• Published 25th Jan 2012
  • 27,630 Views, 348 Comments

Lyra's Human - pjabrony



Yet another in the increasing Lyra-meets-with-a-human subgenre

  • ...
112
 348
 27,630

Chapter 9 - Resolution

“You did wonderful!” Lyra said to me. “I tried to make a speech like that but I just couldn’t get it out.”

“You did just fine. We’re here together, aren’t we? That’s all that matters.”

“Yes, and finally we can go back in and talk without being frightened to death.”

Most of the crowd had gone completely, though it caught my eye that one pony hadn’t moved, and then it occurred to me why not: because she was standing in front of her own house. It was Bon-bon, and she wasn’t wearing a smile.

“Er, perhaps it would be a good idea to send me home for a bit,” I said. “I’m sure you’d like to catch up with your roommate, and I should probably get some stuff done at home before I forget how to be human, and then I’m no good to you.”

Lyra caught Bon-bon’s expression. “Yes, that sounds good.” She looked up at the town clock. “It’s coming up on eight o’clock now, how about I bring you back in twelve hours.”

“That’ll be fine, gives me a whole day at home.”

“OK, hold still.”

I felt the magic take hold of me and saw Ponyville start to switch point by point back to my room. As the last of the world changed I heard a distorted voice say, “I hope you didn’t let it sleep in my bed!”

Back home I decided that my first step was to call in sick from work. The next twelve hours were too important to waste on a job that I no longer felt held primacy in my life. What I did want to do was gather materials that I would try to bring back with me to Equestria. I didn’t know if that was possible as I hadn’t tried either time I’d gone, but it would be worth the effort.

I drove to the library. I wanted a careful selection of books to take with me. My speech to the princess still resonated in my head. I really didn’t want to humanize Equestria. So some eliminations were easy. Nothing on guns, of course, or bombs or any weapons. In fact, no science whatsoever. If ponies wanted to know how they made plastic or whether string theory made any sense, let some bright pony figure it out.

As I went from the computerized card catalog to the shelves and back, I noticed an emptiness I had never felt. More than once, I picked up a book and turned with it, a half-formed, “Lyra, check this out,” dying in my throat. In one sense, she was fairly close, only an hour behind and only a few more ahead. But in others, she was as far away from me as possible. I couldn’t call her if I wanted, or go see her ahead of time. I felt impotent, and I felt, for the first time in my life, lonely.

Forget about it, back to the shelves. History? No, more lies in those books than truths, and dull at that. Tell her stories, and if they happened to draw on history so much the better. Religion? What for, when they know who their immortal ruler is? Sports? Would she really want to hear about baseball or table tennis, and lament not being able to play them? There was soccer of course, but I could hear her now: “What do you mean you can’t use your hands?! If I had hands I’d use them all the time for things I could do easier with magic anyway!”

My planned prime directive of non-interference in Equestrian society had given way to a greater question: “Will Lyra like this?” She’s just one pony, you fool! You’ve got all of Equestria to see! But I couldn’t convince myself. I had gone beyond being a brony. I was a Lyra-y.

Cookbooks, make sure they’re vegetarian, but go with it. Humor, yes. Memorize some anecdotes to tell her if I can’t get the books through. They can be conversation starters and will give her more of an insight into our society. Hey, Lyra, what about--I did it again.

I had been like it was described in the theme song. I didn’t use to wonder what friendship could be. But now she shared its magic with me, and I felt loss I had always tried to cut myself off from feeling. It hurt like hell. I wouldn’t have given it up for anything.

Music! Get some stuff on theory, but get plenty of sheet music too. Go home and print some out, the good stuff, songs that could be adapted to the lyre. Or in case of no carrying, get some tunes in my head to sing back to her, maybe she can write them down. I’d heard of some composers who worked that way.

That might be an avenue to solving another problem, that of Bon-bon. She might not want me living with them. Well, maybe with some human tunes Lyra could be a big star and make enough bits to pay for Bon-bon’s expenses if she—or we—had to move out. Money smoothes out a lot of wrinkles.

Something on a shelf caught my eye. There’s something I hadn’t thought of. Get it, and start learning what it had to teach. If I could bring it, fine, if not, well then, even rudimentary technique should impress. Well, that’s enough for now. I’ll be back here soon enough, and I can get more, the next time I’m not with her.

As the hours wore on my malaise lessened, and I knew it was because I was getting closer to seeing her again. I worked hard at memorization and practice. Eight o'clock approached. I climbed into bed with some of the more important sheet music and the last book I’d found clasped tight in my hands.

No fear this time, just faith. Lyra wouldn’t leave me here, not when she’d outfought the forces that would have had me be a stone statue. Right on time the world faded and Equestria came into being all around me. I landed, empty-handed after all.

“Welcome back,” she said.

“You don’t know how I’ve missed you.”

“Oh, I think I do.”

“How are things with Bon-bon?”

“Calmed down. She had her long weekend at a resort cut off because she left one of her bags here, and decided to pack more and go back for even longer. Some of it is time for us, more of it I think is to get her head around the situation.”

“We’ll have to do something nice for her. I had some ideas about how we might come to an arrangement.”

“And I’d love to hear them. I’d love to hear anything you have to say right now.”

“Well, I’d hoped to have some things to give you, but it seems you can only teleport me. Still, I can hold things in my head, and I found a book that taught me something I’ve been practicing for the past few hours. We’ve plenty to talk about, but I’d like to do something first.”

“Oh? Have you now? What a coincidence. You see, I've thought of something similar."

"OK, you go first."

She crossed her hooves and gave me a sly look.

"Well, you said there's no magic in your world, right? That must mean you've never levitated. Normally around here it's something that only little unicorn foals do before getting bored as they grow older, but it occurs to me that if you can't do it at all you might find it enticing."

"For real? You can do that?"

"Well, only a bit off the ground and not for very long, it's not like we could go to Cloudsdale."

"Never mind, it's enough!"

"And you said you had something for me?"

"Yes, though it probably pales in comparison to levitation."

"Let me be the judge of that."

I took a deep breath. I was banking on this being a distinctly human invention, since hooves are, I think, too hard for the purpose.

“Tell me, Lyra, do you know what a massage is?”

She cocked her head in confusion. I held up my hands.

It was the best night ever.