• Published 8th Feb 2013
  • 2,174 Views, 69 Comments

Doctor Whooves Episode 14: Work of Fiction - Doctor Perseus



The Doctor, Twilight, and Derpy end up accidentally taking a detour on their way to the Doctor's universe and instead end up in a reality where they are merely fictional characters.

  • ...
6
 69
 2,174

The Beach

Chapter 7: The Beach

Dålig Ulv Stranden, 50 Miles from Bergen, Norway, Earth, Summer, 5296 A.D.

Alex felt a surge of warm energy wash over his body as the smell of salt water passed through his nostrils. He sat up to find himself sitting on a beach. A light breeze was blowing through the cool air. Alex looked around. Pieces of debris were scattered throughout the beach. Alex quickly identified the debris as pieces of the panel room that he had been in seconds earlier. Alex placed his face into his hands and sighed. His injuries had mysteriously disappeared, both his broken nose and his dislocated shoulder. Alex quickly thought back to the mysterious Writer.

"If my theory turns out to be correct, then I'm going to hit him for keep going Deus ex Machina on me!" Alex groaned.

"Who are you talking about?" asked Derpy, who was lying on the ground a couple feet away. "The Writer?"

"No, I'm...never mind." Derpy and Alex stood up and examined the beach around them.

"So where are we?"

"Dålig Ulv Stranden. That's Bad Wolf Bay in English."

"You seem to know this place."

"It's featured in a few episodes of Doctor Who. This is where Rose Tyler ended up following her parting with the Doctor."

"Rose Tyler. I've met her before."

"You have?"

"There were Reapers and Applejack's parents and two paradoxes and...it's a long story."

"Sounds interesting."

"Terrifying is what it was." They began making their way towards the shoreline. "Where are the others?"

Alex looked around. There was no sign of the Doctor, Twilight, Quinn, or the Animator. He and Derpy were all alone on that stretch of beach along with the remains of the panel room from the Meadowlands Exposition Center.

"Scattered around probably. We should try to find them," Alex replied. Derpy nodded in response. The Brony and the pegasus then began their trek along the beach of Bad Wolf Bay.

Dålig Ulv Stranden, 48 Miles from Bergen, Norway, Earth, Summer, 5296 A.D.

The Doctor awoke to find that his broken leg had healed. He looked up and smiled at the sight of the TARDIS standing directly next to him. Twilight and Quinn were lying next to it and were too regaining consciousness.

"How many times have I been knocked out since meeting you, Doctor?" Twilight asked as she stood up.

"Plenty," the Doctor replied as he examined the TARDIS. Quinn stood up and felt her chest. The bullet wound was gone.

"What happened?" she asked.

"The Writer. He sent us here."

"Where is here?" Twilight asked.

"Bad Wolf Bay," Quinn replied.

"You've seen this place before?" the Doctor asked.

"Yeah. It's in your show."

"Still not used to that fact yet."

"I can't believe I'm actually here."

"This isn't the Bad Wolf Bay that I visited."

"How can you tell?" Twilight asked.

"It smells different. This is a different universe altogether from the universe in which I dropped off my Rose Tyler. This is a different one. This is the Bad Wolf Bay from the Animator's home universe."

"This is where the Animator's from?"

"I would say that it's safe to assume that."

"Why would the Writer bring us here?"

"I don't know. He's quite a strange character, the Writer."

"Who is he anyway?" Quinn asked.

"I don't know, and I don't like not knowing things." The Doctor opened the TARDIS doors and ran inside.

The TARDIS was quiet. The Doctor examined the controls with a great deal of focus.

"Where's Alex and Derpy?" Quinn asked.

"They're probably here too. Just not where we were dropped off," the Doctor replied.

"Can you find them?"

"Probably." The Doctor presented two TARDIS keys to them.

"The perception filters," said Twilight.

"Mine and Derpy's. Yours is with Alex."

"Let me guess, you can use my TARDIS key as a beacon to locate Alex and Derpy's location."

"Bingo, Ms. Sparkle!" The Doctor began operating the controls and static appeared on one of the monitors.

"Doctor, can I ask you something?" Quinn asked.

"Certainly."

"How did you become a pony? I've read many fanfics about you traveling to Equestria and you becoming a pony ranges anywhere from you just turning into a pony due to traveling into Equestria to you regenerating into a pony upon arriving in Equestria."

"I regenerated. Technically, this is my eleventh incarnation."

"Eleventh? You've had eleven bodies?!" asked Twilight.

"Yes! What, did you think I spent all 906 years of my life with the same body? The universe is a dangerous place, Twilight."

"I just can't believe that you've had eleven bodies. Is there a limit to how many times you can regenerate?"

