• Published 9th Feb 2013
  • 424 Views, 14 Comments

The end of magic - Brosparkles



Scroll Seeker has come to the city of Manehattan to further his studies. But times are changing, and this city is strange and new. The world is becoming more "modernized," and magic is becoming an old and obscure art.

  • ...
 14
 424

Chapter 2: A suspicion

The sun peeked into his windows, and Scroll awoke. He let out a deep yawn, and slowly got up, got dressed, and headed out. Heading out the door, he and Twilight were the only ones awake. She was coming down the hallway, leaving the royal library.

“Ah, good morning.” she said.

“Morning. I’m guessing Celestia is up, if the sun is?”

“She should be, but we should wait for the others.”

“We could at least visit her, I’d definitely love to meet a princess.”

“I suppose we could visit with her, if she isn’t too busy.”

The two of them head off towards the throne room, where Celestia awaited.

“Princess Celestia!” Twilight exclaimed, excitedly running off towards her.

It truly was the mighty Celestia, in her solar glory, sitting on her throne. She seemed just as awe-filled as he had imagined, although a bit less formal.

“It’s good to see you again. I’ve been worried.” she said.

“About what?”

“I’ll explain when Rarity and Spike are awake.”

Almost as if on cue, Rarity entered.

“Please, don’t allow me to hold you.”

“No, it is important you hear this as well.”

“I’ll go wake Spike up.” said Twilight.

She headed to his room, and knocked on his door a few times. No response. She tried louder, but still nothing.

“Let me give it a try.” said Rarity. “Oh, Spikey-Wikey! I would be ever so delighted if you would wake up so the princess can speak!”

This seemed to be the key, and spike awoke almost instantly after Rarity spoke.

“Rainbow is going to be difficult to wake.” said Twilight.

“Let her rest.” said Celestia. I’m sure you all are hungry, I shall have my cooks prepare a breakfast immediately.”

She clapped her hooves together, and the kitchen started up in a blaze of cooking. Various greens and apple dishes were being prepared. Flowers and vegetables of all sorts were being chopped, in a flurry of cutting knives. The scent wafted throughout the palace, truly exquisite. Rainbow could be heard awaking from her room.

“There’s no way Rainbow would sleep through a meal.” said Twilight.

Rarity, Spike, Twilight, and Celestia all shared a small laugh. Rainbow walked in, looking around.

“I smell food, where is it?” she said.

“Cooking, It will be done soon.” said Celestia. “But while it cooks, I have a rather important message for you all.”

Celestia took a much more serious tone.

“I’m sure you all know about the recent technological advances that have occurred. But, I fear these changes are not all good. My subjects are getting more and more reliant on this technology, and the old ways are fading. Most unicorns here in Canterlot have completely given up on magic.”

Celestia looked directly towards Twilight, her regal attitude becoming subdued.

She hung her head low, and seemed quite distressed.

“Excuse me for a moment, please.”

She headed off into the halls, and stayed back there for quite some time. She came back, seeming a bit more collected.

“Twilight, I have a mission for you and your friends. Your apprentice, as well. I’ve never trusted Prince Blueblood, and I suspected he may have been up to something. Normally I would say he was too incompetent to pose a threat, but something just didn't seem right. I've heard from Trottingham about an uprising. This is where you come in. I need you to find out what Blueblood is up to. You are the only ponies I trust with the job.”

“I don’t know about this.” said Rainbow, rather bluntly. “This seems less like protection of Equestria, and more like paranoid spying.”

“I understand your concerns, but please, trust me. Something horrible is going to happen. I can feel it.”

“We’ll do our best.” said Twilight.

“I’m staying out of this.” said Rainbow. “I’m not a spy.”

“Please, at least think it over.” said Celestia. “Maybe you can consider it while eating, breakfast is finished.”

A large table was hauled out by several chef-ponies, and more carried various foodstuffs with them. The food was laid out, quite an extravagant spread for breakfast for six. Various pastries, and all sorts of sweet apple dishes. Jellies and jams of various different fruits were in jars across the table. Emeralds and rubies on a platter were placed before Spike, along with some sapphires, amethysts, topaz, and various other gems. Even the legendary Chimicherrychanga, the creation of the magnificent gourmand Pinkie Pie, was being served. Cider from the reserves of the palace was brought, which seemed to have matured quite a bit. It was obvious Celestia was trying to convince them with a decadent meal and a bit of hard cider, but it was working nonetheless.

“So, will you do it?”

“Princess, you can try to buy my affection with all the cider you want, I’m not getting involved in this political junk.” said Rainbow.

Rainbow finished her meal, and head off.

“Come get me when Equestria is actually in danger.”

This seemed very odd to Twilight. Rainbow was the most loyal pony she had ever met, it wasn’t like her to leave her friends like this. Celestia was acting quite odd also.

“I’m afraid I don’t want to get involved in this either, you highness.” said Rarity, as she head off with Rainbow

“Surely my most loyal student will help me, right?” said Celestia.

“Of course, I trust your judgement.”

“If Twilight is coming, I’m coming too.” said Spike.

“And what about you, young apprentice?”

“I don’t feel like I should get involved, but I trust Twilight. I’ll help you.”

