• Published 29th Jan 2013
  • 12,521 Views, 1,100 Comments

Kick about! Los Lobos! - Dirty Bit



Watch as a coyote and his cub finally meet with a pack of their own...

  • ...
38
 1,100
 12,521

Capitulo Veintitres

Capitulo Veintitres

A Lone Wolf Once More

Everypony around Starrk, including the terrified crowd, did not expect those particular words come out of his mouth; he showed no sign of hesitation nor regret when he made his brief statement. The silence was broken by both Lilynette and Rainbow Dash "What!?" They said simultaneously.

Starrk looked back at his friends behind him "Yeah, you heard right. I'm gonna leave this place for a bit until something else happens..."

Rainbow Dash stammered "B-But, you'd actually give them what they want just like that? We're trying to convince them not to make you leave!"

Derpy stared pleadingly at the former espada "Starrk, please don't do this. We don't want you to leave. You're our friend..." She said in a sorrowful whimper.

Starrk stared at Rainbow Dash and Derpy, then towards the other mares, all of which looked just as worried about his statement "I know this bothers you all, but I don't think it's right for me to be here with these people being afraid of me all the time; it'll only complicate things for the rest of you. If there was a way for them to ignore their fear of me, maybe I'll come back."

A strike to his left foreleg made him grunt as he looked down at an irate Lilynette "Are you stupid or something? Why would you just think about leaving this place when you have nowhere else to go? More importantly, you'll just leave everyone behind as well?"

Starrk looked down at Lilynette and patted her on the head "You don't have to come with me, you know. In fact, I haven't planned on it. You have a family now, and it's not in my right to just take that away from you."

Sparkler hid the urge to gag at the unexpected sentiment in Starrk's explanation to Lilynette 'Just get on with it, you lazy lout!'

Lilynette snarled as she swatted away Starrk's hoof "Listen to yourself! You act like it's so easy to be pushed around just because some stupid ponies are afraid of you!"

Dinky frowned at Lilynette while she went off on Starrk "Lily..."

"These idiots were cheering you on earlier and you know it! Don't ignore that just because they're afraid of your power now! Use your brain for once and stay here!" Lilynette finished as she hyperventilated.

Starrk and those around him were able to see the hurt in Lilynette's eyes. It wasn't a pleasant sight for him, but he knew what he had to do. He trotted past the red filly and went down the stairs, leaving her to hang her head and grit her teeth while Dinky comforted her with a nuzzle. Derpy, Twilight, Rainbow Dash, and Pinkie galloped after him "Coyote, wait." Twilight said, making the former espada stop and look back at four mares.

Twilight approached him, her frown deepening "Where will you go?" She asked calmly.

Rainbow Dash narrowed her eyes "Yeah. If you're actually gonna leave us behind, the least you could do is tell us where you'll be so we can be in touch with you!"

Starrk stared before he looked away in thought. Perhaps he could travel a short distance away from Ponyville since these ponies in particular were more attached to him than the ones that feared him. He looked back at the group of mares with faint curiousity "Is there another forest besides Whitetail Woods?"

Pinkie nodded "Yeah, the Everfree Forest. But that place is dangerous!" She paused before she giggled "Nevermind. I know that somepony like you wouldn't be scared." There was a pause, and Pinkie gave a low gasp with widened eyes "Wait a minute..." She grinned brightly as she hatched an idea "Zecora!"

Starrk blinked "Who?"

"Zecora! She's a zebra that lives in the Everfree Forest. Maybe you can live with her for a little bit until we make sure that everypony can get used to you. When that happens, you'll be able to come back and it'll be like nothing happened!" Pinkie explained.

Derpy perked up with a smile "That's a great idea, Pinkie!" She looked at Starrk with her eyes slightly rotating "Maybe Zecora can let you stay at her place, and she might be able to help us out with this problem if she could!"

Starrk hummed at the idea before he nodded "Okay, I guess I'll go with that, then. Where can I find her?"

Twilight held up a hoof "She's not too deep in the forest, but be sure to keep an eye out for a hut with masks and flasks." She smiled "One of us could lead you there while the rest of us-"

"I'll do it." Rainbow Dash interrupted as she trotted to Starrk's side "Leave this job to me. Meanwhile, you and the others try to figure out this situation. I'll be sure to come back and help if nothing happens."