"Originally, the limit was twelve; thus, an average Time Lord could have thirteen bodies in their life. However, with the rest of the Time Lords being gone, I don't know if the rule applies anymore. I don't think it does because my future self said the incarnation he was currently in was his fifth pony body, so I think it's safe to assume that the twelve regeneration counter is null and void now."

"You seem to act a lot more like the Tenth Doctor than the Eleventh Doctor," said Quinn.

"Well, technically, I am the Eleventh Doctor."

"No, I mean the Eleventh Doctor that's seen in the show in my dimension. Question: what do you think of bow ties?"

"Bow ties? That's an odd question. Never given them much thought really. I suppose I could try one in the future. Hmm...why do I now have the sudden urge to find a fez?"

"Yep, there's definitely bits of Matt Smith in you. I wonder if you'll run into his version of the Doctor."

"Matt Smith?"

"He's the actor who plays your other eleventh incarnation in the show."

"Oh, well, with all the dimension hopping I've done I suppose there's a chance I could run into him. I've already run into my ninth incarnation so why not an alternate eleventh incarnation? You've suddenly gotten me interested about this other version of me. Apparently he has a fascination with bow ties."

"Doctor, can we worry about this after we defeat the Animator and get Alex and Quinn back home?" Twilight asked.

"Yes! Of course!" The Doctor returned to giving his full attention to the monitors. An aerial image quickly appeared and a smile appeared on the Doctor's face. "Yes! We've found them! They're...oh no."

"What's wrong?"

"I've found them...but they're not alone."

"What? Who's with them?"

"Three guesses who," Quinn said as she nervously rolled her eyes.

Dålig Ulv Stranden, 49 Miles from Bergen, Norway, Earth, Summer, 5296 A.D.

"How far have we walked?" asked Derpy as she proceeded to levitate herself in the air with her wings.

"I'd guess that we've walked for about a mile or so," Alex guessed. "We shouldn't be too far from-" Alex stopped and Derpy followed suit. A familiar figure was standing on the edge of the shoreline. "You."

The Animator turned around to face Alex. He gave his usual cold smile but it didn't seem as threatening as it had before.

"Dålig Ulv Stranden. It's been many years since I traveled here with my mother," he said. He let out a collected laugh. "This false Writer amuses me. I would very much like to learn more about him."

"There's something we can both agree on." The Animator turned towards the ocean one last time before giving his full attention to Alex and Derpy.

"It appears I was wrong. I guess there is something about you after all. That other Writer's been using you to hide my Writer from me since my arrival in your world."

"I guess that would explain why I was never able to come across him at the con."

"Who are we talking about?" Derpy asked. Alex politely brushed off Derpy's question before taking a few steps towards the Animator.

"You know, I'd be very interested in hearing about how this rivalry between you and your Writer began."

"You'd love to know, wouldn't you? But there isn't much to tell. I tried to turn another world into my playground, the Writer appeared, and he proceeded to become my ultimate foil. Not much else to say," the Animator replied.

"But...how could-"

"How could he of all people be an enemy of a someone like me? How could he travel between dimensions? That, my dear Alex Stevens, looks like it will be one of those mysteries that shall disappear with the setting sun of this world." Alex hadn't noticed it before but he realized that the sun wasn't moving in the sky. The beach was stuck in an eternal evening glow. "This is all of my work, yes. The world went to hell basically following the passing of my parents."

"Is it true what the Writer said? Are your parents really-"

"Does it matter? My parents were here and they died. I found power beyond either of their wildest imaginations and became a god. I became the Animator, while they faded away into nothing."

"How can you be their son? It doesn't make sense. I've watched Doctor Who for years and nothing about you seems to resemble any part of-"

"Children don't always have to be like their parents, you know. I think it's clear by this point that children can, well, diverge away from their parents' wishes."

"You're going to lose, Animator. You know that, right?"

"Are you going to defeat me, Alex? We both saw your performance during the panel. Are you interested in a repeat?"

"I can beat you. Now that I know who your enemy is, I know that I can beat you."

"Well then. Let's dance." The Animator lunged at Alex. Alex felt a sudden bolt of energy course through his body. He dodged the Animator's attack for the most part. Derpy tried to help Alex but the Animator simply knocked her aside. Alex ran at the Animator and threw a few punches at him. The Animator returned with a few punches of his own. Alex groaned as some of the punches collided with his chest but the pain seemed to go away quicker than it used to. The Animator was obviously surprised by Alex's newfound strength. Alex found himself throwing more and more punches with each passing second. It was if a force other than him was acting through him.

"I can take him!" Alex kept repeating under his breath. "I can take him!" Suddenly, the Animator grabbed Alex by the neck and smashed him into the ground. Alex was able to recover surprisingly quickly. The Animator lunged forward and wrapped his hands around Alex's neck. Derpy flew in and head butted the Animator. The Animator shrugged the attack off and used his powers to animate the sand around Derpy. Derpy suddenly found herself caught in a fight with living sand. "You can't kill me! I thought I was the key to your enemy!"

