• Published 29th Jan 2013
  • 642 Views, 2 Comments

Duality of Perception: Black and White - sweeT2010Tooth



Perceive the world through a young zebra filly's eyes in search of his father.

  • ...
 2
 642

The Big Apple

Dear Journal,

Finding my way to the bright lights was impossible since I couldn’t see them during the day. I didn’t want to go outside at night, though, because of those monsters I saw. I headed in the direction of the bright lights in hope of finding one of those ‘cities’ the zebra shaman mentioned. It had been hours walking now and my hooves were hurting. I was also getting hungry so I decided to get a snack out of my sack. As I ate, I thought about papa and whether I was making a good decision. I hope you’re not angry with me, mama.

Finishing my snack, I saw the sun was setting. I had to quicken my pace as I didn’t want to be outside alone in the dark. It was too late, mama. The sun went down but, as it did, I started to make out where the bright lights were so that is where I headed. I was closer than I thought but not close enough. Even though the bright lights were shining, all around me I could not see. I continued on but thought I heard movement behind me. I would stop in my tracks only to find whatever was following me stopping as well. Then, I heard it. It was some sort of animal growl. It made me scared, mama. The noise stopped followed by rapid movement in my direction. I ran mama!

My heart was racing the whole time. What was following me? Spotting some shelter, I hid hoping to get away from whatever this was. It didn’t take long before - what sounded like hoof steps - closing in on my hiding spot. Being very close, the sounds of movement stopped. For a moment, there was silence then a familiar laugh was heard like from one of those monsters outside my window. After a while, it left. I didn’t want to be caught out here with that thing so I waited a little longer and quietly crept away from my hiding spot. As the sun began to rise, I came upon the place where the bright light came from: a big ‘city’ with huts stretching to sky.

Nopony welcomed me when I entered the city. They all seemed too busy racing about here and there. It was strange because my village welcomed anypony that came along. There was so much noise too, mama! I couldn’t hear myself think. Also, it was hard to breathe like the air was not fresh or something. How could anypony live like this? I’d walk around trying to ask anypony if they had seen a zebra but they seemed too busy to notice. There were so many ponies, mama! But none of them cared to take notice of me and, when they did, they called me a ‘filthy beggar.’ I don’t even know what that means, mama!

The only ponies that responded to me looked dirty in old rags. They asked me for bits I could spare but I didn’t have any. I asked if they saw any zebra come by but, sadly, they didn’t. I spent some time talking to a few of them and they seemed nice, mama! Some expressed concern to why a little colt would be travelling alone and that the ‘city’ was not a very safe place for me. I needed to find papa though! I asked them what the ‘city’ was like and they said it was a way of life. They told me of their day-to-day struggles and how invisible they were to society. I asked them if they ever thought about the lands outside the city but they responded that every place was the same. Some were happy with their place in life and some were not. I suppose some saw only darkness while some only saw light.

Papa wasn’t here and, if he was, there was no way I could find him. The ‘city’ was too busy, too noisy, and the air was thick. It was a beautiful ‘city’ mama, but it made me feel like one single pony didn’t matter at all. Most everypony was so busy walking here and there to notice the beautiful ‘city’ in which they lived.

I started to take my leave when, among all the moving ponies, I noticed one that seemed to be following me. He had a greyish coat, white mane, and black eyes. This pegasus pony came up to me smiling which was unusual because every other pony looked serious. He asked what a lone little zebra was doing in a big ‘city’ and offered me assistance to get back to my village. I couldn’t put my hoof on it but his presence scared me mama! I declined to which he tried to grab me so I ran. I was so scared mama! I outran him in the crowds but, fearing his approach, I quickly made my way out of the ‘city.’

At the exit, I had to catch my breath so I stopped. What was I going to do now? My thoughts raced along and I was never so scared in my life. The sun was setting and I began to see another beam of bright lights in the distance. I couldn’t head back now when I was so close to finding papa!

As I headed in the direction of the new set of bright lights, I thought about the ‘city’ I was just in. It was beautiful, wonderful, and inspiring with its towering huts. However, the ponies there seemed to not take notice of this at all. They even ignored some of their own left to rot away in the streets. Why were they so busy, mama? What were they after that - being so important - they couldn’t take care of their own? The village wasn’t like this. We didn’t have nearly as many ponies but we welcomed everypony. We also took care of our own. If onepony was sick, everypony made a visit including the village elder to make sure proper care was provided. It made me miss home. I made my way toward the bright lights with thoughts of loneliness creeping into my mind.

Mama used to say not everything is Black and White. But, mama, all I ever see is the darkness and the light.

Author's Note:

I was going to put Broadneigh in but figured there was no place for that joke.