Twilight nodded to Rainbow Dash "Alright, Rainbow. Be sure to run the situation by Zecora once you reach her."

Rainbow Dash smirked "Got it. Good luck, everypony."

Pinkie quickly closed the distance between her and Starrk to wrap her forelegs around him in a crushing hug "I know you won't be too far, but I'm gonna miss you, Starrky!" The pink pony cried. Rainbow Dash quickly looked away while Starrk grunted in Pinkie's grip.

After Pinkie broke the embrace, Derpy was next to give Starrk a hug with the same intensity, much to his dismay; he was beginning to hate the tradition of hugging other people or being hugged without warning. She looked into his eyes with a smile "You be careful, okay? Come back soon."

Starrk simply nodded to Derpy, then noticed Twilight nearing him "You, too? I'm not gonna be far." He said in mild exasperation.

Twilight looked down as she pawed at the ground "Well, I'm just as downcast as everypony else, since you're just gonna leave us like this for the time being." She gazed at Starrk with a frown "I never got the chance to know you better." Her stare became blank before she stammered "Th-That is, study your properties through experimentation..." Twilight quickly recovered with a faint blush.

Starrk rolled his eyes before he focused on Twilight again "Well, you might get your chance someday, just not now. I'm sure this'll blow over sooner than expected, but right now, I want to put this behind me." He looked at Derpy with a hardened gaze "While I'm gone, take care of Lilynette. Make sure she won't cause any problems."

Derpy snapped a mock salute "You can count on me, Starrky." She said eagerly.

Rainbow Dash groaned lightly as she looked at the group "C'mon, everypony, we don't need to make this too much of a sappy moment, do we?"

Starrk turned to Rainbow Dash "I agree. Why don't we go and spare these folks the trouble of having me around?"

Rainbow Dash frowned at Starrk's choice of words. To her, it was as if he was too mellow for his own good, even in the worst situations. Sure, Starrk was powerful, but she didn't like his response too much. She hovered in the air and glided away a few inches "Just follow me, okay? It won't be too long."

Starrk wordlessly complied and left the other mares behind. Once they were out of sight, Twilight sighed and turned to her friends "Okay, girls. Let's try and reason with those ponies some more. Maybe they'll cooperate better now that Starrk's not with us."

Pinkie grinned "Okie Dokie Loki!" She said as she followed Twilight and Derpy back up to the stairs leading to the hall's entrance. She looked over at a bitter Lilynette and found the opportunity to cheer her up "Heya, Lily! Guess what?"

Lilynette growled "What?"

Pinkie patted her on the head "Starrky will be back soon once we find a way to bring Ponyville to their senses!"

Lilynette looked up at Pinkie with a skeptical glance "How long will that be?"

Pinkie stared at Lilynette until she shrugged "I dunno, but it might not be long!" She scooped up and hugged the red filly "And the best part is you'll be able to visit him if you feel like it!" Pinkie was oblivious to Lilynette struggling and trying to break out of her hug.

Sparkler trotted up to Lilynette "I wouldn't worry too much, Lilynette. Starrk's able to handle himself and he might be back depending on what happens." She inwardly grinned 'Of course he wouldn't have the mind to, considering the power of my fear spell. This is all too easy!' She glanced at the crowd 'This is only the beginning. Once my power has returned completely, I'll drive Equestria into an era of fear...' She looked down at Aloe and Lotus in the crowd, then craned her head 'Wait a minute...Where is the third one?'

Twilight brought up the megaphone with her magic and spoke to the crowd "Look, everypony. You've got what you wanted; Coyote Starrk is gone. There's no reason for you all to harbor any more signs of paranoia now. But can you all explain how or why you chose to act like this while we were busy repairing our town?"

Berry Punch shook her head "We don't know...We just spoke with Lotus, and it was as if her words sunk in."

Colgate raised a hoof "That Coyote Starrk is a menace! We should contact Princess Celestia and have him apprehended quickly!"

Twilight scowled at Colgate "Would you cut that out? He's not gonna bother us anymore!" She sighed "Now let's try this again. How did you grow so fearful of somepony that saved you all earlier, and why would it matter even now? Were you all unaware that he was willing to help mend the damage that was done to Ponyville?"

