• Published 2nd Feb 2013
  • 1,766 Views, 66 Comments

Herald of the Night - Commentaholic



Once upon a time, in the magical land of Equestria, there were two regal sisters who ruled together. Unfortunately, such a peace could not last. A feud arose and the kingdom was split. A thousand years later, a purple unicorn arrives on a quest.

  • ...
0
 66
 1,766

Chapter Four: Arrival and Apples

Herald of the Night

Chapter Four: Arrival and Apples


The huddled, trembling form that was Twilight Sparkle lay amid the destruction that arose by way of her spectacular arrival. Her eyes, which were only now beginning to regain sight from the blinding light, could make out a dwindling, shrinking circle of white light directly above her: The Old Gate. Within moments, it was gone and the last remnant of the warmth of Luna's power was gone, leaving the lavender unicorn all alone.

She tried to stand, but found herself unable. Her body, still recovering from the ordeal of traversing the heavens, refused to accede to her demands. All she could do was do a mental checklist to make sure she was still in one piece before laying there and trying to calm down and rein her body back into her control.

What in Luna's name was that? was the first coherent thought Twilight's scattered mind could summon up. What she'd seen had terrified her... and had excited her. She had come that close to abandoning the mission and following that ethereal song into the void. Was that what the Princess was warning me about? Are the stars... evil?

With this question echoing over and over in her mind, Twilight passed out.


Luna winced at the question, her starry mane floating in the ethereal wind, "Not 'evil', Twilight... Not really. It would be unfair to call them evil as a whole. Misguided, perhaps. Most are benign, but undoubtedly powerful. There is a reason that the Elements are such a force to be reckoned with."

The two of them stood in Twilight's dreamscape, surrounded by what looked to be a great dome, light filtering down through a hole in the apex and illuminating the duo in its pale, silvery light. Faint silhouettes of bookcases lined along the base of the high-arching structure's round walls.

"Then what happened up there?" Twilight said, having calmed down significantly after being told that she hadn't been pulled back to the Moon to be punished for failure.

"They saw a being through which they could act. Learn. Exist. I told you I couldn't protect you entirely from them and they saw their chance to sink their influence into someone who was inexperienced in dealing with their powers. For the last thousand years, the only ponies they have had the chance to reach out to have been myself and my sister. And we, having used the Elements of Harmony, were immune to their seductive strength. You, however, must have a desire or potential for great power, else they would not have bothered."

Luna smiled kindly and placed a hoof on Twilight's shoulder. More for effect than actual physical touch, which could not be felt here, "You showed great fortitude in refusing them. I am proud of you."

Twilight felt a sweeping warmth at the praise. Though it wasn't the first time that Twilight had completed a task for her ruler, she still felt a great pride at pleasing her Princess.

"Thank you, Princess. Where do I go from here?" Twilight inquired, looking up at Luna.

Luna nodded and her horn glowed. Suddenly, the chamber was gone and they stood upon a cloud high above a strange land. Strange in the way that it wasn't a pock-marked plain upon the Moon. There were rolling hills of grass below their hooves, a winding road or two within easy sight. A forest far off to the left and, in the distance ahead of them, an orchard with a worn-out barn.

"This is the land in which you find yourself, Twilight Sparkle." the Princess said, gesturing, "At least, as much as we can determine with my telescope and with the stars grudgingly granting their view of the countryside. You landed, and are currently located, on the edge of the forest over there. Deeper into the Everfree, there is the castle in which are housed the expended shells of the Elements of Harmony. Upon awakening, I recommend you get moving immediately. The Everfree is dangerous after dark and you should gain some ground while you can. Not to mention, you might have been seen while descending."

Luna looked almost nervous. "I... would keep your origins a secret, Twilight. While I have not allowed my sister's memory to be tainted, she might not have done the same. Ponies of the Lunar Kingdom may not be received kindly. Try to gather information about the ponies in the area, if possible, but try to avoid giving them too much in return."

Twilight nodded. "Anything else, Princess?"

Luna reached out, a worried expression on her face. "Be safe, Twilight Sparkle. I wish to make peace with my sister, but I do not wish to do so at anypony else's cost."

Around them, the scenery began to melt, blur and blend together into a shapeless haze.

"Yes, Princess Luna. I'll be careful. I promise."


Twilight awoke slowly, to her dismay, to a low rumble of multiple worried voices.

"Do ya think she's alright?" said a filly's high-pitched voice.

"Not sure, sugarcube. Look at all this damage she done." said an older mare.

"But if she did all this damage, why is she asleep?" The filly again.

"Well, maybe somepony attacked her, or she tired herself out with some spell. She's a unicorn, in case y'all haven't noticed."

"But who would-"

"Applebloom! Hush now!" said a deep male voice. A stallion. Big one, by the sound of him.

Twilight opened her eyes, blinking.

"She's wakin' up!"

Twilight's still-hazy eyes registered three blurs in the morning light. A large red one, a medium-sized orange one and, behind the two, a small yellow one with something red on its head. With a few blinks, these resolved into a large red-furred stallion with an orange mane, an orange mare with a blonde mane and a small yellow filly with a red mane, each with freckles aplenty.

"Umm... hello there..." Twilight said cautiously. For the first time noticing the rampant destruction around her. Trees were uprooted, the ground dug up in all directions and, not least of all, herself laying in a small crater. It was no wonder that she had been found. "Has anyone seen my saddlebags?"

"Really?" the orange mare asked, raising an eyebrow, "That's the first thing you're gonna ask?"

"Yes?" Twilight said, slowly rising to her hooves. Maybe she could make a run for it... Or maybe make an emergency teleportation. She hadn't got the spell down perfectly, having only come across it passingly in a library book of advanced spellcasting, but maybe she could get at least out of sight. She started to slowly back up, looking around. She still remembered Luna's warning about the local ponies. The orange mare saw and approached.

"Whoa there, nelly. First you're gonna tell us who you are and what you're doing in what looks like the one of Pinkie's parties gone awry. Now, you'd better tell the truth or else I'll tell the Mayor."

Twilight opened her mouth without thinking, an honest answer right on the tip of her tongue before she caught herself.

Wait... what just happened?

The compulsion had almost overwhelmed her own will. A chill ran down her spine.

A power misused... Honesty. I've gotta get out of here. I can't deal with the power of an Element right now. Not without the shell to contain it. Her horn glowed fiercely as she began focusing hard on the spell and the location: Anywhere but where she was. The stallion and mare pounced at her, only to have her vanish right before their very eyes.

Author's Note:

Not exactly an exciting chapter, but definitely one that is enlightening.

I'll be receiving questions about the Lunar Kingdom if any are interested in utilizing it anywhere. Once I get enough questions, I'll put up a chapter containing my answers to the best of my ability (without spoilers).