• Published 2nd Feb 2013
  • 1,293 Views, 31 Comments

Luminous Atonement - Metool Bard



A kind soul manipulated and deceived. A princess haunted by the past. A being who is chaos incarnate. What do they all deserve?

  • ...
2
 31
 1,293

Howling at the Moon

Luminous Atonement Chapter 14:
Howling at the Moon

When Princess Luna opened her eyes, she found herself in a most familiar place. Though the only source of illumination was the light of the moon shining from outside, she recognized the ancient stone walls and the arches that once held windows. It was almost as if nopony had been here in ages.

"So this is where Orthrus is hiding," said Discord, taking a quick glance around. "Humph. Can't say much for his taste in decor."

"Um, is anypony else getting a sense of déjà vu?" Fluttershy inquired. "I feel like I've been here before."

"As do I," agreed Luna. "I can't put my hoof on it, but this place does seem..."

She trailed off as she caught sight of an empty pedestal in the center of the room. Her eyes widened with realization, and she smacked her hoof to her face.

"I cannot believe this!" she groaned. "How could we have missed this?!"

"Let me guess, we passed this place on our little journey," said Discord.

"We did?" said a clueless Fluttershy. "I don't remember this place."

"Fluttershy, remember when I came back as Nightmare Moon?"

"Um, yes?"

"And you and your friends chased me into the ancient ruins where the Elements of Harmony used to be kept in order to stop me?"

"Uh-huh..."

"That's where we are! All this time, Orthrus was hiding right here at the edge of the Everfree Forest! Why didn't I notice this earlier?!"

"Now now, Lunatic. There's no use complaining about it," said Discord. "Although I must admit, I do share your frustration. I guess it's true what they say: A joke is never funny the second time you hear it."

Luna snorted angrily. "I suppose you're right," she said, although her tone was still fierce. "The important thing is that this wild goose chase is over. Now, I can finally put an end to this."

Just then, a sinister howl echoed from the chamber ahead of them. Luna gripped her head with her hoof as it throbbed with pain.

"Sounds like he's thinking the same thing," Discord observed. "Are you going to be okay, Lunatic?"

"I'm, fine," Luna said in a strained tone. "Come, follow me. I know where he's hiding in the ruins."

Before anyone could say anything else, she galloped off ahead. The other four shared a collective shrug before taking off after her.

***

When they arrived in the next room, Fluttershy knew for sure that they were in the ancient ruins where the Elements of Harmony were once kept. Stretching out before them was a long hallway, dotted by towering marble columns and broken stained-glass windows. Standing at the far end on an elevated pedestal was a large twin-headed hound with ebony fur and two starry manes. His attention seemed to be focused on the skylight above. Before Luna could say anything, his right head turned and sneered.

"Ah, welcome," he said in a suave and sophisticated manner as he slowly turned around. "My, it has been such a long time since I last saw you, Mistress. Beautiful night, isn't it? Don't you just wish it could last forever?"

"Spare me, Orthrus," Luna spat. "You have a lot to answer for."

"Do I now?" said Orthrus's right head, his glowing red eyes gleaming.

"Don't play innocent with me," snarled Luna. "You created new Shadowbolts and had them resurrect the Furies. You had them hypnotize an innocent pegasus into letting you out of Tartarus. You placed a curse upon me that is preventing this night from ending. You used the Furies to slander me, my sister, Discord, the Element Bearers, anypony who would get in your way. Well, I'm not going to stand for it any longer. I made you what you are, Orthrus. And I can just as easily unmake you."

"Are you done?" asked Orthrus's left head. "Because all you succeeded to do is whet our appetites. We have nothing to fear from any of you."

"Forgive me if I disagree," said Discord, folding his mismatched arms. "You are truly delusional if you think your power can even compare to mine. But of course, you put your faith into my worthless cousin the Chimera, so why should I have expected otherwise?"

"You are the one who's delusional, draconequus!" the left head snapped angrily. "We are not the same as before. We can match you blow for blow. You've seen it yourself through the Furies."

"Yes, and how are those hypocritical comedians doing, hmm?" said Discord slyly. "Oh, right! Silly me! I sent them back to that wretched abyss they crawled out of."

"For all the good it did you," the right head snickered. "The damage has already been done, Discord. Every stallion, mare, and foal in Equestria still blame you and Nightmare Moon for this eternal night."

"That isn't true," Fluttershy said sternly, flying up to the great beast. "Lots of ponies know the truth. They know you're the one behind this."

"And who will believe them?" said Orthrus's right head as he stroked Fluttershy's mane with his enormous paw. "More importantly, what if word gets out that you were the one that freed me from Tartarus? I doubt you'd have many friends standing by your side if that were to happen."