The crowd fell silent, until some faint murmurs were heard. Twilight huffed and went to speak until Sparkler trotted up next to her "I don't think it'd be right to continue with this, Twilight. There isn't much we can do if we can't change their minds so easily. Maybe we should give them time and they can come around eventually." She said with a reassuring smile.

Twilight frowned at Sparkler until she glanced at the crowd with a sigh "Maybe you're right. If their fear is genuine, then there's no point in making them dwell on it right now. We'll just have to wait them out."

"Umm, Twilight?" came Fluttershy's voice. Twilight looked back, and she noticed Vera standing next to the timid pegasus with a perplexed glance "Vera just woke up and she's very confused. Do you think you could explain to her what's going on right now?" Fluttershy asked.
_____

Starrk and Rainbow Dash found themselves in a forest more dark and treacherous in appearance rather than that of Whitetail Woods. The latter navigated ahead while the two pegasi glided in the air. She looked back at the unchanged look on Starrk's face, then quickly looked ahead as she kept track of her trail 'Darn it. Should I even make a move now while all of this is happening? I can't believe this guy's so quick to throw away his well-earned life like that. Seriously, who does that!?'

"Thanks." Rainbow Dash's ears flickered when the silence was broken, and she looked back at Starrk "For guiding me out here, I mean. I should also apologize for the trouble I've somehow caused, but I doubt they could care less about that."

Rainbow Dash scoffed "Obviously because you're sounding like such a downer. Do you even listen to yourself talk?" When she got no response, she continued "And for the love of Celestia, all of this wasn't your fault! You didn't cause any trouble, and you know it."

Starrk easily kept up with Rainbow Dash while they veered across each tree "They seem to think a lot differently..." He said before raising an eyebrow "Do you think they would have a chance convincing the ponies that fear me to stop?"

Rainbow Dash cast a sideways glance at Starrk, smirking at him "You really are new to Equestria to even ask that question." She said before quickly looking forward. When she spotted a hut in the distance, the cyan pegasus looked down at it "Okay, we're here." Rainbow Dash descended towards the location with Starrk following suit.

When they reached it, the two pegasi looked up at the exotic background the hut was giving off. Like Twilight had said, there were some masks and some potion flasks hanging from vines from branches around the tree where the hut was built. Starrk observed the masks and was almost certain that they reminded him of masks commonly seen on hollows.

He saw Rainbow Dash trot towards the door, then stopped to look back at him "You coming or what?"

Starrk shook off his thoughts and trotted up next to Rainbow Dash, staring at the front door "This Zecora...Would she really understand my position?"

Rainbow Dash rapped at the door three times "If it's any consolation, she was like you once; an outsider that everypony feared and spread rumors about."

Starrk arched an eyebrow at Rainbow Dash, curiosity looming in his eyes "Was she strong?"

Rainbow Dash stared blankly at Starrk before she scratched the back of her head "Well...I don't think she is..." She then smiled "But she's about as smart as Twilight when it comes to magic."

Starrk and Rainbow Dash turned to the door and expected it to open. So far there was no response. Feeling as if nopony heard her knock, Rainbow Dash rapped on the door again once more. She then turned to see Starrk stare ahead with a wistful glance. No doubt he was thinking to himself. Rainbow Dash felt that she should at least savor her time with Starrk if the situation in Ponyville would possibly take long "Hey, Starrk. I know I said that I didn't want any sappy moments, but I gotta tell you something..."

Starrk looked over at Rainbow Dash with his gaze softer than usual "Yeah?"

The cyan pegasus didn't expect Starrk to answer that way. She felt her heart quiver just from the way he looked and sounded 'Snap out of it, stupid! Just let it out and head back to Ponyville...' She took a deep breath "I..." In her pause, Rainbow Dash's eyes shifted in different directions "Well, I really shouldn't while we're dealing with so much right now, but...I..." She scrunched her face and looked at him with narrowed eyes "I still haven't heard from you if you wanna work with me on weather duty yet!" A faint blush was seen on her face.

Luckily for her, Starrk failed to notice it as he blinked "You're still on about that?"