"I'm quickly losing my patience! I can use you dead or alive!" snapped the Animator. As the Animator's grasp grew tighter and tighter around Alex's neck, Alex felt a searing pain shoot through his skull. A voice began calling out to him. It was faint but Alex was able to make out what the voice was saying. It was saying a series of words that Alex couldn't understand or make out. In a last moment of desperation, Alex began screaming the words out of his mouth. Derpy was confused for the words sounded like a mixture of hisses, screams, and cries rather than actual words. The Animator let Alex go in horror and began backing away. "Impossible!"

Alex stood up. Derpy noticed that Alex's eyes were glowing bright blue.

"It looks like you've found me, Animator," said Alex in a deep voice that was nowhere near close to his original one. "I guess Alex was finally able to find me after all."

"This...this isn't what I wanted! I wanted to find you but...not like this!"

"Oh, Animator. How many times must we have this dance? You will never defeat me. I'm the Writer. Our battles are etched in stone and you shall lose every single one."

"I...I won't! You will lose, Writer! Why do you hide behind the face of Alex Stevens! Face me!"

"Be careful what you wish for, Animator. You wanted to use Alex as a key to find me; well, it worked. Sometimes, you don't get the choice in the matter of how you find your enemies, my old friend. You've forced Alex to channel me, so here I am."

"Then...I shall kill your vessel!"

"Animator, did you forget why you finally fled from me in the first place? It was because I learned the Words."

"You wouldn't dare!"

"The Words that spell out the secret of your creation. I have them all memorized, ya know. I think it's time I finished what I didn't get to finish back on the fields of Papyrus 96." The possessed Alex then began speaking another long series of hisses, cries, growls, and snarls. The Animator lunged at Alex but Alex simply dodged the attack. The Animator's eyes went wide as his body began to fade away into a cloud of black smoke. "I'm sorry that it had to come to this, my old friend."

"We were never friends, and it isn't over! I'll return! You can't defeat the Animator that easily! I am descended from astronomical forces of the Medusa Cascade itself! I shall always return!"

"And that's what makes our eternal dance oh so sad." Alex waved his hand one more time and the Animator disappeared completely. The living sand fighting Derpy returned to being regular sand. Alex turned to face her.

"Did...did you kill him?" asked Derpy.

"Yes and no. He'll always return. He has the blood of the Medusa Cascade in him. He'll be difficult to defeat entirely."

"What do you mean?"

"Ask the Doctor. He knows all too well about what occurred in the Medusa Cascade."

"Who are you? Are you...the Writer?"

"Yes. Alex's connection with me was finally completed due to him being forced to face off with the Animator."

"But...how is he connected with you? I've heard so many things and have dealt with so much today that my head's about to explode."

"Alexander Stevens and I are connected by many links: blood, flesh, bone, spirit, family, the like. Of course, my official connection with him has yet to occur from the feel of things."

"What...ugh...I think my head's going to burst."

"Try not to think of me too much. You have more to think about at the current moment, Derpy, than some strange Writer. Tell your Doctor that he's coming. The Doctor of Discord is coming with his army of steel."

"What? I don't understand!" The sound of the TARDIS began emanating through the air.

"I'm sorry, but I must take my leave. Farewell, Derpy Hooves, and...I am sorry. I am so, so sorry. I had no choice."

"What? What are you talking about?" Just as the TARDIS appeared a few feet away, the blue light in Alex's eyes disappeared and Alex proceeded to fall to the ground. Derpy ran over and picked him up. The TARDIS doors opened and the Doctor ran out.

"Derpy! Alex!" he cried as he ran forward.

"Doctor! He was here! The Writer, the Animator's Writer, was inside Alex! He killed the Animator, I think!"

"What?"

"It's a long story."

"I suggest you tell it once you get back home," said a familiar voice. The Doctor and Derpy looked to see the Writer in black standing a few feet away. "Go. I think it's about time that all the loose ends were wrapped up."

"I have so many questions," said Derpy.

"And so do the readers but, don't worry, you'll all learn the truth in due time. Everything will make sense when everything comes full circle. But, sadly, now is not the time for all the answers to be revealed. Now go. I'll handle everything from here." Derpy turned to face the Doctor.

"I don't really trust him," she whispered.

"Me neither but I think we should do what he says," the Doctor whispered back. Derpy sighed and nodded. The two ponies then helped pull the unconscious Alex through the TARDIS doors. The Writer smiled before aiming his hands at the TARDIS. Without even making a sound, the TARDIS disappeared from the beach of Dålig Ulv Stranden. Then, without a sound, the Writer disappeared as well. Everything was silent. The beach was silent. The battle that never was, the battle that only few would remember, had come to an end.