• Published 3rd Feb 2013
  • 646 Views, 3 Comments

Fanfic Snips - RangerBeef



A collection of short one-shots or single chapter ideas that I've had.

  • ...
 3
 646

Help Is On The Way

"You've failed, detective! There's nothing left for you to do! There's no one left to save! Accept you death with a little grace and humility." The grey earth pony shouted, his white mane swishing has he walked and shouted.

"You're wrong. There's always someone left to save." Shadow coughed from his position curled on the floor. "There's always someone left to fight as long as there's someone left to do the fighting. And I'm still standing."

"Quite the contrary, detective. You seem completely unable to stand. And where you lay is where you will rot. We've taken everything you care about in this world. Canterlot will not survive the night. Our dragon friends will be here any moment to wipe this pitiful city from the face of the planet. For that reason, I must leave you now, detective." The earth pony left Shadow's cell, slamming the door behind him.

Shadow couldn't help but smile as a song he had heard long ago flashed in his mind. "I've got my mother's dreams. I've got my father's eyes. You can't take that from me. Just go ahead and try." Gritting his teeth, Shadow rose slowly to his hooves. "The Crescent City sleeps while giants in the sky, preparing to unleash, let loose a mighty cry."

As if on cue a thunderous roar echoed through the halls of the prison and Shadow could only smile further. Pressing his neck to activate his communicator he spoke, "Shimmer. Dragons. More than one. Send in the Shadowbolts."

"They're already en route," said the feminine voice in his ear.

"Who's leading the charge tonight?"

"The best flyer we've got."

"I was just singing about her." Shadow closed his eyes and took a deep breath. "Tell her I'm sitting this one out. And tell her... Tell her to make her dad proud."

-----

Moon Chaser banked to her left and closed in with the rest of her squadron, barking orders, "Alright, boys and girls, we're going up against the real deal tonight. Dragons will be in Canterlot airspace. I want you fast, agile and strong. It's not just our lives at risk if we fail, it's all of Canterlot. Get me?"

A motivated "Yes ma'am" left Moon with a sense that her squadron would be fine, but dragons were the top tier of threats when it came to combat flying. Any mistake could mean death. Focusing forward and pushing ahead Moon's ear crackled momentarily and she dropped from her lead position, letting her second in command take over the flight.

Rubbing her ear for a moment she waited. In seconds there was another crackle of static accompanied by an all too familiar voice.

"Moon, can you hear me?"

"I can hear you, Shim. What's my old man need now?" Moon was cocky because she'd been called upon several times to aid her father in his covert spy missions.

There was a long pause in her ear and her suspicions were raised before Shimmer said, "He's sitting this one out, Moon. He'll be alright but he just wanted to wish you luck."

Moon came to a complete stop, hovering in the air. "Where is he?"

"Moon, you can't waste time trying to get to him. Canterlot needs you more than he does."

"To hell with Canterlot. Where is my father, Shimmer?"

"He's being held in the old cliff prisons below the castle, but Moon.."

Moon took off, heading directly toward the castle, before banking around toward the cliffs. Scanning the sheer wall in front of her she couldn't notice a difference in the wall to indicate the entrance. "What's it look like, Shimmer?"

Silence.

"Shimmer! Of all the people in this world who would understand me right now, you should be right at the top of the list. Now help me find him!" Moon shouted louder than she intended and caused some feedback in her own ear as a result.

Waiting just a moment more Moon's ear crackled. "Head to the base of the cliff, 50 meters off the water you should see a rock darker than the rest, press it."

Moon moved with a speed and determination she didn't know she possessed. Following Shimmer's instructions she found the correct rock and pressed it, and watched shocked as the entire rock wall in front of her seemed to shift. Windows appeared, all adorned with bars, and from one of them she saw black flashes emanating. She'd know her father's magic on even the darkest of nights.

Dashing to the window, she smiled and felt herself soften, the way only her father could make happen. "Dad! How do I get in there?"

"You don't. Get away from the window." Shadow seemed unsurprised by her sudden appearance.

"Dad.."

"Just do it, Moon." He issued the command not as a superior but as a father.

Moon turned and flew away from the window, hovering at a safe distance. She was waiting for something less than what she got. The window she had just been hovering by was soon blasted out of the wall. In fact, the entire wall attached to the window came with it, leaving a rather large hole in the back of Shadow's cell, who now lie motionless inside.

Moon once again dashed to her father, clearing some debris away from him. "Dad!?"

Shadow rolled over and groaned softly, before reaching and stroking a hoof over his daughter's face. "Twilight always said to never use that one in an enclosed space." His face turned to a wide smile and for a moment, they shared a laugh. "Come on, help me up."

Shadow rose slowly, dusting himself off and stretching. His age was beginning to show after all these years. "Alright, I'm saved, now go save the rest of Canterlot."

"Saved? You're sitting in a hole in the wall, 75 meters above the ocean. You're not saved."

"Oh, daughter, you think this old stallion has run out of tricks? Not by a long shot, my dear. Not by a long shot." Shadow cast another spell, one of his oldest and favorite. Without pause he stepped forward to the edge of the hole and stepped out and down onto the wall.

Moon moved quickly to grab him but she soon became aware that he wasn't falling. "How..?"

"The first spell Twilight ever taught me. Back before she was a princess. I told you I still had a few tricks." Shadow gave her a wink and a smile. "Now, go. Go save the rest of the world. I'm going on vacation."

Moon couldn't stifle her laugh, and she hugged her father, hovering over the ocean while he stood on the cliff. "Love you, Dad." In a flash, she was gone.

Shadow watched her fly off into the night, knowing she'd be just fine. "I love you too, sweetie."

As he began his trek down the wall, Shadow reached the chorus of his song. "Help is on the way...."

Author's Note:

If I ever write another Shadow Chaser story, expect to see this in it.