeys.”

“There’s a bit more to it, but yes.”

“And you got brought here when this ‘warp gate’ blew up.”

“Right.”

“And when you got here, you were turned into a dragon.”

“Yes.”

“Uhuh.”

“Mhmm.”

“…”


“…”

“… You know how insane that sounds, right?”

“I’m aware.”

She let out a tired sigh. She looked at me with a face that had at least three different kinds of skepticism plastered all over it. Spike on the other hand, regarded me with a cautious curiosity. He still kept some air of skepticism, but there was no doubt that the idea of talking to an inter-dimensional traveler appealed to him. Then there was Fluttershy, who stared with wide-eye wonder. I myself felt a little weary.


“Listen,” said Twilight. “It was a nice story and all, but there is simply no way that it’s possible. The theory behind it is just absurd, not to mention the numerous holes in it.”

‘Holes?’ “What holes?”

“Oh please. Another dimension? An entire species that not just survive, but thrive, without the use of magic? A warp gate? That’s simply too many impossibilities. There is no…”

“Not to be rude or anything, but what’s a warp gate?” asked Spike, scratching the top of his head. I was about to answer, but Twilight was a mile ahead.

“A warp gate is essentially that: A gate or door that warps space to allow travel from one point to another, without having to travel the actual distance between the two. It’s essentially my teleportation spell set to a door. It’s not very useful in comparison though. I can use my teleportation spell on anything, at anytime, anywhere I want. A warp gate on the other hoof, it’s stationary, meaning that you have to get to it if you want to use it. Not to mention that an entire team of veteran unicorns are need to run one for five minutes.”

Well that was a long winded explanation. But it certainly beats whatever explanation I had. Unfortunately most of it flew past Spike’s head, if the unfocused stare is anything to judge by.

“This lead’s us back to one of the many holes your story, Jack,” the unicorn pointedly said. “According to your story, there was only one “human” running this warp gate. That is not possible for certain reasons. Namely that such a device would need incredible amounts of magic to run. One being does not have enough to power it or focus. And that’s the thing, if there really is no magic where you claim to be from, then there is no possible way for you to be here in the first place. How do you explain that? Or better yet, how can you prove all of this?”

I am well aware of the mistakes in her theory, but that’s honestly besides the point. The point is that…

“…I can’t.”

She rolled her eyes. “I thought so. Look, as entertaining that was,” the unicorn said she turned to leave. “I still have work to do. So, if you could please…”

“Hold up one moment please.” I interrupted.

She hung her head dejectedly. “Uhhg… Yes?”

“Look,” I began. “I know that my story is farfetched…”

“More like utterly impossible,” Twilight cut in.

“…But think about this: What possible reason could I have to tell you this? What could I gain from it?”

Whatever retort Twilight had died in her throat. She pondered my statement for a few moments. Then she turned to look at me, with a look that was half contempt, half curiosity.

“That is a good question. Why did you tell us all of this?” she asked.

“Because I need your help,” was my answer. “I need to get back home. I have friends and family to go back too. I need to go back to them.”

“Oh my…” Fluttershy whispered. “They must be worried sick.”


“Exactly. So please Twilight. I need your help. As beautiful as this place is, I simply don’t belong here.”

Sorry Bronies. You all probably want to strangle me right now, but Equestria simply isn’t my cup of tea. Deal with it.

“And what makes you think that I can help you?” asked the unicorn, slight tone of suspicion apparent.

“Maybe the fact that you live in a library? Or maybe because you introduced yourself as the Princes’ protégé? I don’t know, maybe you just look smart.” I answered.

She humphed in defiance, but the little blush along her cheeks tells me that was the right answer. I’ll admit I’m not one for flattery, but I’m certainly not above it. Some sweet words here and there and you can do anything. In this case, it saved me from explaining how I know that Twilight has a mad scientist set in her basement.

“Well, it’s true, I did say that,” confirmed the unicorn. “But what exactly do you expect me to do?”

“Well, I was thinking that you could do a bit of research or something. And seeing that you already are so knowledgeable in the subject, it might not be much of a problem.”

Twilight nodded in confirmation. She seemed to be actually considering it.