“Then it is settled. You two will be heading to Trottingham, where Prince Blueblood is located. Tell him you have come to visit, I’m sure he will be compliant when he hears Auntie Celestia’s students are coming.”

Twilight nodded, and finished her meal. Scroll took a big swig of cider.

“It will take us quite a while to get all the way to Trottingham.” Scroll said.

“Yeah, and Rainbow was our ride here.”

“Don’t worry, I can arrange an airship for you, it’ll take some time though, so why don’t you have some fun in town?”

“I suppose I could show Scroll around Canterlot.”

“I’ll send a message through Spike when it’s ready.”

Spike chomped down on a amethyst, and let out a fiery burp.

“Whew, I’m stuffed!” said Spike. “I’ll come with you guys, it’ll be nice to see Canterlot again, after living in Manehattan for so long.”

The three of them headed out, to see Rarity and Rainbow taking off in the Whirlwind.

“You’re really going to go through with this? Doesn’t this seem wrong?” said Rainbow.

“I have to trust Celestia.” said Twilight.

“I don’t want you going into danger.” said Rainbow.

“Then come with me! What about your loyalty? What about Princess Celestia?”

Rainbow had a pained expression on her face. Twilight had brought her element into this. She eventually gave in.

“...You’re right. I couldn’t go on letting you get hurt out there. If something really is going on, I want to be there with you. I don’t want to drag you into this Rarity, but are you coming too?”

“What else would you have me do? I can’t walk away now, can I? But I’m doing this for you all, not these games of Royalty.”

“I’ll go tell Celestia she doesn't need to get an Airship for us.” said Spike.

Spike walked off back into the palace, to tell Celestia of the news.

“It’s been a while, Twilight.” said Rainbow. “But you still look the same as ever.”

Rainbow, on the other hoof, looked quite more mature. She still had her young, happy-go-lucky attitude, but with a dash of willful determination, and understanding her limits. Twilight looked her over for a little while, this being the first time she had seen her in a long time.

“It’s just been so busy. I’ve spent most of time working on spells, and the library might as well be where I live, now. Somedays I wish I would have stayed in Ponyville. But, we really should get moving.”

Spike returned to the group, after informing Celestia. He had changed quite a lot as well. He was quite a bit taller, slightly above Twilight’s head. Scroll looked him over with curiosity.

“For a dragon, he doesn't seem very aggressive.” Scroll thought.

Spike seemed to have matured a lot, no longer as carefree. He was rather quiet, and only spoke when necessary. But he stayed just as loyal to Twilight as ever. Scroll could see it in his eyes, the way he looked at her. Twilight meant the world to him, and he would protect her at any cost.

“So, are we all prepared then?” asked Rarity.

“As ready as I’ll ever be.” said Rainbow.

They headed through the city, taking it in as they went. The city was not quite as industrial as Manehattan, with a more mercantile focus. Traders hauling all sorts of good came in on boats, trains, and airships. A statue of Princesses Luna and Celestia was the centerpiece of a fountain marking the center of the town. Various shops lined the streets, selling all sorts of goods, from the wondrous to the mundane. The skydocks were up ahead, and they all packed into the elevator, and shot into the sky once more. They boarded the Whirlwind, and Rainbow took the helm. The engine fired up, the Whirlwind came to life in a glorious exhale of smoke from the engines. The ship launched into the air, free in the skies. Twilight reached into her bag, and grabbed more materials for practicing magic. Quills, paper, the usual.

“We need more practice with animation spells.” Twilight said to Scroll.

She once more wrote on the paper, and asked him to copy by animating a quill. He focused his hardest, giving it instructions .But nothing happened. The spell didn’t backfire, it just didn’t work.

“Let me help with that.”

The two of them spent a good portion of the day practising. Rarity and Spike waited around with Rainbow, who was piloting through particularly clear skies, meaning easy flying.

“Do you really think there could be trouble?” Spike asked.

“I doubt it. Blueblood is a coward, he doesn't have the guts to do anything. He only became a lord because of his birth, he’s no leader.” said Rainbow.

“I wouldn’t be so sure about that.” said Rarity. “Feuding nobles can be dangerous, and after the way he treated me at the gala, I wouldn’t put him above any act of evil.” Rarity said with a grudge.

The three of them caught up with things, and were soon joined by Twilight and Scroll, done with practice for now. Scroll felt a bit out of place here, but also felt welcomed, and almost as if he had known them as old friends. The sun was high above them, and it was truly a beautiful day. Trottingham could be seen off in the distance, a rural town,mostly agricultural, not yet industrialized. It would still take some time to get there, and the five of them chatted idly while waiting. Eventually, the Whirlwind reached the town, and landed down on a flat plain of land outside the town.

“Well, I suppose we should get going.” said Rarity. “Although I’m not too enthusiastic about seeing Blueblood again...”

“Just please, try to act nicely towards him. We need to seem like we’re really just here on a visit to Trottingham.”

The ponies entered the village, and looked around. The buildings were small and old, but provided shelter for the people here. Most homes were still made from wood, with some stone incorporated into the homes of the rich. A few stores and businesses were scattered around. The palace was up ahead, where Blueblood would be. Everypony hoped Celestia was paranoid, but nopony could be sure. The palace was just ahead, and they entered.