Rainbow Dash looked away "Well, we don't know how long it might take, and I said I can't keep an opening forever. So will you join me once we get you back or not?"

Starrk stared at Rainbow Dash while she found a sudden interest in a nearby bush. He wasn't too keen on deciding on a job position while he was standing in the middle of a dangerous forest, but the world he was residing in had enough craziness to send Hueco Mundo into chaos. He may as well get his decision over with while the offer was still there. Starrk nodded to Rainbow Dash "I accept." He saw her eyes widen "I'll be sure to get through to you once this whole thing blows over..." He looked away himself "If it blows over..."

"Really?" Rainbow Dash asked with hope and happiness before she cleared her throat "I-I mean, cool." She smiled "Don't worry, we'll get you back home sooner than you think. Just mellow out around here and wait for us." Her heart sunk despite the happiness she felt from his response. She knew that waiting for Starrk's decision for her offer on weather duty wasn't the true intention.

Starrk noticed both the disappointment in Rainbow Dash's eyes as they trailed off, and the curse she uttered under her breath "What's wrong? I'd figure you'd be happy with my decision to join."

Rainbow Dash flinched before she sighed "It's not that..." She looked up at Starrk, a faint glimmer in her eyes. She was unaware that the feeling building up inside of her was slowly taking over "There's something else I wanna do before I go back..."

Starrk blinked before he inched closer to Rainbow Dash, causing her spine to shiver "Yeah?" He asked while looking back in her eyes, though didn't show any feeling of his own.

Rainbow Dash knew what she had to do. She inched her face towards Starrk, much to his confusion as their muzzles where inches away "Starrk, I..." She uttered as she was about to close the distance.

"This is a most unexpected surprise.
May I ask what is going on before my eyes?"

Starrk and Rainbow Dash turned to see a zebra mare decorated in golden bands and earrings, a seasoned and patient expression seen in her turquoise eyes. Starrk tilted his head at her appearance, seeing how she was entirely different from the ponies he had seen in Ponyville.

Rainbow Dash was surprisingly calm as she stared at Zecora "Nothing...I was wondering if you'd be doing a favor for me and my friends." The zebra mare looked over at Starrk, humming as she examined his features.

"Your favor involves this pegasus, yes?
Has he caused your town a lot of stress?"

Starrk was now befuddled to realize that she was speaking in rhymes. He scratched his head "Actually, yes. I was gonna leave Ponyville, and Pinkie and her friends proposed me to come here."

Rainbow Dash's ominous calm had not subsided "Yeah, some of the ponies in Ponyville are afraid of him and haven't exactly accepted him yet. That's pretty much it." Zecora craned her head back with a quizzical glance.

"Is what you're telling me actually true?
This must be a case of deja vu!"

"Tell me about it." Rainbow Dash replied tersely "We apologize for the trouble, but could you lend us a hoof while we take care of this problem?" Starrk looked over at Rainbow Dash and her sudden poker face. He was getting some sort of bad vibe just from looking at her. Meanwhile, Zecora smiled warmly at the cyan pegasus.

"If what you're going through is an arduous trial,
Then I'll let your friend stay with me for a while."

Zecora looked over at Starrk, who stared back at her with hesitation in his eyes. She merely chuckled at his reluctant expression.

"There's no need to be shy; I'm quite tame.
May I ask you for your name?"

"It's Coyote Starrk." The former espada replied "Thanks for letting me stay with you. I didn't anticipate this all happening." Zecora closed her eyes as she nodded sagely.

"Nopony can grasp fate's true form.
Uncertainty is a profound norm."

Starrk blinked at Zecora's versed advice while Rainbow Dash continued to maintain her calm "Well, I'll leave you two alone, I guess. See you later." She said in a nearly monotonous tone before she took flight.

Zecora and Starrk watched Rainbow Dash leave, then stared at each other. Before one of them could speak, a loud and raspy yell echoed through the forest.

Starrk turned to where the sound came from with a grimace "Aw man...Don't tell me she's in trouble..." He looked over at Zecora, who had a knowing look on her face.

"She is rarely in trouble when she's able to fly.
T'was a yell of frustration, though I know not why..."