Fluttershy smacked Orthrus's paw away with her hoof. "No," she said darkly. "No more mind games. My friends know what happened. I know for a fact that they would never abandon me, and nothing you say can convince me otherwise."

Philomena screeched in agreement, spreading her wings and opening her talons.

"I think we've all heard enough out of you," said Luna, arching her back and pawing the ground. "It's time I did what I should've done a long time ago."

"Likewise," said Orthrus's two heads in unison. The great hound then reared back and let loose a deafening howl. Luna was forced to the ground, clutching her head in agony. Plumes of starry smoke billowed from Orthrus's mouths and traveled out the window into the Everfree Forest.

"Get used to the pain, Mistress," said Orthrus's left head, licking his lips as he stared at Luna with hungry eyes. "Because that was but the overture."

As if on cue, several other howls echoed from the forest. Luna squirmed and writhed on the ground, screaming as her splitting headache grew in intensity.

"Th-that sounded like timberwolves," said Fluttershy.

"Good ear," said Orthrus's right head with a sinister grin. "Indeed, I have used my dark magic to take control of the timberwolves. Their howls, while less impressive than my own, should serve their purpose and keep Princess Luna in her place."

He then towered over the suffering princess. "How does it feel, Mistress?" the left head taunted. "All of Equestria is against you, and you are powerless to even lift a hoof against us. Submit to us now, and your end will be swift."

"No wonder you got along with my cousin so well, Orthrus," said Discord. "You both talk too much."

He then snapped his fingers, and a pair of earmuffs appeared on Luna's head. The lunar princess felt the pain in her head subside and slowly got to her feet.

"It matters not," said Orthrus's right head. "I can still overpower my mistress, even if you aid her."

Luna shook herself and turned to Discord. "Listen, we need a plan," she told the draconequus. "Think you can distract him?"

Before Discord could answer, Angel and Philomena charged in. Philomena spread her wings and blinded Orthrus's left head with her plumage while Angel kept taunting the right head with his pantomime.

"Huh. Seems like those two got it covered," said Discord. "Alright Lunatic, talk to me. You have any ideas?"

"Just one," said Luna. "But I don't think you're going to like it."

"Try me."

Luna motioned Discord to come closer. He did so and listened intently as she whispered in his ear. When she finished, he frowned.

"Okay, you were right. I don't like it," said he.

"Trust me, Discord. This may be our best chance," said Luna, keeping her voice low. "I'll be fine, I promise."

"Not exactly what I was worried about, but okay," said Discord with a shrug. "Shall I inform Fluttershy?"

"By all means," said Luna. "And be sure to fill Angel and Philomena in later."

Discord nodded, and then flew over to Fluttershy. After he had whispered Luna's plan to her, she gasped.

"Wh-what?" she said nervously. "B-but Your Highness, you can't..."

"Fluttershy, you have to trust me on this," Luna insisted. "I already told Tia, I don't need a foalsitter. I can handle myself just fine, I promise."

"W-well, I don't know..."

"Please, Fluttershy. This is my royal decree as your princess."

Fluttershy mulled it over in her mind for a while. After a pause, she looked over at the Princess of the Night. "Pinkie Promise me you'll be okay."

Luna smiled. "Cross my heart and hope to fly, stick a cupcake in my eye. That's, how it goes, right?"

"Yes," said Fluttershy with a smile and a nod. "Alright, I'm in. Just be careful, alright?"

"I shall," said Luna with a solemn nod of her own.

With that, Discord snapped his fingers and a bright light cloaked the room. When the light dimmed, only Princess Luna and Orthrus remained. Orthrus shook himself to recover from the distraction and looked down at Luna, a nefarious grin appearing on both of his faces.

"You foolish little foal," his right head chortled. "After the pain you just experienced, you insist on fighting me alone?"

"This is my battle," said Luna firmly, adopting a battle position once again. "I'm the only one you want, after all. Ever since I created you, all you ever wanted was to overthrow me. You placed this curse upon my head to make me suffer; to force me to bow down to you. You intend to break my spirit before destroying me utterly, just as you intended to do a thousand years ago."

Her body seemed to radiate energy; her eyes becoming glowing blank pupils. "WELL HEAR THIS, YOU WRETCHED CUR!" she bellowed in her Canterlot voice. "WE SHALT NOT FALL TO THE LIKES OF THOU! THOU HATH CAUSED US ENOUGH SUFFERING TO LAST US A LIFETIME! AND AS LONG AS WE REMAIN STANDING, THOU SHALT NEVER CONQUER EQUESTRIA!"

Orthrus's two heads sneered as he too adopted a battle position. "Well then, we/I shall just have to rectify that," both heads said in unison. He then pounced towards his former mistress while Luna's horn glowed with magic.

"HAVE AT THEE!" she boomed, firing a spell to meet Orthrus's charge.