“Wait,” Spike spoke up. “What about us?” he asked, pointing at himself and Fluttershy, who looked up with an inquisitive eye. “Why tell us?”

“That’s simple,” I said. “Since I’ve been only a dragon for a day or so, I have no idea of how to do a lot of things. Like how to spit fire, or how to fly or… how to go to the bathroom for that matter.”

Spike’s cheeks puffed in barely contained laughter. The two ponies in the other hand, blushed a red not unlike that of molten steel.

“Go ahead, laugh it up. But no, seriously, had I known any of those things yesterday, the fight would not have lasted thirty seconds.”

I look of comprehension punched through Spike’s contained mirth.

“I get it! You want me to teach you how to be a dragon!” I nodded in response. “Oh man! This is so awesome!” He exclaimed, giddy with excitement.

“Umm…” Fluttershy hummed in her mousy tone. “What about me?” she asked.

“Well, I still need to learn how to fly, and I don’t see any wings on Spike.”

“Hey!” the diminutive dragon cried.

Fluttershy made an “oh” face before nodding. “I would love to teach you how to fly, Jack. That is… If you want me too.”

“But of course.” I answered with a smile, which Fluttershy returned in kind.

Twilight however, had something else in mind.

“Wait,” she said. “If you indeed don’t know how to fly, then maybe Rainbow should teach you. She’s the best flier around after all.”

For some odd reason, the thought of Rainbow Dash teaching me anything filled me with an unnatural irritation. I don’t really know why, just thinking about her makes me want to take a sledgehammer to something. Either that or make out with someone.

… Where the fuck that came from?

“That reminds me,” continued Twilight, saving me from a really weird train of thought. “If we are really doing this, we need to tell the others. Even if they don’t really help us out, they should know why we are hanging around a possibly dangerous dragon.”

Fluttershy nodded in response. “Oh yes. I can’t imagine telling them anything else.”

‘Uhh, what do I say here?’ I told Twilight and Spike because it would be of benefit for me, and I feel that lying to Fluttershy would be a cardinal sin. But what about the others? What reason do I have to tell them? And what reason do I have not to? Although I positively hate the idea of anymore people… er ponies, knowing who I am, I can’t really find a logical argument as to why not. And I can’t simply tell them to make something up. I’m betting that doing so would lead to a snowball effect. You know? Where a lie piles on top of another lie, that then pile into another pile of lies? That later come crashing down on everybody? Yeah, I want to avoid that. Plus, I know that these guys are pretty crappy liars. Lying here is simply not an option. But what then?

“We should arrange a meeting as soon as possible,” said Twilight.

“Wait, I don’t really think that’s a good idea,” I said without thinking.

“And why is that?” the unicorn questioned. The suspicion in her face was thicker than a swamp.

“Because I can tell that besides Pinkie Pie and Fluttershy here, none of you precisely trust me. I’ll admit that I have no good reason to not tell them, but if you don’t mind, I would rather tell them one by one.”

“Why?” asked Spike.

“Individual reactions are easier to handle.” It’s true. One rage fit is easier to contain than a flash mob. This way I can localize damage and keep it from spreading. Not that I’m expecting a flash mob, but something tells me that certain pegasus would no doubt rush me if I don’t have proper support.

“Fine,” Twilight said after considering my offer. “We’ll tell them individually. But I rather do this fast. I don’t want anyone to be left out.”

“I have no objections,” I said.

“Well then. It’s decided. I’ll put your little project in the backburner. In the meantime, we need to tell the others,” the unicorn stated.

“Who should we tell first?” Spike asked.

I thought for a second before answering. “Your friend Pinkie seems pretty accepting. Maybe she should be first. Then it’s a tossup between Rarity and Applejack. Both seemed pretty level headed. And Rainbow Dash should be last.”

Twilight nodded. “That’s a good plan. Rainbow can be a bit rash sometimes. Especially when any of her friends are involved.”

“Alright then. It’s settled, Twilight will look for a way for to get me back home, Spike will teach me how to be a dragon, and Flutters will teach me how to fly. Any objections?”

“Nope, it’s all good,” answered the purple dragon, cocky smile in display.

“Same here,” Fluttershy agreed.

“I got a bad feeling about this, but ok. I’m in,” Twilight finished.

I took a moment to look at my present company. Their expressions varied from poorly hidden skepticism to giddy excitement. Despite everything, I couldn’t help but smile a bit. I was less than a day in this strange world, and I had already taken the first step back home. The only thing left to do is wait. For how long? Not much I hope, but I’m willing to wait.

An awkward silence grew as I kept smiling to the ponies, lost in thought. I snapped out of it to see that everyone had grown slightly uncomfortable.

Finally, Spike broke the silence. “Sooo,” he drew out. “What now?”

“That’s… actually a pretty good question,” I answered.

We all pondered the question for a few minutes. Was there anything I’m supposed to do now? Flutters and I had already fed the animals, and it was already too late to do any form of training, if the light coming in from the window was anything to judge by. Yet I could still tell it wasn’t quite late enough to just head home and do nothing. So what’s left for me to do?

“Hey guys! Ya in there?” came a voice from outside.

“Hold on, where coming out!” answered Twilight. “Hey Jack, could you please move?”

“Uh? Oh! Sure, give me a sec.”
I slowly backed up, popping my head out the door. I noticed that as I did so, something scratched the top of the frame. I prodded the top of my head for whatever that might have been. Didn’t really find anything though. Looking around, I spotted Applejack sitting besides the tree. She was scanning my entire frame with a discerning eye, evaluating me, I suppose. But once Twilight and Fluttershy came out, she got noticeably chipper.

“Hey Twilight, Fluttershy,” she greeted. “How are ya guys doin’?”

“Oh just fine, thank you,” Fluttershy answered.

“Well that’s good ta hear. Anyway, I came ‘cause Pinkie asked me ta get ya guys and our blue friend over there ta Sweet Apple Acres.”

“What?” we all said in unison.

“Why would she want Jack at Sweet Apple Acres?” asked Spike, who was just walking out the door.

“I have no idea,” answered the farmer, and unbeknownst to me, winked. Everyone then made an ‘oh’ face, followed by smiles, leaving me completely clueless as to why.

“Already then! We should get going!” she proclaimed.

Everyone giggled and followed along. I was a bit suspicious, but I still followed suit. The sun was just about to set when we left the library, and I was guessing that we would probably arrive at the Acres somewhere around nightfall.

Now that I have time, I can explain a few things. I know that most of you are wondering why I would want to leave Equestria. You are all probably going ‘Dude! It’s Equestria! Magical ponies ‘n shit!’ Well let me reiterate something: I am NOT a brony. I have no interest in staying here. Unlike many of you (no offence), I have many things waiting for me back home. When I said I have a family and friends back home? Yeah, I wasn’t lying. My parents are probably worried sick, and my sister is probably where her older bro went. Then there’s my little group of friends. They are probably doing something stupid. I did always was the voice of reason.

Actually, I do wonder what they are doing right now. Are they looking for me? Or are they arranging my funeral? If they knew I was here somehow, how would they find me? … Would they even recognize me now?

NO, nonono. No use in brooding now. Right this moment, I have to focus on blending in. Be as inconspicuous as possible. Kinda hard considering that I’m the size of most houses around here. But still, right now, I’m an invading wasp in a bee hive the size of the White House. One wrong move and I’ll get kicked out into the Everfree, or worse. Heh. Now that I think about it, I’m walking a really fine line. One screw up and I run the chance of getting stranded here, seeing as I haven’t completely won over my ticket back home. If Twilight does not deem me deserving of her help for whatever reason, then I’m effectively fucked.

NO! Don’t think about that. Think about kittens. Yes, nice fluffy kittens, with really big eyes and pink noses. Ahh. Much better.

“Jack?”

“Huh?”

I broke out of my fuzzy thoughts to see the expansive rows of trees that formed Sweet Apple Acres, which seems to an appropriate name, because the only thing visible for miles were apple trees. That and the barn that served as the Apple family’s residence. There was a half second delay before my brain switched out from the ‘kittens’ gear and pieced the current situation.

“Oh, we’re here,” I said.

“Yeah, we arrived about three minutes ago.” Spike commented. He looked a bit worried. “Are you alright?” he asked. “You had a really vacant stare and this really goofy smile,” he said just as he demonstrated. That earned him a chuckle from my part.

“Yeah, I’m good. Anyway, now that we are here, care to tell me why we’re here Applejack?”

“Pinkie said she wanted ya here,” said the farmer, while looking around. “The thing is, I don’t see her ‘round here. Maybe she’s in the barn?”

A barn? Ok now, I might be being paranoid, but this reeks of an ambush.

“Come on now, no need to keep her waitin’,” Applejack encouraged while she tried to push me into the barn.

I frowned at her, but then I sighed and began to plot my way to the barn. I examined the doors, looking for any form of booby trap. Satisfied, I carefully opened the door, peeking my head in. The entire place was dark, which did nothing to alleviate my nerves. Against my better judgment I thought I’d call out into the barn.

“Hello…”

“SURPRISE!”

“HACK!”

And the lights came alive in the form of three dozen gas lamps, unveiling the massive conglomeration of ponies massed in to the barn. The utter scare sent me flailing into my back. Once I halfway regained my bearings, I saw a very pink blur in my three inches away from my eyes.

“Oh boy were you surprised because it sure did so I mean you did squawk like a bird does that mean you were surprised I sure hope so because otherwise it’s not a surprise party just an plain ol’ party not that there is anything wrong with those but then all the work we did to keep it secret would have gone to waste so where you surprised?”

Jesus Christ, can that pony talk. I had to process it a bit before I came to Pinkie’s question.

“Yeah…” I said, still a bit dumbfounded. “It was quite the surprise.”

“Wee!” yelled the pink blur as it zipped back into the barn. “Alright everypony! This party is officially ON!” Pinkie screamed into a megaphone just as she hit a rather big audio system. From it, a rather catchy party tune started blaring out. I sat down, still slightly dazed. Applejack was sitting next to me with a self pleased smile. I pointed a claw at her.

“You tricked me.”

“Well, I had ta get ya in the barn without spoilin’ the surprise.” She said. I might have grumbled a few expletives at that.

“Anyway,” she continued. “While you were spacin’ out Fluttershy and Twilight filled me in your little adventures in the Everfree.”

“Oh yeah… About that…”

“Don’t say a word pardner, anypony, or anydragon, who risks their lives for ma friends, is ok in my books. Think of this little party as my thank you.”

“Well I uh… Don’t know what to say…”

“Never mind that, go and enjoy your party.” And with that, she walked into the barn, the rest of the group trailing behind, each flashing a quick smile.

Well that was easy. My plan might actually go smoother that I originally expected. I might be able to tell Applejack a little earlier than planned, which would really appease Twilight. Speaking of Twilight, I seemed to have misjudged her. She is very skeptical about my story, but apparently not completely adverse to my presence. Which only proves that I can be a paranoid idiot at times. But I digress; I have a party to attend.

Within minutes, a small crew had set up a set of tables and other party paraphernalia out in front of the barn, allowing the previously cramped ponies to dance without smacking into each other.

It was a rather lively party. Couples and friends danced inside the barn like happy morons, while groups gathered in the tables outside to eat Pinkie’s pastries and chat among friends. It was certainly a change of pace compared to what Cole defines as a party. I myself opted to sit on a far corner, partly because that’s what I always tend to do, and partly because I was afraid of stepping on someone. The ponies on the outside every so often stole glances my way, before going back to whatever they were doing. ‘Novelty I suppose.’ I took a sip out the barrel of cider I had courtesy of Applejack. To my unsurprise, there is no semblance of alcohol in Equestria. Not that I’m complaining, this stuff is the best I’ve ever tasted. I’d pick this and Pinkie’s awesome (if a bit too sweet) cupcakes over a beer any day. Not that any less of a man, mind you, but when you’ve been to enough of Cole’s parties, you tend to appreciate your sobriety. There are actually a couple of funny stories behind that. But those are for another time. Right now, I see an incoming mass of pink heading my direction.

“Hey!” greeted the pink spasm.

“Hello Pinkie,” I greeted back.

“Are you enjoying your party?” she asked with no lack of enthusiasm.

“Certainly am.”

“Aren’t you going to dance?”

I looked back at the barn where the dance floor was set up; it was packed as much as it could without ponies bumping into each other.

“Nope, I’ll pass for now.”

“Aww, come on! It’ll be fun!”

“He, I don’t doubt that, but I don’t think the ponies I step on wouldn’t be too happy about that.”

Pinkie’s face flashed comprehension before going to her default grin. “Okie dokie! I’ll have to look for another place for next time. It’s kind of a bummer too, because I thought that Applejack’s barn would be big enough but apparently not oh you would not believe the work it took me to convince Applejack to let me throw this party but she eventually let up so now…”

Oh no, not this again. “Pinkie Pie, don’t you have a party to host?”

She let out an overdramatic gasp. “You’re right! I’ll see ya later!” And she was off. One can only wonder how she works.

I spotted Fluttershy trying to make her way out of the barn. Knowing her, she was probably trying to ask her way out there. Hardly a possibility, considering that the massive speakers very handedly overpower her meek voice. Somehow, after five minutes of pointlessly apologizing, she managed to get out. She immediately spotted me, and fluttered next to me.

“Hey,” she said.

“Hey,” I said back.

“Do you like the party?”

“Yes I do. How about you? Enjoying yourself?”

“Oh yes. Pinkie’s parties are always fun. But… Um… I really don’t like being in the middle of them. I always feel like everybody is staring. I prefer to sit on the side and just watch.”

“Hehe. Same thing here. Anyway, cupcake?” I offered.

“Oh yes please.” She took it, and daintily nibbled it. It was fucking adorable.

Most of the night was spent mostly like that, with idle chatter and comfortable silence. A few of the braver ponies managed to gather just about enough courage to walk my way and ask a few questions. I noticed with slight amusement that their knees where shaking like guitar strings. Applejack came to check up on us, and had a bit of small talk, mostly about the cider I was drinking, of which she gracefully shared another barrel. Little while after she left, Twilight came in to go over some of the logistics and theories she had in mind. She admitted that now that she thought about it, inter-dimensional travel is kind of a cool concept to research. So the egghead part of her won. After a quick overview, the conversation somehow got derailed into a heated argument of whether chocolate cakes were better than vanilla ones. After Fluttershy was forced to declare a tie, Twilight left to make sure that Spike didn’t drink too much cider.
I noticed that neither Rarity nor Rainbow Dash were present, the latter to my secret relief. When I asked Fluttershy, she said that Rarity was still stuck with work, and that she didn’t know where Rainbow was. She was a bit worried, but convinced her that she just probably overslept or something.

The party began to die down somewhere around midnight, as spent ponies headed the long way home and into a well deserved rest. I noticed that Fluttershy’s head was beginning to droop. She let out a small, adorable, yawn. I chuckled slightly.

“I think is time for us head back,” I said.

Fluttershy could only nod in agreement. But a certain pink pony had other ideas in mind.

“Aww, leaving already?” Pinkie cried as she popped on top of my head.

Out. Of. Freakin’. Nowhere.

“I uh… Yes,” I stammered as I looked at the blue eyes that filled half my field of vision.

“Come on! It’s still early!” she argued.

“Ehh… Fluttershy would like to disagree,” I said as I pointed to the almost snoozing pegasus. Pinkie took a once over before looking back at me and nodding.

“Okie dokie lokie! I guess I’ll see you later! Have a safe trip back home!” And then she disappeared to where she came from, absolutely nowhere.

I sighed. I was too tired to try and rationalize something as bizarre as Pinkie Pie. Instead, I took Fluttershy, who barely gave a week(er) squeak and placed her on my back. I said my goodbyes to the few ponies still there, and headed for Fluttershy’s cottage. Once there, I was received by a rather pissed looking rabbit. Angel bunny if I remember correctly. I placed Fluttershy on the door next to him, and he herded her back into her room, but not before giving me the stink eye. I just simply ignored him and went out to the back yard where I laid down. It took about a minute for me to fall asleep.

I dreamt of kittens.