Starrk looked back at where Rainbow Dash flew off to. What could she possibly be frustrated about? He decided to ignore it and turned back to Zecora "I'm not gonna go in just yet. I think I might wander this forest a little before I do." Zecora stared at Starrk as if he grew another head.

"You're mistaken to find a peaceful path.
The Everfree Forest holds unforgiving wrath."

Starrk shook his head "Trust me when I say there's not much to worry about. I was feared because of my power. I'm not one to brag, but I can handle myself out here." Zecora frowned at the response.

"You know not of the dangers that lie in wait.
If you're careless, you'll suffer a cruel fate."

Starrk looked away, wistfulness seen in his eyes "Trust me...I've been through worse..." After a moment of silence, he looked back at Zecora "Look, don't worry about me. I'm happy you care about me, but I'll be back here in one piece." Zecora stared at Starrk until she relented with a sigh.

"If there is truth to your words, then go ahead.
You're to call for me when suffering dread.
Be sure not to wander off too far,
Or else your path will grow bizarre."

With a curt nod, Starrk wordlessly trotted away from the hut and chose to explore the forest on his own. Zecora watched him go with a concerned gaze before she turned away and went back inside of her hut.

Coyote Starrk was now by himself once again; no company for him to confide in. He knew it was temporary given the current situation, but a part of him felt an uncomfortable chilling sensation when he was welcomed with the familiar feeling of loneliness. It was so bad that the former espada even missed traveling with Lilynette. He sighed to himself as he trotted on his own and looked ahead at the winding forest in front of him.

When he thought about Zecora's mention of danger, he realized that he could only perform his cero with the use of a cloud, and that he would end up demolishing most of the forest if he wished to do so. He made a mental note to rely on his brute strength if the situation ever called for it.

He wandered for what felt like hours, though he could still see rays of sunlight hanging above the trees. Starrk then directed his attention back towards the forest, looking around at the seemingly threatening environment that surrounded him. Finding his way back to Zecora's hut would be an easy feat with his Sonido, but he wasn't ready to go back just yet despite his current feelings.

The sound of a rustling bush caught Starrk's ears as he turned to his left to see a creature appear from the foliage. He wasn't exactly threatened because of two small details: 1. It was nothing but a wolf 2. It was a wolf made of wood.

Although the creature appeared mundane to the former espada, he was somewhat satisfied to be around another living creature, especially one that reminded him of his power's supposed theme. The wolf growled and salivated, slowly advancing towards him while he simply stood by and stared back.

When the wolf got close, Starrk narrowed his eyes at the wolf, and it somehow abandoned its predatory background as it felt a chill through its body. The wooden creature stared up at Starrk, then slowly inched towards him and sniffed at him until it froze with widened eyes.

From the wolf's point of view, it was as if it stood in the presence of the largest wolf pack in existence despite it being one lone stallion. It inched away and gave off a whimper, causing Starrk's gaze to soften.

Starrk was more curious about the wolf after its change of demeanor. Was the beast able to feel his power unlike the ponies in Ponyville? He held out a hoof towards it and saw how it inched away further. Feeling as if the wolf didn't get the message, Starrk motioned his hoof for the wolf to approach him. He was pleased when the wooden creature complied to his request and reluctantly rested its head beneath Starrk's hoof.

The former espada gently pet the wolf and sighed to himself once again. The Everfree Forest was adept at reminding him of the unforgiving landscape that was once his own home. The only difference was that he was able to interact with other creatures without them getting killed '...If only there was a pack here...'

As if a divine force answered his prayers, several bushes rustled and revealed more wooden wolves that surrounded Starrk and the one he was petting. He looked around to see them growling, but they eventually stopped and stared at him neutrally as he continued to pet the wolf next to him. After making a count of the wolves around him, Starrk cracked a ghost of a smile.

Maybe this world wasn't so bad after all.

To be continued...

Author's Note:

That's right. I know I have stories to do. Gonna let college and video games rule my life entirely?

Anyways, here we have a change of pace. Starrk is temporarily out of commission for a couple of chapters, meaning more time for sweet, lovable Lilynette to have the spotlight (If I can manage, that is :twilightblush:)

Enjoy this chapter. Peace! :twilightsmile: